• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 crystal

crystal

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, supernatural, reading, music, writing, drawing =)

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:02 AM

Okay.... so I need some advice on this.  I absolutely DESPISE the smell of cigarette smoke.  It makes me sneeze and cough and my throat gets really sore.  All of my stuff smells like smoke because my downstairs neighbor smokes like a chimney.

I can't stand this!  I have 9 months left on this lease and breaking my lease is not an option.  What can I do???  Anything?
To die will be an awfully big adventure.
J.M. BARRIE, Peter Pan

#2 OffDutyCop

OffDutyCop

Paranormal Law Enforcer

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Research and Investigation, Military History, Law Enforcement History, Irish and Irish-American History, Naval and Martime History, Writing, Video Gaming

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE(crystal @ Oct 17 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay.... so I need some advice on this.  I absolutely DESPISE the smell of cigarette smoke.  It makes me sneeze and cough and my throat gets really sore.  All of my stuff smells like smoke because my downstairs neighbor smokes like a chimney.

I can't stand this!  I have 9 months left on this lease and breaking my lease is not an option.  What can I do???  Anything?

Is there anything in your lease about smoking in the apartments?

If there's a rule against it, maybe you could mention something to the landlord.

I don't think talking to the neighbor directly is going to help matters.
"In each of us, there are two sides at war....the good and the evil. The fight rages between them all of our lives, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be, we are. " ---Dr. Henry Jekyll

#3 crystal

crystal

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

No, talking to my neighbor isn't an option... he's not friendly.  And we are allowed to smoke here.... unfortunately.

Edited by crystal, 17 October 2009 - 07:17 AM.

J.M. BARRIE, Peter Pan

#4 xjadedx

xjadedx

Baby Girl

• GS Member
  • 7,709 posts
  • Interests:anything paranormal, cooking, beer, celtic culture and art, irish step dancing, constellations, backpacking, anything to do with cheese

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:45 AM

One of my clients has the same problem, and she finds putting Bounce sheets (dryer sheets) in her vents helps filter the smell out.

xjadedx

"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on." --Led Zepplin

#5 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:47 AM

Hi Crystal,

Since I do not know the exact sitiuation with your apartment, I will give you both barrels from the "advice shotgun."  just disregard anything that misses the target. smile.gif

Maybe febreeze everything? Or get one of those air purifier gizmos that is supposed to remove smoke from the air? (I am not sure how well they work)

Do you have any idea how the smoke smell is getting into your apartment?  Is it general seepage?  It might be possible to reduce it by doing some caulking around the baseboards, stuffing insulation into the outlet cavities & things like that.  It depends how handy you are and what your lease says.

You may want to talk to your landlord, explain the problem and how much it is bothering you, and ask them to move you to another unit if they can.  If you are nice & and friendly about it, they may work with you on this.

Sounds like a tough situation, you may just have to ride it out.

Best of luck, Canis

#6 ectomist

ectomist

Train Wreck Conductor

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Horses, ghosts and more.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

Im a smoker but I only smoke in my office down in the basement. I DO NOT smoke upstairs. I actually hate the smell of smoke too. Strange isnt it. Anyway I use dryer sheets under all my throw rugs, couch cushions and anywhere I can stuff them with out people seeing them. I also clean with all the same scent as my dryer sheets. Here everything has "spring' scent to it. Floor cleaner, bathroom, laundry, dry sheets, ferbreeze etc.... No one would know Im a smoker. (Pack a day.) Im not just saying that my parents think I dont smoke in my house, one of my good friends doesnt smoke and he always comments on my house not smelling like smoke.

Good luck to you.
One must but open their eyes, to see what it right in front of them.

#7 crystal

crystal

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:13 AM

Thanks guys, I've used the dryer sheet idea, but the smell is just too strong for me.  I'm very sensitive to smell apparently... when something has a strong artificial scent to it, it makes my nose burn sad.gif  

I'll keep trying...
J.M. BARRIE, Peter Pan

#8 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, art, scrapbooking, listening to loud music, reading, photography, writing, are you still reading this? Seriously?

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:51 AM

I purchased an inexpensive hepa air cleaner, these things are awesome!  We have numerous allergies around here, and these help alot!  

It's a Honeywell Permanent Hepa Filter model.  You never have to change the filter, just vacuum whenever the indicator light goes on.  I ordered mine from Amazon, actually.  

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HHT-011-Co...5791&sr=8-2

I would recommend putting it right by your bed at night, I really think it will help!
Life's a match in a gas tank, don't ever mourn the ebbing tide, just dance on fire and enjoy the ride.

#9 GillGal

GillGal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:56 AM

Talk to your landlord. Maybe they can relocate your apartment to another one for the remainder of your lease. BTW my apartment just became vacant it's a 1 bedroom 1 bath on the top floor...if your interested! lol!
"Success is always temporary. When all is said and done, the only thing you'll have left is your character." Vince Gill

#10 ectomist

ectomist

Train Wreck Conductor

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Horses, ghosts and more.

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

How about baking soda. You can vaccum with it and maybe you can put in just inside your vents. Or in a pretty bowl or something near the vents.
One must but open their eyes, to see what it right in front of them.

#11 dorthyinwonder

dorthyinwonder

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Interests:Love my niece and nephew as though they were my own (might as well be) and would do anything for them. Well, just about anything.

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

I heard that putting dryer sheets in the vent with your air filter is another idea...although I don't completely know...

#12 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:37 AM

I would go to my family doctor and explain the situation and see if the doctor can write you a note to give to the landlord stating you are allergic to smoke and that you cannot be exposed to cigarette smoke.  That may get you out of the lease for medical reasons.

I have this problem when my granddaughter goes to visit the "Incubator".  She comes home hacking and coughing and then I have to deal with a sick child.  I have even called my social worker and b**ched about it, but he's a smoker.  Her clothes and hair reek of smoke and I wash her hair and give her a bath the moment she comes home.  what the heck is wrong with people that they smoke around a kid?  If they are adult enough to smoke then they should be respectful and/or smart enough not to smoke around innocent kids.  She KNOWS the baby suffers and still does it.  That's child abuse right there.  That baby came to live with me having to use an inhaler!  In 20 months she has only been to the doctor once for being sick, and that was a few weeks ago after being exposed to that d@mn smoke.  I think the new boyfriend smokes in the house.  fighting0072.gif

As a former smoker, I am one of the worst ppl now to be around smoke.  It gags me.  My downstairs neighbor chain smokes.  Thank God she is on the other side of the building and not directly under me.  The hallway reeks of smoke when you walk into the building.  She is sick as a dog right now with a chest cold but she called and begged me to go to the store and buy cigarettes for her.  Go figure. Picture 562.gif

That stench gets into everything and it's hard to get out.  I would see if you could get a medical note.  That would be hard to deny if your doctor says it's a health hazard for you to live there.  The landlord would have to be a slum lord not to let you break the lease.

I would even call legal aid and ask them if you have any options.  You should not have to be exposed to that.

Good luck!

Ame
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#13 nothing lasts forever

nothing lasts forever

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:42 AM

A few years ago, I shared an apartment with a smoker, i'm also a smoker but my ex wasn't, befor we moved in we all agreed that noone would smoke inside. Well soon after we moved in, the roommate started smoking inside, it cause a ton of issues and I ended up talking to the landlord. Due to the health problems second hand smoke can cause, we( me and my ex) were able to get out of the lease. I'm in Canada and I don't know if the laws are the same where you are, but if there is a health risk, you should be able to get out of there.

Good Luck with everything.
The key to freedom is to be able to have the ability to defend yourself, and if you dont have the tools to do that, then you're going to be at the mercy of whomever wants to put you away.

#14 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:50 AM

Hey Crystal, an article on MSN just caught my eye and made me think of your situation. It's about how to get out of various kinds of binding legal agreements and one of the things mentioned was getting out of an apartment lease. Though your issue wasn't one mentioned, there was something recommended which I thought would be good to pass on to you. Contact a tenants-rights organisation. There's loads of information if you Google 'tenants rights ohio'. They may be able to advise you on how best to handle things. In my opinion, if the smell is able to penetrate up to your apartment and cause you that much distress, then each apartment is probably not well sealed. I'd think that would fall under 'fit and habitable' housing, but I'm not knowledgable on the law.

#15 equus6

equus6

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:33 AM

It's funny that you posted this. My parents and my sister are going through the same thing. They live in two different apartments, but in the same complex. Both have neighbors that smoke, and all three are allergic to cigarette smoke. My sister has put a fan on her deck and has pointed it down to keep the smoke from coming up when she is outside. My parents just avoid the deck when their neighbor is outside. In January, the complex is adding a no smoking policy to the apartments. There will be designated buildings for smokers.
Don't worry about the people in your past. There is a reason they didn't make it to your future....

#16 crystal

crystal

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:36 PM

Thanks everyone!  I feel the love!!  

I will definitely look into that, Lady Sorbus, thank you!!
J.M. BARRIE, Peter Pan