• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan (born Raymond Louis Heenan on November 1, 1944) passed away today at the age of 72.  He was best known in the wrestling world as a manager for both Andre the Giant and "Nature Boy" Ric Flair, as well as a frequent color commentator in World Championship Wrestling (WCW) from January 1994 to November 2000.  His style of commentating was very colorful, and sometimes went over the top, as he would act as the heel of the broadcast team.  He would more often than not make excuses for wrestlers who cheated, but he was also looked at as a staple of the wrestling community as bringing energy to wrestling events that no other commentator had.

Posted Image

Andre the Giant and Bobby Heenan

Posted Image

Bobby Heenan and Ric Flair

Posted Image

Bobby Heenan, Tony Schiavone, and Dusty Rhodes at a WCW event in 1996
Posted Image

#2 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

Hi, NightWalker:

I'm not a sports follower although I can tell you that my gf's dad was a big fan of wrestling.  He'd be hooting and hollering and slamming his fist on the coffee table and send their whole household into a tizzy.   And I know that he would know exactly who you are talking about.

May both RIP.

#3 The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again

The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

Growing up listening to him and Gorilla Monsoon doing commentary was such a pleasure and so hilarious.Wonderful manager too,he will surely be missed by the entire world of wrestling and it's fans.

Edited by The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again, 17 September 2017 - 09:00 PM.

#4 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

View PostMenet, on 17 September 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

Hi, NightWalker:

I'm not a sports follower although I can tell you that my gf's dad was a big fan of wrestling.  He'd be hooting and hollering and slamming his fist on the coffee table and send their whole household into a tizzy.   And I know that he would know exactly who you are talking about.

May both RIP.

Hi Menet :)

Sounds like your friend's dad knows his sports very well.  I'm sure he was upset at the news.

View PostThe_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again, on 17 September 2017 - 08:58 PM, said:

Growing up listening to him and Gorilla Monsoon doing commentary was such a pleasure and so hilarious.Wonderful manager too,he will surely be missed by the entire world of wrestling and it's fans.

His presence in wrestling in the 80s and 90s was amazing.  It would have been great to hear Bobby Heenan, Jerry Lawler, Jim Ross announce a match together.
Posted Image