Gnomes,gremlins And Little Men

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 blazegardner

EVP

• GS Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

Forgive me for posting yet another Dark5 YouTube video but they're just so good.
In this video Gnomes and Gremlin sighting's are discussed.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=vi9A4Uh8atg

#2 TechSavvy

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Family, technical mysteries, automobiles, radio electronics

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

In a former life I was an avionics tech (1970-1984) in general aviation. I was 17 when I started and I assumed gremlins were just a folk tale, like fairies. (I hope I don't get chastised for the fairies!) Yet, on average once a year I would run across technical phenomena that didn't behave right: instead of changing based on what I did, it changed behavior based on what I knew about it. I soon learned that the other techs mostly accepted that there were gremlins: malfunctions that could not be hunted down the usual way but by proving they couldn't exist... then they would disappear. A classic example was a tube-type radio that belonged to our secretary. The squelch didn't work, and for a common reason. It was a noise operated squelch and the receiver didn't have enough gain to make it work. Al worked on it for a day with no success; Zeke put in his 8 hours. By this time I had established myself as the Boy Wonder, so I sat confidently down, expecting to find something obscure like an open screen or cathode bypass capacitor. No such luck. After 24 hours of flogging it I knew all the stages had decent gain but together they came up short. 40 hours and nothing. Roger, the owner, found an identical radio that worked and set it up alongside the first on the bench. He transfused signal to the bad radio, stage by stage. Good... good...good...good. He removed the jumpers and the radio worked normally, and did as long as I was there.

Gremlins of that sort could be flamboyant, too. Zeke called us out to look at a Widgeon (seaplane) with a strange symptom. Both the VOR navigation systems worked fine on channels with signals, and one behaved normally - center needle, "off" flag - on a vacant channel. The other displayed a good VOR indication - full flag to or from with proper crossover, proper 10 degree course width and no reciprocal error (center needle "to" was 180 degrees "from"). The normal set had plain noise on blank channels; the weird one had the normal VOR warbling whistle but no Morse code identifier. Some technical background... VOR signals are complex and fragile: they are a radio carrier 30% modulated with a reference signal of 9960 Hz frequency modulated 5% with a 30 Hz sine wave, and the carrier is also 30% modulated with a variable 30 Hz sine wave. The phase relationship between the reference and the variable 30 Hz determines the bearing to the VOR station. Distortion in the signal will produce reciprocal error; it may say you are 60 degrees from the station but have to take a 244 degree heading to get to the station - a 4 degree reciprocal error. This fantasy signal had none of that. However, when we changed to another blank channel the signal would shift exactly ten degrees higher. Changing back was the same - it increased another ten degrees. We swapped antenna connectors and the symptom stayed with the radio, but these were tube type radios and incapable of the sophistication required to do this in electronics. About this time it was time to close up. We would tackle it in the morning. In the morning the symptom was gone and we never heard from it again.

A lot of people wonder why I am not dismissive of paranormal phenomena. 40+ years of dealing with the inexplicable makes me less of a skeptic.

#3 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:47 PM

Yes, I've read that Gremlins can sure cause problems. If you click on Gremlins, it will bring you to a website, Which has interesting information on them.
My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#4 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,649 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

I'd recommend Jacques Vallee's book Dimensions. Generally speaking he addresses the UFO phenomena as not nuts and bolts spacecraft from other planets but something else. He ties in gremlins, fairies and other "little people" as all being the same thing
My Signature
Posted Image

#5 Dazzled Dad

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:18 AM

View PostMacCionoadha, on 21 June 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

Yes, I've read that Gremlins can sure cause problems. If you click on Gremlins, it will bring you to a website, Which has interesting information on them.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Roald Dahl's children's book ''The Gremlins''.

https://en.wikipedia...ki/The_Gremlins

#6 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:41 PM

Thank you Dazzled Dad, that was a good read. If anyone want's a copy, they're available on Amazon.com. and there is one copy for sale on Ebay.
My Signature

Posted Image

My Shop

#7 biblophile

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, books art

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:44 AM

View PostMacCGStudy, on 21 June 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

thanks for the link that was a interesting article. I like the bit about Lindbergh.

#8 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

You're welcome, biblophile.
My Signature

Posted Image

My Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com