4 replies to this topic

#1 Kristin

Kristin

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

I'm curious what everyones thoughts are on Cern!!!

#2 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:11 PM

Hi, Kristin:

I think that it has been 5 months or better since I did a quick check on them.   Let's see if I can remember.   They discovered the Higgs Bisom and think that there maybe more than one.   It put the String theory advocates on hold and they should be getting ready to run more experiments.  I'm sure they are going to need more math.   Who knows how long that will take?

That's off the top of my head without looking anything up.   Do I think it's worth it?   I have mixed feelings about it.  I've tried to sort them out but have a hard maintaining my focus on it.  I'm satisfied to check in just to see what they are up to.
Find an old place with history, with people and learn all its nuances.

#3 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,709 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

They are doing groundbreaking work IMO. As Menet said, they discovered the Higgs-Boson. They are probing the fundamental structure of the universe anti-matter, etc. Here's a handy log of sorts to keep folks up to date on what they are doing: https://home.cern/about/updates
Posted Image

#4 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

K I agree :yes: but it's only "mostly" Higgs the boson was "confirmed" BUT was quite a but lighter than expected yet fit every other predicted detail almost too well. So next up "supersymmetry" to explain the missing mass and maybe find 17 more fundamental particles and perhaps darkmatter or atleast that was the plan for the powerup :yahoo:
- siguie -

#5 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 22 September 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

They are doing groundbreaking work IMO. As Menet said, they discovered the Higgs-Boson. They are probing the fundamental structure of the universe anti-matter, etc. Here's a handy log of sorts to keep folks up to date on what they are doing: https://home.cern/about/updates

Thanks for the link!
Find an old place with history, with people and learn all its nuances.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users