#1 Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

Hi All,
I am trying to get healthy and lose weight.
Currently, I am doing the Atkins Induction, so no carbs for a few weeks except for what comes in veggies.

If you have any recipes that might go with my diet that are healthy too, I would love to hear suggestions.
I don't know how much longer I can go on lettuce wrapped hamburgers, ugh!
C~
My Signature
Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

#2 Lil

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:25 PM

When I decided to lose weight I just cut back on portions at meal time, cut back on fried foods, potato chips(my favorite snack back then) and baked/broiled more.I ate fruits,veggies,cheerios, low fat cheese, yogurt (there are lots of option) for snacks if I felt hungry. There are  100 calorie packs now if you have a sweet craving just don't eat them all at once. The most important thing is to drink lots of water and exersise. I hear the groans about exersise. What I did was start walking and got to where I was walking close to 35 miles a wk. It took me 18 months to lose 40 pounds it was timely but well worth it.

I tried dieting and nothing seemed to work for me so I decided to try the above and it paid off for me. I have no recipes only suggestions on how I lost the weight.

Good luck. Stay strong especially when you feel the gotta have that bowl of ice ceam or brownies, I slipped alot and over ate or ate things I knew I shouldn't in the begining
My Signature
A memory lasts forever.
Never does it die.
True friends stay together.
And never say goodbye.
Anonymous

#3 HocusPocus

ghost@ghost.com

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, real life mysteries.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:34 PM

I wish the best of luck on the Atkins.  Do to my thyroid my doctor said I should not be doing the Atkins.

You can pretty much make anything healthy.  So it really depends on what you would like.

For something quick and easy you can put a fish fillet and veggies with some seasoning in one of those glad steamer bags toss it in the microwave for about 5 mins or so and have yourself dinner.

Here is a Pork Chop recipe someone gave me:
Ingredients
2 pork chops
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1-1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
1/2 cup white wine

Directions
  1. Sprinkle garlic salt on both sides of the pork chops. The garlic salt should pretty well cover the chops.
  2. Pour a little olive oil or other cooking oil into a skillet. Put the pork chops in the frying pan and place fennel seeds on top of the pork chops. 10 to 15 fennel seeds per pork chop will probably do. Let the underside of the pork chop brown then turn over. Once both sides are browned flip again.
  3. Pour the wine into frying pan; cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes and flip the pork chops over. Cover them again and let them simmer for another 10 minutes. Make sure the wine doesn't completely evaporate or the pork chops will burn. You may have to add a little more wine to the pan.

Calories 134
Protein 10g
Total Fat 5g
Sodium 2742mg
Cholesterol 26mg
Carbohydrates 2g
Fiber 1g

(I even have a low fat recipe for Carrot Cake some place.  If I can find it I will post it).

#4 trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:12 AM

I'm personally not so sure a meat heavy diet is actually healthier for anyone or will lead to long term weight loss.  Sure it's low carb and has lots of protein, but you also have to be careful to avoid driving up your fat intake.

Be sure to talk to your doctor first, or a nutritionist, and maybe join an exercise program.

how about tortilla wraps?  It's not NO-carb, but it will be less carbs than a bun.

fresh grilled fish or chicken is a good meal. with veggies on the side.

(and don't forget to watch the soft drinks, they are full of things that are horrible for you, Lots and lots of sugars, <asparteme may not be any better for you than High Fructose Corn Syrup> and the carbonation is heck on your teeth... )

how about grilling your burger in marinates/sauces to perk up the flavor, and then have it with just the sauce on it?

Use a meat heavy spagetti sauce over spinnach or other vegetable (non lettuce) salad?

My Signature

#5 JennLynn

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Anything that makes you go &quot;hmmmmmm?????&quot;

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:52 AM

Kabobs would probably be good on the Adkins.  Lean meat, onions, peppers, tomatoes, any kind of vegie works.  Stir fry would also be good and you can get the frozen stir fry bags for a pretty cheap price.

#6 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:58 AM

How skilled a cook are you?

Search on vegetarian cooking (look for heavy on the veggies, light on potatoes and frying).

Here are a couple links for food I make all the time:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/finnish-style...kka/detail.aspx (instead of the roast I usually use about 3/4 lb cut up stew meat because it's a "tag-ends" sort of meal... and instead of potatoes that are heavy on starch use turnips and rutabaga and squash).

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/indian/ (find vegetable dishes without a ton of oil... and use basmati rice, it's high in protein, low in starch).

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Everyday-Coo...arian/Main.aspx

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/vegetables/vegetarian/

http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/index.html

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/crockpo...rkpot-coll.html

Atkin's isn't very good for you... you lose all that weight because of malnutrition you know... but if you're set on it you can find vegetarian dishes that fit in with the Atkin's diet and are healthier for you than the lettuce-wrapped bacon cheeseburgers.

There are also millions of Atkins sites:

http://www.atkins.com/recipes

http://www.freecookingrecipes.net/recipes/atkins-diet.html

http://www.low-carb-diet-recipes.com/

http://www.everythingatkins.net/
My Signature
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#7 fbjewels

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:My kids, Reading, the Paranormal, Useless Movie Trivia

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:50 PM

I have lots to say about this, Ubriaca - PM me! smile.gif

Edited by fbjewels, 08 June 2008 - 06:53 PM.

#8 Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:04 AM

Gosh! Thank you so much!!!
All those websites and ideas are awesome.
That is exactly why I posted here. Like Trin said, I don't want the high fat content, but at the same time, I am cutting carbs.
I wanted to do the induction because typically, diets have never worked for me (save NS, but it was $$$$ and I still had to do a ton of shopping for the fresh stuff to add)
I have heard through the grapevine that the Induction is there just to motivate you and make you feel you are losing weight so you keep on consciously eating.
FB, I did PM you. I will be interested to hear what you have to say.

OH, the reason I am doing this is also because I am traveling and will have to wear a bikini in 3 weeks...NOOOO!!!!!! fighting0072.gif
My Signature

#9 BrxGhostWriter

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:55 PM

I too am not one who thinks the Atkins way is the best way, but I ahve a sister who is very overweight and decided to try to do something about it last year. she looked at Atkins and South Beach and chose South Beach because it seemed more like "normal" eating to her and wasn't as strict, so she knew she would be more likely to stick with it; plus she felt it was a healthier way of life.

Anyway, in a month she lost 20 pounds; granted, she has lots more to lose, but she was faithful to it, and it worked. Then, some stressful things happened to her and she fell off the south beach wagon and has pretty much gained it all back. But, she at least knows that SB has worked for her in the past and may work for her in the future, plus, she found some recipes from their books and websites that she actually likes and still makes, adn they are healthier than what she would normally it.

I wish you good luck with this; it's so hard to lose weight. You seem to be a very determined person, so I am sure you will do great.

Nicole

#10 citrinecastle

Priestess of Poo

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Interests:Stalking GS moderators, discussing horrific bowel movements and all that is stinky, cat speaking, eating bubble wrap

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:52 PM

Want my suggestion? ATKIN'S BITES. Sure, you'll lose weight.....for a little while anyway. Stay on it long enough and you'll lose muscle (I had weird dips in my arms and thighs because of this diet). You'll end up with cholesterol problems and your blood sugar will go insane. You'll also end up with that greasy bloated feeling.

Been on this diet. Know LOADS of people that were on it too. Same problems.

Try eating what you want but doing portion control. Watch your sugar and sodium. Do whatever light exercise you can to start with.

These 'FAD' diets will hurt you more than anything. There is NO POINT to eliminating a food group. I will say that white flours and white sugar as well as anything with high fructose corn syrup are good things to eliminate as much as you can, but you NEED all your food groups.

Take it from someone who's been on every diet out there. I refuse to diet anymore. Haven't for 7 years...just watch what I'm doing more or less and haven't had a problem since.

Want healthy food ideas? Well, what do you crave or LIKE? If it's unhealthy, there's always a way around that. *grins*

Seriously.....Atkins is no good.  In the long run. You'd be better of going vegan and I don't even find THAT healthy (and I WAS one for 5 years)

Haven't you heard that comment 'diets make you fat'?

It's true.
My Signature

Posted Image

http://www.myspace.com/citrinecastle

Ask Me About My Bowel Movements, I Dare You

No...Let's NOT Talk About My Bowel Movements You Rascally Evil Mod, You

#11 soraya

Orb

• GS Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:37 PM

Run..walk..swim..bike...thats how you take it off.And just eat as good as you can. but, you must move.Make a goal for your self..a 10k ,a half marathon ,a full marathon, a Triathlon..you can do it if you put your mind to it.Swim a open water event..anything.Good luck. But if you work out..you can eat better food!
My Signature
The wrongest thing one can do is shut one self off to new things-Susannah York

#12 Beatlefish

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, conspiracy theories, real life mysteries.

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

If you drink sodas STOP the soft drinks diet and otherwise). My doctor told me that artificial sweeteners make you fat . That it messes up your natural chemicals in your body. I haven't had a soda since April and to my surprise I don't miss it  and I am losing weight. smile.gif He told me drink water it could be flavored just not sweetened of course I can't do what I'm told and have been drinking tea sweetened real sugar. I'll work on that another time. lol

#13 Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:36 PM

I am def. only doing Atkins Induction until I go on my trip.
After that I am DUNZO with it smile.gif

I cut out soda completely two months ago, and have noticed that my skin seems better. And I am not so...ummmmm....gassy.  ashamed0002.gif
I slipped today though and had a can of diet coke.

I have gallbladder and kidney stone issues, so I cannot take any of the OTC diet pills (Alli?). This is the same reason I stopped the soda.

I do excercise, but I still want the fast results for my trip.
After that, I am planning on maintaining very very low carbs though.
My dad has Celiac and it runs in the family, so I will be cutting out gluten and anything processed, refined or white.
And NO CORN.
Did you guys know that corn is in everything practically? All of our meat is corn fed, and now our fish farms are corn fed too!
And we use it instead of sugar sweeteners (I like Stevia personally).
It's in most everything breaded. Heck, we even use it instead of gasoline, which is EASIER and Environmentally more safe to create and use than Corn Ethanol.
Supposedly, it's because it's subsidized by our govt. So we have waaaayyyy too much of it. I think it is a big contributor to our nations weight problem. And because it is in everything, it is very difficult to control your intake.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE fresh corn on the cob. It's "disguised" corn that I have the problem with.

Sorry to rant.
Thanks for all the help and opinions, as always, I appreciate them all.

Edited by Ubriaca, 11 June 2008 - 04:36 PM.

My Signature

#14 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,031 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

I lost 60 or so pounds on the Atkins induction, you can stay on it for as long as 6 months safely, although that is a little drastic. Since i dropped the weight I do induction Sunday into Friday, then Friday night/Saturday I do what I want. It works great, although it is boring....good in a way because you are sick of the same stuff every day and eat less.

Walking daily is a great way to tone and lose weight
My Signature
Posted Image

#15 GhostlyGrace

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Freaking people out with my thoughts & dreams

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

The two most evil words I know....  Healthy foods.. ewwwwwwwwww  lol  

Just wanted to say good to everybody trying to lose weight.
My Signature

Posted Image

#16 Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:06 PM

This is something simple we make at our house. Its about 250-300 calories for a serving. And a serving is HUGE and filling.

now...let me preface this by saying it sounds absolutely putrid.... sick.gif , but it's really really GOOD  happy0045.gif   and easy.  Takes about 15 minutes!

Open a can of black beans and a can of red beans into a collander and rinse them off.
Dump them into a big sauce pan, and add a can of white peg corn and a can of fiesta yellow corn.

Add half a package of fajita seasoning.

Slice 2 chicken breasts into fajita tyle slices and cook them in a large skillet. When they're almost done, add the rest of the fajita seasoning, stir, and dump in the veggies.

Let it simmer for about another 5 minutes.

Pour about 1.5 cups of this mixture over romaine lettuce, and top with light or soy shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream.  Add a little salsa on top and VOILA!

Easy, quick, good.....

it has lots of fiber, loads of protein, and every basic food group once you add the cheese and sour cream.  The sauce from the mixture kind of trickles down into the lettuce and kind of dresses it.  The romaine is also sturdy enough that it doesn't wilt from the hot mixture on top.

Don't knock it till you try it!!
My Signature

Everyone Needs a Family Sanitorium...

"The wages of coming through life unscathed....is going through life untouched." --  me.

#17 soraya

Orb

• GS Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

Why is'nt anyone talking about working out.It is the real way to to lose weight in a healthy way. It will make you feel better,you will like your body more.Your body will like you more.And you will be happy.find something you like and get better at it.And you will lose weight..promise.Walking is not doing it? try jogging.Cycling,swimming.Have fun.Its all good.
My Signature
The wrongest thing one can do is shut one self off to new things-Susannah York

#18 citrinecastle

Priestess of Poo

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Interests:Stalking GS moderators, discussing horrific bowel movements and all that is stinky, cat speaking, eating bubble wrap

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE(Dami @ Jun 11 2008, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is something simple we make at our house. Its about 250-300 calories for a serving. And a serving is HUGE and filling.

now...let me preface this by saying it sounds absolutely putrid.... sick.gif , but it's really really GOOD  happy0045.gif   and easy.  Takes about 15 minutes!

Open a can of black beans and a can of red beans into a collander and rinse them off.
Dump them into a big sauce pan, and add a can of white peg corn and a can of fiesta yellow corn.

Add half a package of fajita seasoning.

Slice 2 chicken breasts into fajita tyle slices and cook them in a large skillet. When they're almost done, add the rest of the fajita seasoning, stir, and dump in the veggies.

Let it simmer for about another 5 minutes.

Pour about 1.5 cups of this mixture over romaine lettuce, and top with light or soy shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream.  Add a little salsa on top and VOILA!

Easy, quick, good.....

it has lots of fiber, loads of protein, and every basic food group once you add the cheese and sour cream.  The sauce from the mixture kind of trickles down into the lettuce and kind of dresses it.  The romaine is also sturdy enough that it doesn't wilt from the hot mixture on top.

Don't knock it till you try it!!

Sounds good to me!  And EASY.

QUOTE(soraya @ Jun 11 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is'nt anyone talking about working out.It is the real way to to lose weight in a healthy way. It will make you feel better,you will like your body more.Your body will like you more.And you will be happy.find something you like and get better at it.And you will lose weight..promise.Walking is not doing it? try jogging.Cycling,swimming.Have fun.Its all good.

Well, lots of people hate the term 'exercise'. My spouse is one of them. I don't bring up the 'E' word unless someone specifically asks me something. I'm like the fitness guru....that doesn't exercise any more, lol. I've done yoga, kick boxing (before Billy the Butthead's Tae Bo), Karate, belly dancing, Richard Simmons (for entertainment value) Tae Bo, Tai Chi (boooooring), weight training and Pilates. Some ballet too...helped a dancer with weight training and she in turn taught me dance warm ups as well as dance (the latter was wasted on me because I suppose I'm too white to dance)

Weight training, pilates and yoga work very well. So does belly dance IF you can dance (took me 8 months to master the BEGINNER if that gives you a clue how uncoordinated I am). There IS a 4 week weight training routine I've done several times that gaurantees you lose 2-4 dress sizes. I swear by it. Can't recall the book I got it from (written by a wife of a body builder in the 80's) but I know the routine by heart. If you might be interested, let me know. I can tell you the routine and even find you detailed instructions on how to do each move.

Speaking of which, I need to start doing it myself again now that I got me an exercise mat (hardwood floors in this place).

My Signature

Posted Image

http://www.myspace.com/citrinecastle

Ask Me About My Bowel Movements, I Dare You

No...Let's NOT Talk About My Bowel Movements You Rascally Evil Mod, You

#19 Beatlefish

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, conspiracy theories, real life mysteries.

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE(soraya @ Jun 11 2008, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a bad back and would like to try yoga or something like it ,I'd love to have a Wii Fit you can do yoga and fun stuff but I can't afford one right now sad.gif

#20 GhostlyGrace

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Freaking people out with my thoughts & dreams

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:12 AM

Too many people have body problems that prevent exercise or at least make them do different exercises than "normal" people.   You could tell a person to take a walk to burn calories but for someone like me with rheumatoid arthritis, walking isn't always good to do or even possible.

At least with food, more people have great ideas that people can follow through with.  Unless you're like me who refuses to eat healthy food. lol  I eat what I want, I just use portion control and try eat lower calorie food or fat free if it doesn't effect taste.   If I tried to switch to a healthy diet of what is deemed the right foods, I'd be setting myself up for atuomatic failure because I don't like those foods and know I won't eat them.  I've lost over 70 lbs eating my way and have about 10 to 15 more lbs to go.
My Signature

Posted Image

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com