• You cannot reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic

#1 dmitchellcsum

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

I was involved in a conversation with another investigator a few days ago that set me to thinking.  I have my own opinion on what the answer is but I am very curious as to what everyone else thinks.

My team offers consulting services to other teams to give a non-biased look at evidence, a team sent us a file from a SB-7 session and mentioned that he wasn't sure if the voice he was hearing was residual or intelligent.  This led to the conversation as to what would or wouldn't come out of the device.

My personal opinion is that only intelligent spirits can come through on the SB-7 because the theory behind the device is that the spirit can manipulate the white noise generated to create a voice that we can hear.  To me, residual energy wouldn't be able to do this because IMO it lacks the ability to interact with the physical world.

The questions that I pose to you
  • Could a residual haunt come through on a spirit box?
  • Would this explain responses that don't match questions that are asked?
  • Would such evidence be of any value to the investigator?

My Signature

Follow me on Twitter:  @UpstateParanorm

Posted Image

#2 InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Paranormal Stuff, Computer Games, Gadgets

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

I don't have an answer for you, as I don't have one yet.  I'm hoping to purchase one soon, so I'm also looking forward to this answer.
My Signature
What now, Holmes?

#3 CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

View Postdmitchellcsum, on 09 October 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

• Could a residual haunt come through on a spirit box?

• Would this explain responses that don't match questions that are asked?

• Would such evidence be of any value to the investigator?

1. It takes intelligent interaction on the part of spirit to manipulate the P-SB7

2. If you leave one run, they are like a beacon and become busy often chatting among themselves so responses may not be directed to the investigator.

3. Any evidence is valuable, some is better then others.

Note: If you intend on buying one get the "detuned" one.
My Signature

#4 InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

Chris, which is the detuned one?
My Signature
What now, Holmes?

#5 dmitchellcsum

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

@InquiringMind,  If you do a search you will be able to find them, basically for the same price as the normal ones I've found (Possibly because the ones used for ghost hunting are detuned).  The intent is to make words more prominent and clearer as they come through the box.

I purchased mine from GhostStop and have had only minimal luck with it but on the same note I haven't taken it on many investigations yet.
My Signature

Follow me on Twitter:  @UpstateParanorm

Posted Image

#6 InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Thanks, I've looked at it on Amazon, there are two sold by two different companies but with the exact same ghost hunting description, so I'm assuming it's the same thing.
My Signature
What now, Holmes?

#7 FromTheOtherSideUK

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

We have used them on the past few of our investigations, and they have been amazing. Probably my favourite piece of kit to play with so far.

You do have to remember things with them though. It can sound as if you heard something, when in fact it was a random noise, or it could just be coincidence. SO, if the quetion is an important one you have answered and you have an answer, ask it again and see if you get the same response.

On the last Ghost Hunt we conducted, on a 15th Century Manor House, we were able to maintain a very fluid conversation for about 30 minutes. most of the questions were repeated, and the spirit was able to answer the same for both questions each time. It seemed as if the responses to our questions were louder than the random noise on the ghost box.

It can however take a good few minutes to warm up the energy and get spirit communications through it. The group taking it in turns to ask the ghost box/ spirit to repeat their names one by one usually does it though. All of a sudden it will start repeating everybody's name one after another. (unless it seems biased against one person which seems common for spirits)

View PostInquiringMind, on 10 October 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Thanks, I've looked at it on Amazon, there are two sold by two different companies but with the exact same ghost hunting description, so I'm assuming it's the same thing.
I think there is only one.

I'm also unsure what detuned means. You can't really tune them in!

#8 Roxstar

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, ghost and after life research, family, music, science, video games. I am mostly into EVP but also love to use spirit boxes and other forms of communication. It's a true passion of mine, more than a hobby.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

I'm thinking of taking the antenna off of mine, the theory being that only white noise and spirit voices will be captured. Has anyone tried this?
My Signature

"What Scares You, Masters You."

-UNKNOWN-

#9 zara1269

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:37 AM

So is the PSB7 detuned then? I love mine and have had good luck with it thus far. I thought about taking the antenna out as I never have it extended but I see on Ghost Adventures that they always have the antenna extended. at our last 7nvestigation we were using the spirit box and often when we got a response we saw an emf spike.

The thought that it can be used as a beacon is intriguing. One more reason I vow to never use it in my not haunted house. It would be a good experiment though....

#10 Roxstar

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, ghost and after life research, family, music, science, video games. I am mostly into EVP but also love to use spirit boxes and other forms of communication. It's a true passion of mine, more than a hobby.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

I took the antenna out and voila, very minimal sounds/radio station feedback coming through. I can't wait to try it out. I also looked into what "detuned" means, apparently it's just a modification that directs less power to the a.m. band on the box (mine is f.m. only) so it doesn't pick up weaker a.m. stations.

Edited by Roxstar, 10 March 2014 - 06:35 AM.

My Signature

"What Scares You, Masters You."

-UNKNOWN-

#11 H4yW00d

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:I like spending time with family and friends, the ocean, anything outdoors, roller coasters, holidays (especially Halloween), and anything paranormal

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

This is all very interesting, was just talking about spirit boxes with my daughter last night.

Edited by H4yW00d, 19 July 2014 - 04:48 PM.

My Signature

Posted Image

#12 DoverParanormal

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

Before I get into my experiences with the SP7 I would like to ask a few questions. I see a lot of speculation here on how the SP7 works, what are these hypotheses based on? Is it a personal belief? Tribal Knowledge? or were there actual scientific tests done? and if so where are the scientific papers, I would love to read them.
I have done many, many tests on the spirit box. The interesting thing is that if you shield the device from all radio waves you get nothing for hours on end.....nothing. As soon as the device is removed, you hear words every several seconds.  What does that tell you? also I did some test on the hypothesis that the spirits use radio waves to communicate. So besides the AM/FM bands I also tried UHF/VHF bands that are no longer used by TV stations. The same results, nothing...not a peep, not a chirp, nothing.
The fundamental problem with the spirit box, this device could very well communicate with the afterlife, I will never say it cant...but, how do you tell the difference between spirits and radio broadcast? there is no on/off switch for that.

#13 CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

If the device is scanning frequencies at 100ms apart and you get a response that spans a broad bandwidth, it can hardly be all from 1 station/frequency.
My Signature

#14 DoverParanormal

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

Again....how can you tell what is radio broadcast and something paranormal? My thinking is that if there is even the slightest possibility that what we are hearing is indeed radio broadcast...then you have to dismiss the results. That is why I shielded the device for my tests. If something paranormal is truly going on, then it should happen when the unwanted radio waves are blocked, correct? That was not the case. believe me I would love nothing more than a device like this to work, but there are too many variables that people ignore. This is not science, this is speculation. Dont get me wrong, we have to start somewhere....but when speculation takes precedence over fact...this is a fundamental problem. In my opinion.

#15 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:02 PM

To my knowledge there is no scientific "proof" of anything "paranormal" so you can never say something is paranormal atleast not until you can prove whatever phenomena is beyond all known scientific understanding which is a tad difficult. However, with spirit boxes and pretty much all devices used to capture potentially paranormal phenomena it's up to the investigator and those viewing the evidence to decide for themselves if something is paranormal or not. Some people are more willing to believe than others which is fine ... that's just the nature of people :)

Personally I like the spirit box concept and even made a couple but have never captured anything I'd label as definitively paranormal :no:

That said, I can disable the antenna and put the thing in a foil box and it wont make a sound for hours like you mentioned. So if I happen to be using this protocol and am asking questions and getting responses then I think that's a good indication of some form of paranormal communication :yes:

So far though nothing :(
My Signature
- siguie -

#16 DoverParanormal

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:04 AM

I agree with what you said, so far nothing has been proven to be paranormal, but we can use our knowledge of technology to dismiss unreasonable claims based on what we believe the paranormal to be.
This is a good thread.

#17 CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:51 AM

View PostDoverParanormal, on 10 January 2015 - 11:06 AM, said:

Again....how can you tell what is radio broadcast and something paranormal? My thinking is that if there is even the slightest possibility that what we are hearing is indeed radio broadcast...then you have to dismiss the results. That is why I shielded the device for my tests. If something paranormal is truly going on, then it should happen when the unwanted radio waves are blocked, correct? That was not the case. believe me I would love nothing more than a device like this to work, but there are too many variables that people ignore. This is not science, this is speculation. Dont get me wrong, we have to start somewhere....but when speculation takes precedence over fact...this is a fundamental problem. In my opinion.

What did you use to shield the device specifically? Perhaps I will duplicate your test/experiment and we can compare results. I was thinking of using a microwave, short of making a Faraday cage.
My Signature

#18 DoverParanormal

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

You can use any conductive screen or mesh where the holes are smaller than the wavelength(which in this case regular aluminum screen works fine), I used it to encase the radio, then you have to place that in a conductive enclosure, like a metal box, and then ground it. I sat the radio on a towel so it didn't come in contact with the box. If you have walkie talkies you can use them to test the enclosure since the radio waves will be much stronger, the wavelengths are not the same, but it will let you know if it is working or not. chances are it will not block all of the signal due to its proximity. Let me know how it works out for you.
As far as a microwave is concerned I don't know if it will work or not, I never tried it....or even thought of it.

Here is a video of someone else who did a similar test, I think they were disappointed that they realised their ghost box did nothing when shielded....     https://www.youtube....h?v=ji7J05v1HuA

Edited by DoverParanormal, 12 January 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#19 wackiejackie

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:13 PM

i personally wouldve thought residule comes through aswell tbh

#20 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

I'm not a fan of these devices. How is a spirit going to know how to manipulate these to make words? Is there a training class on the other side? ;)    I see them used on Ghost Adventures and cringe, they get random words and really stretch to make them fit to their situation.   "Look! It says flowers!  Are you trying to tell us you want flowers?"  etc    EVP's are (IMO) a much better way to communicate.
My Signature
Posted Image

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com