15 replies to this topic

#1 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Martial Arts, Travel, Geocaching

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

We do use a lot of equipment, A lot of it, for me is trial and error. For example I have allowed the use of an SB7. Not again. Annoying and very disprovable.
I feel the same way about the ovulius.

Now my team asked me to buy, and I did the EDI and the Boo Buddy.

We are also testing the kinect system and to why it would or would not work outside of it's gaming parameter

Any experience with these
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Director Canadian Haunting and Paranormal Society
http://www.chapsparanormal.ca
Liaison TAPS Family International.
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#2 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,641 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

Aside from the Ovilus before, I haven't,

I'd like to hear about the Kinect after you get a handle on it. My personal theory is that the stick figures we sometimes see it pick up on TV are glitches in the device itself, versus actual spirits. It just seems it could generate the stick figure trying to make sense of objects in the room, or of the room design itself
My Signature
Posted Image

#3 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

I can agree with that. I don't know if I'd say glitch rather than programming. The algorithms are set to pick up a human body and is in constant state of mapping.

To me it is more about what happens during that mapping process. IE is the body just standing there or is there a form of interactive or intelligent movement. It is interesting however
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#4 siguie

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

Cool! is that the EDI or EDI+ 'cuz the PLUS is something I'm considering ... the next time I have $200 burning a hole in my pocket :sigh: BUT it has a data recorder and is just a little better thought out I think :yes:

Boo Buddy ... meh ... just use an old smartphone and spend $3 for the Tasker app then poke it in a toy or appropriate object for the investigation.

YES that's just the Kinect algorithm desperately trying to figure out the human figure trying to connect with it :yes: IF you have someone really good with software they "could" create a great motion sensor using all of the IR dots AND it would be AWESOME for paranormal investigations :yes: Otherwise you will probably be better off using a red laser grid and a camera to watch for motion. FYI Red is better, less likely to blind anyone and wont mess with night vision and make people see orbs.

Have you tried disconnecting the antenna from the SB7 and putting it in a foil wrapped box? Other than station clicking sounds it shouldn't be THAT annoying. The problem is people just sweep radio frequencies with it so yeah of course it will get random words. Without an antenna AND wrapped in foil IF you get a word/phrase AND it's answering a question then yeah I'd think it's reasonable to consider it as evidence :yes: otherwise not so much :no:

I know I keep mentioning this BUT I think random "word generators" that spirits may atleast have some ability to manipulate are reasonable to use in investigations. The caveat is you need to have much more compelling responses than a single word or atleast multiple instances of correct responses. So 10 random words that have no correlation should be tossed but 10 words forming a phrase or sentence especially if it answers a question then it should be considered :yes:
My Signature
- siguie -

#5 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

Boo Buddy, yeah I guess it was a matter of it all in the one. The bigger of the 2 seems to have some better functionality. If anything easier than building it. EDI+ is what we bought. We're fortunate to be able to generate income with a larger team.

We've tried to set a lot of the false positives for the kinect, we did get the system modified by an electronics dude that makes things for this purpose. Seems pretty talented. I have to admit, all the warnings I have had about what happens, I can't even make it happen. It seems to only map, when there is something to map.

But my court isn't out, it will be a few months yet. I figure after 10-20 investigations using it. I will have an educated opinion.

Meh I guess, since the chances of a random word generator being anything but a random word picked from a fixed list. I just as soon not take the chance. But everyone has a right to what they want to use.
I wouldn't base an investigation on any one piece of equipment

I slap myself in the face when I see proof being called due to a KII hit.
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#6 siguie

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

View Postchapsparanormal, on 09 July 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

Meh I guess, since the chances of a random word generator being anything but a random word picked from a fixed list. I just as soon not take the chance. But everyone has a right to what they want to use.
I wouldn't base an investigation on any one piece of equipment

I slap myself in the face when I see proof being called due to a KII hit.

Completely reasonable and I totally understand :yes: As you may or may not know I wrote a little system GhosTalk that is essentially a word generator for the web and I now have 3 times where it seems to have produced words that are not in its vocabulary 2 are from people who contacted me asking questions and one that actually happened to me.

Most of the time yes they are random words and should not be thought of as anything more but sometimes you get words or word combinations that just make you think ... maybe ...  and then there are those 3 times that I really cannot explain.

That said try wrapping the SB7 so it cannot get a signal ... if you get a word ... it's probably not that random :no:

Edited by siguie, 09 July 2017 - 03:10 PM.

My Signature
- siguie -

#7 Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:06 AM

The EDI+ sounds like a nice all in data recording device. Might save me a lot of time as I have been trying for a few months to build my own device using arduino but this is proving to be difficult especially trying to record EMF but this keeps me out of mischief most evening as I tinker with it.

So Dave, how has the EDI+ been these last few weeks?
My Signature

#8 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

I have not had an investigation that merited its use just yet.
Have had 2 since I got it, neither seemed the place to test.
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#9 siguie

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

On the subject of toys a couple of videos ago, not the rant one, you had  something that was I believe an EMF detector that displays a changing pattern. It's kind of a big rectangular thing and I've seen you using it before and I'm just curious what the patterns signify or the random light changes?

Edited by siguie, 26 July 2017 - 03:58 PM.

My Signature
- siguie -

#10 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

My light panels. emf/IR/and touch sensitive.
Still testing them out and seeing what sets them off. I know 1st time out, was like wow then realized they are sensitive to IR booms on my cams. You will see me test that theory a lot.
I can't say as I have had too much result just yet. For the cost, and the hassle to get them. LOL. I may have hit myself and been guilty of seeing it on a show and liking it too much

Ben Hanson from Fact or Faked got me on to them. He brought them on Lockdown once the Waverly episode I couldn't find them so I contacted him, not a paranormal tool at all. Actually from a kids electronic company.

BUt 2 panels, with borders fees and shipping ended up costing me about 500 Canadian.

(BTW never use UPS)
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#11 siguie

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:04 PM

Ah gotcha :yes: Looking back at my youtube history it was the "Date with the Extreme Actor" video. I was wondering why it had rather specific changing patterns and if the patterns meant anything BUT yeah kids toy that would explain it :yes:

That said I would not knock a kids toy :no: one of my first DIY made for ghost hunting toolz was a kids toy with a PIR motion sensor and at the time it worked better than most "security" PIR sensors AND it was much easier to tweak :yes:
My Signature
- siguie -

#12 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

It isn't a toy per se but on a site for educational stuff, Ben had even told me not to tell them why I was buying it as they wouldn't sell it to me. Like I said, my court is out on a few "toys" I'm using. I am very fortunate for the most part to have a larger team with a larger budget to try such things.

Now on the Extreme Actor, please take NONE of that seriously. His show, he was pitching it. I unknowingly went out of pocket to help the guy. He wanted it hammed up, I did what I could without 100% losing any credibility

My biggest worry is people taking me seriously on that. But I appreciate you watching it.
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#13 siguie

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:55 PM

Oh no worries there, it was pretty clear you were a tad uncomfortable but playing along :yes:

Real scientists wont care if you are serious or goofing as long as nothing compromises the data. Besides hanging out in the dark for hours gets old fast and doesn't make good videos. In my opinion the actor didn't help his cause but being a goofball doesn't make the light board any less interesting :no:
My Signature
- siguie -

#14 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

I will say, EDI is fine as far as a simple data logger. If people know what to do with the info. It needs to be placed down somewhere and not carried that is for sure.

Boo Buddy, well. I think is just a good trigger object. Also should be isolated to ask questions, as so far I can see it actually reacts to people in the room, meaning temperature and vibration/sound.
Investigators get caught up thinking it is detecting something when it is them. Too much cost for what you get in my opinion
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#15 Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:50 AM

Hi Dave,

If possible (or anyone else who might have the EDI+) could you send me a smallish copy of the csv file the EDI+ creates. I just want to look at how the data is recorded and stored. I want to do this before I decide if it's ok to purchase.

Thanks
My Signature

#16 siguie

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

View PostCapt-Zeanie, on 08 October 2017 - 03:50 AM, said:

Hi Dave,

If possible (or anyone else who might have the EDI+) could you send me a smallish copy of the csv file the EDI+ creates. I just want to look at how the data is recorded and stored. I want to do this before I decide if it's ok to purchase.

Thanks

I don't have an EDI+ BUT CSV files are just text files with "Comma Separated Values" ... though it can be any character delimiter and not just commas.

Here's a sample CSV I just made link if you use Excel or much better and free LibreOffice Calc when you open the file you will get a little questionaire asking how to divvy up the cells. Commas are the default and what I used for the example but you can use any ascii delimiter :yes:

Anyways from the website it sounds like sensors record once per second and the values are written to the log file {CSV format}.

Dave will no doubt be able to get an actual file BUT I hope this might help in the meantime :yes:

FYI: I know one problem is that the logfiles are NOT date/time stamped :sigh:

Oh and here's a good video by Beoderic Paranormal ... youtube video
My Signature
- siguie -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com