• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#1 RJuarez

RJuarez

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:57 PM

Here is an image I captured last year in my motel room in Virginia City, Nevada.  Look at the mirror to the right, no reflection.  I also believe there is a second spirit.  You can make out a face over his shoulder.  First image is original and untouched.  I played around with the image and was amazed to see the shadow take the shape of a man.  

#2 muffy1975

muffy1975

Orb

• GS Member
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, videos, gaming, evps, anything interesting to keep me active

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:03 PM

Wow, what a great capture.. that is super creepy.... though what made you take a picture out of nowhere of the hotel room.. i just always wonder why people take pictures of their hotel rooms... it's just wierd to me, unless of course the room was just something so pretty they had to have a pic of it.. anyway, great capture, and i see what you are talking about...
"In sight we are blind, and the blind have sight."

#3 RJuarez

RJuarez

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

The image was taken at The Comstock Lodge.  We left the lamp on so when we returned at night the room would not be dark.  When we arrived the room looked creepy!  I started snapping off some pictures to show my family back home.  We did not experience any paranormal activity.  I took the image last August and was not until this past weekend while looking at our pictures that my wife noticed this one.  I have since contacted the owner of the Lodge and asked if there have been any ghost sightings from guests, she said no.  The only thing she recalls once a couple checking in did not want room number 9.  They had heard it was haunted.  My room was number 8, so maybe 8 and 9 are haunted.

#4 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:39 PM

I think the "face" is just detail from the curtain showing through the shadow. I don't think the position of the shadow requires it to show up in the mirror as a reflection. It could be closer to you that it looks, and could be just far enough to the left to be not picked up by the mirror.

As for what the shadow is, thats difficult to say. In a dimly lit room, with no flash, people can show up like this. But I can't say if it is or isn't. I do think that under those lighting conditions that it could be something quite normal, whether we can identify it or not.

#5 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:36 PM

RJuarez, welcome to Ghoststudy.  I really like this photo and agree that it's quite creepy!  I agree with Snowlord, though, that there are a lot of variables to consider when it comes to low-light shots like this and that it can be difficult to come to a conclusion either way.  

Was there anyone else (friend, family member, significant other, etc.) in the room with you when this shot was taken?  If so, can you be sure that this wasn't them walking around in that part of the room when you took the photo?  I've seen photos of living people that turned out this way due to poor lighting and motion blur, so that's why I'm asking if we can rule this out.

As far as the lack of reflection in the mirror, it looks like the figure might not be standing in line with the mirror.  If you look, you'll see the curtains on the left reflected in the mirror.  The mirror seems to be catching that side of the room, close to the wall/window.  So judging from the angle that the photo was taken, the figure may not be visible in the mirror simply due to its location.  The lack of reflection is interesting, but I think it may be explainable.

Either way, this is a cool photo and I'm glad you posted it.  Right now, I'm not sure what to think of it.  If you're certain that there was nobody else in the room with you (or at least nobody within the frame of the photo), then you might have something here.

#6 visions4life

visions4life

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Day dreaming, drawing,reading ghost stories, watching movies,planting,painting,music,video games,gem stones,writing to my spirit guides. I'm Sum 41's # 1 fan and they know that!!!

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

One of the bestest capture I ever seen!   thanks.gif

#7 Dee Coastal

Dee Coastal

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:29 AM

I like how the left leg seems to disappear into the chair seat.  Nice cap,

Dee

#8 EMPEROR_SO

EMPEROR_SO

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:21 AM

I too good to be true,

I noticed that the left leg doesnt disapper in the Chair : its just crossed

The upper part of the body is covered with a bed sheet you can see that on the second picture (the configuration ot these kind of bed is 3 bed sheet one under the pillow and a second one protecting the big one like that the housekeeping dont have to wash the big one every time, you can see another sheet near the flowers, another big one you normally find in the closet)

I think that they tried to take a picture with the big one from the closet but it didnt make the same effect then they tried with the small one.

I dont know the effect used to make it black shadow.

Its my opinion : i think thats a well done fake

Edited by EMPEROR_SO, 30 April 2008 - 03:22 AM.

#9 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, art, scrapbooking, listening to loud music, reading, photography, writing, are you still reading this? Seriously?

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:09 AM

It really looks like someone standing there.  Yikes!  I can almost make out a fedora type hat on top.  

I agree the "face" is an illusion from the curtain.  Otherwise, if you are serious that no one was standing there - Holy Cow!
Life's a match in a gas tank, don't ever mourn the ebbing tide, just dance on fire and enjoy the ride.

#10 PVenkman

PVenkman

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:35 AM

Cool pic.... thanks for posting it.
Who Ya Gonna Call...

#11 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,759 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:22 AM

A very interesting pic. It COULD be something, but as said above looks too defined too be real. If it wasn't faked, and isn't some photographic anamoly.....
Posted Image

#12 RJuarez

RJuarez

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:33 AM

Some more information for thoses interested in exploring further.  There was absolutley no one else in the room.  I went in alone to set the bed for my daughter.  You'll notice the sheets on the bed are pulled back, that is the reason.  My wife remained in the car just outside with my daughter who was asleep in the car.  So the possibility that I captured one of them is impossible.  I also thought maybe the face was the curtains, but I was not sure and thought I would leave that up to the reader to decide.

About the shadow not being in the mirror; If it were just a shadow, it would follow the drapes and should be in the reflection.  There are many points of reference to see more or less where this shadow was standing.  Another weird thing is the lamp was the only light source in the room.  The shadow figure is casting two of it's own shadows going in different directions.  From what I can see, with the excepions of the shadows outlined in white, the shadows are all consistent with the lamp being the only light source.

The blue and green lines are just for reference.  I have included an image from the day when we arrived.  The daylight pictures were taken because my wife had a good laugh that her mother has the same drapes in her house.  They have a thing going where they joke around that nothing changes at my mother in laws house.  I have been doing some research calling on other motels and business's in the area.  Perhaps I have captured Henry Comstock of the Comstock Lode.  He went insane and killed himself.  Did it in Montana not Nevada but his mine, the richest in history built the town.  Perhaps he has returned.  If there was a soul that would not be settled he would be one.  Having sold his interest cheap not knowing the millions that would be made from it.

This is a genuine spirit/soul. There was no attempt to make this a "fake" what you are seeing is 100% genuine and I feel fortunate to have captured it.

#13 badbeerfairy

badbeerfairy

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(Dee Coastal @ Apr 30 2008, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like how the left leg seems to disappear into the chair seat.  Nice cap,

Dee

Rather than the leg disapearing it looked to me more like the figure is perched on the edge of the chair arm with the leg bent at an angle.  Similar to what someone else said about it being crossed.  If you really are sure that no one else was in the shot then well done!  I love it!!!

x x x
Light of eye and soft of touch, speak ye little, listen much.....

#14 bubba

bubba

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(RJuarez @ Apr 30 2008, 04:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is an image I captured last year in my motel room in Virginia City, Nevada. Look at the mirror to the right, no reflection. I also believe there is a second spirit. You can make out a face over his shoulder. First image is original and untouched. I played around with the image and was amazed to see the shadow take the shape of a man.

Well done, what a fantastic capture, one of the best ive seen now for a while, thankyou for sharing. Jo x

#15 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

Since you feel that the capture is genuine and that natural causes can be ruled out, you could always submit the photo to the GS gallery (make sure you explain why you're able to rule out living people and other natural factors).  Here's the link:

http://www.ghoststudy.com/contact.html

#16 visions4life

visions4life

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Day dreaming, drawing,reading ghost stories, watching movies,planting,painting,music,video games,gem stones,writing to my spirit guides. I'm Sum 41's # 1 fan and they know that!!!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:59 PM

Your getting so popular!! Let's have a ghoststudy party!!

#17 RJuarez

RJuarez

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(AugustineGStudy @ Apr 30 2008, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since you feel that the capture is genuine and that natural causes can be ruled out, you could always submit the photo to the GS gallery (make sure you explain why you're able to rule out living people and other natural factors).  Here's the link:

http://www.ghoststudy.com/contact.html

Just submitted it!

#18 Dem0000

Dem0000

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:12 PM

This is a FABULOUS capture. How fortunate you are!

I ran some filters on it and have come to the conclusion that the two shadows (on the chair and bed) that you thought had come from the spirit (which I do believe it is) did not. The shadow on the chair came from whatever is on the dresser and the shadow on the bed is the shadow of the bedspread - it follows the outline of the folded down bedspread.

I think there is only one spirit here and that the majority of the "shadow person" is actually the shadow being cast by the spirit himself from the lamp. When I used the equalizer filter this is what I got:

As far as the man's face, it is not the curtain. It doesn't match up at all and you can actually see the curtain folds THROUGH his face. I wish I could figure out how to upload a full size picture of a cropped photo, I'm afraid what comes out here may be too small to see the details of the curtain through him. Anyway, compare your capture with the picture of Henry Comstock. Very similar.. same gaze. See below:

Work like you don't need the money; Love like you've never been hurt; Dance like nobody's watching!

#19 bickolette

bickolette

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:40 AM

wow thats a really great capture.
If all natural causes have been ruled out I think you got yourself a genuine shadow ghost capture. Well done.
Cant wait to see it in the gallery  th_2140.gif
Posted Image

#20 Ubriaca

Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:44 AM

I like this pic.
to me, it does not look like a man, but a woman looking at the camera with her hands in her pocket, kind of slouched, standing so her left side is facing the camera...with a dress/skirt and bare legs.

Anyway, what do I know?

I am curious though, with low lit photos, why is it "questionable" what it may be, when you can lighten them up so much digitally? (like Dem and Juarez did?). When you are lightening them up afterward on the computer, it isn't trustworthy?
C~
Edited to add: A lot of people died in Virgina City, NV. Does it have to be someone famous? Just curious, because I notice a lot of people, in general, attribute activity to someone famous as opposed to it just being Josie the local seamstress....

Edited by Ubriaca, 01 May 2008 - 10:50 AM.

Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users