• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 Yuri Hyuga

Yuri Hyuga

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Watch Anime,play games ,read manga. Watch kamen rider shows. Write. Super robot wars and study about yokai

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:16 AM

i found this strange site about chinese dragons
http://www.lair2000.net/Chinese_Dragons/Chinese_Dragons.html opps glad i did notice i send wrong site first this is right site now
monty python and the holy grails classic

Edited by Yuri Hyuga, 22 December 2004 - 09:18 AM.

I Know what drives my body. It's not duty or mission. It's the desire to protect people. Yeah, I fight becuse i love people! Kamen Rider Blade.

When you're lost.You're sure to be guided by the strength of your feelings- The future you wish for is already in your hands. Kamen Rider Den-o

#42 gwardhome

gwardhome

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(Lianachan @ Dec 21 2004, 04:06 AM)
Dragon stories and legends have indeed sprung up all over the world, but they are very different.  Your European Dragon was very much a nasty piece of work, which was to be run through with a lance at the earliest opportunity, whereas your Chinese Lung Dragons were a powerful force for good.

View Post

I wonder though if those could be the same creatue but as seen by people in VERY different cultures.  Ancient Chinese saw these as wonderful and rare creatures to be revered.  Ancient Europeans  saw these and frightening and fortunately rare creatures that they wanted to get rid of.  The Chinese of long ago do seem to be rather more sophisticated in many ways than Europeans of the same period.

Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it!  - Jack Skellington The Nightmare Before Christmas

#43 Daemon

Daemon

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, music, cars, astronomy, and well you if you're cute, heh heh.

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:51 AM

I believe there was definately something that got called dragon. After the discovery the giant squid (a once believed imaginary creature) I started to re-examine what were once fairy tale creatures.

I know this is a shameless plug and if found to be inappropriate then the mods can remove it, but if you order my catalog I have several different styles of dragon statues for sale in it along with many other mystical creatures. The catalog is free too :-D

#44 Yuri Hyuga

Yuri Hyuga

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Watch Anime,play games ,read manga. Watch kamen rider shows. Write. Super robot wars and study about yokai

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(gwardhome @ Dec 22 2004, 06:44 PM)
Ancient Europeans  saw these and frightening and fortunately rare creatures that they wanted to get rid of.

View Post

I remeber reading its was christans priest that said before in old days that dragons was evil and devils that must be hunted down.
I Know what drives my body. It's not duty or mission. It's the desire to protect people. Yeah, I fight becuse i love people! Kamen Rider Blade.

When you're lost.You're sure to be guided by the strength of your feelings- The future you wish for is already in your hands. Kamen Rider Den-o

#45 Hunter

Hunter

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Interests:Model Trains, Paranormal research, SCA (SCA.ORG), My family, movies, life in general.

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(Yuri Hyuga @ Dec 22 2004, 12:56 PM)
I remeber reading its was christans priest that said before in old days that dragons was evil and devils that must be hunted down.

View Post

They were known for saying stuff like that about a lot of things that they did not understand or want to understand or want you to understand! I am not saying that they were wrong but they are know for missleading a lot of people and covering the truth a lot.
Hanging around GS since the late 90's
What is normal and what is real and who are we to decide?

#46 Lianachan

Lianachan

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE(GIdotCOM @ Dec 22 2004, 06:51 PM)
I believe there was definately something that got called dragon. After the discovery the giant squid (a once believed imaginary creature) I started to re-examine what were once fairy tale creatures.

View Post

I'm fascinated by giant squid, and it's true they had been the stuff of legend and unbelieved tales - but they live deep in the oceans, and are very rarely seen (and never photographed) alive.  They spend their entire lives in an environment that is extremely hostile to, and seldom visited by, humans. Dragons, I would presume, are/were land dwelling.  Where do you suppose they could have been hiding?
I apologise unreservedly. I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, was in no way fair comment and was motivated purely by malice. I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#47 Daemon

Daemon

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, music, cars, astronomy, and well you if you're cute, heh heh.

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Lianachan @ Dec 22 2004, 02:41 PM)
I'm fascinated by giant squid, and it's true they had been the stuff of legend and unbelieved tales - but they live deep in the oceans, and are very rarely seen (and never photographed) alive.  They spend their entire lives in an environment that is extremely hostile to, and seldom visited by, humans. Dragons, I would presume, are/were land dwelling.  Where do you suppose they could have been hiding?

View Post

I dont know about dragons being around today. Im speaking middle age stuff. Like was said every story has a grain of truth.

#48 Lianachan

Lianachan

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE(GIdotCOM @ Dec 23 2004, 12:41 AM)
I dont know about dragons being around today. Im speaking middle age stuff. Like was said every story has a grain of truth.

View Post

So you think that a dinosaur, or some other kind of giant lizard, was alive and well in the middle-ages?  I think the occasional accidental discovery of fossil remains while, for example, quarrying is a far more likely explanation for mans creation of dragons.  Also - middle-ages?  Dragon stories are thousands of years older than that (Sumerians and Babylonians wrote of dragons, for example).
I apologise unreservedly. I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, was in no way fair comment and was motivated purely by malice. I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#49 Daemon

Daemon

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE(Lianachan @ Dec 23 2004, 03:52 AM)
So you think that a dinosaur, or some other kind of giant lizard, was alive and well in the middle-ages?  I think the occasional accidental discovery of fossil remains while, for example, quarrying is a far more likely explanation for mans creation of dragons.  Also - middle-ages?  Dragon stories are thousands of years older than that (Sumerians and Babylonians wrote of dragons, for example).

View Post

I said I dont know, and neither does anyone else alive today.  And I only mentioned middle ages because as far as I know thats the last time where the stories of dragons being alive happened. But then again I dont really know the mythology that good either.

#50 Yuri Hyuga

Yuri Hyuga

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:27 AM

well i found another dragon sites enjoy  biggrin.gif  http://www.dragnix.net/From_tail_to_snout/

#51 rojen

rojen

Apport

• GS Member
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, video games, and martial arts woot

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:29 PM

wow thanks for the info even though i do not agree with everything that site said it does help though

#52 spiritoftheunicorns

spiritoftheunicorns

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:Unicorns, Pegasus, Angels, fairys, ghost and spirits, ufos, Photo, drawing, photoshop, music = BRYAN ADAMS
    ;) Movies = Christian Slater +++

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:39 PM

Like i believe in unicorns i believe in dragons as well! Cos unicorn and dragon are often seen together in pictures.. smile.gif I have a drawing picture on my wall in my room of a wizard with a white unicorn and a red winged dragon. I like that picture werry much! I see if i can post it here if i find it in my dragon file on my computer.
smile.gif I also collect dragon figures. i got 2 new one this year. Its 2 baby dragons that cames out of egg. Really cute bouth of them. I also have another one coming out from egg with red glass eyes. I also have some movies with dragons. Like: The last unicorn, Merlin, shrek 1 n 2 and dragon heart! Love them all smile.gif
There also dragons in LOTR smile.gif
I also once watched discovery on tv, and there was a program about small live real winged dragons.. They filmed them also. smile.gif So i do believe dragons are back in our world. smile.gif I dont remember where they lived tho sad.gif But i rember when i saw it on tv it was cool. They wasent big, maby not bigger then a lizard.  smile.gif

This picture looks pretty real to me smile.gif

user posted image

Edited by spiritofthehorses, 09 January 2005 - 06:42 PM.

#53 Yuri Hyuga

Yuri Hyuga

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:04 AM

well i found one more site chinese dragons some clothes the have in china and remeber from romance of the three kingdom about a true hero Liu Bei was now to be like a dragon. http://www.chinapage.org/dragon1.html

#54 mardawg666

mardawg666

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • Interests:Wife, kids, guns and cars.

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(Lianachan @ Dec 21 2004, 04:06 AM)
This site is quite interesting, although by page five it becomes all too clear that the author has a cuckoo clock built into his forehead.

View Post

"contemporaneously?!" Who is this guy? Websters son?  Nobody says that! Lian, your links are once again very informative. I agree that this author is a little on the "wishful-thinking" side. I DO NOT beleive that Humans and dinosaurs existed at the same time. Where is the forensic evidence of modern dinosaurs? Even a single dinosaur bone less than 50,000 years old would be helpful in swaying my opinion. Collective memory, nah! I dont think so.
A real dragon would scare me to death. Id faint, fart, and fall dead the moment I saw it.

Edited by mardawg666, 22 January 2005 - 11:34 AM.

#55 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:19 PM

No examples of mythical dragons have ever been found by paleontologists. Its like unicorns. If they were real, then their bodies must have gone poof when they died.

#56 Svartalfheim

Svartalfheim

EVP

• GS Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:31 PM

The first actual recording of a "dragon" like creature would be in the book of Genesis in the Bible. It talks about how God cursed the snake to crawl on its belly, which implies that is had legs, wings, etc. It was also considered the most beautiful animal in the Garden of Eden, so this only ratifies the theory that it was a dragon or a dragon-esque animal.

The Apocrypha book, Bel and the dragon, is an extension to the Bible that wasn't included for some various reason or the next. But it does speak twice about a "false idol dragon god" called Bel, and a living dragon that the Babylonians worshipped freely.

1 - When King Astyages was laid with his fathers, Cyrus the Persian received his kingdom.

2 - And Daniel was a companion of the king, and was the most honored of his friends.

3 - Now the Babylonians had an idol called Bel, and every day they spent on it twelve bushels of fine flour and forty sheep and fifty gallons of wine.

4 - The king revered it and went every day to worship it. But Daniel worshiped his own God.

5 - And the king said to him, "Why do you not worship Bel?" He answered, "Because I do not revere man-made idols, but the living God, who created heaven and earth and has dominion over all flesh."

6 - The king said to him, "Do you not think that Bel is a living God? Do you not see how much he eats and drinks every day?"

7 - Then Daniel laughed, and said, "Do not be deceived, O king; for this is but clay inside and brass outside, and it never ate or drank anything."

8 - Then the king was angry, and he called his priests and said to them,

"If you do not tell me who is eating these provisions, you shall die.

9 - But if you prove that Bel is eating them, Daniel shall die, because he blasphemed against Bel." And Daniel said to the king, "Let it be done as you have said."

10 - Now there were seventy priests of Bel, besides their wives and children.

And the king went with Daniel into the temple of Bel.

11 - And the priests of Bel said, "Behold, we are going outside; you yourself, O king, shall set forth the food and mix and place the wine, and shut the door and seal it with your signet.

12 - And when you return in the morning, if you do not find that Bel has eaten it all, we will die; or else Daniel will, who is telling lies about us."

13 - They were unconcerned,

for beneath the table they had made a hidden entrance, through which they used to go in regularly and consume the provisions.

14 - When they had gone out, the king set forth the food for Bel. Then Daniel ordered his servants to bring ashes and

they sifted them throughout the whole temple in the presence of the king alone. Then they went out, shut the door and sealed it with the king's signet, and departed.

15 - In the night the priests came with their wives and children, as they were accustomed to do, and ate and drank everything.

16 - Early in the morning the king rose and came, and Daniel with him.

17 - And the king said, "Are the seals unbroken, Daniel?" He answered, "They are unbroken, O king."

18 - As soon as the doors were opened, the king looked at the table, and shouted in a loud voice,

"You are great, O Bel; and with you there is no deceit, none at all."

19 - Then Daniel laughed, and restrained the king from going in, and said, "Look at the floor, and notice whose footsteps these are."

20 - The king said, "I see the footsteps of men and women and children."

21 - Then the king was enraged, and he seized the priests and their wives and children; and they showed him the secret doors through which they were accustomed to enter and devour what was on the table.

22 - Therefore the king put them to death, and gave Bel over to Daniel, who destroyed it and its temple.

23 - There was also a great dragon, which the Babylonians revered.

24 - And the king said to Daniel, "You cannot deny that this is a living god; so worship him."

25 - Daniel said, "I will worship the Lord my God, for he is the living God.

26 - But if you, O king, will give me permission, I will slay the dragon without sword or club." The king said, "I give you permission."

27 - Then Daniel took pitch, fat, and hair, and boiled them together and made cakes, which he fed to the dragon.

The dragon ate them, and burst open. And Daniel said,

"See what you have been worshiping!"

28 - When the Babylonians heard it, they were very indignant and conspired against the king, saying,

"The king has become a Jew; he has destroyed Bel, and slain the dragon, and slaughtered the priests."

29 - Going to the king, they said, "Hand Daniel over to us, or else we will kill you and your household."

30 - The king saw that they were pressing him hard, and under compulsion he handed Daniel over to them.

31 - They threw Daniel into the lions' den, and he was there for six days.

Many, many references are in the Bible about dragons or dragon like creatures. Leviathan, a supposed sea serpent, and Behemoth, what might have been an oversized type of an oxe or bull. There is also evidence that shows that Moses might have taken dinosaurs on the Ark with him, but because of the dramatic change in weather conditions and climate, the dragons died out. In fact, many animals might have died out because of this.

And yes, even in the book of poetry that is Revelations it speaks about dragons. Stuff like this is sprinkled all over the Bible. You just gotta do some studying. wink.gif

- J.A.

#57 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE(rojen @ Dec 16 2004, 04:08 PM)
i always wondered if dragons at one time or other really exsited i mean it is possable cuse if you goto asian and ask what a dragon looks like they would say a long serpent with no wings and in the western part of the world if you ask the ppl there they look different they have wings and walk on land sometimes see they ppl say to different things about them it just makes me wonder "ponder" if it was made up you would think they would look alike but they look nothing alike could it be possable they could exsit any comments

View Post

Just as there were different species of dinosaurs I imagine there are different species of dragons.  
  Please note I said "are"... I think they're around, but don't care to be seen. The best place to look for them are in storm clouds.  They are ususally well camoflaged, and I usually catch the motion first. (My family plays "spot the dragon" like some people go birding.  I've seen them as small as humming birds, but the ones you might see in storm clouds are very large. )

I suppose, that like spotting faeries, or ghosts or UFO's, seeing or not seeing things like dragons can be encouraged or discouraged culturally.

I saw a promo for something coming up "soon" on Animal Planet, a sort of Natural History of Dragons in the manner of Walking with the Dinosaurs I'm looking forward to that, and the CGI looks wonderful.

#58 blackfire_warrior

blackfire_warrior

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Location:Lost in a dark abyss writhing in pain and touture of my past sins where only a dragons flame can light my way home.
  • Interests:Dragons...Ghost...The Paranormal In General...i Especially Love DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:19 AM

lil tid bit go to ur nearest bookstore hopefull barnes and noble buy book called dragonology bestes dragon book in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1i know cause i bought it!!!!!
Posted Image

<3 dragons <3 paranormal <3

#59 xprinc3ss

xprinc3ss

EVP

• GS Member
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Hi! my name is Courtney. I'm 12 years old. I love to play soccer, and go shopping, and draw and write. my fave color is pink and my fave food is salads. I'm really girlie, but I'm fascinated in ghosts and paranormal things.

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:58 PM

i watched a show where they found this dinosaur like creature in the deep snow of romania and  on the creature was horns, and they found a pocket in its stomach filled with a gas sort of substance. they are thinking it is a dragon because of the pouch to help it breathe fire!

#60 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:47 PM

can you remember what the show was