37 replies to this topic

#21 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:10 PM

There are quite a few movies that scared me when I first saw them as a child...of course they don't have that effect now.  It takes a lot to creep me out now.  At most, some movies disturb me, but I can't remember any recent experiences of wanting to hide behind a pillow while watching.  biggrin.gif  Anyway, movies that creeped me out as a kid:

The Haunting (original black & white version...the opening monologue gave me such chills)

Night of the Living Dead (80s remake)

Fright Night

The Changeling (one of the FEW to still give me goosebumps, despite having seen it fifty or so times)

Creepshow

Flatliners

It

#22 lissybird

lissybird

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:12 PM

Salem's Lot - I agree, definitely creepy! yes.gif

Another that terrified me as a child was a movie called The Children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFhzyxs66vo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080527/
Since Summer 2005, haunting GS/PS
Prissy Lissy!
Formerly eaj (elizabeth anne jane) and tara juliet
Pooky Fan!

#23 EMPEROR_SO

EMPEROR_SO

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:33 PM

The Stephen King "IT". The first time is saw it i was 8 year old and i still hate clowns
imdb

#24 Qryche33

Qryche33

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Ghosthunting, fishing, watching reality tv.

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

The original The Hills Have Eyes.........made me sick to my stomach!
user posted image

#25 fbjewels

fbjewels

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:My kids, Reading, the Paranormal, Useless Movie Trivia

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:55 PM

IT never scared me...I guess it's because I knew that the clown was Tim Curry, and I can't think of him without picturing Rocky Horror. :P   However, I don't really care for clowns as a rule.  I could have also really done without the giant spider.  Why does every freaking movie have to have a giant spider??!!??

Along those lines, I guess I'll add Something Wicked This Way Comes to my list of movies that creeped me out as a kid.

Edited by fbjewels, 22 April 2008 - 04:57 PM.

#26 Linduriel

Linduriel

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:My husband, loud music, reality shows, So You Think You Can Dance!!!, fantasy novels (just finished A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin), gross movies, Norse mythology, babies, and my cats...

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

Dead Alive, definetly...the scene with the bowl...ack!

House of Wax...the original

The Hills Have Eyes...the original

Dr. Caligari's Cupboard...silent movie, but oh so freaky!

Children of the Corn...scared me to pieces when I was little...

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?....disturbing at its finest...

The Bad Seed...the original...now that was one twisted little girl...

I am sure that I have missed some...they just don't make 'em like they used to...

Edited by Linduriel, 22 April 2008 - 08:51 PM.

#27 Kayhdelo

Kayhdelo

EVP

• GS Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE(EMPEROR_SO @ Apr 22 2008, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Stephen King "IT". The first time is saw it i was 8 year old and i still hate clowns
imdb

OMG!  This was the movie that I believe started my fear of closets and under the bed... To this day I'm still leary of closets and yes, all the mattresses in the house are on the floor.  I've watched "It" several times since the first time I saw it when I was 7 or 8, but the first time really scared the holy bejezus out of me!
Just because you can't see something, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist... Just because you can see something doesn't make it real

#28 flirtswithdisaster

flirtswithdisaster

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:57 AM

regarding that eye on the shoulder movie, I think the eye eventually grew into a whole head!

#29 Beatlefish

Beatlefish

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, conspiracy theories, real life mysteries.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

eeeeeeeeeeew! ^^ at the head

What ever happened to Baby Jane ?,both versions were creepy but I think the Bette Davis/Joan Crawford  may win the creep factor award lol I think the Redgrave sisters did the remake.

The bad seed yeah the original .....her and her tap shoes.........poor gardener/maintenance  

Rosmarys baby stil disturbs me "Its eyes what have you done to its eyes" "He has his fathers eyes"  was quite a line but the whole neighbors into devil worship creeped me out more. Those were some creepy neighbors. huh.gif

#30 Irish Mutt

Irish Mutt

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, History, and seeking understanding

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:21 PM

How about being just a kid and being taken to see that great family film The Shining. I gave up sleeping for a week.Come play with us!!!!!!!!         J

Thanks to SilentWalker for the great sig

#31 Irish Mutts Girl

Irish Mutts Girl

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:I like anything to do with the paranormal, watching scary movies, and just hanging out with my son and husband.

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

I can remember the first scary movie i seen. It was an old movie from the sixties that came on television called The Birds. I begged my grandma to let me watch it. She said no that i would get to scared. Finally she gave in. For about 2 weeks afterward I slept in between my grandma and grandpa. I was terrified of birds after that until i got a little bit older. I also thought poltergiest was scary, I still think that movie is pretty good.

Thanks SilentWalker for the neat sig

#32 gummblefish

gummblefish

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

Don't Look Back with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie still freaks me out a bit, I love it. The wickerman has the same Effect except when i remember Edward Woodward in The terrible 80's show "The Equiliser". Its Just a Creepy Film. Actually Edward Woodwards name with out the D's Is Ewar Woo War ...now that is Creepy   Picture 483.gif

#33 Irish Mutts Girl

Irish Mutts Girl

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:I like anything to do with the paranormal, watching scary movies, and just hanging out with my son and husband.

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(LuvMyWeinerDog @ Apr 22 2008, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know what the titles of the movies were...but there were two that stood out:
One was about a house with a bricked up fireplace (or was it a staircase?)  I don't know.  But the house had these tiny little shrivelled up people living...maybe under the staircase.  And the new owners unbricked it and one by one the little people dragged the new people under wherever they were (fireplace, staircase) until there was no one left.  I think the main character went mad because no one would listen to her when she was telling people what happened.  They finally got her too.

Another show was about a guy who suddenly grew an eye on his shoulder.  Bllllech!  I can't remember the rest of the show, but I'm pretty sure that eye was eeeeevil!!!!

I actually know what movie you are talking about with the eye on the shoulder. It is called "Army Of Darkness" My son loves that trilogy, and watches it over and over again.  It starts off with Evil Dead then Evil Dead 2 then comes Army of Darkness. The eye eventually grows into a whole other person, known as evil Ash.

Thanks SilentWalker for the neat sig

#34 Graf Orlok

Graf Orlok

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

I think the first one is "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark", which I don't think has recieved any kind of special DVD release yet. Here is the IMDB page for it.

I think the film that frightened me the most is "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" which I remember seeing at a theater once. It was a very frightening picture.

#35 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:07 PM

I think it is funny, scary movies that really freaked me out as a child now look so lame. But I think the worse was the exorcist. I saw it at the drive-in aged 15 years old and slept with the light on for the week. It still freaks me out!
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#36 daphnerose

daphnerose

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

The Haunting  old version.  Best ever.

#37 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:46 AM

There was a version of the wizard of oz that i borrowed from the video store when I was a kid, and it had this part at the end where they were singing and dancing (wicked witch and munchkins maybe?) around a tree, I don't know why but it terrified me!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#38 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:01 AM

View PostearthlydelitesGStudy, on 22 July 2018 - 01:46 AM, said:

There was a version of the wizard of oz that i borrowed from the video store when I was a kid, and it had this part at the end where they were singing and dancing (wicked witch and munchkins maybe?) around a tree, I don't know why but it terrified me!

Maybe it was this?

https://en.wikipedia...i/The_Wiz_(film)
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!