• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Holly630

Holly630

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

Ok... I realize how crazy this is going to sound, but I feel there is no better place to talk about it than here. This is my first post, so I'll give a bit of a backstory.

I live with/take care of my grandmother who was diagnosed with dementia about 7 years ago. I moved in almost 2 years ago and I have seen an absolute drastic change in her over the course of the last couple of months. My sister is an RN and my cousin is a home health aid - both of which have worked with MANY dementia patients in their careers and have both agree that she is the worst case they have ever seen. Neither are exactly convinced that she is in fact demented.

I'm 31 now, but I can remember staying over here when I was a kid and always hearing weird sounds in the middle of the night. I never felt threatened or frightened by any of it, but always kind of figured we weren't alone here. My great grandparents both died in this house (my great grandfather passed from a heart attack in the back yard before I was born and my great grandmother died in her bed ((which was in the bedroom I use now)) from cancer when I was 8.), so I just assumed they were looming around. My opinion of that has changed recently. My grandmother was the absolute nicest woman when she was in her right mind. Everyone knew her, everyone loved her. She wouldn't hurt a fly and she never had anything bad to say about anybody. That couldn't be further from the truth now. If she is awake (which is on average about 22 hours a day), she is rotten. The vulgarities that come out of her mouth are appalling. And I've noticed over the last few weeks that her voice seems to change when she says certain things. I don't want to say "demonic", but she gets this nasty look on her face and deepens her voice. It's really very disturbing.

So anyway, since she almost NEVER stays in bed at night, I have cameras set up throughout the house so the motion sensor will send an alert to my cell phone, in the event that I don't hear her get up. I don't pay for the subscription to them, so the cameras downstairs will only save still images every few minutes, rather than any video feed. In the morning I usually look through them to make sure she wasn't up in the middle of the night without my knowledge. About a month ago I noticed a very blatant apparition in the doorway from the kitchen to the dining room. The frame is about 8 ft tall and the top of the entity is barely a foot below the top of the frame, so even if it were my grandmother and she was downstairs (which I don't believe she was, because she isn't in any other shots and the camera never sensed any motion that night), something had to have been lifting her up, because she is only about 4'10". Ever since then, she has been BEYOND crazy - Having full conversations with "no one", telling us her mother is going to come and kill us and she can't wait, making ZERO sense but sounds as if she's speaking another language... the list goes on. Another thing to point out is that when she isn't home, she's a totally different person. It is always a huge fight trying to get her out of the house, but once she is out - it's almost as if she's her old self. No nastiness, no creepy voice, no cursing, no name calling, no screaming.
About a week ago she had her 3 month check up and I told her doctor about it and said "At the risk of sounding completely crazy, I honestly think she is possessed". The doctor, bless her heart, appeased my craziness and said it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the house blessed. Well, we haven't yet - but it is definitely time we do!...

That brings me to Monday night. I don't sleep while I am here with her. I stay awake all night until help comes in at 11am. So Monday night I was sitting in my chair in my bedroom, just looking at social media and Pinterest on my phone. AC was turned off, TV was off, no music was on - complete silence. The hallway camera (which does record 10 second videos every time there is motion detected) never went off. I got up to use the bathroom around 1:30am and there was a chair from the dining room table in front of my door. It scared the hell out me because 1) I didn't expect it to be there and 2) and I didn't hear a thing! I walked into the hallway and immediately got an alert on my phone from the camera (so I know it was working). I checked my grandmother's room and she wasn't there. Usually when she goes downstairs in the middle of the night she turns on every single light. That's a thing with those with dementia - they hate darkness. Welp! I went downstairs and it was pitch black. I leave the TV on but muted every night and I leave a small light on in the kitchen. Everything was turned off and I could hear my grandmother talking low, but I couldn't even see where she was. So I said "Nana? Where are you?" and she said "Is she talking to you? Where is she? I bet she's by that table again"... I turned on the dining room light and in the kitchen my grandmother was standing, facing the front door(it was closed) and the kitchen table, which is a solid piece of glass and heavy as hell, was moved about 4ft across the room. My entire body went numb. I asked her what she was doing and she wouldn't even look at me for a good 30-45 seconds. When she finally looked at me her face just seemed... blank. I finally corralled her and got her upstairs and back into bed.

There is NO way that my tiny 4'10" 110lb grandmother carried a heavy dining room chair up 16 steps (which are tile with metal trim), down the hallway and placed it in front of my bedroom door without me hearing it. And there is REALLY no way that she moved that kitchen table. And the cameras caught NOTHING!

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws to try to convince myself that it isn't dementia and maybe it's just evil spirits making her this way, but no one I've talked to has ever heard of anyone with her condition acting like this. I'd love some insight and opinions!

#2 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:10 AM

Hello and welcome to the boards.

I too am an RN and Alzheimer's is a debilitating, ageing-related neurodegenerative disease. Unfortunately, it is a disorder that progressively gets worse over time and drastic personality loss occurs. I can not say why or if your Nan would be able to move heavy furniture around the house either, especially without you knowing about it!

I think if you are worried about your Nan it wouldn't hurt if you got your house blessed; It might even give you some peace of mind. There are things you could try yourself but I feel you all have enough on your hands looking after your Nan. You, your sister, and cousin are great supporting your Nan through this disease :)
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,721 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:37 AM

Hi Holly... and welcome to our community!  :)

As I read your story, the first question that came to my mind was, how does your grandmother do when she's away from home? And I was glad to see that you covered that. And so we now know that she is almost herself when away, at least not the horrible person she exhibits at home lately, right?. So we definitely need to explore that more. And it wouldn't hurt to keep notes (a log) on every adventure away from the house. Can't really base much over just a few trips away.

So just out of curiosity, what if things began to get progressively worse in the home over time? How much red tape would there be to relocate her? I personally don't think it would ever come to that... but it's practical to always have a plan, right?

Are you religious at all? There are a few ways to approach this if it were deemed a haunting or something even much more advanced. But it would be nice to know if religious practices would be a consideration?

A few more questions:
1. Are the other care givers and family members seeing her changes over the last few months the same as you are seeing them?
2. With dementia, is it at all possible over s long span of time for the patent to exhibit these same or similar harsh symptoms?
3. The apparition/entity you saw in the house... was it black? gray? white? .......And what was it's shape? ..........Did you feel threatened?

I do have to wonder if your Grandmother is only getting two hours of sleep a night, that would be sleep deprivation. And wouldn't that have to be at least a consideration for her current symptoms? Are sleep medications not working for her?

I must say... the moving of heavy furniture is a true mystery. I would suggest you log all strange events in the home and note the date and time.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to better understand the situation.  :)
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#4 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:06 AM

Here are some symptoms of Dementia.

People may experience:

Early dementia symptoms and signs
  • Word-finding difficulty: Maybe able to compensate by using synonyms or defining the word
  • Forgetting names, appointments, or whether or not the person has done something; losing things
  • Difficulty performing familiar tasks: Driving, cooking a meal, household chores, managing personal finances
  • Personality changes (for example, sociable person becomes withdrawn, or a quiet person is coarse and silly)
  • Uncharacteristic behavior
  • Mood swings, often with brief periods of anger or rage
  • Poor judgment
  • Behavior disorders: Paranoia and suspiciousness
  • Decline in level of functioning but able to follow established routines at home
  • Confusion, disorientation in unfamiliar surroundings: May wander, trying to return to familiar surroundings
  • Difficulty or inability to multitask
What are intermediate signs and symptoms of dementia?
  • Worsening of symptoms seen in early dementia, with less ability to compensate
  • Unable to carry out activities of daily living (for example, bathing, dressing, grooming, feeding, using the toilet) without help
  • Disrupted sleep (often napping in the daytime, up at night)
  • Unable to learn new information
  • Increasing disorientation and confusion even in familiar surroundings
  • Greater risk of falls and accidents due to poor judgment and confusion
  • Behavior disorders: Paranoid delusions, aggressiveness, agitation, inappropriate sexual behavior
  • Hallucinations
  • Confabulation (in conversation, filling in memory gaps with false information)
  • Inattention, poor concentration, loss of interest in the outside world
  • Abnormal moods (anxiety, depression)
What are the signs and symptoms of late or severe dementia?
  • Worsening of symptoms seen in early and intermediate dementia
  • Complete dependence on others for activities of daily living
  • May be unable to walk or move from place to place unassisted
  • Impairment of other movements such as swallowing: Increases risk of malnutrition, choking, and aspiration (inhaling foods and beverages, saliva, or mucus into lungs)
  • Complete loss of short- and long-term memory: May be unable to recognize even close relatives and friends
  • Complications: Dehydration, malnutrition, problems with bladder control, infections, aspiration, seizures, pressure sores, injuries from accidents or falls
The person may not be aware of these problems, especially the behavior problems. This is especially true in the later stages of dementia.
Depression in elderly people can cause dementia-like symptoms. About 40% of people with dementia are also depressed. Common symptoms of depression include depressed mood, loss of interest in activities once enjoyed, withdrawal from others, sleep disturbances, weight gain or loss, suicidal thoughts, feelings of worthlessness, and loss of ability to think clearly or concentrate.
People with irreversible or untreated dementia present a slow, gradual decline in mental functions and movements over several years. Total dependence and death, often from infection, are the last stages.

When to seek medical care if you think you or someone you know may have dementia?

A person affected with dementia may not be aware he or she has a problem. Most people with dementia are brought to medical attention by a caring relative or friend. Any of the following warrant a visit to the person's health care professional.
  • Marked loss of short-term memory
  • Behavior or personality changes
  • Inappropriate or uncharacteristic behavior
  • Depressed mood
  • Marked mood swings
  • Inability to carry out daily tasks such as bathing, dressing, feeding, using the toilet, or household chores
  • Carelessness in personal hygiene
  • Persistent word-finding difficulties
  • Persistent or frequent poor judgment
  • Persistent or frequent confusion or disorientation, especially in familiar situations
  • Inability to manage personal finances

Source

Edited by MacCionoadha BeanSidhe, 23 August 2017 - 03:09 AM.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#5 lorac61469

lorac61469

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:02 AM

I replied to you thread on another message board but I'll reply here as well....

Welcome!

I too am dealing with a family member with dementia. It can be extremely difficult.

The vulgarities are a common behavior problem in dementia.

Strange sounds, shrieking and wailing can be common too.

Take a look here...

https://www.alzconne...g=posts&t=27552

Apparently pushing furniture does happen.

#6 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

My step mom developed dementia.  Before she was a very timid kind woman.  When it progressed she became like a hound from hell.  She was nice to my brother but took everything out on me.  Her face looked "possessed" and she talked to me like a dog.  She was horrible, but I had to remember it was the disease, not her.

Psychically I do not feel there is a possession going on with your grandmother and I do think she managed to move the chair and table. Those that look frail can do some freaky things and have strength.

Try to relax and jut love her.  Things continually get worse and it is hard to watch a loved one slip into madness.  Blessings to you.

Amethyst
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#7 Holly630

Holly630

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 23 August 2017 - 02:37 AM, said:

Hi Holly... and welcome to our community!  :)

As I read your story, the first question that came to my mind was, how does your grandmother do when she's away from home? And I was glad to see that you covered that. And so we now know that she is almost herself when away, at least not the horrible person she exhibits at home lately, right?. So we definitely need to explore that more.

Yes, everyone has noticed the drastic change over the last couple of weeks. Also, without me sharing these two particular incidences with them, they have all, at one point or another, told me about hearing footsteps or doors slamming while they were here.

Her behavior, as far as the nastiness, can be common with dementia patiences. So can moving and rearranging furniture, but even I would struggle with moving that kitchen table. It's too large for anyone to lift and move, so she had to have pushed it. And then I would have heard it moving across the floor. I can hear every step taken and every word spoken downstairs when I am in my bedroom. I heard NOTHING this night.

I'm going to try to post a picture of the "entity". Maybe the furniture being moved can be explained, but as far this - I have no logical explanation for it.

https://www.flickr.c...2441@N02/Fz55Bv

Posted Image

#8 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,721 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Holly... as for the picture, how did you happen to catch the figure on camera?
Posted Image

#9 Holly630

Holly630

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 23 August 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

Thanks Holly... as for the picture, how did you happen to catch the figure on camera?

The camera automatically saves still images from the feed every few minutes and I look over them in the morning, just to see if she was downstairs in the middle of the night without me knowing.

#10 lorac61469

lorac61469

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

Does there happen to be a light on in the other room? It looks like it to me.
Anyhow I wonder if some how the light caused some type of glare or shadow.

#11 Holly630

Holly630

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

View Postlorac61469, on 23 August 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

Does there happen to be a light on in the other room? It looks like it to me.
Anyhow I wonder if some how the light caused some type of glare or shadow.

There is a small lamp on at the bottom of the steps. I thought the same - maybe it just casted a shadow. But it seems too... dense? I'm not sure.

#12 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,721 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

Holly... does this figure match the one you saw a few months ago? I must say, that's a pretty significant event for you not to have mentioned it in your summary. But if that's what we think we are seeing, it's impressive.
Posted Image

#13 Holly630

Holly630

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 23 August 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

Holly... does this figure match the one you saw a few months ago? I must say, that's a pretty significant event for you not to have mentioned it in your summary. But if that's what we think we are seeing, it's impressive.

Yeah, that's the entity I was talking about.

#14 lorac61469

lorac61469

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

Here's the thing , if the camera takes photos every few minutes don't you think it's possible you just captured a photo of her?  Maybe it's just a combination of low light and motion blur.

Maybe you need to get it set up to record videos, for your peace of mind.

#15 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,721 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:32 PM

Holly... does your grandmother typically wear a long nightgown or robe when wondering through the house? If not, what does she typically wear?

And lastly, was the apparition/figure you witnessed wearing a long gown?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Holly630

Holly630

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

View Postlorac61469, on 23 August 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

Here's the thing , if the camera takes photos every few minutes don't you think it's possible you just captured a photo of her?  Maybe it's just a combination of low light and motion blur.

Maybe you need to get it set up to record videos, for your peace of mind.

I wish! But the subscription is something ridiculous, like $50/month and even then it doesn't give you a full 24 hour of recorded video. I may just set up a go-pro downstairs and use that for capturing video

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 23 August 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

Holly... does your grandmother typically wear a long nightgown or robe when wondering through the house? If not, what does she typically wear?

Posted Image

No, she actually refuses to. She used to, always, but over the last few years she will not put on a nightgown.

#17 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 23 August 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

Posted Image

That is exactly what I thought Jim. It does look like a small woman dress similar to this in the image. Would your Nan wear a dressing gown?
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#18 Holly630

Holly630

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 23 August 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

That is exactly what I thought Jim. It does look like a small woman dress similar to this in the image. Would your Nan wear a dressing gown?

Nope. She used to wear them all the time for bed, but now she refuses.

#19 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,721 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:21 PM

Holly... is there a place that your grandmother could go for a week, or relatives she could stay with for that period of time? I'm just thinking, at some point in time it would be interesting to see how she would react to being away. I say that because we still need to rule out the house as being a contributor to her recent aggressiveness and rage.

Has she ever had sleeping medication? And if so, how did that work in the past? I'm thinking it might help relieve some of the tension with her current situation.

I've also been considering how all of this might relate to a paranormal situation. Considering the tension, health issues, lack of sleep, etc, could leave her open for attack. So in my opinion we need to at least consider that possibility. That's why I'm thinking a week away might help with this puzzle. And considering the fact that a figure was witnessed at the time that the harsh aggression intensified adds to the paranormal angle. So let's not take a paranormal episode off the table yet.  ;)
Posted Image

#20 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,721 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:40 PM

Holly's photo captured with security camera

Reduced in size
Posted Image

slightly enhanced and enlarged
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users