• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,641 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 26 August 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

My wife uses Trazodone. It does work, I'll take one every now and then. Still, no matter what I take at bedtime (11PM-ish) I always start waking up 6 am and toss and turn. If only I could sleep til 9 or so...

Vlawde, I'm glad the Trazodone works for your wife. Does she take 150 MG or less?
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#42 Tarinya

Tarinya

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

Although my Uncle had cancer and not dementia, he did a lot of similar stuff. He would get up at night and move all the furniture around. He'd get confused about what rooms were for what and leave dirty dishes in the laundry or bedrooms, call us by the wrong names, talk about things that made no sense to the rest of us. Unfortunately, the human brain is largely a mystery and when it's being attacked by disease of any kind it takes a toll not just on the person suffering from that disease but the people around them.
If you want video camera's to keep an eye on her, you can get a set of camera's relatively cheap. We had some for outside. No monthly service attached, just the camera's hooked up and there was a phone app you could watch them on. It would take a screen shot if there was movement.

#43 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:52 PM

Here's a link to a set of video cams on Amazon pictured below... a set of four for only $114. Click Here
But from what Holly mentioned in her first post... she has a similar set already.

Posted Image

Personally, I'm more concerned with the appearance captured on cam than I am with any newly acquired behaviors.

It also have been wondering why she seems fine (not angry or hostile) away from the home but not in the home. I have to wonder if there's some connection to the house.

And having a conversation with just her in the room is a bit of an alert as well. Could be her advanced condition or it could be a negative visitor. I like to consider both sides of things just so nothing is missed.
Posted Image

#44 Holly630

Holly630

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:36 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 27 August 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

Here's a link to a set of video cams on Amazon pictured below... a set of four for only $114. Click Here
But from what Holly mentioned in her first post... she has a similar set already.

Posted Image

Personally, I'm more concerned with the appearance captured on cam than I am with any newly acquired behaviors.

It also have been wondering why she seems fine (not angry or hostile) away from the home but not in the home. I have to wonder if there's some connection to the house.

And having a conversation with just her in the room is a bit of an alert as well. Could be her advanced condition or it could be a negative visitor. I like to consider both sides of things just so nothing is missed.

The conversations with herself are almost constant, especially at night. And something I've noticed... When she's trying to talk to us "normally" she makes NO sense. It's just mumbling and made up words. But when she's really nasty and insulting or threatening us, she makes perfect sense. Clear as day, but in a rotten, evil voice she said "YOU'RE ASKING FOR IT, YOU FAT SLOB! YOU'RE GONNA GET IT!" (I have video of this but want to keep her anonymity and have NO experience with video editing to blur her face.) That is the ONLY time she speaks words clearly and correctly. It's so bizarre!

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 26 August 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

My wife uses Trazodone. It does work, I'll take one every now and then. Still, no matter what I take at bedtime (11PM-ish) I always start waking up 6 am and toss and turn. If only I could sleep til 9 or so...

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 26 August 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

Has she ever tried Trazodone for sleep? ......It's great for insomnia, depression and anxiety. Many take it for insomnia with excellent results. And it's low on side effects.
It would need to be prescribed by a doctor.

As for the tenseness you feel in the hallway, would you consider pausing at that point in the hall and try to dissect your feelings? What are you feeling when you pause? nervous, scared, worried, anxious? If you take some time, you might even be able to feel the reason for the fear. And that could be revealing. But either way, you need to face that fear and not race past that area of the house... at least not until you analyse your feelings.

Yes, we have tried Trazodone. It did nothing.

When I tense up in the hallway at night I guess it's mostly an anxious feeling. I feel like there's something behind me and I have to quickly get down the hallway.

#45 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:29 PM

It sounds like you all are really doing a great job with your Nan. Could you at all change the time around while you are looking after her so you aren't getting all the nights? I know you said you have looked into respite for your Nan, it is unfortunate that you can't get some block time off away from her :(

I would be tense too if the hallway was dark and I was feeling there was something in the house or affecting your Nan!
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#46 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:18 AM

View PostHolly630, on 28 August 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

The conversations with herself are almost constant, especially at night. And something I've noticed... When she's trying to talk to us "normally" she makes NO sense. It's just mumbling and made up words. But when she's really nasty and insulting or threatening us, she makes perfect sense. Clear as day, but in a rotten, evil voice she said "YOU'RE ASKING FOR IT, YOU FAT SLOB! YOU'RE GONNA GET IT!" (I have video of this but want to keep her anonymity and have NO experience with video editing to blur her face.) That is the ONLY time she speaks words clearly and correctly. It's so bizarre!

Well to me, it is a concern when she only mumbles her words and talks nonsense. But then can suddenly speak clearly and correctly when she lashes out in a vile threatening behavior. One would have to at least wonder if there is some form of possession. So I guess we should do some research into the possibility of this simply being part of her condition in the late stages or not.

Holly, can you send me the video file? I would really like to take a look. I could do the editing and blur out a face or faces. And if you could also send a clip where she typically mumbles as well. It would make a great study in my research. No one else would see it without your permission.

As for sleep medications, it doesn't sound like any sleep meds are going to work for her... and that's especially concerning.

In the hallway.... I still suggest you hold your ground.  ;)
Posted Image

#47 Holly630

Holly630

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:30 AM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 29 August 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

Well to me, it is a concern when she only mumbles her words and talks nonsense. But then can suddenly speak clearly and correctly when she lashes out in a vile threatening behavior. One would have to at least wonder if there is some form of possession. So I guess we should do some research into the possibility of this simply being part of her condition in the late stages or not.

Holly, can you send me the video file? I would really like to take a look. I could do the editing and blur out a face or faces. And if you could also send a clip where she typically mumbles as well. It would make a great study in my research. No one else would see it without your permission.

As for sleep medications, it doesn't sound like any sleep meds are going to work for her... and that's especially concerning.

In the hallway.... I still suggest you hold your ground.  ;)

I can do that. Let me get a video of her mumbling and then I'll send you both of them.

#48 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

Cool... thanks, Holly.  B) ......... and no rush.
Posted Image

#49 Holly630

Holly630

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:14 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 29 August 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

Cool... thanks, Holly.  B) ......... and no rush.

Might not get that video for ya. Nana took a bad fall out of bed tonight. Not sure if she got out of bed and then fell or if she rolled over and fell out of bed, but she definitely broke her nose and is bruised up. It may be time for assisted living - although I'm not sure anywhere around here will take her with how she is, unless it is a state hospital in a psych unit :-\ I'm worried.

#50 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

No worries about the video, Holly.... or just send the one you already have, if you want.

I hope she recovers quickly.  :ermm:  
Posted Image

#51 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

Poor nan, hope she's feeling better soon
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#52 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:09 PM

Yes, sounds like it might be time to consider placement in a high-level residential care facility. They are 24-hour facilities that are used to looking after people like your Nan. There are also Dementia-specific units if the client's safety or care can't be accommodated in the general facilities. In Australia, we have an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) to will assess and approve complex aged care needs. Maybe google and see what's around your area or ask your Nan's doctor.  I wish you, your Nan and family all the best.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#53 spineofsnake

spineofsnake

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:43 PM

Aww. I read through the initial post and sadly, all the "strange" behaviors you are seeing from your grandmother are common symptoms of dementia. I will admit the photo is strange, although I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing there. I think you're doing a great job caring for your grandmother and she's lucky to have you. I also agree you should have the house blessed, if only for your own peace of mind. There's a possibility of a spiritual issue here but I think the bulk of what you're seeing is her illness :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users