#21 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostNightWalker_07, on 15 June 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

My hard drive spins like crazy sometimes, but as I said, its 5 years old.  Its probably just wear and tear.  I'm starting to wonder though...  I had an antivirus a couple years ago called AVAST and I deleted it.  The only problem is the icon is still in my menu bar with a big red X over it.  I have scanned my laptop many times to see if anything can be found relating to tthat program and it has yet to find anything.  I even did a search and nothing came up.  I'm not sure how that icon is able to stay on the system.
Did you uninstall it or delete it? As well, you should consider getting a new hard drive. If it's spinning that much, it means its probably going to burn out soon. They have a limited life span, even the really good ones. And five years is a long time. They are very cheap nowadays.

Edited by moiraesfate, 15 June 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#22 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

I agree.  It runs hotter now than it ever did, but I think that's because I never had it elevated.  I would always use it on my bed, and would never put anything under it for it to breathe.  Now I have something under it at all times so it gets more air and it doesn't run as hot.  The hard drive only spins excessively when I'm on YouTube.  And I deleted that program entirely.  It does not show up anywhere but my menu bar.

Edited by NightWalker_07, 15 June 2013 - 11:20 AM.

Posted Image

"Life doesn't get easier...

You just get stronger."

#23 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

If the driver still exists, then the computer may think its still intact. Did you check Device Manager?

#24 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

I checked the Control Panel where all the programs are and it isn't there.  Not sure about the device manager.  My cousin, the self proclaimed computer expert, looked at it to see why the program was still there and he couldn't figure it out either.

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#25 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Tried that a long time ago.  AVAST doesn't show up, even though it is in the menu bar at start-up.

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#26 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

I'll try that next time I'm on my laptop.  Thanks for the info :)

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#27 Sinohmi

Sinohmi

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Backup your registry

#28 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

Everything on my laptop is backed up.  Don't worry.

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#29 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

What happens when you right click on the icon?

#30 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

View Postmoiraesfate, on 17 June 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

What happens when you right click on the icon?

It brings up a bunch of options like it is still in the system, like "open AVAST", "AVAST shields control", and "silent gaming mode".  I did a full system search once again, and it never showed up on it.

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#31 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

It doesn't sound like you deleted the program. It sounds like you clicked on the file folder, and hit the delete button. That gets rid of the folder but it doesn't uninstall the program. Go to control panel and programs, then uninstall programs. It is probably still in the list. If you click it and click uninstall, it should come up with "unable to find program" or something around those lines. It may ask if you want to delete the rest, but more likely it will do it automatically and it will be fully erased from your computer.

If that fails, install cc cleaner and run it. It should also get rid of the remnants.

#32 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

I guess I will have to get that cc cleaner, because I went into the Control Panel and AVAST wasn't in there.  Thanks for the advice :)

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#33 dtommy79

dtommy79

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

I agree it sounds like a virus. Similar thing happened to me when we still had MSN, but after come cleaning everything worked fine. Or we are all wrong and Steve Jobs is haunting us :)

#34 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Just a suggestion but maybe it is a hidden file. I had a problem  where my computer screen would turn blue AKA the blue screen of death after trying a lot of things and software from the net.  I did an online scan but couldn't find the file it indicated. I then googled how to find hidden files. There are many websites that deal with this problem of finding hidden files;After making the files visible I  found the file the scan indicated and deleted it.If you use these search words you will find the online scanner   "Online Scanner finds and removes harmful items from your PC. Online Scanner helps to get rid of viruses and spyware that may cause problems ".

Edited by klainey, 03 July 2013 - 09:23 PM.

Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#35 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

View Postdtommy79, on 03 July 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

I agree it sounds like a virus. Similar thing happened to me when we still had MSN, but after come cleaning everything worked fine. Or we are all wrong and Steve Jobs is haunting us :)

Haha well I do have Windows, so maybe I'm on his bad side for that

View Postklainey, on 03 July 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

Just a suggestion but maybe it is a hidden file. I had a problem  where my computer screen would turn blue AKA the blue screen of death after trying a lot of things and software from the net.  I did an online scan but couldn't find the file it indicated. I then googled how to find hidden files. There are many websites that deal with this problem of finding hidden files;After making the files visible I  found the file the scan indicated and deleted it.If you use these search words you will find the online scanner   "Online Scanner finds and removes harmful items from your PC. Online Scanner helps to get rid of viruses and spyware that may cause problems ".

I ran my hard drive defrag and did the full scan and nothing came up, once again.  I had a Geek Squad guy take a look at it and he didn't know what to do either.  And that blue screen thing barely ever happens.  I'm going to try that online scanner and see what it does.  Thanks :)

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#36 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,542 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hidden file, or still in your registry. My virus program deletes unused registry entries
Posted Image

#37 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

A couple of threats did come up after I scanned my laptop with AVG.  I deleted them, but the avast icon is still there in the menu bar.

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#38 Sinohmi

Sinohmi

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Scan the boot sectors. Some antivirus will not. Check if your antivirus has a rootkit detector.

#39 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

Doesn't look like it has a rootkit detector.  It's funny, because the icon doesn't even show up in the list of programs that start up when I log on :Picture 562:

Edited by NightWalker_07, 05 July 2013 - 08:42 PM.

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#40 Sinohmi

Sinohmi

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

See if anything thats described here seems familiar to you. Its a pretty good description.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

Edited by Sinohmi, 05 July 2013 - 09:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users