89 replies to this topic

#21 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(Off Duty Cop @ Mar 2 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mairmoe - While we have many folks on the forums who come close to the description of being an "expert" when it comes to the field of photography, I'm a firm believer in the fact that there are no "experts" in the field of paranormal research. I'm not sure what angle you were going for in your post, but I felt the need to through out an opinion. :PAs for your picture, is this a cropped, or scaled down image? If so, do you have the unaltered original? If you do, it would be great if you could post it here, so that we may see the picture in it's entirety. I feel that by doing so, you'll get more educated opinions in regards to whether or not the anomaly is paranormal in nature.
I just posted the entire photo from photobucket. is smaller so hoipe you  all here can save and zoon in for yourself.
QUOTE(Vlawde @ Mar 2 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, the full picture, what was going on at the time etc would be useful info.
check out the photo now. and zoom in yourself, theweather was overcast, not sunny, no flare, no glare, it is whatever it is.
QUOTE(Snowlord @ Mar 2 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I personally don't see that. All I see is what looks like a lens flare, with severe chromatic aberration causing it to be deeply colored, and some details behind it that show through and could be mistaken for features. This is a common flaw in many photographs. It would help in the identification to have the full size, unaltered original picture to work with.
I just downloaded the entire photo, uncropped, see for yourself
QUOTE(mairmoe @ Mar 3 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I try to post the whole photo this site says it is too big. so will see if I can post the way you suggested, thanks so much! or I can send to whatever address you want.
Take another look, no loonie here. thanks for your opinion. I believe it is Sir David Leslie.

#22 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,024 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

Ok, here is the original image (by the way, you can go to Photobucket options and set the upload size larger, for future reference)  Under the pic I've posted the camera information, it looks like the original pic was relatively small...unless the size below is what photobucket is set at.

It looks like the sun is to the left of where the purple spot is, lending credence to the possibility that it is indeed sun flare. And as said above, when you blow something that size up like the cropped version, you lose most detail...so anything you might see that resembles facial features etc is simply artifacts/pixels from getting blown up.

File Name: ghostofStMonance.jpg

File Size: 75 kb - 480 x 640

Camera Make: Canon

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot G6

Date/Time: 2005:04:19 02:14:26

Resolution: 480 x 640

Flash Used: No

Focal Length: 7.2mm (35mm equivalent: 36mm)

CCD Width: 7.21mm

Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)

Aperture: f/4.0

Whitebalance: Auto

Metering Mode: matrix

Posted Image

#23 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

What an interesting looking ruin!

I would love to visit there, & maybe have a quick swordfight or two.  smile.gif

Regards, Canis

#24 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ Mar 3 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, here is the original image (by the way, you can go to Photobucket options and set the upload size larger, for future reference)  Under the pic I've posted the camera information, it looks like the original pic was relatively small...unless the size below is what photobucket is set at.

It looks like the sun is to the left of where the purple spot is, lending credence to the possibility that it is indeed sun flare. And as said above, when you blow something that size up like the cropped version, you lose most detail...so anything you might see that resembles facial features etc is simply artifacts/pixels from getting blown up.

File Name: ghostofStMonance.jpg

File Size: 75 kb - 480 x 640

Camera Make: Canon

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot G6

Date/Time: 2005:04:19 02:14:26

Resolution: 480 x 640

Flash Used: No

Focal Length: 7.2mm (35mm equivalent: 36mm)

CCD Width: 7.21mm

Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)

Aperture: f/4.0

Whitebalance: Auto

Metering Mode: matrix

First it is too large to load up here and now is too small? Well, I disagree with the flare theory, the sun was NOT shinning, was cloudy and overcast, did you look at the portrait of Sir David Leslie or look up the castle? St Monance.
His eyes are closed, looking down. is just a face. next to his face looks like another spirit of a woman also. I also have a great imagination being a artist, but if... I haven't seen ghosts before or lived in a TWO haunted houses in my life I might just think it was a flare.

#25 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

it is NOT necessarily to have a bright light source (thought that does increase the likelihood of a flare) Or even a sunny day to have a lens flare effect.

a cloudy day is just as likely, depending on the angle of the sun, other elements, and the camera setting.

I got a rather substantial SIMILAR flare INDOORS in early morning predawn hours.

#26 xjadedx

xjadedx

Baby Girl

• GS Member
  • 7,709 posts
  • Interests:anything paranormal, cooking, beer, celtic culture and art, irish step dancing, constellations, backpacking, anything to do with cheese

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

Considering a flash wasn't used to take the photo, I find it pretty bright, and a pretty good candidate for lens flare.  I find it a little hard to believe that the sun wasn't shining AT ALL, because the top right corner of the photo shows blue sky.

Nevertheless, you asked for advice, and people are giving it to you.  Sometimes you just have to take it for what it's worth.

xjadedx

"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on." --Led Zepplin

#27 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(xjadedx @ Mar 3 2009, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering a flash wasn't used to take the photo, I find it pretty bright, and a pretty good candidate for lens flare.  I find it a little hard to believe that the sun wasn't shining AT ALL, because the top right corner of the photo shows blue sky.

Nevertheless, you asked for advice, and people are giving it to you.  Sometimes you just have to take it for what it's worth.

Thanks, and the sun wasn't shinning, I was there, it had been raining, but stopped when we got there to photograph.
Would love to see a 'flare' with a face looking just like a face in a portrait,of a man who lived in THAT castle.
as seen here, or go to the website St Monance and you will see the photo there as well, the owner of the castle thinks it is him.

#28 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

First off mairmoe, if you come to Ghoststudy and ask for advice on a photo, please don't expect everyone to jump on it and say "oohhh great cap".
We have alot of photo experts here, including professional photographers, so if you ask for their opinion you are going to get it.

Myself, i am not a photographer but i have been here for some years and learnt alot and your picture looks like hundreds of lens flare and sun flare pictures i've seen. I believe it is coincidence that it looks similar to the other picture you posted.
"True Love Is Like Ghosts, Which Everyone Talks About But Few Have Seen"

#29 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(ClarinaGStudy @ Mar 3 2009, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off mairmoe, if you come to Ghoststudy and ask for advice on a photo, please don't expect everyone to jump on it and say "oohhh great cap".
We have alot of photo experts here, including professional photographers, so if you ask for their opinion you are going to get it.

Myself, i am not a photographer but i have been here for some years and learnt alot and your picture looks like hundreds of lens flare and sun flare pictures i've seen. I believe it is coincidence that it looks similar to the other picture you posted.

Would love to see photos of flares...with faces.  
I wasn't expecting anything, just don't think it is a flare. I appreciate comments positive or negative.
I have seen an angel,it appeared to me just before a bad accident I was in. the color was so white like electric blueish liht. also lived in a house for 2 years, where two women one was pregnant died as they were electricuted in a hottub. While we lived ther I was pregnant, one day, I thought my husband had just walked in the room, and put his hand around my belly, I jumped and said, Hey Jim don't scare me like that, as I turned around there was no one there, I believe it was the pregnant woman. It was deffinantly someone. didn't get a photo of that either.

#30 xjadedx

xjadedx

Baby Girl

• GS Member
  • 7,709 posts
  • Interests:anything paranormal, cooking, beer, celtic culture and art, irish step dancing, constellations, backpacking, anything to do with cheese

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(mairmoe @ Mar 3 2009, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would love to see photos of flares...with faces.  
I wasn't expecting anything, just don't think it is a flare. I appreciate comments positive or negative.
I have seen an angel,it appeared to me just before a bad accident I was in. the color was so white like electric blueish liht. also lived in a house for 2 years, where two women one was pregnant died as they were electricuted in a hottub. While we lived ther I was pregnant, one day, I thought my husband had just walked in the room, and put his hand around my belly, I jumped and said, Hey Jim don't scare me like that, as I turned around there was no one there, I believe it was the pregnant woman. It was deffinantly someone. didn't get a photo of that either.

If you look closely at the original scaled down version of the FLARE, you will see that this "face" you are talking about is just the texture of the brick the building is made of.

I am not even close to being an expert here, but I guarantee if you Google lens flare/sun flare and compare your photo to the ones you find, they will be very similar.

As for your experiences, that is totally different....they have nothing to do with this photo, which is what everyone is trying to help you with.

Just because you claim to have felt/seen ghosts or apparitions doesn't automatically mean that every abnormality in a photo is a ghost, too.  We try to eliminate all other causes first, and in this case, it seems like a flare is what the purple spot is, not a face.

xjadedx

"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on." --Led Zepplin

#31 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

Whether the Sun is behind cloud or not, it is obvious from the photo that the light coming from the upper left corner is definitely bright enough to cause a lens flare. And I am sure that this is what it is. The textures and shapes seen in this flare are surely just detail showing through from the wall behind it. The color of the flare is caused by something called chromatic aberration, which is a property of light being refracted through the lens.

Sorry, but I really can't believe that a professional National Geographic photographer would not recognize this as a lens flare. Maybe you could get him/her to join and give their opinions.

#32 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(Snowlord @ Mar 3 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whether the Sun is behind cloud or not, it is obvious from the photo that the light coming from the upper left corner is definitely bright enough to cause a lens flare. And I am sure that this is what it is. The textures and shapes seen in this flare are surely just detail showing through from the wall behind it. The color of the flare is caused by something called chromatic aberration, which is a property of light being refracted through the lens.

Sorry, but I really can't believe that a professional National Geographic photographer would not recognize this as a lens flare. Maybe you could get him/her to join and give their opinions.

No reason to be nasty, don't care if you believe or not... have many friends who are professional photographers and none of them say what you say, they all see a face, and they saw my original photo without photobucket resizing, but thanks for your opinion, hava great day!

#33 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

Sorry ... I'm not intending to be nasty. I honestly would like to talk to these photographers and see why they disagree with it being lens flare. I think it would be a valid part of this discussion.

#34 The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again

The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:22 AM

after seeing the bigger version of the picture,i agree with the others,sun glare/lens flare.

#35 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, art, scrapbooking, listening to loud music, reading, photography, writing, are you still reading this? Seriously?

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:00 AM

Just wanted to add, in the version Vlawde posted, if you look slightly to the right of the "purple blob", there looks to be the shadow of someone leaning over, it looks like they are standing on a little ledge.  Maybe just another illusion, but it really caught my eye.

The purple lens flares I always seem to get are alot more transparent than this.   Just another observation, I am not a pro. photographer.  

Also, Mairmoe, no one is doubting any of your paranormal experiences that you have had in your life.  However, just because you have seen a ghost, doesn't mean you have caught one on film.  (Of course, it doesn't mean you haven't either.)  I understand your frustration, but remember, this is a paranormal forum, we are all pretty open minded here.   People are doubting your photo, not you or your experiences.  I would love to hear more about your experiences.
Life's a match in a gas tank, don't ever mourn the ebbing tide, just dance on fire and enjoy the ride.

#36 Roxstar

Roxstar

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, ghost and after life research, family, music, science, video games. I am mostly into EVP but also love to use spirit boxes and other forms of communication. It's a true passion of mine, more than a hobby.

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:47 AM

Thank you for posting the full pic Mairmoe, it definitely helps. As far as I can tell, it isn't lens flare, or at least not the common thousands of pics with lens flare I have seen. It looks more solid, and has a weird shape. Whether it's a ghost or not, I have no idea. Looks like so far I am one of the few that agree there is something different about it, but that is okay. Everyone on here is opinionated, some higher than others, but we all do have our 2-5 cents, just like a family.....

"What Scares You, Masters You."

-UNKNOWN-

#37 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(Ms. Tify @ Mar 4 2009, 04:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wanted to add, in the version Vlawde posted, if you look slightly to the right of the "purple blob", there looks to be the shadow of someone leaning over, it looks like they are standing on a little ledge.  Maybe just another illusion, but it really caught my eye.The purple lens flares I always seem to get are alot more transparent than this.   Just another observation, I am not a pro. photographer.  Also, Mairmoe, no one is doubting any of your paranormal experiences that you have had in your life.  However, just because you have seen a ghost, doesn't mean you have caught one on film.  (Of course, it doesn't mean you haven't either.)  I understand your frustration, but remember, this is a paranormal forum, we are all pretty open minded here.   People are doubting your photo, not you or your experiences.  I would love to hear more about your experiences.
Thank you for that very nice opinion.
QUOTE(Roxstar @ Mar 4 2009, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for posting the full pic Mairmoe, it definitely helps. As far as I can tell, it isn't lens flare, or at least not the common thousands of pics with lens flare I have seen. It looks more solid, and has a weird shape. Whether it's a ghost or not, I have no idea. Looks like so far I am one of the few that agree there is something different about it, but that is okay. Everyone on here is opinionated, some higher than others, but we all do have our 2-5 cents, just like a family.....
Thank you very much for being nice and for your open minded thoughts.

#38 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

When professional photographers can avoid orbs/flares as a matter of... "if this photo has unintended glitches I won't get paid for it."  they learn to recognize the causes of these effects and avoid them for the most part.

If years of photographic skills = almost never have these effects, then I'm going to think that these effects, for the most part, are NOT paranormal.

Just because it isn't the most common sort of lens flare, doesn't mean it isn't lens flare.
The larger photo tells us that there is 1) enough light 2) light at the right angle to PROBABLY cause lens flare.

Lens flares also seem more dense and more colorful when they occur in digital cameras, in part, because of the tiny lens, and in part due to how these cameras are programmed.

#39 Stride

Stride

Apport

• GS Member
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Photography (Actually, more than an interest, I'm a professional), Producing Video/DVDs (A side job), Music (Really into Dream Theater), Movies (Horror)

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

Far too many variables are involved in producing lens flare to state that this isn't the right shape/size/color/etc... to be lens flare. Things that play a part in producing these attributes of lens flare: Size/shape/color of the light source, angle of the light source in relationship to the angle of the lens, any contaminate between the light source and the lens ie: the top corner of a building causing a "dent" appearance in the lower right of the flare, type of coating on the lens, amount of curvature in the lens, thickness of the glass (lens), focal length, aperture (f-stop), shutter speed, and as Trin stated - type of camera (film/digital) and how it's programmed, plus numerous other variables to be considered.

I, also, would love to speak with these other "professional photographers" so I could better understand why they think this isn't lens flare and how they come to their determinations. Would it be possible to get them to join the boards?

The face, in my opinion, is just an illusion. Pareidolia.

Do a Yahoo image search on lens flare and you'll see many size, shape, and color examples of lens flare.

#40 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, art, scrapbooking, listening to loud music, reading, photography, writing, are you still reading this? Seriously?

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

Does anyone else see the figure behind the purple blob?
Life's a match in a gas tank, don't ever mourn the ebbing tide, just dance on fire and enjoy the ride.