7 replies to this topic

#1 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:12 PM

I'd like some opinions if you have a moment.

I'm tired. Really tired. I have a job working the front desk of a bed and breakfast. It's nice that it's quiet but I think it's time to leave the industry I have devoted 16 years to because I've reached the point of serious burn out. I want to do something different. $12 an hour just doesn't cut it. I rather regret having taken office management as my college specialty all those years ago, I honestly should have taken something more useful that could be expanded upon.

Part of what I learned was bookkeeping. But it's been nearly 20 years. It's much more useful and long term. With it being so long ago, I need to go back to school to renew my knowledge of it. The problem is the cost. The government considers that we make too much money, most scholarships require that I already be enrolled or a member of a minority (such as being black, or being a mother, etc) which I do not belong to. My dad said he can't help. My mum died years ago, and my stepdad hasn't spoken to me in years.

I'm not sure what to do honestly. What do you think? Since I'm not from the US, I'm honestly not sure what my options really are. Any information or suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

#2 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Lead Moderator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:20 PM

I guess it depends on where you are wanting to go. Community and Technical colleges are cheaper than Universities, mostly because you only have to pay for the classes and books. I suggest going to the school and ask about payment plans. Or, it also might take a bit longer to get a degree, but maybe take a few classes at a time, instead of the full roster all at once. If the school lets you.
Posted Image

#3 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:10 PM

You can try an online school to brush up on your bookkeeping skills. I don't know what it costs, but you can check out this one. I know they have a course in Accounting. Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU).

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#4 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:57 PM

Since you are not from the US - is there something in that regards that might help you?

#5 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:07 PM

View PostMichelleGStudy, on 11 April 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

Since you are not from the US - is there something in that regards that might help you?

If I remember correctly, she wasn't born in the US, but lives here now; I think Louisiana, though I may be wrong.

Edited by MacCionoadha BeanSidhe, 11 April 2018 - 09:10 PM.

Posted Image

My Shop

#6 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

Unfortunately I've lived in Louisiana for ten years, Canada won't help me at all. Pity I don't live in Tennessee, they've started giving free schooling.

#7 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

View PostMacCionoadha BeanSidhe, on 11 April 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

If I remember correctly, she wasn't born in the US, but lives here now; I think Louisiana, though I may be wrong.

Oh, ok - thanks Mac C :)

#8 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:27 PM

:good:

Posted Image

My Shop