73 replies to this topic

#21 Descent01

Descent01

Does not play well with others

• Banned
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:internet, paranormal

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

John Carpenters The Fog circa 1980 is good and i would also recommend the film Day of the Dead circa 1985
The rest of the films on Ghuoest's list are crud really! Prince of Darkness circa 1987 contains a small part played by
Alice Cooper for any fans here.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=iQGqUC707e0

#22 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

I like crud films then lol, i do like cheesey horror.  Have got all the ones you mentioned, although I prefer Dawn Of The Dead.  I had Ken Foree sign my trilogy box set at a meeting :)
"True Love Is Like Ghosts, Which Everyone Talks About But Few Have Seen"

#23 Gaines76

Gaines76

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Piano, Kickboxing, Finance, Economics, Investment, Business, Running and Reading

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

I would suggest Zombieland.

#24 Descent01

Descent01

• Banned
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

The Phantasm films are ok too i have the sphere dvd box set! Rob Zombies House of 1000 corpses is another. The Abominable Dr Phibes films with the late Vincent Price. You have to work from the old Hammer and Amicus releases forward as they had class and a real supernatural feel to them. Today's stuff is just total dross really. No originality, no scripts nothing. The odd gem here and there.

#25 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

Zombieland is brilliant.  I was brought up on hammmer horror, my uncle was a fan and i watched them with him since i was about 5 lol.  I may have a look for some hammers on amazon when I have some 」」」

Phantasms are great, and Rob Zombies 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects are two of my faves :)

#26 Cntgtenf

Cntgtenf

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Studying paranormal phenonmena.....Reading,playing facebook games. Crafts blah blah blah......... ;)

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

View PostVlawde, on 26 May 2011 - 08:33 PM, said:

I really liked Jeepers Creepers, but thought the last 20 minutes or so brought it down to made-for-tv quality. Still well worth watching. Another movie in a similar vein is Darkness Falls
Ok Vlawde you've convinced me I will watch it lol!  :bunny:
I do believe in spooks!
I do believe in spooks!
I do I do I do!-The Cowardly Lion

#27 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

View PostDescent01, on 27 May 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

The rest of the films on Ghuoest's list are crud really!

You must not have seen too many horror films ;)

#28 Descent01

Descent01

• Banned
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

View PostGhuoest, on 28 May 2011 - 10:01 AM, said:

You must not have seen too many horror films ;)
I have seen a hell of a lot of horror films! All sorts of obscure stuff. Have you heard of Unhinged for instance?
I forgot to mention "The Haunting" circa 1963 another great film i have watched many times. That is a great example of quality acting and film production. Not the remake of course that is just a cash in job like they usually are!

Also worth a watch is a film called "The Keep" circa 1983
Synoposis : Nazis are sent to guard an old, mysterious fortress in a Romanian pass. One of them mistakenly releases an unknown force trapped within the walls that harbors a dangerous force that starts wreaking havoc and death upon them, forcing an uneasy alliance with a Jewish professional who can stop it.
http://www.covershut...Cover-24642.jpg
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ieNsNjrsye4

#29 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

Unhinged sounded familiar so i had to look it up. I know why now. It was under a list of banned movie titles that i came across before. The movie came out in 82 and banned in 83. It was released on dvd in 04.

Edited by Ghuoest, 28 May 2011 - 11:36 AM.

#30 Descent01

Descent01

• Banned
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

View PostGhuoest, on 28 May 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

Unhinged sounded familiar so i had to look it up. I know why now. It was under a list of banned movie titles that i came across before. The movie came out in 82 and banned in 83. It was released on dvd in 04.
Yup a stupid mad era when they banned loads of films and cut loads of films for no viable reason in the UK. The Evil Dead, The Exorcist and all the old Bruce Lee films were cut to ribbons. I suppose they have a similar thing going on now with games software.

#31 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:59 AM

I wouldn't say without reason. From what i heard, violence is the UK equivalent to sex and nudity in the US, though the US only goes as far as giving it a harsher rating. Personally it makes more sense to me. Children acting out in violence is far worse than having sex. The same goes for desensitization to violence than seeing nudity.

Another 'cruddy' movie to add to the list - The First Power. :)

#32 Descent01

Descent01

• Banned
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

View PostGhuoest, on 28 May 2011 - 11:59 AM, said:

I wouldn't say without reason. From what i heard, violence is the UK equivalent to sex and nudity in the US, though the US only goes as far as giving it a harsher rating. Personally it makes more sense to me. Children acting out in violence is far worse than having sex. The same goes for desensitization to violence than seeing nudity.

Another 'cruddy' movie to add to the list - The First Power. :)
Well there has been this debate for ages over certain films or games making people go out and commit violent acts. "A Clockwork Orange" for instance there has been, agreed, a couple of copycat killings. But how far do you go? You always get the odd few like that anyway and you cant ban everything based on a very small minority.
If they are the type they will find something to relate to and go out and commit the evil act anyway.
The censorship in the UK over films in the past was plain ridiculous and way over the top. I have seen VHS videos recently of Michael Jackson's "Making Of Thriller" video with a 18 certificate on it even! It was James Ferman retired in 1999 to blame for the stupidity. Totally behind the times and a  draconian bureaucratic idiot. James Ferman was head of the BBFC British Board Of Film Censors at the time. A place where you submit your finished 90 min film or whatever it is and pay 90 pounds a minute for the pleasure of them reviewing and denying your piece of art a certificate without first butchering the contents or blocking it completly from a release!
As i just found out now by referring to trusty old google i noticed dear old James actually passed away in 2002!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=v1r5kespHdE

Edited by Descent01, 28 May 2011 - 12:44 PM.

#33 enoemos

enoemos

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

TrollHunter
extrabanal.tumblr.com

#34 Gaines76

Gaines76

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Piano, Kickboxing, Finance, Economics, Investment, Business, Running and Reading

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

As for Horror Movies, I like:

Puppetmaster (the first one in the series)
The Haunting (1963 Version, the 1999 movie bites)
Suspira
Devour (staring Jensen Ackles)
Zombieland (as I said before)

#35 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,050 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

Ah yeah, Puppetmaster. Full Moon made a lot of movies that were interesting. Cheap and cheesy, but kind of cool
Posted Image

#36 Descent01

Descent01

• Banned
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

View PostVlawde, on 31 May 2011 - 11:35 AM, said:

Ah yeah, Puppetmaster. Full Moon made a lot of movies that were interesting. Cheap and cheesy, but kind of cool
Full Moon came up with some great artwork for the video covers.
Something appealing about the comic book style! http://4.bp.blogspot...g vhs front.jpg
http://img.filmlinks...atch-Online.jpg

Edited by Descent01, 31 May 2011 - 01:21 PM.

#37 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

I was looking through some of my old big box horror videos the other day and just thinking how they don't make covers like they used to lol.

Watched 2 movies tonight "Re-Cut" Don't bother it's awful. and "Beastly" which I really liked, even though I thought I wouldn't.

OMG Gaines, Devour was soooo bad lol.  I only watched it for Ackles.

#38 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the warning! I would've picked it up knowing he was in it. He's in My Bloody Valentine 3-D too, right? Any good?

#39 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:12 PM

The My Bloody Valentine Remake hmmmmm lol. Well, I hate 3D movies so I watched it in 2D and it's quite obvious they put a lot into the shock factor for the 3D (blood coming at the screen etc) So I didn't enjoy it that much and was a bit boring imo.  But then Ackles makes up for it in a lot of ways ;)

#40 Descent01

Descent01

• Banned
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

John Carpenters "The Thing" i found to be very effective and disturbing. A remake of that is due out next year as well!