Simply Unclassified

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:09 AM

I have not shared this story with many, as it is a tale that to this day continues to puzzle and defy logic.

One of my first jobs was in retail at a sports store back in the very early 1970’s. I managed to strike many friendships that waxed and waned as time passed with other employees and sometimes customers.

My department responsibility in the summer was in the camping department. I was the department manager and back then, the mentality was considerably different to how we treated our customers. We were not simply clerks but bona fide sales people. We tended to our customers; we knew our products and catered to our customer needs.

I developed a friendship with one customer who came in to buy a tent and he was impressed with my knowledge base. He recognized I was articulate and admired my passion to make the sale. In short order we were exchanging stories during an unhurried part of the day and became good friends.

During the summer months while college was inactive, he subsidized his income as a tour guide in Algonquin Park in northern Ontario. He led canoe trips hired for his skill in canoeing, backpacking, portaging for extended periods sometimes up to a month and he was highly sought because of his expertise.

Over the next couple of years, we would spend weekends together in Algonquin Park canoeing to some very obscure locations in this immense woodland area. He taught me the importance of hanging your food high in the trees to avoid confrontations with brown bear and other woodland creatures. I always felt safe around him and looked up to him as a true mentor in many areas of my life.

I kept insisting on making an effort to spend a couple of weeks there in hardcore mode. I really wanted to know what it was like when you were forced to push the envelope.

Finally, that time came including the interesting part to this long-winded story. We had traveled and portaged for several days and were at least 20 miles into the park where we first pushed the canoe into the water. I really wanted to camp overnight in a desolate, obscure and unique location and towards the end of the day we chose an island nestled deeply in the middle of a lake with one lone camping spot.

We landed and began unpacking, setting up our tent, making dinner over an open fire and enjoying the night air as the sun began to disappear. That particular day we had only seen one other canoe. We felt completely cut off from the outside world with a sense of what the pioneers must have experienced a century before.

We had just finished dinner when we heard something we had thought we heard many times before. We first thought it was bear because we could hear the snapping of tree limbs almost carving a fresh path like a bulldozer among the thickened forest but we soon realized, the distinct sounds associated were far from a bear.

We were camped in the middle of the island and the impossible was taking place. We heard the charging of an animal starting at one end of the island carving a path towards us with a deafening primal scream and then the acoustics indicated it had transgressed from the far right to the far left of the island all in a matter of 10 seconds. This was impossible. The timber, the underbrush, barely would support 10 feet of travel in that time because of the density.

To our far left ear to our far right ear with a blood curling scream within seconds. Out of my confusion, I looked over to my mentor bewildered. My friends face was softly lit by the roaring fire but his skin was flushed white and never had I seen fear in someone as I did then.

He looked at me, and said, we have to get off this island, RIGHT NOW. We scrambled towards the canoe and furiously almost with intent of saving our lives paddled out one hundred yards away from the island.

For the next 15 minutes we sat off shore listening to WW II as whatever was there seemingly moved within seconds from one end of the island to the other screaming, growling unlike we have ever heard and then all stopped.

Reluctantly we paddled back to our campsite. Hesitantly we left the canoe and walked back to our tent. Eventually we chose to stay and had no altercations over the course of the night.

My friend has long passed to alcoholism a decade ago but before we broke contact and I moved to the USA from Canada, we would revisit that event resonating as if it happened yesterday without any explanation and feeling a sense of fear as if it never left our bodies.

Sorry for my long story. I do not get creeped out but each time I tell that story I have to shake the feeling off.

Posted Image

Edited by EVP, 15 October 2017 - 03:43 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#2 KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:21 AM

Oh, that is spooky thanks for sharing it. I wonder what it was? I think I would have had to find another place to camp :confused0068:
My Signature
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:42 AM

Klainey, I cleaned my underwear out several times that hour. There was something terribly wrong with whatever it was.

Edited by EVP, 15 October 2017 - 03:45 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#4 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:24 AM

It sounds to me, you may have encountered a Sasquatch.
My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#5 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

View PostMacCionoadha BeanSidhe, on 15 October 2017 - 05:24 AM, said:

It sounds to me, you may have encountered a Sasquatch.

Mac I just did a little looking around and found this:

https://sasquatchchr...t-all-behavior/

It ws the first post that caught my attention. The behaviors this persons says they exhibit aligns to my encounter. I'm bone stupid about cryptoids and such. It's not my forté whatsoever. I'm going to dig deeper. Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

Edited by EVP, 15 October 2017 - 05:45 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#6 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:05 AM

You're welcome. I read and watch a lot of articles and shows about Bigfoot and Sasquatch. That was the first thing that came to mind, when I read your encounter.
My Signature

Posted Image

My Shop

#7 jwc

Orb

• GS Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

Interesting story. It sounds like Bigfoot to me. The wilderness is full of mystery. I lived in Arizona for many years, and it being hot during the day my friend and i would go for night time hikes in the Saguaro national Monument near my house. On one such hike we where walking through a large wash, ( a sort of dry bed of sand where water flows during monsoon season) we got to the point where the wash intersects with the road. As we crossed the road we saw something large a few yards down on the shoulder. It was large and black and was hunched over what appeared to be a dead deer. We watched it for a few seconds, it didn't seem aware of us, or it  was not concerned with our presents because it kept pawing at the dead deer, suddenly the lights of a car could be seen coming down the road, the creature took off into the desert at an amazing speed. Terrified and amazed we decided to walk the road the 2 miles home rather than going back into the desert.

#8 Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

Huh.

I don't like the woods..in the dark...or during the day.   I'm thinking you had better broaden your search...the first thing I thought of was "woodland spirits".  (Creation myths are so enticing to exam) aka Mac's Weindegoj (I can't remember how to spell it)

Scary!!  And you can laugh at me yet I would cringe to have to go into the woods....alone...at night in the dark.  YIKES!!
My Signature
Find an old place with history, with people and learn all its nuances.

#9 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Th

View Postjwc, on 15 October 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

Interesting story. It sounds like Bigfoot to me. The wilderness is full of mystery. I lived in Arizona for many years, and it being hot during the day my friend and i would go for night time hikes in the Saguaro national Monument near my house. On one such hike we where walking through a large wash, ( a sort of dry bed of sand where water flows during monsoon season) we got to the point where the wash intersects with the road. As we crossed the road we saw something large a few yards down on the shoulder. It was large and black and was hunched over what appeared to be a dead deer. We watched it for a few seconds, it didn't seem aware of us, or it  was not concerned with our presents because it kept pawing at the dead deer, suddenly the lights of a car could be seen coming down the road, the creature took off into the desert at an amazing speed. Terrified and amazed we decided to walk the road the 2 miles home rather than going back into the desert.

In its own odd way I am glad you had a similar account of the unexplained. I am a little envious that you physically saw something. II think for myself, without seeing what I was hearing just made it more of a fearing event. really liked your account jwc . Thank you for sharing.

Edited by EVP, 15 October 2017 - 01:57 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#10 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

View PostMenet, on 15 October 2017 - 08:13 AM, said:

Huh.

I don't like the woods..in the dark...or during the day.   I'm thinking you had better broaden your search...the first thing I thought of was "woodland spirits".  (Creation myths are so enticing to exam) aka Mac's Weindegoj (I can't remember how to spell it)

Scary!!  And you can laugh at me yet I would cringe to have to go into the woods....alone...at night in the dark.  YIKES!!

What can I saw Menet, I was an avid wilderness lover and my fear was typically never felt when I was in good company. Several times, while backpacking and camping I have had really close encounters with bears looking for food. I have been forced to beat pans with metal spoons loudly and yell to scare brown bear away, have been within feet of bobcats and lynx, but sometimes it is what you cannot see that will turn a brave man into a cowering child looking for a fetal position in the nearest corner :)

Edited by EVP, 15 October 2017 - 02:03 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#11 earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:31 PM

oh wow that's a terrifying experience! Did you keep an eye on the newspapers for any murders that happened on the island or anything else that might have caused the noise?
My Signature
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#12 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:40 AM

View PostearthlydelitesGStudy, on 15 October 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

oh wow that's a terrifying experience! Did you keep an eye on the newspapers for any murders that happened on the island or anything else that might have caused the noise?

I can't see much reporting in areas where you're lucky to just see a couple of people in one day. Again, this was very isolated and highly unpopulated. People were transient. Noone was allowed to live in the Provincial Park as such with exception of maybe Park Rangers.
My Signature
Posted Image

#13 KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:36 AM

View PostEVP, on 15 October 2017 - 03:42 AM, said:

Klainey, I cleaned my underwear out several times that hour. There was something terribly wrong with whatever it was.

I bet you did and I would have too :shocked:
My Signature
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#14 jwc

Orb

• GS Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:39 PM

View PostEVP, on 15 October 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

Th

In its own odd way I am glad you had a similar account of the unexplained. I am a little envious that you physically saw something. II think for myself, without seeing what I was hearing just made it more of a fearing event. really liked your account jwc . Thank you for sharing.
What ever i saw it was terrifying, I wish i could know what it was. I liked your story as well. i think it is always nice to know someone else had a strange experience , other wise you might think your crazy.

#15 True North

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

Bulldozing through thick bush at 'impossible' speeds while letting out angry-sounding or terrifying screams is pretty classic Sasquatch behavior when they really want to make their presence known, and want to show you just how powerful they are. It's a display and/or warning, much like other intimidating displays one predator will make to another - a way of establishing dominance or driving someone off without risking injury in unnecessary physical confrontations (even a small injury can significantly compromise a predator's ability to survive).

You guys backed off like any sane person would, and I'm guessing you left the next day. If you'd behaved in a manner that the source of all the noise interpreted as a 'challenge' though, things would likely have escalated.

Edited by True North, 19 October 2017 - 08:34 PM.

#16 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:59 PM

View PostTrue North, on 19 October 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

Bulldozing through thick bush at 'impossible' speeds while letting out angry-sounding or terrifying screams is pretty classic Sasquatch behavior when they really want to make their presence known, and want to show you just how powerful they are. It's a display and/or warning, much like other intimidating displays one predator will make to another - a way of establishing dominance or driving someone off without risking injury in unnecessary physical confrontations (even a small injury can significantly compromise a predator's ability to survive).

You guys backed off like any sane person would, and I'm guessing you left the next day. If you'd behaved in a manner that the source of all the noise interpreted as a 'challenge' though, things would likely have escalated.

Thank for your input True North. There is overwhelming support from those who replied here that I had a Sasquatch encounter. We would have left that night but leaving in the pitch dark forcing us to pack wasn't viable at the time. Looking back in retrospect I think it was a risky decision to stay. We did indeed leave the next morning and the entire night was peaceful but neither my friend nor myself slept with both eyes closed.

There seems to be a number of reports indicating Sasquatch encounter in Algonquin Park with a history. Mind you, every part of the world has similar accounts. I wonder or maybe I shouldn't, how it made a determination that we were not a threat and let us stay. In the back of my mind, it's also possible it swam back to the mainland after showing its display of dominance. Unfortunately, I will never know. I'm just glad I was able to tell this story 40 years later.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Edited by EVP, 19 October 2017 - 11:08 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#17 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

View PostEVP, on 19 October 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

Thank for your input True North. There is overwhelming support from those who replied here that I had a Sasquatch encounter. We would have left that night but leaving in the pitch dark forcing us to pack wasn't viable at the time. Looking back in retrospect I think it was a risky decision to stay. We did indeed leave the next morning and the entire night was peaceful but neither my friend nor myself slept with both eyes closed.

There seems to be a number of reports indicating Sasquatch encounter in Algonquin Park with a history. Mind you, every part of the world has similar accounts. I wonder or maybe I shouldn't, how it made a determination that we were not a threat and let us stay. In the back of my mind, it's also possible it swam back to the mainland after showing its display of dominance. Unfortunately, I will never know. I'm just glad I was able to tell this story 40 years later.

Thanks for your wisdom.

I think it realized you weren't a threat, because you both backed off, by taking the canoe and sitting off shore for a while. By doing that you showed that He was dominate..
My Signature

Posted Image

My Shop

#18 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

View PostMacCionoadha BeanSidhe, on 20 October 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

I think it realized you weren't a threat, because you both backed off, by taking the canoe and sitting off shore for a while. By doing that you showed that He was dominate..

Thanks Mac, that is definitely a possibility. We played the submissive role by leaving and it could be viewed as a non-threatening action. I'm still surprised it let us co habit the island overnight regardless.

Edited by EVP, 20 October 2017 - 06:37 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#19 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

With most creatures, when an individual shows submission, the Alpha generally ignores it. Unless, the submissive individual shows signs of assuming dominance, then there's a problem.
My Signature

Posted Image

My Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com