13 replies to this topic

#1 Woodsmann

Woodsmann

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:49 AM

I've already posted this question in the The Ghostly Gathering Place, but it appears this is the proper place to ask a question.

What would be good terms to use in the search function here to look for other postings regarding bar or cigar shaped semi transparent objects about 8" thick, 3 - 4 feet long that fly at about a 7 degree list, change their thickness and intensity, then change into a string of lights, then change into what appears to be symbols?  Even if this is a camera flash generated anomaly, others are bound to have posted stuff like this before and you guys must have a name for it.

All I am asking for is what they are called in order to look up others remarks.

Examples below are of the thick form, thin form and symbols form all from the same video.  Better and more photos will be posted in a separate forum later for members to comment on, the ones below will  be deleted after the question is answered to restore the 500k limit.Attached File  2014 05 18 0137 21.23 C3.FS2 F54-08 - U-A.jpg   85.91K   9 downloadsAttached File  2014 05 18 0137 14.53 C3.FS2 F47-17 - U-A.jpg   86.28K   8 downloadsAttached File  2014 05 18 0137 20.53 C3.FS2 F53-17 - U-A.jpg   85.85K   8 downloads

#2 saralove_32

saralove_32

Orb

• GS Member
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Music, Animals, Video games, Movies, Sleep(lol yes I said it), and of course anything paranormal

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

I really can't say i've ever heard of what those are called, or seen anything like that. I do know that in some pics and videos, before they were debunked as being bugs, they used to call anomolies like that "rods".  For the record, I am most definately not saying that is a bug in your pic. Also thanks for sharing! That is quite interesting.

Edited by saralove_32, 24 September 2014 - 06:03 AM.

"The eyes are not the windows of the soul, they are the doors. Beware what may enter them." ~Doctor Who

#3 Woodsmann

Woodsmann

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:19 AM

View Postsaralove_32, on 24 September 2014 - 05:58 AM, said:

I really can't say i've ever heard of what those are called, or seen anything like that. I do know that in some pics and videos, before they were debunked as being bugs, they used to call anomolies like that "rods".  For the record, I am most definately not saying that is a bug in your pic. Also thanks for sharing! That is quite interesting.

Sara, thanks for the term "rods".

I must clarify that the three pics posted are single frames from a seven segment movie (video).  What is shown in the pics is not the blurred motion of a bug flying while the shutter stays open in a still photo, rather it is the true shape of the object as it flys around in the video.  This thing flies slow enough so there is no blur.  Later on in a separate forum I will make the effort to post about 40 separate frames of higher quality of this thing at so people can get some idea of what it looks like in motion.  I'm guessing others do what I do, which is to load 40 or so jpegs into windows explorer as the photo viewer, then quickly go through them, this creates the effect of watching the movie in slow motion.  There is also software out there that strings jpegs together to make a video.

Edited by Woodsmann, 24 September 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#4 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

Yes maybe you might have to wait to see if some of the other members remember seeing similar posts.  The only other thing is to put those term into the search to see what it finds

Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#5 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,451 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

Here ya go: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Rod_(optics)
Posted Image

#6 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostWoodsmann, on 24 September 2014 - 06:19 AM, said:

Sara, thanks for the term "rods".

I must clarify that the three pics posted are single frames from a seven segment movie (video).  What is shown in the pics is not the blurred motion of a bug flying while the shutter stays open in a still photo, rather it is the true shape of the object as it flys around in the video.  This thing flies slow enough so there is no blur.  Later on in a separate forum I will make the effort to post about 40 separate frames of higher quality of this thing at so people can get some idea of what it looks like in motion.  I'm guessing others do what I do, which is to load 40 or so jpegs into windows explorer as the photo viewer, then quickly go through them, this creates the effect of watching the movie in slow motion.  There is also software out there that strings jpegs together to make a video.

Very similar to rods is skyfish... You might also try "light anomalies"

#7 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,059 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

Try this one for images

Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#8 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

View PostVlawde, on 24 September 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

Vlawde I check out your link but it didn't work for me.
Posted Image

#9 Woodsmann

Woodsmann

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:12 AM

View Postklainey, on 24 September 2014 - 09:22 PM, said:

Vlawde I check out your link but it didn't work for me.

Try:
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Rod_(optics)

This wiki page essentially says:  "- - -  experiments showed that these rods appear in film because of an optical illusion/collusion, and are typically traces of a flying insect's wingbeats."

We have pictures, especially of moths or butterflys, where they are flying quite fast from left to right (or visa versa) and appear to be elongnated creatures with two or three sets of wings.  Fact is, the little critters are flying fast enough and the shutter is staying open long enough to capture more than one flaps of their wings thereby giving them the distorted elongnated shape with multiple wings.

If the example I just gave is what "rods" are, then we have  numerous examples.

The pictures I posted are not fast flying objects moving across the screen from left to right or right to left.  The three pictures I posted are of the same entity.  It is not moving from left to right rapidly while the shutter is open to create a blurred elongated object.

Rather the three pictures posted are three frames of the same object slowly moving up and down and changing it's shape as it slowly moves.

Please look at the information bar in the upper left corner of each picture.  The "F47-17" means this is frame 17 of the 47th second of the video.  The "F54-08" means this is the 8th frame of the 54th second of the video.  This means that particular single object stayed in the lower right corner of the video for at least 7 seconds.  That is very slow moving.  It entered the viewing area of the camera from the right, moved down towards the camera illumination, then exited the cameras viewing area off to the right where it came from.  During this 7 seconds the object changed its shape and size about 3 times.

Our captures of insects being distorted by the shutter being open too long typically are in the video for less than a second, sometimes just a single frame.

I do not know what this thing is, but assuming the possibility of it being a paranormal creature, then one could assume it was curious about the light source.  Again, I am not going to make any claim as to what this thing is, but if rods are as I described above, then it is not a rod.

Should there be a natural explanation for this, I am guessing if would be associated with the flash.

We have more than one video for this sort of phenomenon taken by different cameras on different days.  In one video the object appears to be close to a tree, not overlapping it.  While it is close to the tree a small part of the tree next to it is illuminated as though this thing was emitting it's own light and thereby illuminating the tree.  If my memory is correct, one video has this phenomenon captured for about 27 seconds and there is the appearance that a deer noticed it.

Edited by Woodsmann, 25 September 2014 - 02:20 AM.

#10 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:23 AM

View PostWoodsmann, on 25 September 2014 - 02:12 AM, said:

Please look at the information bar in the upper left corner of each picture.  The "F47-17" means this is frame 17 of the 47th second of the video.  The "F54-08" means this is the 8th frame of the 54th second of the video.  This means that particular single object stayed in the lower right corner of the video for at least 7 seconds.  That is very slow moving.  It entered the viewing area of the camera from the right, moved down towards the camera illumination, then exited the cameras viewing area off to the right where it came from.  During this 7 seconds the object changed its shape and size about 3 times.

Our captures of insects being distorted by the shutter being open too long typically are in the video for less than a second, sometimes just a single frame.

Actually that would be "the object stayed for 7 frames, not seconds. Which is moving quite fast. Considering it's probably 24 frames per second.

#11 Woodsmann

Woodsmann

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:47 AM

View PostCDS, on 25 September 2014 - 02:23 AM, said:

Actually that would be "the object stayed for 7 frames, not seconds. Which is moving quite fast. Considering it's probably 24 frames per second.

No, that is not correct.  Please read what I said.  The one picture is frame 17 of the 47th second.  This camera (2014 Covert Black 60) is doing 30 frames per second.  The last picture is frame 8 of the 54th second.

So the time span or duration between the first and last pictures given could be calculated as:
Second # 47 from frame 17 to 30 = 14 frames
Second # 48 = 30 frames
Second # 49 = 30 frames
Second # 50 = 30 frames
Second # 51 = 30 frames
Second # 52 = 30 frames
Second # 53 = 30 frames
The last second, #54, 8 frames

Total frames capturing the single entity: 202 frames

But the time duration expressed above is only for the frame pictures I posted.

In this 60 second video, the object entered the picture at F47-02 and exited at F55-08, or it was captured moving around in the lower right corner of the video for slightly longer than 8 seconds.  That is moving very very slow.

#12 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:54 AM

Ok, my misunderstanding. TBH it looks like a moth (or other slow flyer) to me.

#13 Woodsmann

Woodsmann

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:44 AM

View PostCDS, on 25 September 2014 - 02:54 AM, said:

Ok, my misunderstanding. TBH it looks like a moth (or other slow flyer) to me.

No problem, the problem is actually mine.  Meaning that if I posted the actual video no one would have to guess as to what is in a still picture.  I have been dissecting videos for several months now, doing the frame x frame thing.  So much can be learned by doing this such as determining an objects location, calculating speed, getting a better fix on what the object looks like.

We have viewed literally thousands of videos from this location.  The various anomalies, such as insect orbs, reflections off of animal eyes, minute spider web like things hanging in front of the lens being illumined by the flash.  And countless "rods", or blurred elongated insects.  And of course rain drops.  During the course of watching hours of this stuff, we get to know the cameras quite well.  Only certain cameras do eye reflections.  Regarding orbs, the camera that captures the most orbs is the Stealth brand.  By orbs I mean when the flash illuminates an out of focus insect or vegetable particulate. The camera brand that captures the least orbs is the Covert brand, which makes it the most reliable since I do not want the videos cluttered with orb anomalies.  In other words, I think we have a good idea what is a natural object (such as a tree, raccoon or insect) what is an camera generated anomaly (orb, eye reflection, etc) and what in our experience is not explainable.

Being outdoors people living in the middle of nowhere, we are quite familiar with what animals and insects we have here as well as their behavior and what they look like when captured in a video.  It's a totally different culture; we are just as familiar with our surroundings as a city person would be with theirs.

The point I'm leading up to, is the object videoed and shown in the pictures posted above is not a moth.  We have countless pictures of moths, for example I would post one, but the 500k limit will not allow it and let me keep the three other pictures at the same time.

All I wanted to do here is see what others called these things and mistakenly opened a can of worms in the help wanted section.  I apologize for this.

Later on, we will post several dozen frames of this video at 300 pixels per inch and a file size over 2 MB for folks to look at in a different forum here.  These frames were made back in May so are ready to post.  We are new to video editing and posting, once we learn this we might get a YouTube account and clip out the object portion of the video and post it.  This will be when the snow flies and we have more indoor time.  Right now daylight is approaching and we must get to work.

I must say thanks to all that have posted, we have learned so much already and everyone’s input and opinions are appreciated.

#14 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:03 AM

Woodsmann open an online picture and video hosting  site like "Photobucket"  then you can share and store your pictures there and it doesn't go to or effect GS 500k limit.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users