• 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:22 PM

Do you think clowns are Satin's actors? investigate.gif  Picture 562.gif

#2 SAI

SAI

Orb

• GS Member
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Well, my name is Sharon. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart since I was 18. We have 2 beautiful boys - Zeke (3) and Eli, my youngest, was born Sept. 2007. I have a weinie dog (Roxie) that I love. I'm a nurse and I work for an OBGYN. <br /> I enjoy spending time with my family, reading, watching movies, cartoons, national geographic, scifi, etc. <br /> I like watching anything about science, history, anything that is strange, or makes me think and question things.<br /> If there's anything else that you want to know feel free to ask.

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

Nope. I honestly don't understand why people are so afraid of them. I know that clowns are often portrayed as evil or the scary bad guy in movies but I think in real life they're just people having fun or trying to make a living. But maybe I'm the only one who feels that way. Picture 562.gif

#3 skateb12

skateb12

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

i do not believe that clowns are that scary, i think clowns are just portrayed badly in movies and it gives people a bad  feeling with them

#4 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

My parents are clowns (as a hobby/post retirement job) having been a government worker and a teacher previously.

They're pretty normal... well at least normal in comparison to ME. biggrin.gif

#5 Dem0000

Dem0000

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE(skateb12 @ Apr 22 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i do not believe that clowns are that scary, i think clowns are just portrayed badly in movies and it gives people a bad  feeling with them

Clowns are just creepy, not really scary and they have been, for me, since before the movies that portrayed them as evil (sorry Trin, guess I'm not gonna be a customer for your parents, lol).  It's just "something" about them... same thing goes for "Alice in Wonderland" - I don't like to watch that movie, creepy.

As far as "Do you think clowns are Satin's actors?", I think that anything can be Satin's actors... I do not think that all members of any category are one way or the other.

Edited by Dem0000, 23 April 2008 - 04:38 AM.

Work like you don't need the money; Love like you've never been hurt; Dance like nobody's watching!

#6 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:48 AM

Dem, it's Ok... my mom gets really really mad at the people who bring small kids, who aren't ready for the idea of a clown OR for that matter Santa, and push the kid at the clown ("Go see the funny clown! Go ON don't be a CHICKEN." ) or plop him on Santa's lap, even thought the kid is clearly hesitant, or scared before they even get that close.

(I HATE hate HATE the photos of small children who are on Santa or the Easter Bunny's lap screaming or crying. If you kid is scared DON't Plop them right on someone's lap, OR act like it's funny or cute... )

My mom suspects that's probably the basis of a lot of adults with "clown fears" (in addition to horror movies)... and is learning ways to gently encourage pushy/psychologically abusive parents, to let the kids stand back and observe until they're ready to approach on their own.

Consider this my PSA for the day.

#7 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,972 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:11 AM

Hehe you mean "satan", and not the fabric, right?    devil.gif

I never got why clowns scare some people, I always thought they were funny. The only thing that can make a clown creepy is when you see one in the movies playing against type....a clown is supposed to be happy and friendly, but that image killing people is quite a juxtaposition.

Edited by Vlawde, 23 April 2008 - 05:12 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Gizmo

Gizmo

Gremlin

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

You know what the op meant, Vlawde. mad0218.gif

As far as I know, clowns in general were never meant to be seen as evil until they were portrayed that way on film.  They still aren't.

Posted Image

#9 CouriseTeen

CouriseTeen

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

i think when your little the idea of a complete stranger in goffy makeup geting all up in your face is a little frightning but i for one am not sacred of clown and hey i listen Insane Clown Posie now those are some messed up clowns. But i don't think all clowns are evil now im not saying every single is a good guy but its not nice to sterotype them like that it's saying all Germans are Nazis or all black pepole are Gangsters its just not cool.

fighting0072.gif

If all those on Olympus would deny me my vengeance, then all of Olympus will die.

#10 risendemon

risendemon

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

When I t hink of "Jhon Gacies" but that might just be me. Picture 562.gif

#11 mizzwaves

mizzwaves

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:ASIDE FROM BEING A SUPERNATURAL BUFF I WATCH A LOT OF MOVIES AND T.V. I MEAN A LOT. REALLY. A LOT. AS LONG AS IT'S GOOD, I'LL WATCH IT. OF COURSE ONE OF MY FAVORITE SHOWS IS T.A.P.S. I REALLY DON'T GET NEARLY ENOUGH SLEEP SO I DO THAT WHENEVER I CAN. I HAVE THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS DREAMS SO I'M KINDA BIG INTO DREAM INTERPRETATION ALSO. I WOULD CALL MYSELF A SENSITIVE. I WON'T GET MAD IF YOU DON'T. I WENT A WHOLE WEEK ONCE IN A CONSTANT STATE OF DE JA VU. AS IF WHEN IT HAPPENS OCCASIONALLY ISN'T UNNERVING ENOUGH. ANYWAYS...THAT'S ME.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

I agree with it not being right for a parent to plop a kid in Santa's lap or force them to get all close to a Clown or anthing else of the like. I personally don't care for anyone in clown face or mascot types. You don't know who's in there. And they are pushy!!! It's like Ha!Ha! now go away, and they just push and push and push. I despise Chuck E. Cheese and the characters at Disneyland or Magic Mountain and the Red Robin bird. People know this about me and will tell the hostess it's my birthday when it's not just to tick me off and freak me out. Those characters are lucky I have some restraint or else there would be a whole lot of one armed mascots on the loose.

"NO GOOD WITHOUT EVIL...
NO INNOCENCE WITHOUT LUST...
NO LIGHT WITHOUT ME...
I AM DARKNESS"
THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS
FROM THE MOVIE LEGEND

#12 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE(mizzwaves @ Apr 24 2008, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with it not being right for a parent to plop a kid in Santa's lap or force them to get all close to a Clown or anthing else of the like. I personally don't care for anyone in clown face or mascot types. You don't know who's in there. And they are pushy!!! It's like Ha!Ha! now go away, and they just push and push and push. I despise Chuck E. Cheese and the characters at Disneyland or Magic Mountain and the Red Robin bird. People know this about me and will tell the hostess it's my birthday when it's not just to tick me off and freak me out. Those characters are lucky I have some restraint or else there would be a whole lot of one armed mascots on the loose.

Lol I am EXACTLY ths same. People dressed up annoy me no end. They seem to know to pick on me though. They make me want to scream GET OUT OF MY FACE...
"True Love Is Like Ghosts, Which Everyone Talks About But Few Have Seen"

#13 Gizmo

Gizmo

Gremlin

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:36 AM

John Wayne Gacy was an evil person, not because he was a clown.  He dressed up as one to lure those kids into his trap.

Posted Image

#14 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE(mizzwaves @ Apr 23 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An trained clown or mascot will NOT be pushy and will wait to be approached by a person.

If someone tells them "Hey it's Mizz's birthday" the poor person in a suit (usually some teen employee stuck with the job and given little or NO training) has been set up.  

Out of curiosity, did anyone know that clowns (as a community/guild type association) have a code of ethics?  They're severely offended by people who use clowing, or clown make up to commit crimes or abuse people. (I don't think there's ever been a case involving a trained "certified" clown being involved in anything nasty... they tend to weed those types out pretty quickly.  Learning to be a proper clown is really a LOT of work.)

#15 karmacae

karmacae

"Codladh samh?"

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Family, life, art and antiques

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

lol, only in It are they the devils actors. Though I do have a fear of overly happy people, and Clowns are no exception. They are too happy for me, I fear they might explode some unresulved issue at any moment without warning....Like that welches grape juice girl. she scares me
Ní thuigeann an seach an seang

#16 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

I agree with trin 100%. Parents who force their kids on Santa's lap are being selfish because they want a picture of their kid on Santa's lap like everyone else does. But then other parents are just as guilty because you can't very well say that you don't have any photos of your kid on Santa's lap (or the Easter Bunny or whoever) because your child doesn't feel comfortable around those people who are dressed up. "Doesn't like Santa? What's wrong with your child?" Well... nothing is wrong with my child, he/she just doesn't feel comfortable around Santa. I think too often parents forget that while they need to teach a child, that child is also an individual needing to form his or her own identity.

Mizz... I don't think I ever want to visit Disneyland after what you've just said. Sounds like it's completely the opposite of WDW. At the Florida park, it's the kids flocking to see the characters. Each character or set of characters has one spot they go to and pose for photos. The only time I've witnessed characters going around to the kids themselves was at a character breakfast and more often than not if the kid got upset, the person in the suit moved on.

As far as those costumed characters go, from a child's point of view, they look even more inhuman than a clown and a kid might be afraid of being taken away, but if mom or dad are right there, assuring them, it's less intimidating.

#17 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:06 AM

...and they probably don't move around much as in the Big-Head costumes the actor/ess can't see carp.  

They're actually in some danger of tripping over a small child, so they move rather slowly and deliberately.

#18 Ubriaca

Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

Ohhh! I think the Disneyland characters are great and do the best they can!
I haven't ever seen them overly aggressive, although the little children that attack them are CRAZY, and when I say attack, I mean it. Those poor kids/college students get jumped on and pulled on all day long and they aren't even allowed to utter a sound.

As for Clowns, I say BRING THEM BACK!!!
Satan's Actors...puuuuuleeeeezzzzz!  style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif
Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

#19 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(trin @ Apr 24 2008, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and they probably don't move around much as in the Big-Head costumes the actor/ess can't see carp.  

They're actually in some danger of tripping over a small child, so they move rather slowly and deliberately.

Last weekend I saw an episode of 'How It's Made' where they show how they make these costumes. It was kinda nifty.

#20 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

I too am lost as to why people have such an amazing fear of clowns. My pal Kyle is 23 and cries when he sees a clown and literally starts shaking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users