#1 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

Hi everyone. :D

The staff has had some discussion lately regarding the current state of the forums.  Quite honestly, the board isn't as active as it once was, and we're looking for input from all of our members, as well as guests/lurkers, as to why that may be. We do understand that activity tends to fall off a bit depending on the time of year, but this is a bit more than that.

So, we pose some question to the general mass:

1) What brings you to the forums?
2) Are you tentative in posting because you feel your opinion will be mocked or dismissed?
3) For guests/lurkers - do you feel our registration process is too complex?
4) What, if anything, do you feel is missing from the forums? What, if anything, would you like to see added?

We ask you to please be brutally honest.  We need to know what our members needs and wants are.

If you are not comfortable posting in this thread, please feel free to email me at Safire973gstudy@gmail.com. Lurkers/guests are encouraged to email me as well.

One more thing: I can tell you that sometime within the next month, the board is going to be updated to the most current version available. We will give you advance notice as the board won't be accessible during the update.  We will most likely lose some skin choices, but there will be newer ones installed.  This update will fix just about every bug we currently have - the biggest being the Youtube links.
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#2 GhostlyGrace

GhostlyGrace

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Freaking people out with my thoughts & dreams

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:05 AM

I'm going to throw this out there and say I don't read the forum as much anymore because (In my opinion), it seems like any evidence like photos or videos or stories are all quickly explained away.   I know some pictures can have a logical explanation.  However, it seems like people on the board here are too quick to say "that orb is dust.  That mist is somebody's somebody's breath"  etc.   What happened to believing?   I see too many skeptics here for my taste anymore.   Why post something that is just going to be shot down?

Posted Image

#3 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:34 AM

I log in every sometimes several times a day but at least once. It seems that there are fewer posts with pictures, audio, and even stories than there once was.

Also people come in to ask for assistance with a haunting and people don't seem to ask questions and try to find out more about the circumstances. There is one post that I replied to recently where I asked questions about the haunting  where no one else actually tried to help and there were three pages of posts. I was rather surprised. I realize that many of us have become internet friends on here and chat with each other all the time, but if someone comes on with a horrible haunting story that they need help with, I had always made the assumption that we'd try to help. There was a time when the posters here tried to help.

In fact, I have recommended several people to come to this forum for help with a haunting when I have been unable to help them either online or in real life. They haven't received help so they left.

People won't come back if they feel like their concerns aren't addressed.

That being said, this is my favorite forum of all those that I have been on. I'd hate for it to disappear.

Edited by moiraesfate, 20 July 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#4 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

I love reading the various stories and seeing the photos of ghosts caught on film that people post on here.  I feel that this place is underestimated in what it can offer to those who are either skeptics, or people who are having odd experiences and are desperate for information on what they the victim of.  I would give this place some time because any website like this will go through a quiet time.  There will be more activity on here soon, I'm sure of it.

Posted Image

"Somehow through it all...  We carry on...

Raise you up when you fall...  We carry on...

Bury the past...  Wounds remain...  Through it all...  A desire to live again"

#5 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

I think in large part the difference between now and years ago has to do with several things.  One is the intermittent updates on the main site. I know Jim is busy and can't be on top of it all the time, an appreciate he did some updates recently. But IMO stuff there can feed the forums.  Another is lack of stimulating posts from  seasoned investigators . We used to have a lot more of that, good stuff to discuss, and educational things as well. We need stuff linked elsewhere...stories, photos etc that would hopefully go viral and draw people to the site and forums.

Far as photos, IMO very few are really paranormal. Longer I am in the field and have been taking, learning about and examining photos, the more it becomes apparent there are so many normal things that can cause pareidolia.

I haven't noticed much in the way of mocking others here, this is a pretty nice site. I belong to some FB paranormal groups, now THOSE are brutal!
Posted Image

#6 Pooky

Pooky

Beware of Pooky

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:I like to go human haunting and that's all you need to know.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

We like it when we are feared and dreaded. But at the same time, we don't want word of our fame and existence proven. We really need those professing a haunting, personal experience or photograph to be shunned and ridiculed if possible. And it works pretty well here at times. So in other words, we love it when self-proclaimed experts denounce and explain away every evidence as explainable. But out for respect for Jim, Safire and the staff here on the Forums, I feel a real need to speak up. It can't all be explained away. I laugh at times when I know the evidence is true but yet it is instantly explained away as illusion, lighting, etc. Those that know the difference should speak up more.

I'm breaking about 45 rules by posting on this thread, so my comments may not appear here for long. But I feel what I have shared needed to be said. And if things don't chance, this community will fade away because of unbelief. And the staff and it's solid members have worked way too hard for that to happen.

Okay, it's true already, now leave me alone

#7 siguie

siguie

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:43 PM

I've been running forums since 2001 and in general most have been on the down swing due to places like facebook where people can have similar interactions on their terms.

Anywho people come to forums for different reasons some for camaraderie in interests, some looking for information, others want help and others the ones who have mostly moved to facebook are the ones looking for places to play and people they get along with.

I like and appreciate people posting photos and EVPs but I think everyone should expect to have the first responses be possible explanations simply because new evidence should always be questioned and examined before being accepted. That being said there is no reason to be a jerk about it :no: and regardless of ones personal beliefs just knowing that someone posted a photo thinking it may be paranormal means you should play nice because that person honestly thinks he/she might have something.

Anyways, I think most of what is being considered a typical skeptic response are the ones where it's not just being said that something is easily explained like a "dust orb" but it is being stated like "you are an idiot for posting a dust orb".

A solution might be to present evidence in different areas/forums depending on the posters temperament. So like if Jim gets a photo sent to him he could post it in the Fluffy Bunny Critique forum where all responses are handled with kiddy gloves. For veterns like say Roxxstar maybe new stuff could be posted in the Mosh Pit or The Octagon {UFC reference}.

Oh and to answer those 4 questions ...

1) What brings you to the forums?
A: I was mostly looking for research tech and you have a "Lab" area. I think ghost hunting tech is ghastly overpriced so have mostly been making my own and was wondering what people use, what is considered important and what looks interedting to make. Recently I've been looking at dashcams as cheap video collectors :)

2) Are you tentative in posting because you feel your opinion will be mocked or dismissed?
A: Nope not even a little :no: my opinion is always mocked and dismissed :D

3) For guests/lurkers - do you feel our registration process is too complex?
A: Your registration system sucks mightily :yes: Serriously I think my first post was about that. Also the forum software is really annoying with the carp WYSIWG editor and what is up with the annoying censor? I have to out smart it so it doesn't turn "sucks" into "bites" seriously what's up with that?

4) What, if anything, do you feel is missing from the forums? What, if anything, would you like to see added?
A: Nothing is missing that couldn't easily be added by the members :no:  Personally I'd like to see and hear more about actual investigations and maybe have the admins/mods be more forceful when people are being jerks.

If you want to garner more interest and activity here while keeping to your sites interests and paranormal themes how about encouraging people to practice ghost hunting at home and or do small and or full scale investigations :yes:

Most people have an interest BUT really do not know where to start and having people start their own threads with practice investigations and their results would be cool :yes: OR atleast it would keep me entertained  :D
- siguie -

#8 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,780 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

Wow... I think Pooky is simply wanting to remind us to be more sensitive & tolerant of others.

Siguie... Cool! Safire is going to love what you have shared! It's exactly the kind of feedback needed.

Thanks everyone... this is helping a lot!
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#9 Themilkmanfromhell

Themilkmanfromhell

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:I'm a crossroads demon. Come make a deal with me and I'll make all your dreams come true.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

My opinion is that  more people are more skeptical and don't believe in as it was years when this forum booming. I got on these forums when I was 16 and now 11 years later at 27 I've become skeptical ,but not the point were I'll just go no it doesn't exist. I've  noticed more skepticism towards the topics of the forum. This my opinion because I've been withdrawn from this community  from long time and this my view of looking in. I think it also may have to with registration. I remember signing up and I don't know if this has changed ,but the waiting for someone to approve your account took sometime when I signed up and may discourage or people forgetting they even signed up for this forum. Other thing is how well known is this forum ?Are you putting this out so people know it exist?These forums haven't really changed in years from I remember it looks the same topic wise. I think mainly this forum needs to open door policy and I understand why it's like was( unless this sign up process change don't  even bother paying attention this one) and getting the word of this forum out there.I just looked there only 3 members  on and 50 some guest. So it must be something in the registration or afraid .

Edited by Themilkmanfromhell, 20 July 2015 - 06:53 PM.

#10 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:29 PM

It's just like anything else... ghost hunting has hit its peak and in decline...

#11 Themilkmanfromhell

Themilkmanfromhell

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:I'm a crossroads demon. Come make a deal with me and I'll make all your dreams come true.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

View PostCDS, on 20 July 2015 - 07:29 PM, said:

It's just like anything else... ghost hunting has hit its peak and in decline...
After 2010 it started to decline.

#12 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

View PostThemilkmanfromhell, on 20 July 2015 - 07:34 PM, said:

After 2010 it started to decline.

I thought I said that?

#13 Themilkmanfromhell

Themilkmanfromhell

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

View PostCDS, on 20 July 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

I thought I said that?
You said like everything there was a decline.  I was just agreeing with you and noting when it started to happen.

#14 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Wraith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:27 PM

View PostSafire973GStudy, on 20 July 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

Hi everyone. :D

The staff has had some discussion lately regarding the current state of the forums.  Quite honestly, the board isn't as active as it once was, and we're looking for input from all of our members, as well as guests/lurkers, as to why that may be. We do understand that activity tends to fall off a bit depending on the time of year, but this is a bit more than that.

So, we pose some question to the general mass:

1) What brings you to the forums? I honestly enjoy coming here and reading what other members have experienced.

2) Are you tentative in posting because you feel your opinion will be mocked or dismissed? No, not at all. I have posted many of my own experiences. Not everyone believes but that is OK too :) I really don't need others to believe in what I believe. Debated on many other peoples posts too! I think it is good to have a wide range of people with different belief systems. I have learnt a lot from different members and I have made friends with many here too. I have watched many ghost youtube video's where I think it was made totally for entertainment. Have enjoyed one member's video's where he admits he makes them for entertainment and post here and on youtube!

3) For guests/lurkers - do you feel our registration process is too complex? I didn't find it difficult to join :)  

4) What, if anything, do you feel is missing from the forums? What, if anything, would you like to see added? I can't think of anything but if you come up with anything I will be there to put my 2 cents in :yes:

We ask you to please be brutally honest.  We need to know what our members needs and wants are.

If you are not comfortable posting in this thread, please feel free to email me at Safire973gstudy@gmail.com. Lurkers/guests are encouraged to email me as well.

One more thing: I can tell you that sometime within the next month, the board is going to be updated to the most current version available. We will give you advance notice as the board won't be accessible during the update.  We will most likely lose some skin choices, but there will be newer ones installed.  This update will fix just about every bug we currently have - the biggest being the Youtube links.((((YAY))))

Posted Image

#15 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:08 AM

(grrr - I had an entire reply typed up and accidentally hit the back key on my mouse)

Thanks for all the input so far.  I would like to touch on a couple of things mentioned so far.

Regarding registration, that's a built in part of IP. The security question was added for two reasons: 1) to stop the insane amount of spam registrations and 2) to basically force prospective registrants to read the Terms of Use.  It's very frustrating when someone breaks a rule, then says "Well, how was I supposed to know that?", and you reply "It's in the Terms of Use you agreed to", and then they say "Oh, I don't actually read that stuff".  :Picture 562:

The "annoying censor" was set up by the staff.  The reason is two-fold.  This board is 13+ and common courtesy dictates it should be a clean, respectful board.  In all honesty, I haven't checked the word filter in quite some time and while it's helpful, I personally think there are some things that can be removed.  I'll look into it and talk to the other staff.

On a side note, I personally don't believe there's been a decline in ghost hunting. I think it's been more popular than ever, with many people looking for answers.  I think it's bcome more of an every day thing now so there are more avenues to explore, sites to check, forums to go to. We need to make this forum and the GS website stand out as the places to go to for information, research and discussion.
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#16 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:32 AM

View PostSafire973GStudy, on 21 July 2015 - 05:08 AM, said:

(grrr - I had an entire reply typed up and accidentally hit the back key on my mouse)

On a side note, I personally don't believe there's been a decline in ghost hunting. I think it's been more popular than ever, with many people looking for answers.  I think it's bcome more of an every day thing now so there are more avenues to explore, sites to check, forums to go to.

I'd agree with you if you're considering the numbers of people that go to paid "Ghost Tours" at one of the asyllums. As far as serious researchers, I think that is in decline.

#17 mousieq

mousieq

Apport

• GS Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

I came to this forum for help and I have gotten a lot of help and advice here, and I don't care about the mocking or disbelief from someone because there is someone right behind them that do believe me.

I have been to many sites and have not found one yet that is as involved as this site and I wish I would have found it a long time ago.
This is a site of experts, believers and people needing help, I have encountered people who didn't believe me about the bite marks, scratches, the cigar smells or pretty much anything.

I will kep posting here because people are reading and listening to me whether they give their advice, opinion or not and I feel like when I post it helps get me that much closer to the answer " Why ".

The registration didn't bother me and it was a little annoying that when I went to different areas it said I wasn't allowed until I read and seen that I needed to make so many post.

My video with Orbs I didn't post because as you can see I have an uploading problem but not because I think someone would think it was dust lol.

Edited by mousieq, 21 April 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#18 siguie

siguie

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

Regarding registration, that's a built in part of IP. The security question was added for two reasons: 1) to stop the insane amount of spam registrations and 2) to basically force prospective registrants to read the Terms of Use.  It's very frustrating when someone breaks a rule, then says "Well, how was I supposed to know that?", and you reply "It's in the Terms of Use you agreed to", and then they say "Oh, I don't actually read that stuff".  :Picture 562:

Actually it's the answer to the question that I had issues with, you had more than one answer so depending on what you read and I read the wrong one apparently. You should choose another question or at the very least update all of the posts that have different answers.

Also why is it just ONE question? I admit I've not used IPB but most forum software allows for multiple questions and answers so if one answer gets added to a database you don't get a sudden influx of spammers.

Presumably you have the stopforumspam IPB addon here BUT I also strongly recommend ZB Block from http://www.spambotse...com/zbblock.php it's free {though zaphod appreciates dontaions} and trivially easy to setup AND it prevents many many more issues than just spammers :yes:

Yeah yer censor word list is a little silly but that's just a little wonky forum charm really however it looks like your/IPB's nested filter system is what's breaking the youtube embedding. You can get youtube videos to show in a preview but the second or third filter run takes it out :( Presumably the update will fix this but there might be a way to have the youtube mod exit the filtering loops.

As for the decline in ghost hunting ... I thought it was getting more popular  :yes: More and more people seem to be searching for information on the subject and in general the number of people who believe in ghost is close to 50% even more if you use the term "paranormal" :yes: I think judging the popularity of a subject based on the number of TV shows or their ratings is highly inaccurate.

I think people are tired of the shows but having seen how seemingly easy it is are more than willing to take a stab at it themselves and just not get syndicated :D
- siguie -

#19 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

View Postsiguie, on 21 July 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

Actually it's the answer to the question that I had issues with, you had more than one answer so depending on what you read and I read the wrong one apparently. You should choose another question or at the very least update all of the posts that have different answers. - It's very possible I've missed something, but to my knowledge, the posts with this information were updated when the question was added.  It's also specifically listed in the ToU link that's right on the registration page (which, in theory, people are actually reading...which was another point to the question).

Also why is it just ONE question? I admit I've not used IPB but most forum software allows for multiple questions and answers so if one answer gets added to a database you don't get a sudden influx of spammers.  - One question was sufficient enough to stop the aforementioned spammers.

Presumably you have the stopforumspam IPB addon here BUT I also strongly recommend ZB Block from http://www.spambotse...com/zbblock.php it's free {though zaphod appreciates dontaions} and trivially easy to setup AND it prevents many many more issues than just spammers :yes: -Thanks for the zb block tip. I will check it out.

Yeah yer censor word list is a little silly but that's just a little wonky forum charm really however it looks like your/IPB's nested filter system is what's breaking the youtube embedding. You can get youtube videos to show in a preview but the second or third filter run takes it out :( Presumably the update will fix this but there might be a way to have the youtube mod exit the filtering loops. - The Youtube issue is mostly due to the fact that is version of the board is severely outdated.  The changes I've made haven't helped (nor has Googling). We have to deal with it for now.

#20 Themilkmanfromhell

Themilkmanfromhell

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for all the input so far.  I would like to touch on a couple of things mentioned so far.

The "annoying censor" was set up by the staff.  The reason is two-fold.  This board is 13+ and common courtesy dictates it should be a clean, respectful board.  In all honesty, I haven't checked the word filter in quite some time and while it's helpful, I personally think there are some things that can be removed.  I'll look into it and talk to the other staff.

On a side note, I personally don't believe there's been a decline in ghost hunting. I think it's been more popular than ever, with many people looking for answers.  I think it's bcome more of an every day thing now so there are more avenues to explore, sites to check, forums to go to. We need to make this forum and the GS website stand out as the places to go to for information, research and discussion.
If you got by search trends it's  slowly began decline. Funny thing about the decline it has do with the paranormal activity movies and movies similar to it. The belief in ghost in the US has  gone from 51%in 2003 to 42%in 2014. The decline is real but  that leaves 42%(133,938,000). The only time trend for ghost and ghost hunting peaks around October.There's enough through out the to draw in some how.This forum has 48 to 58 guest  at anytime and they just lerk. We need to do something  make this place seem more open to them so they'll open up and actually talk about what they're looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users