• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PsySpiral

PsySpiral

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:48 PM

Good afternoon everyone, I am new here, I signed up because I am really after some opinions as to some odd goings on.

Anyway, right to the chase, a bit of background. I have lived in my house for just over 6 years now, which is a moderate sized, single story house in Western Australia. It's a new house, as in I bought empty land which had never had a house before, and a builder built a house there, after which I moved in.

Anyway, almost as soon as I moved in (mid 2010) When I was in the master bedroom and the house was quiet, I would hear occasional banging noises from elsewhere in the house, and sometimes even find things on the ground I am SURE I put on benches, shelves, tables, etc. This is all with me at home alone, no windows open, no external doors open, no other occupants, no animals.

This went on for a few months, I started having a house guest in the form of my girlfriend at the time who heard the noises too, and was less blase about them, and was actually rather freaked out by them.

Anyway, in October 2010, I got a cat. Small, 6-8 weeks old, but somehow the noises just stopped. The idea was, at least if I heard noises, I could just put it down to the cat, but no, the noises stopped. I had a friend, actually a couple of friends, one of whom was a self proclaimed witch, one of which was a self proclaimed.., err, angel or something, admittedly I am not the most open minded person and didn't pay much attention. Anyway, they were both rather appalled that I had apparently driven off something by getting a cat. let me just say, I am a total cat person, and had always planned on getting a cat as soon as I got my new house, but I had also secretly hoped there would be a '2 birds' sort of deal since cats always seem to be portrayed as sort of sentinels and wards against.., things. Besides, from my point of view, its my brand new house, on my brand new land, nothing really should have a reason or right to be there, should it? Anyway, as I mentioned, the noises abruptly stopped.

I got another cat in late 2015 (the original cat is still there also), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but in 2016, I am having a weird issue in doors closing 1/4 of the way. I know that sounds stupid, but I will push a door all the way open, and next time I go to the room, the door is moved away from the wall, just the amount it would need to be open for someone to be hiding behind it. I push the doors back to the wall each time and obviously they move freely every time, but its still disconcerting. Additionally, when I go into the back part of my house, I always find myself looking over my shoulder, like I just feel someone is there.

There's probably reasonable explanations, but I would love to hear opinions.

Regards,
DEx

#2 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:20 AM

Hi... and welcome!

Just so you know, many hauntings can usually be concluded explainable... especially in a case like yours. I'm just saying that before someone else chimes in and says it.  ;)  But let's assume you do have something going on, and it's certainly a possibility. First, I would advise finding some small rocks, just big enough to keep a door from closing easily. Then open all the usual doors all the way open and place a small rock to hold each one. If they still close, then you log it (time, day, rock size, which door, etc). Now we have some evidence to go with. So we then try bigger and bigger rocks to test the strength of the possible visitor. Then log it all in a notebook. Of course, it may not have the strength or ability to move the doors with a rock, but that's unlikely if it has moved other objects in the past.

I should also state it doesn't have to be the house that's haunted. It could be the land or something you brought with you when you settled in. Maybe even something a friend might have given you for good luck, ironically enough. Did you buy anything used when you moved in? Or even recently?

The cat was a good thing... they can usually sense or even see them. So maybe for fear of getting detected on a regular basis, it fled.

So now it appears you have a new visitor. So do the rock test and see how it goes. And as for the back of the house, I would suggest keeping everything back there nice and tidy, open the windows for fresh air in the evening (daytime too if it's not to hot). Have night lights or brighter plugged in every room back there and leave all doors open. Try that for now, would be my suggestion.

#3 lorac61469

lorac61469

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:13 AM

Do you think it's possible one of the cats is moving the doors? My cats love to open the closets and kitchen cabinets in my home.

#4 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

The Official GhostStudy Easter Bunny

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

It's possible the new cat likes to hide behind doors. My brother has two cats. One of them likes to hide and pounce on the other, as it walks through the doorway. Just a thought.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

Posted Image

My Shop

#5 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:03 PM

Lorac and McC.... excellent thought on the matter! That's why it takes a village.  :good:
I did not make the connection between the new cat and the door.... :wacko:

#6 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, his cats are riots. One is a Siamese and can't see to well, because he's cross-eyed. The other is a Maine Coon. They'll be nice and loving to each other one minute and fighting the next. Anyway, Cash (the Coon) likes to lie in wait and attack Max (the Siamese). Though Max does the same to Cash. Max will be lounging on the coffee table and Cash will come in and lay down underneath it. He didn't notice Max was on top of the table. Next thing you notice Max will reach down and start swatting at Cash's butt. Max will quickly bring his paw back up, so when Cash goes to look, he doesn't see anything there. Max will keep on doing it, until he gets caught by Cash. At that moment it's all out war between them. Cash will chase him all over the house. At times Max goes so fast, running away from Cash and because his eyesight isn't great, he ends up slamming into the cabinet doors. :wallbash:  But he just gets up and keeps running. Eventually Cash gives up the chase and they're best buds again. Cats are so weird... :crazy:

Edited for spelling.

Edited by MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe, 01 August 2016 - 09:10 PM.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

Posted Image

My Shop

#7 K9Crusader

K9Crusader

Apport

• GS Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

I have doors in my house that do the same thing, over time hinges can become loose or weaken. This can cause a door to behave in the way you have described. I'm not saying that is what is happening but it might be a place to start.

#8 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:47 AM

Interesting points about the doors - might be worthwhile seeing if you can check the hinges?
It's in the trees, it's coming!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Haunting, Ghosts, Cats, Help, Mystery