Free Skins
© Fisana

Do Certain People Attract Ghosts/spirits?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RavenHeart

RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts
  • Interests:All things Paranormal, Spiritual, and Supernatural, . Love Music, Camping, Horseback Riding, Cinema, Photography, Art, Native American Story-Telling. Kundalini Reiki, Holographic Quantum Physics etc.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

I have been wondering if people who are empathic, sensitive, intuitive, or psychic (etc), are prone to attracting ghosts and spirits or if they are simply more attuned and therefore more apt to experience the paranormal? I also wonder if there is a way for these types of people to "dial down" their openness without having to block things out completely. I am not a professional nor do I claim to be psychic. I prefer the terms sensitive and intuitive, but at any rate, I am finding it more and more uncomfortable to be so open to things. Thanks.

Edited by RavenHeart, 30 October 2009 - 04:31 PM.

#2 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:57 AM

I have known at least two people close to me--my husband and my best friend--who would say that yes, ghosts, spirits, and entities do seem to be more attracted to those who are more sensitive to them.  

My late husband Jack seemed to have a sixth sense.  Despite being extremely grounded (former military and highly rational/analytical by nature), he was able to see and sense things that I and many others could not.  He saw apparitions quite a few times, including on our property--which was Native American land once upon a time and which has always seemed to be spiritually active.  He was approached and pursued in public on several occasions by people who he had reason to believe were not living and who may not even have been human.  They noticed him noticing them, and from there took a particular interest in him.  In retrospect, I think that they may have recognized him as one of the rare individuals with the ability to interact with them and thus pursued him accordingly.  I will give examples later on after I get home.  These were quite interesting experiences.

My best friend is quite clairvoyant and always has been.  He too has seen spirits and been approached by them when they realize that he is a living person with the ability to sense them.  He can totally relate to my husband's experiences.  In fact, the same apparition evidently followed us back to my best friend's home after a ghost hunting excursion and showed itself to both my best friend and husband later that night, in separate rooms.  The following morning, they mentioned their encounters and were surprised to discover that they'd seen exactly the same thing.  

My best friend is also highly empathic.  (So was Jack to some extent.)  He has worked on suppressing this sensitivity in highly emotional settings so that he won't be overwhelmed.  Don't ask me how he does it.  It's an ability that he's had to develop over a long period of time.  It's similar to detachment as a defense mechanism.  But that goes more for the empathic sensitivity than the ability to see and perceive spirits.  That seems to stay strong in any situation.

Of course, I'm just recounting these experiences second-hand.  Personally, I'm about as psychic as a brick.  biggrin.gif  Which stinks...I told Michael and Jack that I always envied their abilities and wished I were just as perceptive and sensitive.  They told me that, in many cases, I'm lucky not to be able to sense what they did.  (I'm still envious, though).

I hope this helps answer your question.  I will share more examples later, as I mentioned.

#3 RavenHeart

RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts
  • Interests:All things Paranormal, Spiritual, and Supernatural, . Love Music, Camping, Horseback Riding, Cinema, Photography, Art, Native American Story-Telling. Kundalini Reiki, Holographic Quantum Physics etc.

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

Thank you for your reply! Although, as I mentioned previously, I do not consider myself to be psychic in the classic sense, I have taken several tests that score me as highly intuitive, empathic, precognitive, clairvoyant, and clairsentient. I experienced trauma as a child and think that sort of triggered latent abilities. I have always just considered myself to be 'sensitive', which is kind of cool in a way, except when it comes to switching it off (and the fact that I'm a man) lol. It is like I feel every little energy shift, just as one can feel static electricity. If I can gain some control over when I pick up on things, I would consider it more of a gift. I look forward to reading your examples.

#4 Supernerd

Supernerd

Ghoul

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Cats, books, music, paranormal, art, swords, jokes, crochet, etc...etc... and all that jazz. ;-)

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:20 PM

I'm a ghost-magnet also, and yes, I'm a clairvoyant-in-training. laugh.gif My workplace is haunted, so I'm getting training there. smile.gif
Never play leapfrog with a Unicorn!

Haunted New Zealand
NZ Ghosts and Other Haunts

#5 hatsheput63

hatsheput63

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:egypt..crafts..reading...history..drawing..my family...antiques..ghosts...evps...

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

I'm a telemarketer attracter. th_sarcastic_blum.gif ~Shelley
m
What is this ghost shadow that brushes my shoulder?
The night wind whispers and I must follow. Long is the shadow cast by the black wings of fear.

Posted Image

#6 Supernerd

Supernerd

Ghoul

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Cats, books, music, paranormal, art, swords, jokes, crochet, etc...etc... and all that jazz. ;-)

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE(hatsheput63 @ Oct 31 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
m

Gawd! I know that feeling! laugh.gif
Never play leapfrog with a Unicorn!

Haunted New Zealand
NZ Ghosts and Other Haunts

#7 petunia4998

petunia4998

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

I completely agree with Augustine about spirits being attracted to those that can see them or know of their presence.

I think it is very difficult for most spirits because they're unable to communicate with the average human.  They have things to say, but no one can hear them or can even acknowledge that they're still around.   bunny.gif

#8 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:47 AM

Okay, I promised some detailed examples, so here they are.

This is copied from a thread I posted in early 2007 when my husband had this creepy experience:

My husband seemed very preoccupied when I got out of class and met him for coffee last night. When I asked what was wrong, he said "promise not to laugh?" and I assured him that I wouldn't.

Now, I mentioned that the activity around our house had stepped up recently and that he's had a few rather creepy sightings these last few days. I posted another topic about it in the same section of the forum. He experiences the bulk of the paranormal activity lately, which is interesting because he didn't even believe in ghosts until we met and I introduced him to my interest in the paranormal. Now, it's almost like ghosts seek him out on purpose. He's also not mentally ill nor does he experience hallucinations or delusions.

What happened is this...he was at WalMart yesterday around lunchtime, picking up some groceries. He parked the truck and was walking through the parking lot when he noticed this man in black leather motorcycle gear (the whole outfit was tight leather, like serious bikers wear) walking toward a motorcycle parked nearby. For some reason, my husband was compelled to turn and look at this person as he got on the bike, and he noticed the man's face under the helmet. He said the face was not human...it was some kind of monster. It was black and red and torn up/scaly, like it had recently been cooked in a fire. Not scarred or anything. He said it looked like some hellish movie creature. He also said its eyes were pitch black. The man/thing gave my husband a weird, almost mocking look, and then rode off on the bike.

Shortly thereafter, my husband was in the store shopping when he came up next to a woman who also didn't look human. She was very large, wearing some kind of bizarre black outfit, and she had all kinds of piercings in her face, including a huge red horn or spike protruding from the middle of her chin. Not just a stud...HUGE. I know--sounds like a goth or punk, nothing more, right? Well, not exactly. He said that the shape of her features was not human at all. It was kind of like in vampire shows and movies, when their faces change and their features look demonic and creature-ish. She locked eyes with him and gave him this evil, demonic looking leering smile. He left the aisle and continued with his shopping, and a few minutes later, there she was again. It kept happening like that. She'd appear out of nowhere when he'd turn a corner to go to a new aisle. He didn't know how she could move that fast. She was always looking at him with that devilish leer and he felt that she was following him on purpose. He got the most evil feeling from her, like she radiated hatred and negativity. It was all he could do not to drop the groceries and run from the store.

There was another incident (also at a grocery store at night) a few years prior to that where a woman who my husband had never met suddenly turned to him and, with an unnerving smile on her face, said "I got your message, Jack."  This was a complete stranger.  The only message he had left for anyone was a joking message he'd written for his professor the previous evening on one of the whiteboards at the college (he was taking night classes at the time).  It was a small college and the room was accessible by students and staff only...and this woman was neither.  If she'd been around the class, he would have recognized her.  Jack found the encounter very disturbing.  He didn't think she was a ghost, but there was something "off" about her too.  Kind of like those people/entities in the Walmart.

Flash back a year or two prior to that.  We were upstairs in an antique shop in St. Augustine.  The only way to and from was the large main staircase in the front.  Jack noticed a woman who kept following him and giving him curious looks.  I was busy looking at books and didn't see her.  At one point, she gave him a long look and then walked into an alcove in the corner.  The alcove was enclosed by walls on two sides and huge bookcases on the other.  When Jack walked by a second later and peeked into the alcove, she was not there.  There's nowhere she could have gone.  Had she walked back out of the alcove and down the stairs, he would have seen her clearly.  She had disappeared.  He believes he saw a ghost.

He was always the one to see the Native American-looking apparitions on our property.  I have felt odd sensations and heard footsteps, but I have never seen them.  On one of these encounters, an apparition turned its head and looked at him in acknowledgment.

I would have to ask Michael to detail some of his experiences, but his are not too different from Jack's.  Whatever these people/beings were, they definitely seemed to know who was aware of them and thus gravitated toward him.

Hope these examples proved interesting and helpful, Ravenheart.  smile.gif

#9 RavenHeart

RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:24 AM

Thank you for sharing those experiences. I think I would have become a bit parnoid after the first couple of encounters.  The examples really hit home. I can recognize how weird one feels when experiencing things that a lot of people don't. It also leaves me wondering, if these occurences are a lot more common than we think, (since not everyone is willing to share such experiences). I have a stress disorder and clinical depression and these are considered "mental illnesses" however, I have been assured by professionals that I am not schizophrenic, psychotic, or prone to hallucinations. I hate that I feel the need to establish that fact, because I can't really blame others for not believing in things that they have never experienced. Still, I have a lot of repect for those who have had genuine encounters and choose to share them regardless of possible stigmas and preconcieved notions. So, thank you to both you and your husband.

#10 the evil

the evil

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:46 AM

i have had A LOT of people, mediums (or people who believe they are....), religious people, so on and so on that say i attract this stuff. i have had LOts of strange encounters that no one else i have ever talked to before has had (my blue faceless people.... but i could be nuts, if it wasn't for the dog), seen shadow people, beleive i may have been taunted by something in a very haunted house repeatedly in my dreams. old man in a brown suit with a brown derby hat and cane; never saw anything like him in real life but he was always trying to tempt me to go with him. the first dreams started with him just asking then they turned into him pretending to be other people i knew then finally turned into him using other entities to attack people he thought would weaken me. again i MAY be nuts.

at one point we moved into a new house which i predetermined (and found out later i was right) an old lady died in. i could swear it followed me around and one night began turning on and off my tv while i tried to sleep, then (yes this WILL sound nuts) made my cat talk. not talk like clearly and coherently but in a raspy cat sound say get out a few times until i got mad (my poor cat, the only one i liked and she had to put up with so much crud..... RIP spike). we had just moved from a SUPER haunted house where the spirits used to like to pretend to be me (it would mimic my voice to my brother and sister) so i became desensitized enough to tell it i wasnt interested, leave my tv alone i wanted to sleep. everything stopped and ever since then i never had a big encounter again. i think in my angered self centered puberty i kind of shut it off. i have gone on investigations before and got some good video once of orbs (which are HIGHLY speculative) floating around my face and head examining me. one actually in slow mo hovered in front of my face moved up split into two and one went back off screen while the other went (this is the only part that makes me think) behind my head to look at the other side of me and flew away. i unfortunately don't have this video anymore due to a falling out.

NOW just recently i have said a few times on this board my girls condo has begun to really freak me out. i dont pay mind and do my best to ignore it so i dont hint to her but it basically started after her daughter played with a quigi board. now i put half and half into them ESPECIALLY with young girls playing with them, but she told her mom it mentioned me and i told her never to play with the thing again. awkward thing is it only goes up and down the stairs. on the stairs all my hairs stand up my body tingles and my breathing gets heavy. once OFF the stairs i am fine, so whatever it is stays there for some reason (funny thing is she just recently told me she has hated going downstairs). for some reason i really feel like in the past year or so im getting a little more sensitive again. i am not an easily scared person and usually stand my ground but man AM I JUST waiting for something to happen. could all be in my head.

so in short i do beleive people attract things as much as

#11 mainemom207

mainemom207

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Interests:History of places, haunted or not..
    Love cooking and making new things and new recipes are always fun! And well.. Love Cemeteries and Folklore and Love to hear of the History of the United States as well as Abroad.. which has a vast history all by itself!

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE(hatsheput63 @ Oct 31 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
m

That is cute!

Although I have gotten lucky with the telemarketer calls I have not had many or none...
which is a blessing to me!

I have to say that people that are sensitive to spirits are a "beacon of Light" to them..
Cuz my son and grandpa and daddy all of them,
are all sensitive in one way or another.
Like Augustine.. I am about as clairvoyant or psychic as a brick as well smile.gif
I could walk through a ghost or sit in a chair with one in there and not know it!
But my son is very sensitive and at 12 it has been a challenge for him indeed.
But he is learning to turn it off and on and tell them hey not now I will help you soon but not now..
and they understand finally..
but they do get to be buggy.. i guess.. i don't know I am just going by what my son and grandpa states...
If you don't shut them off at times, they will come at all hours of the day and night and not stop , I guess.. so my son told me there are times he tells them hey come back at this time and I will help you as I can..
He says some do others don't ..
so hope that helps..
Interested in spirits and the history of places..
Peace and Blessings, Lynne'

Posted Image

#12 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:30 PM

I agree I believe some people are more sensitive to spirits than other people. I also believe some spirits are more sensitive to us too than other spirits.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users