The Haunted Locations Directory

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#1 Flubby

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel, music, film making, and audio production.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

Many of us love to ghost hunt, but don't know where to go per the city we're in, or where to look on this forum, as the threads are spread completely out of order across a number of pages.

Let's make it a little easier on ourselves, shall we?

Give us the name of your city and state, (outer laying lands may vary) and let us know of all the haunted places in that area that you can think of. Telling us a short history or providing a link to that location is a plus! Feel free to post information of other cities/states if you know then as well.

The whole point here is to make it easy for everyone who's interested in ghost hunting to know the locations, the history (if applicable), and what to look for while investigating that location. As places are added, I'll add them here to the first post, by location in alphabetical order to allow for easier access to the information. I'll also include credit to the member who gave us the information.

As the thread becomes bigger and bigger, and the information and areas become more vast, my overall goal is to enable ghost hunters alike to refer to this list of locations as a guide (if you will) to the places available for them to visit and investigate. If this all works the correct way, I'm hoping this will create more paranormal flow on the board, as well as more posts in other forums about how their visit went and/or what they may have caught.

It's always good to know about the haunted locations around you. Share what you know with everyone, and let's make this happen!

#2 Flubby

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel, music, film making, and audio production.

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

LOCATION DIRECTORY

Contents listed in ABC order of city, state, and country.

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:

Alabama:

Alaska:

Arizona:

Arkansas:

California:

Colorado:

Connecticut:

Delaware:

Florida:

Georgia:

Hawaii:

Idaho:

Illinois:

Indiana:

Iowa:

Kansas:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:

Maine:

Maryland:

Massachusetts

Michigan:

Minnesota:

Mississippi:

Missouri:

Montana:

Nebraska:

Nevada:

New Hampshire:

New Jersey:

New Mexico:

New York:

North Carolina:

North Dakota:

Ohio:

Oklahoma:

Oregon:

Pennsylvania:

Rhode Island:

South Carolina:

South Dakota:

Tennessee:

Texas:

Utah:

Vermont:

Virginia:

Washington:

West Virginia:

Wisconsin:

Wyoming:

Edited by Flubby, 05 November 2009 - 01:34 PM.

#3 petunia4998

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

flubby, that's a wonderful idea, but www.theshadowlands.net already already exists for the same purpose.  Would there be something different about your website?   bunny.gif

#4 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(petunia4998 @ Nov 10 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
flubby, that's a wonderful idea, but www.theshadowlands.net already already exists for the same purpose.  Would there be something different about your website?   bunny.gif

Unfortunately shadowlands postings are unconfirmed reports and they don't make an effort to validate them. Also, many of the locations aren't accessible because of private or government land with criminal trespassing charges resulting if caught. I've also heard that some of the locations don't even exist which further confirms they're not validated. I think this might be a great idea to have submissions from those who have actually INVESTIGATED these locations. Great IDEA!

Edited by evp, 10 November 2009 - 04:45 PM.

#5 mainemom207

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Interests:History of places, haunted or not..
    Love cooking and making new things and new recipes are always fun! And well.. Love Cemeteries and Folklore and Love to hear of the History of the United States as well as Abroad.. which has a vast history all by itself!

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

Wow Maine has a LOT of places! Where to start is my question.. I will have to go investigate and come back to you on this.. but do remember EVP no matter where ANYONE goes you want permissions from the town and/or owner of the site.. all the sites that people have gone too.. in my list in Maine well have had some kind of permission handwritten from the town and/or the owner's permission..
Soo always remember to put in permission is necessary if it is.. but i have a list no problem with this! LOL

My Signature
Interested in spirits and the history of places..
Peace and Blessings, Lynne'

Posted Image

#6 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,029 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

I just google the city and the words "haunted locations" and get plenty of stuff. Shadowlands lhas a good list, at least for my area.
My Signature
Posted Image

#7 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(mainemom207 @ Nov 10 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow Maine has a LOT of places! Where to start is my question.. I will have to go investigate and come back to you on this.. but do remember EVP no matter where ANYONE goes you want permissions from the town and/or owner of the site.. all the sites that people have gone too.. in my list in Maine well have had some kind of permission handwritten from the town and/or the owner's permission..
Soo always remember to put in permission is necessary if it is.. but i have a list no problem with this! LOL

That's why I said don't rely on Shadowlands. I always have permission...I investigate only historical buildings and always works the proper channels...

#8 mainemom207

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
    Love cooking and making new things and new recipes are always fun! And well.. Love Cemeteries and Folklore and Love to hear of the History of the United States as well as Abroad.. which has a vast history all by itself!

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

Okay I have some places that you will still need some permission to get to and be at.. but you can go to and they have been studied and done all ready by other groups and groups out here in Maine.. so here is my list...

Case Cemetary
North Manchester, Maine
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mecreadf...Case%20Cemetery
Also known as Scribner cemetery
This is Manchester, Maine on Scribner Road.

Okay let me warn you about this Cemetery.... I have not been out there and not sure I want to.. there is a part of it that is all nice looking and warm and fuzzy and then you got the woods behind all this nice warm and fuzzy place.. that is dark and ominous.. i guess and that is where the trouble truly begins
Everyone in the Paranormal Investigators group that I know personally in Maine here have had some experiences there, the first was that of a black spirit that landed in front of one investigator and vanishes...
the next was just noises and voices and such.. but the third time..
was where they had one of the investigators was attacked with scratches..on the neck.. and they had it on film...
So if you go here, use major caution this cemetery is nothing to mess with!
this cemetery also has other stories from others who have come to tell our group and the things people have experienced there have been overwhelming to say the least! They have experienced things close to or just as bad as the group did.. so use really good caution and yes this group is very spiritual and did a lot of prayer and a lot of spiritual coverage, but the barrier was still broken.. the spirits there are seemingly stronger then some barriers and protections that they used.. that night..
so if you go there, use caution and the police do go to this cemetery so you need to have permission from the town offices before going there.. that is a must..or the cops will remove you.. sometimes you need a slip of paper just saying that you are allowed to be there this night from the town office type of thing.. yah like a note at school lol smile.gif  also the two times they been there, gun shots have gone off like right next to them, not in the distance, like right next to them, they have EVPs of it.. the gunshots happened right after the scratches showed up the last time the group was there, the first time gunshots went off when the group was there but no one was hurt then so who ever it is gunshots like to go off at times there so don't jump too far out of your skin on that one either..
They say that during the day or night you go there you will get activity of some sort.. I wanted to go during the day, you know a bright nice sunshiny day..  now I am not so sure I want to step foot in the thing!
It is called by the Folk around Maine by the Mainah's here.. the "Devil's Footprint Cemetery" Why? Because there is an old legend with this cemetery..
And the rock is there... why the legend.. I guess way back in the day before they had machinery.. there was a work crew that wanted to move the rock out of the way of the new road going in.. and well they could not move this big boulder of a rock out of the way.. so a crew worker stated you know I would give my soul to the Devil if I could get this rock moved out of the way so we could finish this job and go home.. The guys all laughed and went on for the day to where they were going to stay until the next day to figure out how to move the rock. Well when they all returned the next morning the guy who said this (never say what you don't mean) was not there... and the rock was moved all right and on the rock was the footprint of a hoof and the footprint of a human foot.. they have tried to paint it and sand it and everything else.. off of there over the years, well it always returns.. sure it is fading over time but it is still there.. and very able to see..Anyways that is the main thing that attracts tourists to this spot.. just that..
You will find little about this place on the net except through our groups forum.. which if you put in a Google "Devil's Footprint" You will find our forum groups and can read all the stuff on the place, quite a bit of people put in their stories as well when we posted and all..
But other then that you may not find any other experiences around the net other then with the other forum I am on as I have researched and researched and found nothing..
Riceville Maine

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/1275...d#comments-post

Riceville, Maine is an old tannery town and though there is not much history on this place at all there is some ghost investigators that are looking more and more into this place and finding new things about it all the time and interesting things.. i think some of it is up for sale now so if you all want to see it may want to soon, it does have a graveyard there that is supposedly fairly active or said to be as far as the town it has disintegrated away over time.. and my understanding now is that well it is nothing more then fields but i have also heard that there are still some foundation out there.. interesting story to it though what i have heard.. it is not an easy way to get into to it, have to do some hiking and be adventurous in the woods! smile.gif  I have not been there and trying to get the exact place to it is a trip! It is a hard place to find I guess unless you really know how to get there.. so we hope with the news article to get at least a little closer to finding it.. smile.gif

Poland Hitch Hiker also known as Catherine’s Hill:

http://www.wabi.tv/news/8289/spooky-encoun...catherines-hill

http://www.sunjournal.com/node/49880

http://www.sunjournal.com/node/104075

http://strangemaine.blogspot.com/2009/08/g...from-gloom.html

Comment: This Story is about a young girl in her 20's walking on the roads of route 26 in between the Poland Community school and the Poland Spring Inn. The ghost wears a white billowy dress, pale skin, light red lipstick with dark hair. She will only appear to people that she has a message for. She gets in your car, and makes a prediction, a scary one. Then, at the George Knight Murder sight, she gets out. But you don't have to open your door or slow down. Because she will vanish at that very spot, every time. By the way, all her predictions so far, have come true. By Sophie Spiller and Melora Lavoie of Poland Maine

Skowhegan Theatre in Skowhegan Maine
one of the most 50 haunted theatres in the united states...

Witch trot road...
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoID=56550203

Supposedly witches were brought up this road and hung in the road and I guess some amatuer video people went out to do an investigation and got an possible orb of light and felt some touching but other then that nothing to eventful I think anyways..

Okay so that is the ones that I know people have investigated and searched out and such.. the others I am not sure anyone has really searched out there are a few haunted houses in Maine and hotels and beds and breakfasts but unless you are staying there and have permission from landowners well you are not able to just go there and find it..
and do what to do... without major permission so I hope that is what you all wanted and this puts Maine on here for your listing.. If anyone else has anything to add for Maine dig in and do so...
I know we have many haunted lighthouses but you all need like special Coast Guard permission to even begin to get out there and investigate those places when the group i know and belong to tried to get into a few of them they were told not at this time and other excuses so they are pretty well off limits and stuff.. OR you can only go on the groovy tours and they are really boring and not too ghostly at all.. I mean they push you along and all...

So that is my stories and I hope you enjoyed them smile.gif
And hopefully they can be used and enjoyed...
My Signature

Posted Image

#9 mainemom207

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(evp @ Nov 10 2009, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's why I said don't rely on Shadowlands. I always have permission...I investigate only historical buildings and always works the proper channels...

Oh I did not Mean YOU in general EVP i figured you always have permission and the rest of the group here the same way.. too.. as for shadowlands.. it is a great site I agree with all the places for Maine but some are so private you would not be able to do an investigation.. they talk of homes and private buildings and schools and all yah right a school wants you all investigating it when it is an elementary school I can see how well that would go with some parents here in Maine LOL smile.gif NOT!
OH and I agree with working with the proper channels for permission always EVP wasn't even including anyone in this group at all.. because people here are the more educated and smart ones here...on this group it is the ones out there that just want to do this for the looky loo fun fun part of the thrill that worries me and ruin it for those who are seriously into this for helping others with problems and want to seriously do this for education and more information on the place and/or history of it.. and then they cannot because all the looky loo fun fun idiots out there did not get the proper permissions and spoiled it for the real educated people that are on this site smile.gif Was not putting you EVP in the looky loo fun fun thrill seekers LOL
Not even lol

My Signature

Posted Image

#10 josta

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

I agree with the comment on Shadowlands.  There is a "haunted location" given as Jamul, CA, where there is a story about a "speeding train" hitting a school bus that was stopped on the train tracks, killing all the children on board the bus, and how if you'd stop in that location in your car nowadays, the car would roll forward by itself, and you'd find handprints of children on the rear of the car supposedly pushing your car out of harm's way.

Only problem is, there are no train tracks whatsoever in Jamul.  The closest tracks are in the mountains at least 20 miles away in Campo, and the tracks there are winding with sharp curves as it's in the mountains.  So, no train could possibly be "speeding"...maybe 10-15 MPH tops due to the sharp curves.

Anyways I wrote Shadowlands about this.  Never got a response and the story remains in place on their site.

#11 musicman_83

Orb

• GS Member
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Gaming (ps3, xbox, WoW), music, Reading and writing fantasy/horror/sci-fi.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE(josta @ Nov 19 2009, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with the comment on Shadowlands.  There is a "haunted location" given as Jamul, CA, where there is a story about a "speeding train" hitting a school bus that was stopped on the train tracks, killing all the children on board the bus, and how if you'd stop in that location in your car nowadays, the car would roll forward by itself, and you'd find handprints of children on the rear of the car supposedly pushing your car out of harm's way.

Only problem is, there are no train tracks whatsoever in Jamul.  The closest tracks are in the mountains at least 20 miles away in Campo, and the tracks there are winding with sharp curves as it's in the mountains.  So, no train could possibly be "speeding"...maybe 10-15 MPH tops due to the sharp curves.

Anyways I wrote Shadowlands about this.  Never got a response and the story remains in place on their site.

Weird coincidence.  I just watched a movie called "Fingerprints" last night with the exact same story.  I don't recall it claiming to be based on any true events though.
My Signature
Finally got my dark fantasy novella up on Amazon Kindle Bookstore, Title: Brotherhood of the Claw
My rotten writing blog: http://www.cfkitchen.com

#12 PumpkinWraith

1D's #1 Fan

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts
  • Interests:Mainly my family and chatting to and getting to know the many good friends I've made here over the years. I love Rock, Metal and alternative music as well as having a profound interest in the paranormal.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

Flubby, Can we play?  You didn't mention UK smile.gif
My Signature

Posted Image

The Aliens said I could take a friend next time. Apply below ......but no mad people!

I <3 One Direction. Harry 4Ever!

#13 BethVanderLippe

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:32 PM

I agree with the Shadowlands not being a reliable place. I live in Kansas and there's a location where a boat is supposed to be in a wooded area and you can hear people crying. Umm, how the heck is a BOAT supposed in get into KANSAS? In a WOODED AREA? How many THOUSAND'S of wooded areas are there? Shadowlands is kind of like another website out there, involving cemeteries, and I've e-mailed them a few times telling them a few of their cemetery locations are incorrect, but they don't listen. Are they afraid that their places aren't correct? Or that the claims are made up? I always figure if the sites are willing to post misinformation, they're not that good of a website.  Picture 483.gif

#14 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(BethVanderLippe @ May 17 2010, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Umm, how the heck is a BOAT supposed in get into KANSAS? In a WOODED AREA? How many THOUSAND'S of wooded areas are there?

LMAO!! This made me giggle!!

I think that as a starting place to look into where there could be haunted places the Shadowlands is a good place. There are a plethora of websites out there to double and triple check too. smile.gif

#15 LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:History, Civil War re-enacting, giving ghost/history tours, paranormal investigation

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

I won't venture too far into my vendetta against the Shadowlands index...but I will agree that for my state, there are so many errors listed that its unreal.  That list gets copied and passed around on a LOT on other haunted websites for WV, further spreading misinformation.  

So...a few years ago I made it my personal mission to not only expand the list of haunted sites in West Virginia, but to also research the ones listed, and provide people with the correct information and sources for further research.  And thus, Theresa's Haunted History of the Tri-State was born.  My main focus has always been West Virginia, but there's a smattering of Ohio and Kentucy locations since my group is located right on the border and do investigate a lot in these other states.  There's also a page featuring some of my favorite haunted places around the country.

Hehe, unfortunately, I've well overexceeded my bandwidth.  It's a free site, and I had NO IDEA that it would ever get as much traffic and be linked as much as it does...so its in danger of being shut down, lol.  So, if you're interested, feel free to stop by and take a look around!  There's also a Weird History section, and a famous ghost photo page; I try to cater to those even outside of my region.
My Signature
October 23 and 30th: Guyandotte's Ghostly Encounters Candlelight Walking Tour

#16 alucard789

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:guitar.writing.reading,studying the unknown

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:39 AM

Although I do not plan on doing any extensive travelling, its nice to know these places for the future and to even read up on their historys now.
I grew up in Georgetown, mass., which is not too far from Salem, Mass. and about 5 years ago I moved to Salem, Mass., I was single at the time and thought it would be cool to actually live in the town where they had the famous witch trials. Plus there are so many other historically haunted places there and for someone like me who spends half my time playing guitar and the other half researching the paranormal that this was an awsome place to live, especially around Halloween where the town goes nuts with people from all over the country, even in summertime people take vacations there so its crowded at times.
Anyway I wanted to share a few places where anyone might be interested in reading about or even visiting. First there is a place where T.A.P.S. went, its called the Lycium. Now its a restaurant and other various stores attached and actually I do not know much of its history to be honest with you but I figured if they went there, there must be something supposedly haunting theplace. Next there is the actual building where the witch trials took place. In the summer they have people dress up in period costumes and re inact the trials themselves. Then there is my favorite place, its right next to a really old graveyard with most of the prominent people in Salem at the time[1600"s] are buried, many of them sea captains. Right next to this is a place where they built a c shaped memorial to the witches in granite and you can sit on the stones themselves and each one hAS THE NAME OF THE ACCUSED AND THE DATE THEY WERE PUT TO DEATH. Not all of them were hung, some were stoned to death and I believe at least one was burned to death, Im sorry but I cannot remember exactly how many there are altogether as it has been awhile since I have been there.
They also have the House of seven gables, a house which of course is built with 7 gables and it is suppusedly haunted, you can take a tour through the house. They also have gallows hill, where the actual hangings took place, and lastly[there are many more] the famous witch Laurie Cabot lives there. I myself never went by her home but I am sure you can. There are also a lot of occult bookstores and other stores capturing the tourist trade with shirts and such, but the town itself is so steeped in history if any place was haunted it would have to be there at least I would think so.
I used to go sit at the witches memorial and try to think on how they felt after being tortured and sentenced to death, you can feel the energy in certain spots it is probably residual but none the less there.
Hope this helped a little but most of you probably knew this stuff anyway but for those who didn't its all worth seeing if you ever get the chance. I grew up so close to Salem and had been there so many times that I just took it for granted that places were haunted as a little kid and it fueled my fascination with the paranormal. alucard789
My Signature
Do not let your shadow catch you, alucard789

#17 sarasaradg

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

there are two very well known places in daviess county indiana

the ND high school and elementary school was built on property owned by a farmer. the farmers son fell in the well and died. there has been reports of a little boy (about age 10) playing basketball in the gym. when he is spotted he will dissapear. there is also a report of a indian burial  ground being located there hundreds of years ago. teachers and students have reported hearing voices, footsteps, and flickering lights. the last story about ND is that in the 70s a girl was being  teased so one day she brought a gun to school and shot herself in the bathroom. there has been many deaths on this property as well. a teacher had fallen over dead in the office because of a heartattack. and a girls car was ran over by a semi and she was smashed to death on the turnoff to the school. the girl was going to cheer at the basketball game (she was a cheerleader)

the Hasler house is very famous. one day the family had 27 fires that started fro nothing. the fires were in the 1940s and they had no electricity. one fire started from the inside of a book. another burnt a pair of overalls in to ashes. nothing valuable was caught on fire. the family slept under neath the stars that night. the next day mr. hasler took down the house and built a new house out of the materials about a mile away. they never had the experience again. the house he built after the fires still stands  next door to a electronics store

these hauntings are in the same town but i will not mention the name

#18 BlueAngel

Disembodied Voice

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Interested in the paranormal, and I am proud I just published my first book regarding my haunting.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:52 PM

Lady In Black? Have you ever researched information on "The Sallie House?"
My Signature
YOU CANT SCARE ME, I HAVE KIDS

#19 LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:History, Civil War re-enacting, giving ghost/history tours, paranormal investigation

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE(BlueAngel @ Jul 2 2010, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lady In Black? Have you ever researched information on "The Sallie House?"

As in the one in Kansas?  Not really.  I've seen a few shows featuring it and the rest of Atchison, and have read a few things online...

...but if we have a request, I'll do a formal write up for my site!  There's no Kansas entry yet, and with the first set of tours over and done with, I'll have a little more free time now.

Edited by LadyNBlack, 04 July 2010 - 08:59 AM.

My Signature
October 23 and 30th: Guyandotte's Ghostly Encounters Candlelight Walking Tour

#20 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

Brick Kiln Lane, Pembroke, Massachusetts

On this one lane road a tapping sound can be heard... tap, pause, tap, pause, tap..., starting from the river end of the lane and proceeding down to the corner of Brick Kiln Lane and Route 53. It is believed to be the ghost of Barker Turner. He had a wooden leg, which is what you hear tapping. When living he had run the Brick Kiln Shipyard. The Brick Kiln Shipyard is where the Boston Tea Party ship the 'Beaver' was built.
My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com