22 replies to this topic

#21 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

While I'm open to alternate universes and quantum physics explaining the "supernatural/paranormal/spiritual" I think the Mandela Effect is simply a product of psychology and people getting memories mixed up, scrambled or even fabricated.

The stuff about misheard Movie/TV quotes is due to pop-culture osmosis, everyone insisting that's what was actually said and people's memories being affected by that ('If tons of people think this, they can't be wrong, right? RIGHT?'). Often people will say "I remember saying hearing it", when, in fact, they're really remembering a spoof/homage of that show....Like the folks who got the "Stinkin' Badges" line from The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre wrong due to getting a joke line from both an episode of The Monkees and Blazing Saddles. People are actually remembering a paraphrase from a homage.

Likewise; Folks remember PERSONALLY hearing a children's radio show host saying something awful about kids when he thought the mic was off....when in fact, they likely heard a contrived dramatization from a record full of fake/hoax bloopers.... http://www.snopes.co...io/bastards.asp

Thus....
  • "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!" becomes "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges!!"
  • "You're gonna need a bigger boat!" becomes "We're gonna need a bigger boat!".
  • "No. I am your Father." becomes "Luke! I am your Father!".
There's tons of examples (Captain Kirk never said, 'Beam me/us up, Scotty' verbatim. Ricky Ricardo never said, 'You got some 'splainin' to do, Lucy!' verbatim. Joe Friday never said, 'Just the fact's Ma'am.'....) All of these things are entering "Mandela Effect" territory. It's weird but it's not mysterious. "Mandela Effect" is just a new-fangled term for "Remembering Stuff All Wrong". It's not a new concept.

When I was a tiny child, I initially had both Pope John Pauls mixed up. John Paul I died then John Paul II was elected, then survived an assassination attempt. I had a weird idea that they were the same guy who resurrected himself or that John Paul I looked like John Paul II or something.

It was soon cleared up....
"Isn't The Pope dead?"
"No. That was John Paul the First. THIS is John Paul the Second, and the Second survived getting shot."

OFF-TOPIC; I'm flattered that, according to the level-designation above my userpic, I'm a saucy sexy sex-demon lady! COOL!

Edited by SpukiKitty, 04 February 2017 - 09:09 AM.

Posted Image

#22 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

I remember the movie.   I remember watching the movie.   I can clearly see Sinbad in costume and remember certain scenes.

I've never seen Captain Marvel anything (not read the comics,  not watched shows or movies or cartoons). I might be able to pick him out of a superhero lineup.

I remember the Berenstain Bears thing changing when I was about five.   They used to run it in Good Housekeeping and I remember noticing the difference in the name and going back through and checking and being confused and adamant that it wasn't spelled the same as it had been.

And for me Kirk Douglas died when he had the stroke in '99.  Mickey Rooney died around the same time Isaac Asimov did...  not long after Freddie Mercury instead of a couple years ago.   Wesley Snipes went to prison for life for murder instead of a couple years for tax evasion. ...

There are others but those are the ones that stick with me.

Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#23 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,191 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

Someone actually created a Shazaam VHS box with Sinbad on the cover.  Here's more on the confusion and the fake box that's been circulating on the internet: http://www.snopes.co...-movie-shazaam/

Spuki is (IMO) correct about misremembered quotes, that are actually from spoofs and homages, not the original quote. It's kind of like the telephone game, the quote gets altered as it's passed along on media
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users