178 replies to this topic

#1 Sunniva

Sunniva

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:39 AM

Apparantly the author Patricia Cornwall has published a book in which she claims that the English painter Walter Sickert is Jack the Ripper.

http://www.casebook.org/dissertations/dst-pamandsickert.html

They say her facts are inaccurate, but it is interesting nevertheless, because - as far as I know - Mr. Sickert has never been suspected for the murders...

#2 cryptid

cryptid

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:54 AM

I read this book about a year ago. It was interesting but I don't think Sickert was JTR. Anyone who would do what Jack did to another human being couldn't function normally in the society Sickert did. Granted WS was not exactly Mr Wonderful and had "issues", but I don't believe they included disembowelling prostitutes.

#3 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:51 AM

WOW that was a great read, I really didn't know much about JTR. thanks for posting it
Be Good!

#4 Mr. Popadopalis25

Mr. Popadopalis25

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location:jamie oliver lifted the floor tile under which he lay and smiled for it would be oliver's next twist
  • Interests:Showing up to work on time.

Posted 06 November 2004 - 12:07 PM

I heard it was a guy who lived in London Ontario, I think.

#5 Guest_thanophile_*

Guest_thanophile_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2004 - 01:09 PM

I have to agree with cryptid here--I don't think Sickert did it. A lot of the data in the book made me wonder exactly *what* he may have been up to, and I think that he identified with the Ripper (under different circumstances, he would probably have been a serial killer in his own right) but I think it ends there.

Personally, I don't have a favored theory as to who did it. I don't think that the actual killer left any evidence as to his real identity, and so, we'll never know.

Out of curiousity, does anyone else have a favorite suspect?

#6 Ladyblue69

Ladyblue69

EVP

• GS Member
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:dancing,dreams,animals,S&M,B&D,Role playing,ghosts,art,music and all things not of this world.

Posted 06 November 2004 - 02:24 PM

I have to disagree with you Cryptid on one fact.Serial killers are offten known to fit extreamely well into society.That's how they get thier victems.When they are finally captured people are shocked to find out who it really is because the person that they know is offten one of the niceist,most strait laced people that they know.It's because serial killers have a way of endearing thier victems to them and getting them to trust them before they kill them.
The Box,You Opened It,I Came.-HellRasier

#7 Smudge

Smudge

Spookyliscious

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:42 PM

Hi
I love anything to do with the Ripper case. I read the Ripper Diaries, and believe them to be authentic. So my prime suspect has to be James Maybrick (ooooh the house he lived in is only 15 mins away from me.. I feel a photo opportunity coming on).

He came from Liverpool and was married to Florence who came from Mobile Alabama. He spent lots of time in London due to his business.

Florence was eventually sentenced to hang when found guilty of poisoning Maybrick. She was given a last minute reprieve and spent her term in jail, before returning back to the USA.  There is just as much controversy about this case as there is about the Ripper story...

In my view Maybrick was the Ripper.

Deb

#8 Guest_HauntedAsylum_*

Guest_HauntedAsylum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:47 PM

I always thought it was good ol' Uncle Eddie Collars and Cuffs.  wink.gif Was there any mention of him at alll Deb?

#9 Lawgiver

Lawgiver

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:00 PM

Oh goody, I love JTR, Just started Philip Sugdens book for the 3rd time. Patricia Cornwells book is fantasy. By the end of the book she had accused Sickert from everything from being JTR to personally responsible to the Fall of the Roman Empire. (slight exageration) Anyway. I have never read any of her other books but if they are all based on that flimsy of evidence, I have no desire to. The only thing she proved in her book was that Sickert may or may not have written some of the letters that are known hoaxes.  Sickert has popped up before as a suspect, starting in the 1970s in the book Royal Conspiracy theory. Then died out again until someone else wrote Sickert and the Ripper crimes in the 1990s that he became a suspect again .

Mr Pop. The guy you are probably thinking of is Dr.Tumblety and he is a great suspect.

Smudge, James Maybrick is also a great suspect. The diaries and the watch are both intriguing.  The diary has been proven to be a fabricated by some experts and real by others, if they can just get the watch evidence that would tie it all together.

My favorite suspects are the 2 listed above. Tumblety and Maybrick. But, I honestly think that it is probably someone that has never been a suspect and we will never know.  Just some nameless person in the east end.

Some of the suspects that give me a giggle are Mary Jane Kelly , the last ripper victim, some think she faked her death. The Jill the Ripper theory, Prince Albert and the whole royal conspiracy and lastly, Lewis Carroll, author of Alices adventure in wonderland.

#10 sfsorrow

sfsorrow

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:41 PM

"In my view Maybrick was the Ripper."

Having read the same story. I have to agree. Very compelling. Alas, with what the police had to work with in the way of forensics... still inconclusive.

I could not envision a scenerio where today,  several government agencies would get involved in a multi million dollar effort to try and retrieve the DNA from the corpses of the victims and suspects, simply to expose the real jack the ripper.

JTR, whoever he was, didn't give birth to the 20th century. He's just carrying on a sick human tradition.

Edited by sfsorrow, 06 November 2004 - 07:43 PM.

http://mgwyatt.blogspot.com"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

- John Lennon

#11 cryptid

cryptid

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:50 PM

Ladyblue, I didn't mean to imply all serial killers could not blend in with "normal" people. Look at Bundy, for instance. I just don't think someone as disturbed as JTR could fit into the level of society Sickert moved in. Not trying to imply Bundy wasn't disturbed; he could think rationally and knew what he did was wrong. I think JTR was a flat out psychotic and probably was placed in an institution or killed himself after Ms Kelley's murder. I truly doubt we will ever know who the Ripper was.

Just my 2 cents smile.gif

#12 TomCat

TomCat

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE(Ladyblue69 @ Nov 6 2004, 02:24 PM)
I have to disagree with you Cryptid on one fact.Serial killers are offten known to fit extreamely well into society.
View Post

I wanted to say the same thing after reading Cryptid's message. In some serial killer cases it's the reason why they could kill for a long time without being caught. They blended perfectly with a normal and social society.

And who's my favorite Ripper suspect? None! Jack the Ripper is dead, his victims are dead, as far as I know the victims don't have any surviving relatives anymore. Noone, even justice, doesn't benefit anymore by revealing his true identity. Let it be mystery...

#13 cryptid

cryptid

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE(cryptid @ Nov 6 2004, 11:50 PM)
I didn't mean to imply all serial killers could not blend in with "normal" people.
View Post

I hate to quote myself dry.gif

I merely meant to say, I don't think JTR could have fit in with the level of society Sickert did. Altho he may have been able to blend into the slums of Whitechapel without too much difficulty.

#14 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:57 PM

Out of curiousity, does anyone else have a favorite suspect?

My guess would still be Sir William Gull, the royal family's personal physician.  I was impressed that "From Hell" also suggested the same scenario, because this always seemed fairly plausible even for a conspiracy theory.  (To cover up Prince Albert's involvement with lower-class prostitutes, which resulted in a severe case of syphilis, the royal family entrusted Gull with silencing any witnesses to the princes indiscretions and making it look like the work of a crazed serial killer).

Kate

#15 cryptid

cryptid

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:08 PM

But Sir Gull was in his 70s and had suffered a stroke! I don't think he would have been physically able to do what JTR did to his victims. I think the royal family conspiracy is bunk (but I loved From Hell).

JTR was a disorganized asocial killer; no way could he pull off being 'normal' enough to function in the highest rung of English Victorian society.

#16 Smudge

Smudge

Spookyliscious

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:36 PM

For anyone with an interest in the Ripper murders, I find this one of the most comprehensive sites regarding the case.
It makes fascinating reading though, even if you are not a follower of the Ripper mystery.

If you click on each of the suspects on the suspect page, it gives a description of them, and why they may of been initially suspected, and then possible why they were dismissed as a suspect.

enjoy browsing the site.

http://www.casebook.org/intro.htmlThe Ripper casebook

#17 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2004 - 07:20 PM

I honestly believe that we will never truly know who JTR is. JTR's identity died with him a long time ago.
I do agree with what Cryptid said though. Seriel killers do blend into society very well. All you have to do is look back through history. Bundy, Gacy, Dahmer, Berkowitz, Bianci, the list goes on. The one thing that is always said is, "Wow!! I can't believe that HE was a killer. He seemed so normal!"

#18 Avesfox

Avesfox

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:coin collecting, film writting, site and game coding, mythology, peranormal research, film animation, Classic Disney freak

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:17 PM

I've seen a special on the case of Jack the Ripper.. and they have spoken of this particular painter who seemed to've painted his images from the photographs of the victims...

My thought on this... whomever this heartless genius may be.. wether it was the painter or some other ill hearted fiend... his work has desgusted me more ways then one.. I saw the movie and could not sleep for days!

I just despise those whom see it fit that women should be slaughtered in such horrific ways... females to me should be as respected as any man no matter his ranking.... but I'm just leading all this in off topic..

Jack the Ripper as far as I'm concerned is burning in the everlasting pits of hell... I say that pretty much justifies his cruel acts.... but just a little. c.c

Another man to bring up who also did injustice to the female body was Vlad Tepes III (aka Dracula) who in history was said to had impailed (sp) over thousands of hapless villagers... the majority being women and children... the irony of such madmen in history should not be forgot...

but back to the topic... Jack the Ripper (sorry... I blame my ADD for going way overboard on some topics =P )
I believe.

#19 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE(Avesfox @ Nov 15 2004, 01:17 AM)
I've seen a special on the case of Jack the Ripper.. and they have spoken of this particular painter who seemed to've painted his images from the photographs of the victims...

My thought on this... whomever this heartless genius may be.. wether it was the painter or some other ill hearted fiend... his work has desgusted me more ways then one.. I saw the movie and could not sleep for days!

I just despise those whom see it fit that women should be slaughtered in such horrific ways... females to me should be as respected as any man no matter his ranking.... but I'm just leading all this in off topic..

Jack the Ripper as far as I'm concerned is burning in the everlasting pits of hell... I say that pretty much justifies his cruel acts.... but just a little. c.c

Another man to bring up who also did injustice to the female body was Vlad Tepes III (aka Dracula) who in history was said to had impailed (sp) over thousands of hapless villagers... the majority being women and children... the irony of such madmen in history should not be forgot...

but back to the topic... Jack the Ripper (sorry... I blame my ADD for going way overboard on some topics =P )
View Post

LOL!!!! But how do you REALLY feel Avesfox??
There is no doubt that JTR would have had to have been one severly sick and twisted individual.

#20 Avesfox

Avesfox

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:coin collecting, film writting, site and game coding, mythology, peranormal research, film animation, Classic Disney freak

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE(HelenaHandBaskettGStudy @ Nov 14 2004, 11:34 PM)
LOL!!!! But how do you REALLY feel Avesfox??
There is no doubt that JTR would have had to have been one severly sick and twisted individual.

View Post

Indeed so.... and sick to the extent that words probably cannot describe..
I believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users