8 replies to this topic

#1 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

I have been a professional reader for over 25 years.  I used to be on Cincinnati radio for 11 years; 2 different stations. I did 2 morning shows.

I was recently contacted by a company that is associated with one radio station and they asked me if I would do 1/2 price readings and they would add it to their site.  They contacted me; I did not contact them.  1/2 price means.....I cut my cost in half....then cut it in half again.  I only get 1/4 of the money I would make, the company takes the rest.  So lets say I did $100 readings.....the deal would be they pay $50...I would only get $25 (I do not do $100 readings btw)

I said I will do phone readings, but I will not offer in person readings because I do not have the time.  My granddaughter lives with me full time and I can only do in person readings while she is in school.  Most people cannot make those times and I am not willing to give up my weekends when she is at her mom's to do them.  I always try to talk people who call my office into doing phone readings.  Some die hards insist on an in person.

So anyway, I said.....I will be glad to do phone readings from 10 AM til 9 PM....IF they call in and I am available I will do an on the spot reading.  Otherwise I can schedule an appt for them.

They INSISTED I have to offer in person readings.  So I said ok, but I can only do them M - F 10 to 2.  I am also losing my butt on these.  I get 1/4 of the money I would make without the coupon.

So I called them and said.....I am not going to do any more in person readings; it's a hassle.  I do not like ppl in my home, and 90% of my business is phone readings; 80% are repeat clients that are happy with phone readings.  There are 2 separate deals.  One is for in person, the other is for a phone reading.  I wanted to cancel the in person deal.

So they told me if you do not offer in person readings we will pull your ad.  I said go ahead, nobody dicates how I run my own business.  Oh,I might add that the sales manager begged me to do an in person on a Saturday morning for his wife, which I did, but did not want to.

So here is the deal.................Other than sitting face to face, there is no difference in a phone reading vs an in person.  I do psychometry with photos, but I offered to let the person email me a photo.  I am clairaudient so I "hear" the same info either way.

I can pull up the photo/s while I am on the phone with them and look at them.  I do not like strangers in my house.  I hate keeping my house spotless ( LOL ) and it is much easier to do a phone reading.  People can call on their lunch break or in the privacy of their own home up until 9 PM.

So if or when you wish to do a reading do you feel like it has to be in person OR would you do a phone reading IF you got the same information either way????  I am looking for honest answers here and I do not mean a reading with ME!!!!!  Please do not think that!!!.  I am saying in general.  Which would you rather do????  I call a reader in Boston.  My best friend only does phone readings and that includes mediumship readings, communicating with the dead.  She refuses to do in person readings and she is always busy.

I will scar you for life now, but I can sit in my robe on the phone, not comb my hair, my house can be a wreck, which it can be with a 6 year old.....and do an excellent reading.  Why do people insist it be in person??????   It's cheaper too!!!!!

One good thing about a phone reading is that I cannot see their facial expressions or body language.  They call in on the spot.  No waiting and no appointment necessary!

IF those people on that half price deal ONLY had a choice of a phone reading I think they would sign up.  Those idiots at the station think otherwise.  Hello!  Have they been doing phone readings for a quarter of a century????   I don't think so.

Ok, I am done venting now.  It just made me mad that they are trying to tell me how I should run my business.

The entire deal is now cancelled.

Auntie Ame
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#2 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Speaking strictly from a customer's point of view, I have no problem with a phone reading with all else being equal.  I'm all about efficiency (blame it on my German heritage, LOL), and it just makes sense to go with the phone since it eliminates the time, effort, and gas required for travel and is just so much easier to schedule for both customer and reader.  I also think it's better because the whole body language issue is taken out of the equation--as a skeptic, I would worry that I was inadvertently giving the reader cues and that would make me question the legitimacy of the reading.  I think that some people might feel comforted by visiting with the reader in person, but personally, I have no need for that.

#3 BlueRose3

BlueRose3

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Good for you for sticking up for yourself. Even giving them half the money is paying them way too much. Personally, if I was able to do what you can do, I would never give them any more than 20% tops. You don't need them. I would have told them to shove it too.

Since I know that it works just as well (if not better) by phone than it does by having a reading face to face I personally would rather have a reading by phone. Once you make the connection with the other person it doesn't matter where the other person lives. They could be on the other side of the world and the reading would still be the same as if the person was right there beside you.

#4 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

I tend to be leery of promotion offers like this anyway.
and when a company has showed up out of the blue making demands that I get only 1/4 my pay for the same work (pay them a fee, PLUS drop my price to less than my expenses, or less than minimum wage), I get MAD...

They've basically offered you advertising, but for a significant share of your pay, and dropping your price. This equals devaluing your craft/skills/work... and they're benefitting from hardly doing anything.

IF you decide you need to advertise there are lots of ways to do it without devaluing your skills or service, without becoming a cash cow for someone else, and paying a rate that is within your budget for the advertising, and where you have more control over how and when you are working.

I'd not only turn down their "service" I'd be telling any friends in the same field to be wary of them.

Your Mileage May Vary.

#5 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Let's see if i can get all my thoughts on this down...

There are positives and negatives for both in person and phone readings from a customer's point of view. Much of the point of view from the phone readings have been posted, so from an in person (which i would prefer, but i also see benefits from phone too) point of view as a customer, i would prefer it because i can see what the psychic is doing. I would know this person isn't doing any online research of my profile. I can attempt to read the psychic as the psychic is reading me. Of course, it's unlikely i'd find anything fishy since the psychic probably has a lot of practice doing what s/he does, but i'm trying to explain the mentality of myself and possibly other customers. It would also feel less cold, and more personal than a voice over the phone.

The customer is also likely to be unaware that isn't a difference between in person and over the phone. From a business point a view, it would make sense for them to want both. However, it's your business so they have no right to dictate how you should run it.

The pricing seems a bit whacked too. Maybe they think you're desperate for work? Was it negotiable? It might make some sense if it was very limited time offer.

I'm trying to think of a word to describe them. Opportunists? Not that it really matters.

Back to the limited time offer. That would make some sense because in the long run, you could receive more repeat clients, and new ones through word of mouth. In that sense, as a limited time offer, i could possibly see it being  a worthwhile deal.

I will scar you for life now, but I can sit in my robe on the phone, not comb my hair, my house can be a wreck, which it can be with a 6 year old...

I can't quite imagine how you'd do that. Can you post a pic? :crazy:

Edited by Ghuoest, 22 March 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#6 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

Honestly I would probably have told them where they could stick it at the initial offer.  It's your business.  You can offer whatever makes you comfortable and what works with your schedule.  I prefer in-person readings just because I'd be watching the psychic do their thing but if someone I trusted only offered a phone reading, assuming I'd pay for a reading, I would accept that from them.    It sounds like they were trying to make money off of you and dictate the terms of how they were going to receive that money.  I think you're best off without them.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#7 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Assuming I'd be willing to pay for a reading, I wouldn't be willing to do it over the phone. Mind you, I once did have a psychic reading and what she said turned out to be right. She read the tarot for me and told me that my first husband and I shouldn't be together while we were still dating. She said "He's self destructive and you will regret it" and hadn't met him. My question was "What will be the future of our relationship". Boy was she right, but that's another story.

The reason I'd want it to be in person is because I'd question how a psychic could possibly know anything about the person from that distance and with so much technology between them. A person generates energy and an aura. To me, it would seem natural that these would impact the reading. By not being in the persons presence, you wouldn't be able to read these things, especially over the phone which means they could could very easily be wrong.

As to your business, well it's your business. You should charge what you feel you're worth. If others agree, they will pay you for it. It doesn't sound like being involved with these people would be worth your time.

Edited by moiraesfate, 26 March 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#8 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Because I am clairaudient it doesn't matter if I am face to face with a person.  I hear the questions.....I "hear" the answer in my head and answer the question.  In the spirit realm there is no real time or space, so I can sit in my room and "read" an aura a thousand miles away.  Don't know how that works, it just does.

Thanks for the replies.  I told them no thanks and canceled them.  Yes, I got free advertising on 5 stations all day 2 days out of the year, but it wasn't worth it.

Here is another reason the phone works better.....people do not want to get up and leave when their time is up.  They want to chit-chat with me, linger in my office and just won't leave!!!!!  It is much easier to hang up on a person when their time is up and you have ended the reading.  ....Ok, thank you very much for calling in, have a beautiful day, God bless, good bye!  Then they say good bye and hang up.

If they are sitting there they ask stuff like....when did you know you were psychic, how does this work, etc.  They want to get into my life history and pick my brain or say.....oh darn, I had a few more questions I forgot to ask....which I will generally answer one more.......but it is hard to get them out the door.  I always hear I could just sit and talk to you all day!

Oh, and whoever mentioned looking up ppl on the computer.....that would just take too much effort!  My clients call in on the spot usually.  If they make an appt I ask for their first name only and they call me.  I do not have much to go on with just a first name.  If I got thousands of $$$ like Syvlia, then it may be worth my trouble, but usually I am watching reruns of Criminal Minds or Law and Order, Chef Ramsey, or Days of our lives when my phone rings! folding laundry and doing housework.

GHOUEST.....those pictures are gonna cost you!   LOL  You would not want to see me first thing in the morning!  LOL

Blessings,

Amethyst
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#9 Inspirationaltarot

Inspirationaltarot

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

View Postmoiraesfate, on 26 March 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

The reason I'd want it to be in person is because I'd question how a psychic could possibly know anything about the person from that distance and with so much technology between them. A person generates energy and an aura. To me, it would seem natural that these would impact the reading. By not being in the persons presence, you wouldn't be able to read these things, especially over the phone which means they could could very easily be wrong.

HI, I have a really successful tarot business and read over the phone for 99% of my clients all over the world. My clients are always saying how much I help them and how much I know about their lives. I think it's just a gift. You either have it or you don't. I don't need the person in front of me to read. I can feel them from even 20,000 miles away... and to tell you the truth it's a phenomena...  I also prefer no visual over skype etc... xx Much love and encouragement to those that maybe just need practice! xx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users