62 replies to this topic

#1 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:23 PM

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- French doctors were taken aback when they discovered the reason for a patient's sore, swollen belly: He had swallowed around 350 coins -- $650 worth -- along with assorted necklaces and needles.

CNN. com Webpage
OMG that must hurt ohmy.gif

Be Good!

#2 RaQ

RaQ

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:30 PM

The patientís rare condition is called pica, a compulsion to eat things not normally consumed as food. Its name comes from the Latin word for magpie, a bird thought to eat just about anything.

Ah good, it said what that condition is called. I couldn't think of it.
I used to have a box full of old unlabeled x-rays from an old lab, quite a few were of people with coins, necklaces, etc. in their stomachs. The others I can't mention on this board.  laugh.gif

Edited by RaQ, 18 December 2004 - 06:31 PM.

#3 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:31 PM

That is crazy. Man I swallowed a penny one time and freaked out. I could not imagine that many coins in my belly.

#4 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(RaQ @ Dec 18 2004, 06:30 PM)
The others I can't mention on this board.  laugh.gif

View Post

Ahhh thanks tongue.gif

Yeah, LD i tried a quater once. man I thought I was going to die unsure.gif
Be Good!

#5 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:37 PM

I was goofing with some freinds drinking shots with the penny in my mouth and it went down and I was in shock, sobered me up fast! The thought of coins or anything other than food in my stomach makes me a bit sick.

#6 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:39 PM

Yeah I remember seeing stars and coughing
Be Good!

#7 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:45 PM

I coughed and started to get all panicy. It was weird cause my buds just thought I was drunk but I was sincerely freaking out. After awhile I realized it did not hurt so I was good to go.

#8 munbby

munbby

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:00 AM

Wow, I can't imagine suffering from such a condition.  I can't imagine how much that had to hurt.

#9 Guest_Elektra_*

Guest_Elektra_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:21 AM

Just when I think I'm weird, I hear some messed up story like that! That's crazy!

#10 Yuri Hyuga

Yuri Hyuga

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Watch Anime,play games ,read manga. Watch kamen rider shows. Write. Super robot wars and study about yokai

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:27 AM

In old times some soliders swollow there money so no one could steal them.
I Know what drives my body. It's not duty or mission. It's the desire to protect people. Yeah, I fight becuse i love people! Kamen Rider Blade.

When you're lost.You're sure to be guided by the strength of your feelings- The future you wish for is already in your hands. Kamen Rider Den-o

#11 scuba

scuba

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:57 AM

Ceaser and LD, I think you two must have been separated at birth laugh.gif  wink.gif
"Saying nothing sometimes says the most."

-Emily Dickinson-
user posted image

#12 4cookiesrwe

4cookiesrwe

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:10 AM

Wow!  That's amazing.  I have heard of pica before but had never heard of such a bizarre case of it.  Poor guy!
Thanks for sharing, Ceasar!

Posted Image

#13 JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Lil' D's Gramma

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,277 posts
  • Location:Over the Hill and Through the Woods...Really just Over the Hill
  • Interests:My grandson!!

Posted 19 December 2004 - 03:25 PM

I couldn't imagine the pain this man felt! How sad it resulted in his death.  sad.gif  Money is soo heavy in this volume, I would have died from the pain!

#14 princesssbrat

princesssbrat

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Everything paranormal, photography, family, fun, cooking, creating

Posted 19 December 2004 - 03:47 PM

wow.... I've heard of cases of pica before where people ingested stuf like Vicks vapor rub and small amounts of gasoline...... poor fellow,the pain must have been horrid.

user posted image

"Every living creature on Earth dies alone." - Grandma Death

#15 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 06:26 PM

I have trouble getting my medication down, yet alone an amount of currency like this. It is amazing that someone could do this. There was a guy here who on a dare actually ate a bunch of christmas light bulbs.

#16 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:06 PM

When I was little, I was drinking soda and accidentally spilled some on the table in my room.  Instead of cleaning everything off with a napkin I decided to lick it "clean."  (Did I mention I was 5 then?)  So I had this nickel in my mouth that I was "cleaning" and I hiccuped suddenly and swallowed it!  I felt it go all the way down too!  ohmy.gif  I freaked and ran to my mom in a panic.  Because I hadn't choked on it, she didn't seem too concerned.  But she did do a "stool check" (uggghhh!) to make sure it passed.  Guess it did.  Never thought to ask.  blink.gif

I guess if you swallow enough of this stuff, though, it collects.  Sadly to say, that's probably the only way I could ever save any money!  tongue.gif

Kate

#17 Hunter

Hunter

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Interests:Model Trains, Paranormal research, SCA (SCA.ORG), My family, movies, life in general.

Posted 20 December 2004 - 07:05 AM

I was just talking with one of our clinic Nurses and she told me that 2 weeks ago they had a lady come in with 3.5 pounds of metal in her stomach. They were checking her for something else and that showed up on the X-Ray. She told the nurse that she neede the extra weight so she could qualify for some event. I do not know what it was. She was rushed to the hospital. Again I do not know her out come.

Edited by Hunter, 20 December 2004 - 07:05 AM.

Hanging around GS since the late 90's
What is normal and what is real and who are we to decide?

#18 Eclectic420

Eclectic420

Shadow Ghost

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 07:41 AM

greetings,

this topic made me remember seeing a story on this guy on the show Ripley's believe it or not.

this guy has been over the years eating anything. he some sort of British carnival act or something. but he said he has eaten bicycles, the tires and all, glass on a regular basis, it even said he ate a small airplane one time, the engine an all, over a few months.          

hard to believe, but the show had x-rays and all sorts of things. ofcourse all this stuff the guy ate was chopped up to a size easily swallowed, but still....where do you put a plane? could you image the bowel movements associated with this....all the clinking and clanging...lmao. nuts

blessings,

Posted Image

"a person can be so open minded, that they infact are close minded."-ME

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"-William of Ockham (Ockham's razor)

My MySpace Page - Add Me If You Like

The Eclectic Mind

#19 spacemonkey

spacemonkey

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:49 AM

I find it hard to believe somebody has no control over what they swallow.  You label it a disease if u want but it just sounds like the guy wasn't too bright. ohmy.gif

#20 Hunter

Hunter

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Interests:Model Trains, Paranormal research, SCA (SCA.ORG), My family, movies, life in general.

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:30 AM

Eclectic420 I remember that show. It still gives me the shudders to think about it. Expecially since we all know that it has to pass eventually.
Hanging around GS since the late 90's
What is normal and what is real and who are we to decide?