12 replies to this topic

#1 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

Does anyone here have a personal cell and then one just for work? What do you think of this? If you do have one for work, does the job pay for it, do you have a plan yourself, or do you just use pay as you go?

#2 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:03 PM

I did a looong time ago ... work paid for it. This was back in the not-so-smartphone dark ages and it was "ok" I mostly only carried one at any given time so it seemed kind of silly to have two.

Now I have multiple numbers and use the simultaneous ring option and redirects by time so I only need one phone now :yes:

As for who pays ... technically I do BUT I am Uber pHone Geek Man Posted Image  so I use the Android Tasker App to automagically route phone calls through the web when I'm near a trusted wifi connection and at home I use an Obihai device so I don't pay for any landlines :no:

I pay for two cellphones one for me and one for my parents and ALL together it costs on average $17.50 per month and yes that's for two lines.

If work will pay for a second phone then go ahead it's ok just a little lame. On the other hand if you can try using a second number with simultaneous ring. Gmail gives it to you free though you will need to set things up through google voice.

Alternatively and one that is probably too tricky for most people to setup for themselves unless they are really motivated ... you may want to consider a VoIP service. I use VestaLink and they have been really great BUT they and many VoIP services get a bad wrap with people not understanding how things work or what they need to do. However, you get tons more options and I pay $2 per month.
- siguie -

#3 kevinscan

kevinscan

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    Friends
    Horror & Sci-fi
    A good mystery
    Star Wars
    Hiking

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

If they give you a phone is that like a beeper?  your on call 24 / 7.
Posted Image

"Ghosts are not conscious entities, but emotional energy recorded in matter"

Sir Oliver Lodge

#4 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

Nope but my personal phone is pretty much used as a work phone so I wouldn't mind them paying for some of it!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#5 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:12 AM

LOL, in Australia the police look closely at you if you have 2 phones :shocked:  they think you have nefarious work ethics.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#6 Essiepessie

Essiepessie

Apport

• GS Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:04 AM

Personal i don't have a clue. I'm not even allowed to bring my personal phone to work. It has to stay in the car or at home.

If i had to have one for work , i would't let my boss pay for it.
The boss has to supply you so that you can do your job correctly.
Sometimes I pretend to be normal...but it gets boring..so I go back to being me.Posted Image

#7 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:47 PM

I got a really cheap one at a black friday sale, for $8. But I am NOT impressed. The only difference between the two is that it's not a contract. It's supposed to be a prepaid. So why bother? This is insane. Why would I do that when I have the same with the NEXT plan?

#8 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:38 AM

View Postmoiraesfate, on 24 November 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

I got a really cheap one at a black friday sale, for $8. But I am NOT impressed. The only difference between the two is that it's not a contract. It's supposed to be a prepaid. So why bother? This is insane. Why would I do that when I have the same with the NEXT plan?

Is it a requirement for work that you have a second phone? If so I am not too sure why they would want you to have a second phone; is work paying the prepaid?
Posted Image

#9 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

No, it isn't. But I like to play with my phone. I play games, surf the net, etc. And the phone doesn't go off if I'm doing either of those and get a message or a call.

#10 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:03 PM

lol true Klainey, if you have two phones people think you're a criminal hahahaha
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#11 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:07 AM

View Postmoiraesfate, on 27 November 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

No, it isn't. But I like to play with my phone. I play games, surf the net, etc. And the phone doesn't go off if I'm doing either of those and get a message or a call.

I needed to have a mobile phone for work when I used to be on call. The hospital never paid for it but I could claim it in my tax.  So your original phone that you play your games on won't let incoming calls or messages come to your phone while you are playing? Do you have a landline because if work couldn't get me on the mobile phone they would ring my landline? Anyway, I dislike getting work calls when I am not rostered on!
Posted Image

#12 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:12 AM

Have you looked for any solutions on the net because I would think you should be able to receive calls and messages while playing games and using the net
Posted Image

#13 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,006 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:07 AM

That's odd, most phones will ring/receive texts no matter what you're doing on them
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users