• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:34 PM

Since the death of my notebook I am moving onto a different Ghost Box not only in functionality but also looks.

I wanted to design my next Ghost Box as if it was devised in the Steampunk era (1837 to 1901). I know it's an artistic license but I wanted to make it look better than a cheap ABS project box.
I initially thought of using an old valve radio, not too big as I need to carry it but seeing the cost of old non-working radio's on eBay I decided I could not justify it. So I am going to build my own out of wood and see how good I really am with all my woodworking tools :-) (Not very good)

I would love to make a Cathedral design but the curves might just be out of reach of my talent. Just got to try first on some scrap wood. I'll leave the steampunk design to later on but there will be lots of copper and brass and glowing tubes.

At the base of this project will be an Arduino Mega by Wemos as it has WiFi baked in and also lots more input/output pins than the Uno's I currently have.
So I have placed an order with Banggood for lots of electronic goodies and also a few extras to help me prototype.

So, the Mega will control a FM Radio board, so I can program the sweeps etc, also run 2 temperature thermistors (one for the ambient and one for reference to see if there are any temp drops), a ultrasonic radar sweep, a 3 Axis Gyro With Accelerometer to measure vibrations and if I can I would like to record audio from the radio to the Mega SD card along with all the other sensor data.
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:23 AM

Ok, sounds like you are going to be busy, good luck with your project :)
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:14 AM

Um why did you want to use a Mega? The chinese Mega clones tend to be a bit unpredictable vs the Uno clones which are cheaper and generally better behaved. Also don't you just want the data logging shield with maybe an Si4703 FM thingy?

I personally recommend the Nanos for most projects if you just need a couple of IOs. Also I'm liking the Raspberry Pi's for their GPIOs and the fact that a Pi Zero can/could be purchased for $5 with the Zero W {built in wifi / BLE} selling for $10 :yes:

If you are into this kind of thing I also highly recommend 3D printing. Make your own project boxes and throw on some steampunk flourishes :yes:
- siguie -

#4 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:38 PM

:fright: I am sure this is
Déjà vu
Posted Image

#5 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:53 AM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 07 November 2018 - 11:38 PM, said:

:fright: I am sure this is
Déjà vu

More likely I don't unerstanz what he wants to doesPosted Image  I aint never used a Mega much less a wifi mega ... I just never had a project needing that many IOs,

I like Bangood :yes: and I buy a LOT of Chinese junk electronics 'cuz they is cheap and I don't usually mind fixing them. Most of the common Arduino knockoffs like the Nano and Unos are more or less fine ... occasionally you need to replace a faulty component but mostly the worst that happens is a missing or badly installed bootloader. For some of the less commonly used arduinos like the Tian it was more like :headlbash:  

Anywho it may just be my own issues with China made wifi BUT I generally tell people to stay away from anything that connects to your phone or router that isn't made from atleast a relatively well established company OR learn to use wireshark :whistling:

FYI: wireshark {aka Ethereal which I thought was a better name} is something called a "packet analyzer"  and with a little eXperience will show you everything going through your router and to where. I don't like it when my toys send information to undisclosed ... possibly dark web addresses for no disclosed reason. I also don't like it when wifi devices try to do "stuff" to my router without my consent OR at times when they should be idle.
- siguie -

#6 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:34 PM

steampunk here, (vending at Teslacon NEXT WEEK ZOMG! NOT READY YET! PANIC!) don't forget that wood verneer is a thing. Remember you are going to be carrying the thing around sites and packing and hauing it paces, things seem to get heavier the longer you carry them.  (this is why I retired a wooden work basket....)

obviously you know gears and findings are at craft stores now, and there are LED "tubes" out there now too, but I'm not sure where to get them.
I can't wait to see photos!

Edited by trin, 08 November 2018 - 12:35 PM.

#7 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:15 PM

By LED "tubes", do you mean these?

Google search

1000 Bulbs

Bulb America

Amazon

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#8 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:08 AM

All my bits have arrived now.

I have used many uno's etc over the years but never used a mega and as I wanted to get wifi so I could pull the data off without resorting to removing the SD card or pluggin the cat5 in a W5100 to extract the data I found the Wemos Mega's on a flash sale for £3 which were cheaper than a UNO, SD Card board and an ESP put together.

I have also wanted to add a few more sensors now that I went for the mega. It's all slowly coming together on the breadboards and wifi is working fine in AP mode.

I would like a 3d printer but can not really afford one at the moment even though they are on offer in Banggood at the moment.
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:49 AM

Sounds like you are going to be busy :D
Posted Image

#10 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:08 AM

K as long as yer happy projecting that's what counts :yes:

3D printers are AWESOME :bunny: I broke down a few months ago and got an Ender 3 original flavor from banggood $167 delivered. Technically it was a kit but was trivially easy to put together. The best part is that it was upgradeable by having it print its own parts.

In any event they are well worth the investment :yes: I've been printing tons of moderately useful plastic carp for months now. I also added a pi b+ so I could stream 1080p realtime printing video AND create designs at werk and send the files to my printer for slicing and printing. Once I figure out how to get a drone to pull the prints off the bed and fly them to me it could even be useful :bunny:
- siguie -

#11 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:19 PM

View Postsiguie, on 22 November 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

Once I figure out how to get a drone to pull the prints off the bed and fly them to me it could even be useful :bunny:

:rofl:
Posted Image

#12 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:20 AM

I can't wait to see it when it's finished! - Good luck!!

#13 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:34 PM

Bean, more like https://www.instruct...D-Vacuum-Tubes/

https://makezine.com...acuum-tube-mod/