63 replies to this topic

#21 skateb12

skateb12

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

i mean a clown is only a person in a suit, but some people are afraid because of childhood experiences, my friend saw IT was he was like 6 and he cant go near clowns

#22 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

I think that Pennywise from Stephen King's IT may be a reason why most people are afraid of clowns. Of course John Wayne Gacy didn't really do a whole lot of good for their reputation either!! LOL.

I read somewhere, and I think that Trin may know about this, but, Gacy's Pogo The Clown, had the make-up wrong. Most professional clowns make sure the corners of their make-up is rounded and not pointy because rounded corners give the make-up a less evil look.

#23 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(HelenaHandBaskettGStudy @ Apr 27 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that Pennywise from Stephen King's IT may be a reason why most people are afraid of clowns. Of course John Wayne Gacy didn't really do a whole lot of good for their reputation either!! LOL.

I read somewhere, and I think that Trin may know about this, but, Gacy's Pogo The Clown, had the make-up wrong. Most professional clowns make sure the corners of their make-up is rounded and not pointy because rounded corners give the make-up a less evil look.

Clown make up has a lot of very complicated rules... It's at least as complicated as Medieval Heraldry. And the rules can vary between type to type of clown, and the "clown" personality has to match the makeup and costume for that type of clown, and the makeup and costume have to be matching types.  ( A REAL clown will never have "white faced" makeup and "tramp" costume. )

biggrin.gif My folks can watch stuff on TV (stuff like CSI) and tell you right off if the person who has done the make up & costume is an actual clown or did adequate research or just threw something together. Though being as it's TV this sometimes helps dad figure out the who done it, and sometimes it's just a mistake rather than a plot device.

Edited by trin, 27 April 2008 - 01:53 PM.

#24 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:14 PM

It is somewhat like a pro wrestler. I always felt like when I geared up I had to see that my gear reflected what I was trying to convince the audiance I was. Clowns have that task to accomplish as well and in truth a lot of them take that job very serious and work years and years to perfect what thay are doing.

#25 Beatlefish

Beatlefish

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, conspiracy theories, real life mysteries.

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

For me it was not Penny-wise I didn't like them way before that LOL.
For me its just the idea of a total stranger in a disguise ,someone who I don't know ,giggling and laughing ,just coming toward me, if someone can't let me know who they are.......stay away ,I don't know if your a psycho killer etc. or just crazy. *shivers*  I'm just creeped out by them.

#26 Ubriaca

Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

So Ronald McDonald  and JWG are good examples of what NOT to do when being a clown? (white face, pointy makeup)
They kind of favor each other....(still not afraid of clowns, btw) style_emoticons/default/smile.gif
Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

#27 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

lol, I never had that fear although a friend of mine is terrofied of them. I guess it is like the fear of Santa or even big bird.

#28 kathy-marie

kathy-marie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:being as immature as I can get away with lol , music progressive house minimal house techno house , favourite haunt digital newcastle, best DJ John digweed !!!

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(trin @ Apr 23 2008, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dem, it's Ok... my mom gets really really mad at the people who bring small kids, who aren't ready for the idea of a clown OR for that matter Santa, and push the kid at the clown ("Go see the funny clown! Go ON don't be a CHICKEN." ) or plop him on Santa's lap, even thought the kid is clearly hesitant, or scared before they even get that close.(I HATE hate HATE the photos of small children who are on Santa or the Easter Bunny's lap screaming or crying. If you kid is scared DON't Plop them right on someone's lap, OR act like it's funny or cute... )My mom suspects that's probably the basis of a lot of adults with "clown fears" (in addition to horror movies)... and is learning ways to gently encourage pushy/psychologically abusive parents, to let the kids stand back and observe until they're ready to approach on their own.Consider this my PSA for the day.
I totally agree , a guy in a clown suit aproached me when I was pushing my daughter through a town fair when she was only two and was totally in her face  !!! she didn't stop screaming for ages  Picture 562.gif I think it's up to the individual that dresses up as one and how they behave .
QUOTE(GizmoGStudy @ Apr 24 2008, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
John Wayne Gacy was an evil person, not because he was a clown.  He dressed up as one to lure those kids into his trap.
sorry but who's john wayne gacy and what did he do ?
the time when kids need the most love is when they are being at their most unlovable !!! same goes for ghosts I say . in awe of all you guy's advice ....... listen to your elders xxxxxxxxxx

#29 Guest_zidane2000_*

Guest_zidane2000_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

my brother had this evil clown cardboard cut out that was on the ceeling it was really really detailed it had evil eyes and fangs and it just kept looking at u try going to sleep with this thing thats looking down at u in the dark  Picture 518.gif

#30 Mia Camille

Mia Camille

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

i hate clowns they give me the creeps, i can't explain why it's just like that...

#31 Beatlefish

Beatlefish

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, conspiracy theories, real life mysteries.

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(kathy-marie @ May 2 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sorry but who's john wayne gacy and what did he do ?

An infamous serial killer that also performed as a clown.

Edited by Beatlefish, 02 May 2008 - 12:06 PM.

#32 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(kathy-marie @ May 2 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I totally agree , a guy in a clown suit aproached me when I was pushing my daughter through a town fair when she was only two and was totally in her face  !!! she didn't stop screaming for ages  Picture 562.gif I think it's up to the individual that dresses up as one and how they behave . sorry but who's john wayne gacy and what did he do ?

The clown that approached you and got in the small child's face was not a trained/real clown but just some guy in a clown outfit.  (My dad was president of the World Clown Association awhile back, and he still does a lot of teaching.)  They have a lot of difficulty with people who have no idea how to be a clown using the clown costume for mischief or to just make $$.  Things like children's parties and what not.  Just because someone is marketing "clowing" services for parties in the phone book doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

#33 Tarnished Soul

Tarnished Soul

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Horror/comedy movie, ghosts, aliens, tv, computer, video games, biking, swimming, and hiking.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:45 PM

Personally I only like ONE clown, and that clown is pretty famous, and that clown I'm referring to is the Joker.
Anyways I dislike any other clown, because of the overall weirdness of the look.

#34 HarleySalen

HarleySalen

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

I don't have a fear of clowns but I can understand why other people do, I guess they could be kind of spooky.  I can't stand it when parents push their kids towards santa or a clown, with the kid screaming the whole time.  My youngest was afraid of santa so I asked her if she wanted me to go up with her, it worked very well and to me it didn't matter that she didn't sit on his lap.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom door you're on. :-)

#35 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

Gacy was a bit odd, even for a clown. I think a lot of times we associate things behind a mask, or in this case facepaint with mysteriousness and the human nature is to fear what it does not know so by impulse some of us develop a profound fear of clowns.

#36 kathy-marie

kathy-marie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:being as immature as I can get away with lol , music progressive house minimal house techno house , favourite haunt digital newcastle, best DJ John digweed !!!

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:21 AM

oh wow !!! I just googled gacy and wish I hadn't Picture 483.gif
that was one messed up guy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the time when kids need the most love is when they are being at their most unlovable !!! same goes for ghosts I say . in awe of all you guy's advice ....... listen to your elders xxxxxxxxxx

#37 Joey

Joey

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Ahh... Music.

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:44 PM

I never noticed until now, but I put up the wrong picture because photobucket was being mean..
Ooops
It was of my friends
I don't think they're clowns... O.o

Edited by Numb, 08 January 2009 - 05:12 PM.

~ Joey

Posted Image

Welcome to GhostStudy.
Where the puns never end.

Posted Image

#38 tinkerbella

tinkerbella

EVP

• GS Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:45 AM

I used to love clowns when I was younger, then was completely freaked out by them... and now I'm not quite as freaked out, but I'm not always comfortable around them either.  I was one of those kids though, that was terrified of sitting on Santa's lap and the Easter Bunny!  But I was lucky and had a family that didn't force me to sit there.  I've never had a picture with the EB and the only picture I've taken with Santa was with an ex-boyfriend and his family when I was 19.  Even then I was completely uncomfortable... but of course I was the littlest so I got to be the one to sit on Santa's knee... UGH!  dry.gif

#39 bloodymary

bloodymary

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Reading writing yoga and swimming

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:34 AM

i am terrified of clowns and that is really strange for a 28 year old. I cant even look at one i start shaking and have to run away.
I think for me its the fact that you cant see what they look like under all the make up and costumes they have a big goofy grin painted on but underneath what are they like oh god even writing this is giving me the heeby jeebys lol

#40 AndyLate

AndyLate

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, writing, reading

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

I've always hated clowns.  I remember going to some sort of carnival with my dad when I was about five or six, and clowns were running around everywhere.  There was some "haunted" house thing that had clowns in it scaring people.  

Then not long after that experience, "It" was on TV, and I had bad dreams for almost a year.  

I just saw "It" around Halloween last year and it's not scary at all anymore.  Clowns sitll are though.  It seems like they have something to hide behind those painted faces, huge shoes, and baggy pants.
I'm always right... ALWAYS.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users