Santa Sleigh       santa

The Big Yellow House-summerland, Ca (now Defunct)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ubriaca

Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

I don't know why I haven't thought of this place in so long! I grew up near this restaurant, and it used to be considered one of the more upscale dining establishments in the area.
It has been allegedly haunted for some time, and I do remember the last time I ate there (probably 7-8 years ago) feeling a bit creeped out and scared to use the bathroom by myself (this was of course, before I started researching the paranormal and now know I have nothing to be scared of).
Has anyone heard of it before, or been there?
Does anyone have any more information on it?

This is what I could find on the Internet:

Summerland Area mentions TBYH.

The Big Yellow House Photo
Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

#2 HocusPocus

HocusPocus

ghost@ghost.com

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, real life mysteries.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

Been there many a time.  My friend works down the street from there.  It is not a restaurant anymore.  

I have more information but I am off to get my hair done.  I will post everything I have along with other places near there that should be haunted if they are not already.

Things you might not know about Summerland.  
  • Now if you go down to the beach and turn left and go down a bit there is a nude beach there.
  • Oprah live not to far from this place.
  • Is mentioned in the Everclear song "Summerland", from their Sparkle and Fade album.
  • Is the main location in the T.V. show Summerland

Here is a picture from Ortega hill.

Edited by HocusPocus, 07 June 2008 - 04:34 PM.

#3 HocusPocus

HocusPocus

ghost@ghost.com

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:16 PM

The town of Summerland was settled in 1890 by a colony of spiritualist and the headquarter house was the home of a man named Henry Lafayette Williams. His home is today the Big Yellow House that is very visible from the 101 Freeway. The Big Yellow House is internationally known as one of the most haunted places in California.  It ust to functions as a restaurant.  When natural gas was discovered in Summerland it brought much commerce to the town. The Darling Brothers were among the most successful gas drillers. However, the spiritualists were not happy with the hardware popping up around the town and the drilling that was happening virtually in the streets. Perhaps the antagonism between the spiritualists and the gas drillers (and their descendants) is the reason that members of either side of the conflict seemed determined to ‘stick around’.

#4 HocusPocus

HocusPocus

ghost@ghost.com

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

On the way to Summerland you pass by La Conchita.  In 2004/2005 we had several storms come through which is not the norm for California.  The freeway from Ventura to Santa Barbara was flooded.  And the hill of La Conchita was soaked and could not hold anymore rain.  In January 2005 the hill slid down the hill on to homes below.  Ten people lost their lives there, four of which were from the same family.  A dad and his oldest daughter walked to the store for some ice cream.  On his way back the hill gave away and covered his house with his 3 other daughters and his wife.  They were buried 3 stored down.  I am sure (at least I hope) all of the ones who lost their lives have passed on.  But, I often wonder if this place is haunted.

#5 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE(Ubriaca @ Jun 6 2008, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been blinded for life by the yellow background.
Just sayin...

I remember the mudslide event in California. Not pretty.

#6 HocusPocus

HocusPocus

ghost@ghost.com

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:08 AM

I will be driving by there today, I have an interview in Santa Barbara.  Maybe when I am done I will stop by and see if I can get any pictures.

Well I forgot my camera.  Not to worry though it was foggy and the pics really would not have turned out very well.  We have June Gloom and we are lucky if it reaches 70 in June.  July should be much better we might get up to 74.

Edited by HocusPocus, 13 June 2008 - 05:50 PM.