Doing Research On Land Where A Multi-Family Community

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kate

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:58 PM

I experienced some very bizarre and scary things in my apartment several years ago (2003-2006). I eventually transferred to another unit on the property (not because of the activity but because we wanted a smaller apartment) and the activity wasn't quite as much but a few things did happen in this apartment that I am in now. Well, our downstairs neighbors have had some very spooky things happen in their apartment.

So I am starting to really wonder about this place. I went to the police station in reference to my old apartment to see if there were any murders or something (haha) they looked at me like I was off my rocker and I know the property management company isn't going to give me anything.

Do you guys know where I could begin looking? I live in Denton county, Texas -- Lewisville to be exact.

Thanks!

#2 the_gray_jester

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Parapsychology, Metal music, Photography, Writing, reading, and investigating.

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

looking at the library and online for criminal activity and newpaper articles are always a good place to start. sometimes you wont get in depth information, but you can find out if something hapend in your building.  if there is nothing, you can check historical records of the area. and see if anything noteworthy happend before the development of the land.
My Signature
Posted Image

#3 Kate

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

Well, I know that our city is one of the oldest paleo-Indian sites. It dates back to 1100 BC....

But I don't think that has anything to do with the things happening.

Maybe City hall?

Like how do you approach that situation when they ask why you want to see records? lol.

#4 trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

also if something happened after it was an apartment complex, there may have been a great deal done to conceal where something had happened.  If you find an old newspaper report, it might say "such and such happened in the neighborhood near this intersection" it might say "in a home near * Intersection*" or "In a complex in the such and such neighborhood" but not the actual address, and sometimes not the names of the parties.  

Several years ago, I lived in a complex where there was a fire in one of the units on the floor below mine. the fire started in the kitchen and the residents fled... not like "pull the alarm and wait outside for the fire department" fled... but run out of the building, slamming doors, NOT pulling the alarm, getting in their car and squeeling tires to get out of there= fled.  Police and FD came, asked lots of questions "Do you know the people who live in ###?" (uh no, i just heard doors slamming people running down the hall and slamming the outer door.... )

I still don't know what happened: PD, won't say anything. (report might be available now... years later),  management said "Oh something was just left on the stove." (uh why flee like bats outa hell?) NOTHING in the paper, Nothing on local news... just ZIP hushed up...  

They don't want anything to impact on being able to rent out the units.

even though it only involved the one unit, several families were displaced for the night, (the whole building essentially) and of course none of us had any proof for the boss the next day of why were were useless and exhausted...

Edited by trin, 28 May 2011 - 07:17 PM.

My Signature

#5 Leogirl13

EVP

• GS Member
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:reading,dancing,cooking,music,movies,and antiques

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:07 PM

Sadly finding out anything that happended in an appartment complex is worse than pulling teeth. Appartment complexs and rental properties in general don't want the bad press or to make their properties "unrentable". Many go so far as to pay to keep their names out of newspapers and off of the news. This is really done not only to keep their reputation but to protect residents from vandals,burglury, and trill seekers.

My advice is get to know the people that work there. They will be more willing to spill the beans about the place or to tell you about what other tenants have experianced. This worked well for me at 2 different complexes that I lived in with activity.Also see if you can find any past tenants to talk to and see if they had any experiances or know of anything that happened.
My Signature
I am what you will be...

#6 Kate

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

See that's the crud part about it. You can get chummy with a manager or whatever but they don't last at the apartments for longer than a few months. Since 2003 we have had at least 12 managers and in the last 4 years we've had maybe 6 new management companies come in. The original owners were just complete slumlords (which is a pity because despite being an old complex, it's quite nice if it was given proper maintenance and TLC). So the newer managers and things just don't know anything about the history.

A resident here became a property manager and one of the units she said was painted entirely black and there was some strange paraphernalia left behind.
But for several apartments to have activity the only thing I can come up with is that their is something with the land, of course these apartments have been around since the 1980's so it could be a combination of land and previous tenants?

I don't know. I'll have to do some legwork I guess I'll start with city hall or maybe I can post the events here and you can confirm my suspicions about me being insane.

#7 trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

If there is some "old busybody" type, who has lived there a long time, that person can sometimes be a great resource.

it's awful when the ownership keeps changing (complex getting "flipped" was going on at the old place) and the management is also transient and "squirrelly"
My Signature

#8 Ghuoest

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:44 AM

Might be worth a shot to ask that manager about the strange paraphernalia.

#9 Torrey

Apport

• GS Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

Given the connection you've mentioned regarding Native American land, it might also be helpful to check newspaper archives around the date of the apartment construction, to see if anything that may have been interred was inadvertently disturbed or relocated.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com