#21 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,050 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

To add to my thoughts earlier and echo others, I agree the word filter seems silly. I can see no f bombs, maybe even the s word. But with the internet in general and current culture, its not like the filter is "protecting" anyone who uses the internet
Posted Image

#22 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

I would be open to some changes to the word filter... but the standards here are and always have been a bit higher than on most other forums. I know it sounds silly in today society but I guess I'm just silly. The managers over the years have always stayed true to that commitment and I have greatly appreciated it.

I'm sure Helena, Safire and the rest of our amazing staff can suggest some revisions... and I am open to that. As a matter of fact, I believe that Safire has already committed to looking into it, so I think we're covered.
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#23 Malia110

Malia110

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:38 PM

View PostSafire973GStudy, on 20 July 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

Hi everyone. :D

The staff has had some discussion lately regarding the current state of the forums.  Quite honestly, the board isn't as active as it once was, and we're looking for input from all of our members, as well as guests/lurkers, as to why that may be. We do understand that activity tends to fall off a bit depending on the time of year, but this is a bit more than that.

So, we pose some question to the general mass:

1) What brings you to the forums? I began reading/lurking because I have always been intrigued in the paranormal and looked for a forum-type because I like the conversation and different opinions.

2) Are you tentative in posting because you feel your opinion will be mocked or dismissed?  Yes...in other forums EVERYTHING turns into an argument....I really like that there is actual discussion here, so, I believe I may feel more comfortable about posting here...if, I have something to share.

3) For guests/lurkers - do you feel our registration process is too complex?  I was turned off at first, but once I did it...it really wasn't bad.

4) What, if anything, do you feel is missing from the forums? What, if anything, would you like to see added?  I love the pictures....I really just like to hear true life stories.

We ask you to please be brutally honest.  We need to know what our members needs and wants are.

If you are not comfortable posting in this thread, please feel free to email me at Safire973gstudy@gmail.com. Lurkers/guests are encouraged to email me as well.

One more thing: I can tell you that sometime within the next month, the board is going to be updated to the most current version available. We will give you advance notice as the board won't be accessible during the update.  We will most likely lose some skin choices, but there will be newer ones installed.  This update will fix just about every bug we currently have - the biggest being the Youtube links.

Edited by Safire973GStudy, 22 July 2015 - 09:10 AM.
Changed the color of your replies for clarity :)

#24 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

Don't Mess With Me

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

View PostNightWalker07, on 20 July 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

I love reading the various stories and seeing the photos of ghosts caught on film that people post on here.  I feel that this place is underestimated in what it can offer to those who are either skeptics, or people who are having odd experiences and are desperate for information on what they the victim of.  I would give this place some time because any website like this will go through a quiet time.  There will be more activity on here soon, I'm sure of it.
I agree with Night - life does get busy, but for me it ALWAYS feels like I am coming home when I log in.

#25 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

Don't Mess With Me

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 21 July 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

I would be open to some changes to the word filter... but the standards here are and always have been a bit higher than on most other forums. I know it sounds silly in today society but I guess I'm just silly. The managers over the years have always stayed true to that commitment and I have greatly appreciated it.

I will talk to Helena, Safire and the others about some revisions.
Jim - this is one of the many things that won me over to this board. I feel that we have a pretty sweet balance (of our loyal posters) of skeptics & believers. Sure people will attempt to debunk - myself included even though I am a believer.  I feel this is one of the purposes. Try to debunk 1st & if we can't = then there is still the option to believe.;)

#26 siguie

siguie

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

View PostSafire973GStudy, on 21 July 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

Actually it's the answer to the question that I had issues with, you had more than one answer so depending on what you read and I read the wrong one apparently. You should choose another question or at the very least update all of the posts that have different answers. - It's very possible I've missed something, but to my knowledge, the posts with this information were updated when the question was added.  It's also specifically listed in the ToU link that's right on the registration page (which, in theory, people are actually reading...which was another point to the question).

Ok now I figured it out ... the link to the Terms of Use is AFTER the question and the only way to know it's a link is to see that there is a slight color variation at the end. Yeah I can barely tell that that's a link on my monitor and honestly coming AFTER the question I doubt if I even looked ... I just went to the front page, probably did a search for "terms", didn't find it then looked at New Members Please Read! ... saw the 24 to 48 {Helena fixed it} then kept plugging 48 in over and over again.

I recommend putting the terms of use link before the question or in the question itself :yes: Though personally I say throw it in with the Board Rules link because that's on every page.  Also is there a link to "Terms of Use" anywhere other than that registration form because I have never seen it before and I cannot seem to find it anywhere. If you google  "terms of use" for this site nothing pops up either.

Oh as for the censor it's really neither here nor there ... it's just kind of annoying since words are being replaced that make no sense being censored and it's actually changing what you typed vs just changing what is shown the way other forums do. IN addition to annoying members censors can be very useful :yes: the major search engines index sites differently if they detect "adult" words so it makes sense to have a general censor. I tytpically set the censor to filter out swaer words as well as common email spam words but only for guests and search bots. In Profiles SMF and phpBB both allow for members to turn off the censor. I'm not sure if IPB has that option though.
- siguie -

#27 fbjewels

fbjewels

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:My kids, Reading, the Paranormal, Useless Movie Trivia

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:35 PM

I've been a member here for nearly ten years, and was a longtime lurker before that.  However, I had a baby in 2012 and have been almost totally absent since then.  I think life just gets in the way sometimes. I'm hoping that the board stays around for a long time, I miss the cameraderie that I used to find here and hope to get back to it.

Edited by fbjewels, 08 August 2015 - 06:36 PM.

#28 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • 11,050 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:05 PM

Welcome back! Haven't seen you in a ling time!
Posted Image

#29 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:33 PM

View PostThemilkmanfromhell, on 20 July 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

You said like everything there was a decline.  I was just agreeing with you and noting when it started to happen.

Oh. sorry...

I also note that about every 5 yrs or so, there is a rise in ghost hunting activity and new groups coming to surface.

#30 vave82GStudy

vave82GStudy

The Fairy with an Attitude

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

Hello there! Here is my input:

1) What brings you to the forums? Awesome forum members, interest in paranormal, sharing my views and chat with other paranormal enthusiasts/experts
2) Are you tentative in posting because you feel your opinion will be mocked or dismissed? Not at all! I received fantastic feedback and advice and will keep posting
3) For guests/lurkers - do you feel our registration process is too complex? I am not a guest or lurker, but I found the process easy and fair :)
4) What, if anything, do you feel is missing from the forums? What, if anything, would you like to see added? I can't come up with anything right now as I enjoy it the way it is :)

#31 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,522 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

1) What brings you to the forums?

Originally it was "Looking for ghost theme photos for a personal project... " (inspiration not direct use)
turned into "Oooooh this is soo much cooler than I thought...." started lurking and then started responding to posts,
Mainly stuff about photos or history, and how to get information.

I've made some REAL friends here, even if I don't get to see them in Meat-space.  (waves to everyone)
Friended a bunch of you on FB too.

I've been visiting less, due to illness, and that it's not as easy to access the site from my "not as smart as it thinks it is" phone, as FB is.

2) Are you tentative in posting because you feel your opinion will be mocked or dismissed?

Started out that way, it shifted over time.

One of the first things I posted was a photo of my cat with brightly colored huge orbs around her.
I was just starting with a digital camera, and was hoping someone could tell me how the effect happened.
Most of the responses were guessing, but good guesses. :D

What cracks me up now, is that there are photo edit filters to create the same effect!
On purpose! (well it was beautiful!)

3) For guests/lurkers - do you feel our registration process is too complex?
4) What, if anything, do you feel is missing from the forums? What, if anything, would you like to see added?

Personally, I wish we had a wider range of science skills.  For example, when someone posted an article about how
humans can be affected (and feel spooked) by infrasound, it would have been cool to have someone who really had experience studying
human hearing, maybe even suggesting ways to test for infrasound in investigative environments in the field.

Because "OMG the dog/cat was staring at something/ barking at nothing/ wouldn't go into the room" is such a common part of accounts,
it'd be cool to have an animal behaviorist.  (someone a bit more skilled than the average "cat lady" :D ,  maybe we can't get Jackson Galaxy,
but someone who might be able to say "we KNOW animals are sensitive to (particular thing) that doesn't get noticed by humans. maybe check for that..." )

My cats knew about and tried to tell us about a gas leak before it was bad enough for our human smelling to catch...

I know I've been able to rule out some weird things in my own environment because I have a friend in the HVAC field, who also is aware of, and knows how to check for environmental toxins.

We ask you to please be brutally honest.  We need to know what our members needs and wants are.

Edited by trin, 11 August 2015 - 12:28 PM.

#32 Morrigan

Morrigan

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:family, reading, cooking, artificial intelligence

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

I'm registered but don't have many posts even though I check in 1-2 a week. So I guess you can still call me a lurker :confused0068:
I found the registering easy so I don't think that's a problem.

There are two reasons why I usually don't post even though I read a thread:
1. I don't consider myself an expert so I don't feel like I can give advice
2. I've never actually had a paranormal experience myself. I'm just curious about the possibility. (which is what brings me to the forums)

Not sure what can be added but I do like any and all discussions about how to combine paranormal experiences with scientific explanations (e.g. possible scientific reasons why ghosts exist and what they are). After all the spooky things that happen in quantum physics, I certainly think anything is possible!

#33 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

Don't Mess With Me

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

Well here goes

View Posttrin, on 11 August 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

What brought me to the forum was what I thought was a personal morbid curiosity. until I found  you guys and realized I wasn't alone. I thank you all for that.

2) Are you tentative in posting because you feel your opinion will be mocked or dismissed?

Sure, with my very 1st post & I realized I had nothing to worry about when I read the responses.  That allowed me to breathe a great sigh of relief.

Truthcard regarding registration - As I have said before, I had to ask my 18 y/o daughter for help.  After she looked at me as if I had 3 heads - I thought  that maybe I could every once in a while not over analyze a simple answer - just answer it. I now try to look at things 'outside of the box'.

4) What, if anything, do you feel is missing from the forums? What, if anything, would you like to see added?

I don't know that I feel anything is missing from the forums, we have such a great group of people willing to take the time & energy to go out of their way to help anyone finding their way here. BEFORE finding GS I found one forum that I thought interested me but as soon as I became a member for LESS than 24-48 hours;) it was horrible.  Now some of you know I grew up on a farm, with 4 other siblings and I was somewhat accustomed to 'colorful terms' as 3 of the 4 were my brothers. I worked trauma & extrication in emergency medicine with an all male crew. Let me clarify most of the females that did rotations with my team were often more 'vibrantly outspoken' than the guys. I am not saying this to be degrading to any of them - I am stating the simple fact that it takes a lot catch me off gaurd or to shock me.  The very 1st reply to myself just joining was enough for me to unjoin if that is a word. It was disrespectful (I felt) to the heartbroken people seeking answers, guidance or even solace.  The people seeking answers to the questions that haunted them would have been comforted by the members here. I LOVE that about each of you. And YES I told all of them so in my 2nd and final post.

Honestly - you as a team have meet all of my needs and have taught me more than I could ever imagine.

Edited by Michelle, 24 August 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#34 Beatlefish

Beatlefish

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, conspiracy theories, real life mysteries.

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

This is the only Paranormal board I visit/post . I like discussing the paranormal with my GS family.
This is a place I would feel comfortable posting any pictures I might have ...if they get "debunked" its alright I may be disappointed but hey this is where the opinions I respect are. I've probably been here ..11 yrs? something like that. I am sorry I can't visit as much as I like its not that I don't like it I just haven't had much of a chance lately. I hope the board stays open. In case I NEED you  :bunny:

#35 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:35 PM

*faints* Beatlefish!!! It's been ages!!

#36 Guest_SilentWalkerGStudy_*

Guest_SilentWalkerGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:39 AM

Hey Beatlefish. Great to see you again :)

#37 Beatlefish

Beatlefish

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, conspiracy theories, real life mysteries.

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:24 AM

Good to be here :wub:

#38 jlemich

jlemich

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Playing with my dogs.
    Drinking wine LOL
    Learning more about
    the paranormal...

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

A: I came to these forums due to my curisouty and interested in the paranormal

A:Someyimes, I think there is a balanced mix of friendly and helpful.

A: didnt bother me

A: I think just personal stories and conversations, more personal experience, and educational posts

#39 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • 11,050 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:43 AM

In part I think FB has diluted to pool of those interested in the paranormal. But it isn't nearly as educational as these forums are! Generally speaking, a lot of the folks on the paranormal groups are just reposting stuff they've seen elsewhere that are usually memes or common camera artifacts or effects. People either look at them and say stuff like "I can sense a spirit! it's a female and is warning you!"  or just insult someone for being stupid. Not much in the way of middle ground, relatively intelligent discussion on things. Like here! :D
Posted Image

#40 belar

belar

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my wife and kids, reading fantasy fiction, movies, twisty puzzles, and learning about the paranormal.

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:23 PM

Yep, I've looked through FB and have not found a good group relating to the paranormal.  That's why I'm glad I found this place!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users