#141 Judecat

Judecat

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

View Postvalpro99, on 01 August 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

Here's a satellite photo of the Triangle field.  I've marked the rock and the stone wall running down the hill.  My mistake earlier.  The road winding through the woods behind the rock is Detrobriand and not Sickles.  
The trees at the bottom of the hill have all been cut down.  I believe I heard someone say they did that in 2008 when I was last there.

Posted Image

Because I have problems with directions and spaces and orientation,  Devils Den is down? Behind that road at the bottom?  or is Devil's Den to the right?

Yes,  they have cut down all the non civil war period trees on the battlefield within the past 4 or 5 years.  They have also restored period fences and orchards.  And they got rid of that stupid haunted outhouse across plum rum from the Den when they took down the trees that were hiding it.

Current plan is that my friend and I are going up there again late September or October,  when the weather cools off.  It's been too darn hot for a couple of handicapped old ladies to be tromping around outdoors for the past few months.

#142 valpro99

valpro99

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Full time UNIX Admin for Wall Street Firm and part time UH-60 Blackhawk pilot for New Jersey Army National Guard. Deployed to Iraq.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:56 AM

View PostJudecat, on 01 August 2011 - 05:00 PM, said:

Because I have problems with directions and spaces and orientation,  Devils Den is down? Behind that road at the bottom?  or is Devil's Den to the right?

Yes,  they have cut down all the non civil war period trees on the battlefield within the past 4 or 5 years.  They have also restored period fences and orchards.  And they got rid of that stupid haunted outhouse across plum rum from the Den when they took down the trees that were hiding it.

Current plan is that my friend and I are going up there again late September or October,  when the weather cools off.  It's been too darn hot for a couple of handicapped old ladies to be tromping around outdoors for the past few months.
I should of makred it but yes Devils Den is at the bottom right corner.

#143 Strider

Strider

Orb

• GS Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

Today I joined Ghoststudy Community so that I can add my two cents about the Triangular Field Video.

First, I have never had a paranormal experience but I am ready to embrace credible evidence.  This Gettysburg video looks like the real deal.

A few observations.   The group of 5 or 6 light flashes evident on some versions of the video look like fireflies.  During their peak period in July-August it is not uncommoon to see groups of fireflies synchronise their flashes.  Firefly flashes also tend to move as the insect itself is in motion.  The typical eastern species males rises from the grass and flash as they are rising.  However, my firefly explanation falls apart if this video was shot in November, even late October.  As a hobby I keep track of the early and late flashing dates fo fireflies in my part of Pennsylvania.  In 2011 the last handful of fireflies gave up around September 15th and these were just a few scattered insects versus the scores seen per acre in July.  In an exceptional year in Pennsylvania you may have a handful of fireflies still displaying during the first few days of October.  Even then they flash infrequently during a short time as dusk settles.  My point here is that if the Gettysburg video were shot October 10 or afterwards the flashes are more likely paranormal.  Does anyone have a precise date when the video was shot?

I must have studied the apparitions in this video dozens of times.  First, an elaborate hoax involving a five or more persons seems unlikely.  Imagine the logistics of getting people to hide in undergrowth in order to appear briefly before the camera before walking into the woods down a slope only to reappear on a path in a darkened woodland walking to the right.  Some of the actors in the hoax would have to double back to appear repeatedly.  At no time does anyone stumble or look back.  

I further dismiss the apparitions as a group of hikers.  A group of hikers would be noticed tramping through the open field before entering the woods.  It would be impossible for those hikers not to notice the family talking amongst themselves with a video camera.  Instead the apparitions pay no heed at all to those watching them - probably because they are not alive any more.

To my eyes the apparitions seem to appear at a particular point just to the right of the rock.  There is no hint that anyone is rising from cover before starting their walk.  Instead the apparitions just appear in full stride.  Also, at the very beginning of the video it appears to me that an appartion is moving rapidly to and fro just beyond the rock (almost pulsing or gyrating) just before the main event unfolds.  Once the apparitions appear it is almost as if a group of three figures appear in short order and then repeat.  These figure pass behind the rock and turn before leaving the scene throught the trees to the right.  I find it interesting that the figures seem to be projected against the foliage as opposed to being in the foliage.  Just before dusk there is remnant daylight in the open field but not within a woodland.  Anything within the trees would be in darkness and would be nearly impossible to see at all.  In the video the figures behind the trees are as brightly lit as those appearing at the flat rock.  

One advantage of the Parks Service restoring the original scenery is that the actions of the apparitions may make sense in context of the battle.  Confederate troops were being fired on by Union troops on the higher ground above the field.  Pinned down troops under sustained fire might reasonably return to the wooded area behind the field's lower stone wall in order to flank their enemy by using the woodland as cover.  We may be seeing played out again and again a small portion of the fight on July 2nd at the Triangular Field.

Edited by Strider, 21 February 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#144 valpro99

valpro99

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Full time UNIX Admin for Wall Street Firm and part time UH-60 Blackhawk pilot for New Jersey Army National Guard. Deployed to Iraq.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostStrider, on 21 February 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Today I joined Ghoststudy Community so that I can add my two cents about the Triangular Field Video.

First, I have never had a paranormal experience but I am ready to embrace credible evidence.  This Gettysburg video looks like the real deal.

A few observations.   The group of 5 or 6 light flashes evident on some versions of the video look like fireflies.  During their peak period in July-August it is not uncommoon to see groups of fireflies synchronise their flashes.  Firefly flashes also tend to move as the insect itself is in motion.  The typical eastern species males rises from the grass and flash as they are rising.  However, my firefly explanation falls apart if this video was shot in November, even late October.  As a hobby I keep track of the early and late flashing dates fo fireflies in my part of Pennsylvania.  In 2011 the last handful of fireflies gave up around September 15th and these were just a few scattered insects versus the scores seen per acre in July.  In an exceptional year in Pennsylvania you may have a handful of fireflies still displaying during the first few days of October.  Even then they flash infrequently during a short time as dusk settles.  My point here is that if the Gettysburg video were shot October 10 or afterwards the flashes are more likely paranormal.  Does anyone have a precise date when the video was shot?

I must have studied the apparitions in this video dozens of times.  First, an elaborate hoax involving a five or more persons seems unlikely.  Imagine the logistics of getting people to hide in undergrowth in order to appear briefly before the camera before walking into the woods down a slope only to reappear on a path in a darkened woodland walking to the right.  Some of the actors in the hoax would have to double back to appear repeatedly.  At no time does anyone stumble or look back.  

I further dismiss the apparitions as a group of hikers.  A group of hikers would be noticed tramping through the open field before entering the woods.  It would be impossible for those hikers not to notice the family talking amongst themselves with a video camera.  Instead the apparitions pay no heed at all to those watching them - probably because they are not alive any more.

To my eyes the apparitions seem to appear at a particular point just to the right of the rock.  There is no hint that anyone is rising from cover before starting their walk.  Instead the apparitions just appear in full stride.  Also, at the very beginning of the video it appears to me that an appartion is moving rapidly to and fro just beyond the rock (almost pulsing or gyrating) just before the main event unfolds.  Once the apparitions appear it is almost as if a group of three figures appear in short order and then repeat.  These figure pass behind the rock and turn before leaving the scene throught the trees to the right.  I find it interesting that the figures seem to be projected against the foliage as opposed to being in the foliage.  Just before dusk there is remnant daylight in the open field but not within a woodland.  Anything within the trees would be in darkness and would be nearly impossible to see at all.  In the video the figures behind the trees are as brightly lit as those appearing at the flat rock.  

One advantage of the Parks Service restoring the original scenery is that the actions of the apparitions may make sense in context of the battle.  Confederate troops were being fired on by Union troops on the higher ground above the field.  Pinned down troops under sustained fire might reasonably return to the wooded area behind the field's lower stone wall in order to flank their enemy by using the woodland as cover.  We may be seeing played out again and again a small portion of the fight on July 2nd at the Triangular Field.

The original video was shot in October.  I don't have an exact date but I think his wife mentions the month in an interview I read on line.

#145 kiminal

kiminal

EVP

• GS Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

I remember this video, and knowing very little American history, it does look to me like soldiers walking single file along a track.  This has always been one of my favourite videos and I still get shivers watching it.

CODE
Thank You Jeepers and Flubby