• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:48 AM

I have been watching a few TV programs lately where people swear blind that an orb = spirit regardless. To me 99.9% or orbs is just dust/insects/etc. The 0.1%"could be something else"

If anyone does not know, when using a source of illumination (eg IR Illuminator or Flash) with a camera, the amount of potential dust ords is dependant on location of flash/illumination and the camera lens. Have a read at http://strangeoccurrencesparanormal.weebly.com/orbs-explained.html

The size of the potential orb is dependant of size of dust particle and the cameras focal point. So if a dust particle is within the camera's focus point and is illumonated then the reflected light is reflected into the camera lens and a fuzzy round orb is then captured.

So to help me use illumination and an full spectrum camera and to avoid the dust etc reflecting to create orbs I am building a small handheld camera rig a bit like a rifle.

The full spectrum camera I am using is a Gitup Git2 Action with a 170deg non-ir lens. I am recording at 1080p 60fps. The focal point has been set at 50cm (This is important)

Now with the IR illuminator being fixed to the end to the camera rig (ie muzzle end) and the camera is fixed at the stock end (55cm away from the IR illuminator) which means that I will have no dust bunnies present as the illumination is past the fixed focal point. So if I then see an orb it can not really be dust (well it still might be if another light source comes close to the camera like a torch or other led from other equipment) and once that is rulled out then the orb has to be something else.

I have already built my first rig but once I put all the equipment on it it was a bit unbalanced so I am having to move things around a bit to put the balancing point on my wrist so I will not put strain on my wrist.

If anyone else has some ideas or other advice then I am happy to listen.

I don't know when I shall using it in an actual investigation but at least it is finished and ready.

I also redid the IR illuminator, I had used some 940mn IR LEDs but these had a red glow (in normal eye vision) when used and I wanted complete darkness in normal eye vision so I manaded to track some down and these work a treat.

#2 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

It's impossible to avoid dust entirely.   It was the bane of the darkroom back when I was a teacher's assistant in photography in college.

You minimize risk.   You make sure your equipment is scrupulously clean,  separate the flash from the lens as much as possible (that's why integrated flashes are more of an issue than hotshoe flashes) and let the scene settle for ten minutes or so before shooting.

And you will still photograph dust.

That's the reason why even though I'm a true orb believer ™ I say all orbs must be considered physical unless you saw it with your own two eyes.

Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#3 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostTantric KittenGStudy, on 30 December 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

That's the reason why even though I'm a true orb believer ™ I say all orbs must be considered physical unless you saw it with your own two eyes.

Thank you Tantric, and also yes, seeing is believing, especially with your own eyes of an orb that is generating it's own light.

Edited by Capt-Zeanie, 31 December 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#4 chapsparanormal

chapsparanormal

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Martial Arts, Travel, Geocaching

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

Agree with Capt 100% and explained very well.

In no case would I except an orb, save for maybe when I started. There were a few when the first experience with night vision made me pretty excited. That is to be expected.
Dave Gibb,
Director Canadian Haunting and Paranormal Society
http://www.chapsparanormal.ca
Liaison TAPS Family International.
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#5 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Doppelganger

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

I am a true orb believer, I too have seen them with my own two eyes from childhood; even before the term was coined. Unfortunately, I am not able to distinguish them in photos but it doesn't mean they don't exist :)
Posted Image

#6 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:15 PM

I believe a true orb is just a form of energy, be it magnetic, tectonic, manmade or organic(plasma/gaseous). It isn't a spirit, but if there are spirits present, they could(arguably) use the energy from them, to help in manifesting themselves or phenomenon.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#7 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Doppelganger

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:00 AM

View PostMacCGStudy, on 28 February 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

I believe a true orb is just a form of energy, be it magnetic, tectonic, manmade or organic(plasma/gaseous). It isn't a spirit, but if there are spirits present, they could(arguably) use the energy from them, to help in manifesting themselves or phenomenon.

I agree in part, I don't know what they are only that I could see a heap of them as a child and they seemed to be able to understand what I would say. I was scared of them as a child and would tell them to "scat" and they would. I have seen them come through the wall or just pop into existence; I believe if they are spirit orbs; they could be used by spirits just like any other tool.
Posted Image

#8 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

I’m mostly poisoned by the abundance of submissions on the internet suggesting that orbs are spiritual in nature without any real investigation on how and why they can be naturally explained by understanding how photographic/video equipment works when implementing light and how to mostly avoid it from occurring.

I become infuriated by so-called investigators who fail to investigate.

Part of becoming a polished investigator is trying to replicate events that cannot be readily explained. It will not remove all doubts but might encourage alternate enlightenment.

For those dogmatically repeating they have no dust in their homes, I'd suggest they lack understanding on what a "clean room" entails from Intel or denies that the human body sheds 7 lbs of skin yearly.

Here is a great DIY link on video avoidance.

http://www.ghostgadg...howto/DEVA.html

As Tantric mentioned, off-camera flash/off camera lighting successfully reduces the natural occurrence. In fact, we turned off all the IR emitters on our cameras and used black light panels and other light sources distanced from the lens. This did not completely remove orbage but greatly removed it from footage.

But, on the other I will be the first to admit ONCE I had an event that defied the usual orbage. While passively investigating in a cemetery, a fellow investigator to my back with camera and myself with an audio recording quietly observed the tranquility.

Suddenly, I saw an self-illuminated orb with a 3 foot tail meander between the tombstones almost with intention. It lasted for 5 seconds or more before disappearing. Memorized by the occurrence, I signaled my partner to look but all in vain as it had already gone invisible. Naturally, I was the one holding the audio recorder and no camera. (Consider more than one piece equipment on hand….checkmark.)

Scientists suggest it could be ball lightning or possibly ignited swamp gas. I really do not know what I saw or whether it was spiritual in nature, but I’m elated that my skepticism was tested with another ponderous question to ask.

Edited by EVP, 08 March 2017 - 11:33 AM.

#9 Kiwilady

Kiwilady

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

I personally know the person who wrote the blog you have put the link up for.  James is indeed a very seasoned and professional investigator and has a wealth of knowledge.  I'd be interested in hearing how your set-up works evp.  (I suspect that you may still get the odd dust orb but it should in theory eliminate most of them.)  I know that orbs exist as I have seen them with my eyes but have never had a camera at the ready (unfortunately) so as a result I will not claim any orb caught in my photos or videos as being a spirit.  I can't understand how some claim to know the difference between dust and a spirit simply by looking at an orb photo and it annoys me to see that some paranormal groups are still claiming orbs as captures and evidence of spirit activity......

Kiwilady Kiwilady

Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

http://hauntedauckland.com

#10 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,247 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:13 AM

I personally think they are more prevalent than we know. We just can't see them for the most part and cameras aren't advanced enough to capture them 99.9% of the time.
I guess to truly appreciate them, you have to experience seeing them with your own eyes. I have seen them with my eyes twice and both times there was a witness.

I'm pretty sure I can prove they exist. You can find them in a huge nature park in the San Francisco bay area. It was dusk and I watched one drift by at a slow rate of speed. It had a streaming tail and it moved up and down as it traveled. My research partner looked at me and said, did you see it. I said yes. She said there was another one just before that one. It became dark shortly after that but I have always wanted to go back. I looked up the park online this week and I'll try to get over there this summer. I don't even know if a camera will be able to capture this particular type of orbs. But I guess I'll find out.

The other time, was at a haunted Inn in Virginia City, CA. I and another ghost hunter watched an orb come towards us and flew right between us and disappeared. Like at the park, I was asked if I saw it. We both did and it was an amazing experience.  

I also captured one on film in 2002. But that's a story for another day.
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: orb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users