• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#41 Emorphina

Emorphina

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, history, world mythology, dancing like noones looking, cult movies, being a cheeky minx, hiking, surfing, kyacking, drawing and my watercolors( they can be seen on my myspace)billiards, darts, practicing and researching Pagan for over 15 years. being a fun mom, travelling, rockhounding, coffee houses, books books books..being spontaneous, comic books, graphic novels, Neil Gaiman, drum circles, concerts, amusement parks, chaos theory,horror movies, terry gilliam movies..... for the FULL unadultrated list.. look on http://www.myspace.com/emorphina

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

Uhm daemon.... not everybody reacts the same way.
I think that you assuming that its a hoax based on this is a tad silly. You have to come up with a LOT more than that to sway a lot of us that have valid points.IMHO

...He sounded like he was more amused over his wifes reactions, perhaps they were skeptics and didnt know what they were looking at? ever consider that?

The only biodiversity we're going to have left is Coke versus Pepsi.
Chuck Palahniuk

http://www.myspace.com/emorphina

#42 Daemon

Daemon

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, music, cars, astronomy, and well you if you're cute, heh heh.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(Sly-Spectre @ Sep 3 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EVP I'm having trouble clarifying your argument. Whether or not someone vouched, they do in fact have a video they can't explain? So why are you questioning someone vouching for the video?

And on the same token are you suggesting the video is dismissive because of the 3 points you mentioned? I kinda see what you are saying there but on the other side of the argument doesn't that completely shut the door on possible evidence submitted by amature photographers and videographers?

How many pictures were taken by an unknowing person that caught something strictly by accident? Wouldn't your argument shut the door on them because they are not paranormal investigators that didn't research the area?

Help me out here dude. I'm totally like  wallbash.gif right now...

Yep, by that logic many of the best ghost image captures would not even be considered.

This is a prime example:

Supposedly that's the wife's mother in the backseat...a few weeks after she died. She was never in this car as he bought it after she died. But by the logic presented..its not a reasonable ghost picture.

#43 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

Disembodied Voice

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Interested in the paranormal, and I am proud I just published my first book regarding my haunting.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(Emorphina @ Sep 3 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that you assuming that its a hoax based on this is a tad silly. You have to come up with a LOT more than that to sway a lot of us that have valid points.IMHO

...He sounded like he was more amused over his wifes reactions, perhaps they were skeptics and didnt know what they were looking at? ever consider that?

I saw this on TV I dont know how many times LOL. The hubby never said he was clairvoyant or a medium but he sees spirits alot. He and his wife go ghost hunting often. Granted they are not professionals, but I think the best pics are taken by mistake or by regular people. I remember they discussed motorcycles but there was no sound, so that blows that theory lol. The flashing pretty good size lights were unreal, and I hadnt seen that part of the video before. IMO they captured a residual haunting, and did a darn good job. Initially they were shocked at what they saw, but then went with the flow. I say, GOOD JOB!! banana.gif
YOU CANT SCARE ME, I HAVE KIDS

#44 Daemon

Daemon

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, music, cars, astronomy, and well you if you're cute, heh heh.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(Emorphina @ Sep 3 2009, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess its a good thing I'm not trying to sway anyone. They sound like bad actors. That says hoax to me. You don't believe that? Not a problem.

As for valid points...what were they exactly? Unless you were there, you can't really make a valid point. Why? Because its too easy to hoax this stuff.

The flashes? They look like lightning bugs that are being brought out more by the night vision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuPh_U6pi1E

That's what I see.

EDIT: Just to add to this. I am a believer in ghosts. I do not, however, drop my bowels over every picture, story, or even video. I assume up front it is faked. 15 years of investigations has taught me not to jump to the paranormal conclusion no matter how good it looks at first. Always, and I mean ALWAYS, try and find a natural cause. Whether that's hoaxers or a banging pipe or limb, always try to find that. Always look for that. Always expect that.

If you go around swearing that a hoax is a real thing, it makes you look exceptionally silly and a fraud. If you try to disprove everything you see, then you end up with only the best of the best of evidence. If it can't hold up, then its probably not real. That video is nice on the surface, but many things just seem "off" to me.

Edited by Daemon, 03 September 2009 - 09:05 PM.

#45 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,025 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

Just based on what I have seen and experienced personally, the video does seem (IMO) to probably be genuine
Posted Image

#46 Daemon

Daemon

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

OK.

First things first. I have repeatedly watched this video over and over. At least 40+ time back to back. I'm going to change my opinion on this. I think they did catch something. I'm still convinced the flashes are lightning bugs (Fireflies), but the "soldiers" do have some merit to them. The thing that really started making me look closer is the kid. He truly does sound perplexed and doesn't have that normal overacting that kids are famous for. Though I must question the decision of taking a child on a ghost hunt, but I digress. This needs to be looked at much more closely, though peppers ghost could still be in effect on this.

Just a FYI:

This video was shot by Delia and Tom Underwood.

Here is a short interview with Delia describing it.

GT: Delia, I’d like to thank you for taking time for this interview for GhostTheory.com. There has been a lot of talk and speculation of the your “Gettysburg ghost images” video.
Can you start by telling us the exact date (even time of day) this event happened?

DU: IT WAS IN THE EVENING OF OCTOBER 2001.

GT: In a paragraph or two, can you explain to us how the events transpired?

DU: MY HUSBAND AND I WOULD GO TO GETTYSBURG EVERY WEEKEND TO DO FILMING AND TAKING PICTURES IN HOPES OF GETTING SOMETHING ON FILM. WE JUST WENT ON THIS PARTICULAR DAY/EVENING AND WE SET UP THE VIDEIO CAMERA AFTER WE DECIDED WHERE. WE AIMED IT DOWN THE FIELD TOWARD THE FLAT ROCK, THEN WE JUST STARTED TO FILM IN HOPES OF GETTING SOMETHING.

GT: Who’s voices do we hear in the video, and did they all see the lights?
DU: YOU HEAR MY VOICE, MY HUSBAND TOM AND MY SON JUSTIN. WHAT LITES ARE YOU REFERING TOO?
IF YOU MEAN AT THE BEGINING, YOU COULD SEE THEM TO THE NAKED EYE AND ON THE VIDEO. THEY LOOK LIKE GUNFIRE IN RAPID FIRE. THEN I SAW THE FIGURES AND SHOWED MY HUSBAND.

GT: To your best recollection, what is the location where the lights were witnessed?
DU: THE LIGHTS WERE NEAR A BUSH ABOUT 15FT FROM THE FLAT ROCK.

GT: In your own words, can you describe for us the lights that you saw? Did it look like the lights just dissipated? did they have any shape or figure to them? any sounds?
DU: NO SOUNDS
THE LIGHTS OR FIGURES TO ME WERE OF SOILDERS MARCHING UP IN THE TREES, IT ONLY LASTED A FEW SECONDS AND THEN THEY DISAPEARED.

GT: Is there more footage that has not yet been released?
DU: NO THAT WAS ALL WE GOT

GT: What is your stance on the theories that this could be pockets of Methane gas being released? or that these are lights from nearby vehicles that reflect off the mist/fog?
DU: NOT FROM ANY GASES, THIS IS A BATTLEFIELD,
WE THOUGHT ABOUT THE LIGHTS FROM OTHER VEHICLES AND WE TESTED THAT THEORY AND IT DID NOT WORK.
THERE WAS NO FOG THAT NITE AND IT WAS CLEAR

GT: Have you gone back to the same place to try to capture more footage?
DU: NO CAUSE WE MOVED TO FLORIDA

GT: What are some of the incorrect facts that we read on the web about your footage that you’d like to address?
DU: THE FOOTAGE WAS TAKEN AT THE TRIANGLER FIELD IN GETTYSBURG BATTLEFIELD, GETTYSBURG, PA OCT 2001

#47 Emorphina

Emorphina

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, history, world mythology, dancing like noones looking, cult movies, being a cheeky minx, hiking, surfing, kyacking, drawing and my watercolors( they can be seen on my myspace)billiards, darts, practicing and researching Pagan for over 15 years. being a fun mom, travelling, rockhounding, coffee houses, books books books..being spontaneous, comic books, graphic novels, Neil Gaiman, drum circles, concerts, amusement parks, chaos theory,horror movies, terry gilliam movies..... for the FULL unadultrated list.. look on http://www.myspace.com/emorphina

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:46 PM

The first time my daughter saw a ghost she was more curious than flippy, as i stated before... not everyones initial knee jerk reactions are the same.

p.s. she was about 13ish.

Chuck Palahniuk

#48 Judecat

Judecat

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE(Daemon @ Sep 4 2009, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DU: THE FOOTAGE WAS TAKEN AT THE TRIANGLER FIELD IN GETTYSBURG BATTLEFIELD, GETTYSBURG, PA OCT 2001

Just for comparison,  here's a bunch of photo's taken at the triangular field since they have cut down many of the  the excess trees.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/triangu...00_2333.jpg?o=4
On shot number 4 you can clearly see the Emmittsburg Pike, Route 15 in the mid ground.

If you are not offended or upset by seeing old pictures of dead people,  there's a shot of the field immediately after the battle.  http://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/upload/.../10/7/29117.jpg

Notice that there are no white or extremely light colored uniforms

Also,  historically, the confederates didn't just march up to that rock and camp or anything -- by the time they got there the battle was already in progress.  It it were a residual haunting then it would not be single file images climbing on and around a rock,  it would be army's in battle.

#49 Judecat

Judecat

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:03 AM

I think what evp was refering to about vouching for someone,  at least the way I took it and was agreeing with,  is that when the video was first posted here years ago,  and even the second time around,  when I asked questions to try to prove or disprove,  or whenever someone doubted that the video was really paranormal,  then the ex  popped in stating for the fact that those people where very good friends of theirs,  and had sent them the video personally (and exclusively),  and that she would vouch for their honesty and integrety.  All that means to me is that she had never known them to lie,  and that she trusted them.  So the video must be real because these where her friends.

#50 clinsey

clinsey

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hi Judecat,

While looking thru your pictures from Triangular Field, I saw light colored uniforms on the re-enactors that reminded me of what I saw in the Ghettysburg Video.  I guess it would depend on whether we're seeing Confederate or Union "apparitions" in the video to determine if the clothing is the right color or not.

I'd like to visit Ghettysburg someday.  It was great to see your pictures, even the 2nd one even though it's gruesome.  Thanks for posting them.

#51 Judecat

Judecat

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE(clinsey @ Sep 4 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Judecat,

While looking thru your pictures from Triangular Field, I saw light colored uniforms on the re-enactors that reminded me of what I saw in the Ghettysburg Video.  I guess it would depend on whether we're seeing Confederate or Union "apparitions" in the video to determine if the clothing is the right color or not.

I'd like to visit Ghettysburg someday.  It was great to see your pictures, even the 2nd one even though it's gruesome.  Thanks for posting them.

Please link me to the picture where you see re-enactors in confederate uniforms -- because sky soldier doesn't have any pictures of confederate re-enactors in uniform posted.  

As far as the color of the uniforms -- yes the union wore dark blue,  and the rebels supposedly wore grey,  but grey can be a lot of shades,  and a lot of colors.  Butternut color,  which I consider to be a brown shade,  was also considered confederate grey.
And you have to remember that even if the uniforms started out a lighter shade of grey,  there was no dry cleaning service,  and most of those guys were only issued one uniform -- if they were issued one at all.
This is a picture of a Confederate grey uniform worn by an officer in a Texas unit.
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2441820130042533813mpiDlB

Here are some enlisted men's uniforms from Texas conferate units
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2595301640042533813diqhfM

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2135657830042533813rnPaVB

This one is from a virginia unit -- and it would not have been worn at gettysburg -- not in July.  But it does show how dark some of those grey uniforms were.

And this is just to show that shows 26 of the different confederate uniforms.  
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation...te_Uniforms.htm

For an idea of what the confederate troops looked like in action,  I'd suggest watching the movie Gettysburg,  especally "Picket's charge".  And see if you can spot the 5ft 2inch female "soldier" marching by ; )

#52 Judecat

Judecat

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:54 AM

QUOTE(clinsey @ Sep 4 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Judecat,

Please link me to the picture where you see re-enactors in confederate uniforms -- because sky soldier doesn't have any pictures of confederate re-enactors in uniform posted.  

As far as the color of the uniforms -- yes the union wore dark blue,  and the rebels supposedly wore grey,  but grey can be a lot of shades,  and a lot of colors.  Butternut color,  which I consider to be a brown shade,  was also considered confederate grey.
And you have to remember that even if the uniforms started out a lighter shade of grey,  there was no dry cleaning service,  and most of those guys were only issued one uniform -- if they were issued one at all.
This is a picture of a Confederate grey uniform worn by an officer in a Texas unit.
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2441820130042533813mpiDlB

Here are some enlisted men's uniforms from Texas conferate units
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2595301640042533813diqhfM

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2135657830042533813rnPaVB

This one is from a virginia unit -- and it would not have been worn at gettysburg -- not in July.  But it does show how dark some of those grey uniforms were.

And this is just to show that shows 26 of the different confederate uniforms.  
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation...te_Uniforms.htm

For an idea of what the confederate troops looked like in action,  I'd suggest watching the movie Gettysburg,  especally "Picket's charge".  And see if you can spot the 5ft 2inch female "soldier" marching by ; )

PS If you ever get to go to Gettysburg,  stop by Baltimore and pick me up,  I'll give you a guided history,  and ghost tour.

Edited by Judecat, 05 September 2009 - 04:55 AM.

#53 clinsey

clinsey

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(Judecat @ Sep 5 2009, 05:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is where I viewed the pictures of the light colored uniforms (confederate).  I hovered my mouse just under "View more pictures of Triangular Field" over the large picture on the right side of the screen, which opened a task bar.  I then chose "view album".  The uniforms are on the 1st 3 of 7 pages in the album by 48th_Alabama:

(Quote from Judecat):
"Just for comparison, here's a bunch of photo's taken at the triangular field since they have cut down many of the the excess trees."
http://media.photobucket.com/image/triangu...00_2333.jpg?o=4

(Quote from Judecat):

"For an idea of what the confederate troops looked like in action, I'd suggest watching the movie Gettysburg, especally "Picket's charge". And see if you can spot the 5ft 2inch female "soldier" marching by ; )"

Cool, would that be you in the movie!!??  I'll have to check that out sometime.

(Quote from Judecat):
"PS If you ever get to go to Gettysburg, stop by Baltimore and pick me up, I'll give you a guided history, and ghost tour"

Sounds like fun!  I had 3 great-great-great uncles that fought in the civil war for pretty much the entire war.  They were at Ghettysburg, among other battles.  They were Pennsylvania Bucktail's.  Though I have a connection and find history in general interesting, it sounds like you've really gotten into Civil War research and would make a really good guide.  Not to mention the whole haunted side, also!

EDIT:  Sorry, the link I copied doesn't work here but it's the 1st link in Judecat's post #48 above so you can view it there.

Edited by clinsey, 05 September 2009 - 11:51 AM.

#54 Judecat

Judecat

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for that link.  I don't think I've ever run into those guys before,  or at least I've never seen them in new clean uniforms.  I've never actually seen uniforms that light,  not even on the Alabama units.  Usually reenactors "age" their uniform a bit,  and wear them for years and don't have them cleaned every time we use them,  for a more authentic look.  We've been known to roll around in the dirt before a battle.

One point your pictures show,  is that they didn't have uniforms as we know them.  Buy the time of the Gettysburg battle the guys were wearing whatever uniforms they could scrounge up,  even uniforms taken from dead union soldiers.

The union army did do a little better at having actual uniforms,  because they were usually able to get one when theirs wore out,  but no so the Confederate army -- at first because there was no actual confederate army at the start of the war,  and because of lack of manufacturing plants in the south during the war.  A lot of the boys were wearing homespun made by their momma.   And they didn't get shoes -- that's why part of the confederate army was actually heading to Harrisonburg -- to raid the shoe factory. The battle at  Gettysburg may have actually started over shoes -- at least it was reported that one squad was looking for shoes  --when they ran into what they thought was a squad of union troops.  Of course there were no shoes in Gettysburg,  but the confederates didn't know that.   And rather than being a squad,  that was scouts for the main body of Union troops.

My ex husband studied the battle as part of his ROTC in college -- he went to Mt Saint Mary's in Emmittsburg, Md,  just down the road from Gettysburg.   And was a confederate reenactor since I was in the real US army in the 70's,  and stationed in Alabama,  and then Texas.  Never officially quit,  just haven't been in a while.  Sold my gear to pay for my divorce.

#55 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

Just a little clarification with my statements. I don't want anyone to think I was implying this was a hoax. I'm not at all and I admitted that it was unexplained. I just would have liked to have seen or heard of someone exploring the area where the "explained events" happened at the time of the video capture. IR does exhibit strange behavior at times and I almost need a spectre to sit in my lap for me to take notice and no I'm not close minded. I'm just very careful about making statements in this field that is either black or white.

Some might say well you're non committal. I just tend to stop thinking when I make a solid opinion. I know in my field of audio, I for the longest time questioned whether my captures were merely interruptions in radio frequencies or a matter or poor sound samplings, compression or the inherent auto gain control until I heard something real time on a personal level..

So for those who might believe I meant to be insulting that wasn't my intention. I just need something more compelling that's all and I didn't for a minute doubt the integrity of what others might have believed they saw.

#56 Emorphina

Emorphina

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:01 AM

What if it wasnt a Uniform, but just a white shirt?, Like they werent in uniform ?

Chuck Palahniuk

#57 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,025 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:34 AM

Considering they appeared all white anyway, I doubt anyone could tell the color of uniforms
Posted Image

#58 Judecat

Judecat

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:08 AM

A) If those are plane white shirts,  then they are not soldiers.
  There are several reasons I say this.
1) Unless a man was working on his own land or in his own home,  he did not go out in shirt sleeves.  It was not proper.   Up north if one worked in a factory or other manual labor, then it was allowed to work in shirt sleeves,  but only within the work area.

2) Back then,  unlike the modern army,  there was no oportunity to wear civilian cloths.  Even on leave if you went in public you would be in uniform (except maybe in your own home).  

3) Going out in public whithout your uniform was a good way to get shot as a deserter,  because there was no good reason not to be uniform.

4) those guys had just marched hundreds of miles carrying everything they owned in a bedroll or back pack,  in the hot July sun,  through one of the most humid areas of the east coast.  And they were not coming from a nice comfortable barracks,  most of them had been in the field for years buy this point.  In May of '63 they had been fighting at Chanslorsville,  then they marched to the Shenedoah Valley, on June 9th they fought the battle of Brandy Station,  on June 15 they fought a Winchester Va,  on June 23 they crossed the Shenendoah into Md,  on June 30 Jubal Early seized York Pa.  Also on that day " Army of Northern Virginia Major General Henry Heth orders a brigade under James J. Pettigrew to march to Gettysburg to investigate reports of a large quantity of footwear in the city."  Given that there was no opportunity to wear civilian clothing,  there would be no reason to carry it around -- there are reports of hundreds of soldiers deciding that it was too much trouble to carry anything,   and miles of road was lined with abandoned bedroles and knapsacks.

5) Given the lack of manufactured goods in most homes,  clothing was usually hand made.  Bleaching materials was a factory process.  Home made clothing was usally off white,  or it was dyed,  as dyeing was easier and cheaper than bleaching.

cool.gif If they were not soldiers,  then there is no reason to believe they are ghosts
    1) the only civilian to die in the Battle of Gettysburg was a woman who was in a house in town baking bread.
    2)  That area has been a historic landmark since the 1870's,  and there would be reports of people dieing in the field.
    3) If they are civilian ,  why are they walking single file like a goup of boy scouts on a hike,  or ghost hunters on tour following the guide.  

I know the Triangular field is haunted,  I sort of know, but can't prove why one of the entities is there. (Seems that Mathew Brody dragged one poor body around the area,  and photographed him in several places where he thought it would make a better photograph.  One extant picture is the same dead body from the photo I linked, set up and posed in a union sniper pit, in a different jacket as if he had died there. Seems like sensational news reporting is not new)

, I know there is a history of weird stuff going on in that field,  video and audio equipment which doesn't work in that field which is fine 5 minutes later.  I know of all kinds of weird stuff happens in that field,  from voices,  smells, sounds of battle, up to and including time slips.  I know the entire battlefield is haunted,  but Devils Den and the Triangular field, and Plum Run are among the worse.   I know the Devils Den has been known as such since long before the civil war,  back to pre colonial times.

But I also know that the gound dips back of those tress,  and if I'm sitting on that rock there are areas where my 6ft 2 inch husband is not visible back in those trees.

I know Devils Den has been paranormally active back since the Native americans lived there

But I don't believe this video proves any of it.  Back in the beginning I really wanted to believe it --my initial questing of where it was was prompted by "oh wow, that's great, I wanna go there and check it out"  and hoping to discover that it wasn't that rock in that field.  It's like that place is so famous for being haunted, that anything mysterious is going to be taken as paranormal.   As an example from a different part of the battlefield -- there is a well documented haunting from years before the civil war,  or a woman in white at the area of Spangler Spring.  So any sitings of a figure with long hair and long flowing garments "floating around the spring" is going to be taken as a sighting -- even if it's just a hippy in a white "Jesus robe" wandering around stoned.(don't know what to call the outfit, but I think you get the idea). (years before I met him,  my ex husband was mistaken for the white lady of Spangler Spring.)

#59 Daemon

Daemon

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE(Judecat @ Sep 7 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A) If those are plane white shirts,  then they are not soldiers.
  There are several reasons I say this.
1) Unless a man was working on his own land or in his own home,  he did not go out in shirt sleeves.  It was not proper.   Up north if one worked in a factory or other manual labor, then it was allowed to work in shirt sleeves,  but only within the work area.

2) Back then,  unlike the modern army,  there was no oportunity to wear civilian cloths.  Even on leave if you went in public you would be in uniform (except maybe in your own home).  

3) Going out in public whithout your uniform was a good way to get shot as a deserter,  because there was no good reason not to be uniform.

4) those guys had just marched hundreds of miles carrying everything they owned in a bedroll or back pack,  in the hot July sun,  through one of the most humid areas of the east coast.  And they were not coming from a nice comfortable barracks,  most of them had been in the field for years buy this point.  In May of '63 they had been fighting at Chanslorsville,  then they marched to the Shenedoah Valley, on June 9th they fought the battle of Brandy Station,  on June 15 they fought a Winchester Va,  on June 23 they crossed the Shenendoah into Md,  on June 30 Jubal Early seized York Pa.  Also on that day " Army of Northern Virginia Major General Henry Heth orders a brigade under James J. Pettigrew to march to Gettysburg to investigate reports of a large quantity of footwear in the city."  Given that there was no opportunity to wear civilian clothing,  there would be no reason to carry it around -- there are reports of hundreds of soldiers deciding that it was too much trouble to carry anything,   and miles of road was lined with abandoned bedroles and knapsacks.

5) Given the lack of manufactured goods in most homes,  clothing was usually hand made.  Bleaching materials was a factory process.  Home made clothing was usally off white,  or it was dyed,  as dyeing was easier and cheaper than bleaching.

cool.gif If they were not soldiers,  then there is no reason to believe they are ghosts
    1) the only civilian to die in the Battle of Gettysburg was a woman who was in a house in town baking bread.
    2)  That area has been a historic landmark since the 1870's,  and there would be reports of people dieing in the field.
    3) If they are civilian ,  why are they walking single file like a goup of boy scouts on a hike,  or ghost hunters on tour following the guide.  

I know the Triangular field is haunted,  I sort of know, but can't prove why one of the entities is there. (Seems that Mathew Brody dragged one poor body around the area,  and photographed him in several places where he thought it would make a better photograph.  One extant picture is the same dead body from the photo I linked, set up and posed in a union sniper pit, in a different jacket as if he had died there. Seems like sensational news reporting is not new)

, I know there is a history of weird stuff going on in that field,  video and audio equipment which doesn't work in that field which is fine 5 minutes later.  I know of all kinds of weird stuff happens in that field,  from voices,  smells, sounds of battle, up to and including time slips.  I know the entire battlefield is haunted,  but Devils Den and the Triangular field, and Plum Run are among the worse.   I know the Devils Den has been known as such since long before the civil war,  back to pre colonial times.

But I also know that the gound dips back of those tress,  and if I'm sitting on that rock there are areas where my 6ft 2 inch husband is not visible back in those trees.

I know Devils Den has been paranormally active back since the Native americans lived there

But I don't believe this video proves any of it.  Back in the beginning I really wanted to believe it --my initial questing of where it was was prompted by "oh wow, that's great, I wanna go there and check it out"  and hoping to discover that it wasn't that rock in that field.  It's like that place is so famous for being haunted, that anything mysterious is going to be taken as paranormal.   As an example from a different part of the battlefield -- there is a well documented haunting from years before the civil war,  or a woman in white at the area of Spangler Spring.  So any sitings of a figure with long hair and long flowing garments "floating around the spring" is going to be taken as a sighting -- even if it's just a hippy in a white "Jesus robe" wandering around stoned.(don't know what to call the outfit, but I think you get the idea). (years before I met him,  my ex husband was mistaken for the white lady of Spangler Spring.)

That is 100% assuming it was northern armies you are speaking about. Most southerners were not in a "uniform," only the officers had official uniforms.

As you can see, they are just in regular civilian clothing.

The color of the images presented can't be taken as hard fact. That would be ecto materializing. This would cause it to be white. Color is often off where ghosts are concerned.

#60 clinsey

clinsey

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

I feel the video is authentic as far as capturing a residual haunting.  Whether the individual(s) are soldiers, Confederate or otherwise, I guess is secondary to whether it is footage of something residual.  It's possible it's just a farmer or someone from before or after the Civil War.  The figures don't appear to be under fire based on how they act.  I'm not sure if the flashes are "ghost lights" or lightning bugs but they do seem connected to the activity at times.  I don't feel it's gunfire, even if we are seeing Civil War soldiers.

Here are a couple of other photos of Triangular Field that I found showing the rock.  They are from a different angle than the video, but it does appear to be the same place.  They are both taken from the gate, looking into the field.  Just for reference if anybody wants to find the spot:

Also, I've heard that residual hauntings are more prevelant in areas with certain minerals present....granite being one of them.  There is a lot of granite in the area, tons of boulders, etc.  Could make the area a hotspot for residual hauntings.