78 replies to this topic

#41 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(HelenaHandBaskettGStudy @ Jan 19 2005, 09:16 AM)
Just so you know, there are plenty of places in Canada that are unwooded, so you don't have to visit a place near the woods. Mind you we do have a few lake monsters too! tongue.gif

View Post

lol. Very true.

Also, most of us have never seen anything beyond normal scarey stuff in the woods either.

Good idea not to get lost in the woods though. We have alot of them. If you get lost, you may not get found.

#42 OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Orb

• GS Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:14 PM

Helena, is the Wendigo timeline you posted here FICTIONAL?

When I attempted to run the various names and dates through Google, the links I found simply traced back to the timeline itself as posted here.

Thanks for any information.

#43 freekboi

freekboi

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:I'm really interested in the paranormal (hence being on this site), love to read, fool around on the computer, just the usual stuff. I'm also a member of Dravenstar Paranormal Research Team with Lord Draven 2000, Celtic Maiden, and TK.

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:17 PM

I don't think it's fictional, I've seen it before along with other information on this incident in other places too. Hmm, runs off to go through his files on the wendigo to see if he can find it...

Edited by freekboi, 28 September 2005 - 08:18 PM.

#44 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(OldTimeRadio @ Sep 28 2005, 01:14 AM)
Helena, is the Wendigo timeline you posted here FICTIONAL?

When I attempted to run the various names and dates through Google, the links I found simply traced back to the timeline itself as posted here.

Thanks for any information.
View Post

As far as I have been able to find out, the timeline isn't fictional. I have had just about as much luck as you had on that though! smile.gif

I don't know if some of the timeline is made up, but I do know that that account of what happened to the doctor is the real deal. (Not much help am I?)

#45 Steffy

Steffy

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Ghost, ghost again and now, Wendigo.

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

Hmm, I know this post is kinda old but well, here I go. ^^'

I never really believe in Wendigo, was even thinking he was the same thing that Bigfoot of snowman, you see... But well, something happen to me and the last night, I was talking with my sister about that old story ans she get scare to death. Like I was sure she already know it, I never tell her until last night.

It happen when I was 17 years old, now I'm 19 and trust me, I never forget it. I live in Canada and at this time of my life, was linving in a northern little village in Quebec, where forest is almost everywhere, you see. Well, my grand-mother live there and we were living on the same street, if you can call it a street. lol My uncle is like 7 years older then me, so I let you know that we were seeing each other a lot. (his like a brother to me so) Well, I liked to spend time with him and was always going home late, I was just living 5 minutes from there so.

But well, this night, I get scare to death. It was like 2 or 3 am, not sure and it was in winter. I remember it was snowing and that I was feeling bad. I always hate to walk alone at night, so I was walking a little bit faster you know, to get home sooner. But like I hate when it get dark too, I was kinda nervous when I feel like someone or something was following me.

Always turning back to see if someone was behind me, I was feeling kinda better to see that it was only my imagination. Like I was finally seeing my home, almost there, I feel this presence again and turn my head again. This is when I see ''IT''. I call it a monster at this time and the only people who heard my story tell me I was probably dreaming. It was very tall ( like 7feet ), white and kinda shiny, juste like it was made in latex. Skinny, with large hand, it got big eyes red. But I don't remember to well the eyes, this is the mouth who scare the hell out of me, too large ( like it can swoop my head in one time, without effort ) and with the sharpest tooth I ever see. I'm sure he was running because of the position of the hand, but he kinda stop, and smile at me but in a terrific way. Just like it was running and decide to stop for a sec and make me scare. I was freez and try to follow it with my eyes, it kinda dissapear. That make me think he was running faster then light, stupid?

My sister is sure I see a wendigo. I never think that way but she make some research and I begin to think that is not that crazy. Some people say that they are made in ice, and the way I see him, it look like. His doesn't had hair, neither lips and I don't remember had see a nose. They are suppose to be view only from the front. So if you make front with one, face to face your suppose to see him, even if they are faster then us. I also read that they hunt us and like to let them know, they kinda play with us, and people or suppose to get hysteric and run like crazy. And that's when people are suppose to make a bad moove and get eated I guess. In my case, I don't run, just walk very faster and don't even try to look behind me again. I was scare and wanted to get home right now! Anyway, this is a monster to me, and I don't know why I would imagine that as I was thinking about a wolf or a bear following me. ( and that wasn't looking like one of these, not at all )

Anyway, I post it to know if other people see a creature like that. I'm curious to know if it was a wendigo and if I got luck or if it was just my imagination. ( hope no o_o )

Ps
Sorry for my spelling, I'm french so ^^' I'm not that good at writing english.

#46 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for posting your story Steffy!! It must have been a frightening experience!!! And no need to apologize for your post. I understood it!

#47 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Shadow Ghost

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

Hello Everyone,
I posted these in other topics, but thought I should repost them here, too.

From the topic My Childhood Home:

My family is of Native American and Irish descent.

The bedroom my sister and I shared was a tiny 10-by-12-foot room, with two 54-by-29-inch windows. The glass panes were six over one, and from outside the sill was about 3 1/2 feet off the ground. We slept in a bunk bed. She had the top bunk and I had the bottom one.

It was summer, hazy, hot and humid. At the time, we did not have air conditioning. The windows were kept open to let in the breeze. It did not help much in cooling down the house. My sister was sitting at the head of my bed. She was reading a story to me from a Little Golden Book. I suddenly felt cold, freezing cold.

I felt I had to look out the window, but I did not want to. It felt as if, I had to. I could not believe what I was seeing. There were glowing red eyes staring in at me. I could not look away. I tried.

The eyes were about 2 feet up from the windowsill. They were just staring at me. I get chills just remembering this. It took, what seemed forever to tear my gaze away. When I did, I rushed to the head of the bed and told my sister to look out the window. When she finally did, the eyes were gone.

Another time, I was home alone. My parents were out for the evening, and my sister was staying over a friends. I was sitting in the living room watching TV, when out the corner of my eye I saw something move. I should tell you from where I was sitting I could see into the bathroom and straight out the bathroom window to the backyard.

I turned to look, and I saw what looked like a skull, up close to the window, moving toward the back door area. Now for it to be that close to the window it would have to have been walking in the flowerbed. It would also, have had to walk over the cellar door. I was terrified. I closed my eyes and stayed in that chair all night. I did not move a single muscle.

Another time, I had finally gotten my own room. It is a mirror image of our old room. After having moved into it, I felt a presence. Outside my window there was a 12 inch wide flower garden, then the driveway, which is about 5 feet wide. Next to the driveway was the woodpile.

Sitting on top of the woodpile was a huge, white-colored apparition. It had long limbs and glowing red eyes. It was staring in at me. I tore my gaze away from it, after what seemed forever to me, and hid under the covers until morning. My mother found me like that, under the sheet and coverlet. She wondered how I could breathe under there.

Link to Information on the Wendigo:
Wendigo

Edited by MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe, 01 January 2007 - 05:26 PM.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#48 Steffy

Steffy

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Ghost, ghost again and now, Wendigo.

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:48 AM

MacCionoadha, I understand you. My sister just made me remember but when I was younger, I see something similar to what you had see, by my window. I was like... 12 I think, and wanted to pick up a book. This time, I doesn't open the light, and trust me if I was thinking about monster and ghost, I would have. So well, like I said, I was taking a book and just like I was turning my head back, I look in my window, doesn't know why. I hate to look outside when is dark, but I feel like had too. Everday, juste before night come, we was always closing the curtains but this time, they wasn't, fate? Maybe...

Anyway, I just look outside and the first thing I see was two big and glowing red eyes. It was a wolf-like thing, but build like a man. It got white fur and had a wolf head. It look at me in the eyes and I was scare to death, unable to move. But I finally close my eyes and when I open it again, nothing. But I can say that the thing was just behind the window, so close that I remember being scare that he can break it.

But again, I never thought it could be a wendigo. I was sure it was a werewolf... but well, I don't think they exist so... I wasn't understanding that experience. Like I said sooner, my sister made some research and find that wendigo can take animal form. So now I'm asking myself so many question. Did a wendigo follow me? o_o

And well, MacCionoadha, your story scare the hell out of me. Make me remember my own story, and I had a bunk bed too at this time lol. ( make me scare and laugh at same time ) Oh yea, the window wasn't that high. A normal adult, would be able to look into the room without problem, but an animal wouldn't be able, neither a children. That's why I get that scare, that was impossible to a real wolf to get there, and anyway, I see that it had shoulder so. Cannot be a real wolf I guess.

Now I know that I'm not crazy, maybe I really see something finally... making me scare now. o_o Thanks god, no wood here, or almost not. And pheeeew, everyone understand my post, this is wonderful XD Oh and yea, that was such a scary experience, one of the scariest I had. ^^'

Edited by Steffy, 02 January 2007 - 12:51 AM.

#49 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Shadow Ghost

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

Now I know that I'm not crazy, maybe I really see something finally... making me scare now. o_o Thanks god, no wood here, or almost not. And pheeeew, everyone understand my post, this is wonderful XD Oh and yea, that was such a scary experience, one of the scariest I had. ^^'

You are not crazy Steffy, alot of us have had strange experiences. Even today I can not stand to look out my windows after dark. I can stand outside in the dark and not be afraid, but I am scared to death, when I look out the windows at night.

Edited by MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe, 03 January 2007 - 04:16 PM.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#50 joanalys

joanalys

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

you are right, the town of fort kent was on creepy canada, however if you ask the town residents about this legend you get absolutely nothing in reply. the people at the museum flat out deny anything ever happened there. i live about 1 and 1/2 miles north west of fort kkent in a 90 year old farmhouse that IS haunted. when the show came out on t.v. i encouraged the kids i was teaching at the time to become interested in the hunt for the truth. graveyards were investigated, people were talked to, we came up with exactly nothing. and when i tried to get info from creepy canada on where their information came from, they wouldn't even return my calls. so if anyone else has more facts out there to share i would love to hear them.

#51 the_gray_jester

the_gray_jester

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Parapsychology, Metal music, Photography, Writing, reading, and investigating.

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

""Just so you know, there are plenty of places in Canada that are unwooded, so you don't have to visit a place near the woods. Mind you we do have a few lake monsters too! ""

did you know that canada is the monster capital of the world?  we have more unknown beasties than anywhere else,  i supposed its because of the vast area with the lack of people that something could survive without notice.  not to men tion the sheer amount of lakes.

i had heard numerouse tales of the wendigo (windigo) that refer to "large hairy spirits of the forest". tall humanoid figures that would approach camps and native settlments. they would stay amongst the trees but they would watch. they were called the wendigo. and they could be heard calling at night. on some occasions they would enter the encampment and abduct one of the inhabitants,  and carry them off into the woods never to be seen again.

all this sounds alot to me like the sasquatch.  and if you were to take timelines and areas. alot of them coincede with one another.  fort kent had many sasquatch encounters while building it. one story even told of a solder firing a musket at one,  only to be hit with a large rock in return. and there have eben storys in the passed of people being partialy devoured by something while out in the woods,  their half eaten remains being found with bitemarks to large to be that of a bear.

i believe that the sasquatch and the wendigo are one in the same.  

one other quick note,  im also from a small town in quebec :P  abd i once encountered a creature that somwhat resembles that of what steffy described.  ive posted about it on the site before.
Posted Image

#52 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

The version of the legend that I heard said that anyone could become a Wendigo.

If you ever once eat a piece of human flesh for any reason, knowingly or not, the hunger for more of it will grom in you.  You will become a raving mad monster with a craving for human flesh and eventually be transformed into A wendigo.

I always thought this legend may have developed from peoples experiences with those that were snowed in and developed cabin fever, perhaps required to indulge in cannibalism to survive.

That's just my wild guess, though.  You don't really need a reason for a story like this.

Canis

#53 joanalys

joanalys

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

it's kind of odd but when we first started looking up the fort kent legend, there was tons of stuff on the web. now there isn't hardly any.

#54 Avaren

Avaren

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

huh. i have never heard of this creature. but it does explain the eyes and movement i used to have seen out my window......So Canada has the most beasties......i thought it would have been Romania.

Edited by Avaren, 26 January 2009 - 08:24 AM.

~The more we learn the less we know~

#55 the_gray_jester

the_gray_jester

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Parapsychology, Metal music, Photography, Writing, reading, and investigating.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

the Wendigo ledgend has been around alot longer than any european settlments. its a native name and a native ledgend, it jsut got passed onto the settlers.

seems to be alot of canadians here lately :P
Posted Image

#56 BFG

BFG

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:31 AM

The one thing I think is creepy is knomes they give me the creeps even those cement ones for your yard. lol

#57 supernaturGal

supernaturGal

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Anything and everything supernatural! I love watching movies and TV (especially horror from A-Z grade, naturally), hiking, cross stitching, driving and reading. My fave authors are Dean Koontz, Graham Masterson, Karin Slaughter and Stephen King. I also have a comprehensive collection of non-fiction paranormal books.

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

The Supernatural episode 'Wendigo' is awesome!
Posted Image

#58 1 Samuel 28

1 Samuel 28

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Biblical scholar and Family Consultant who has always been intrigued by the paranormal. I am genuinely interested in people's beliefs about the supernatural. I have found my life's purpose in helping others and believe that truth is objective.

We can ALL be wrong, but we can't ALL be right...

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

I have also seen 2 movies about the "Wendigo"  The best & I believe most recent one was called "The Last Winter". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY_BXNvbr8E  

I think it has a very original plot.  Basically about how oil & fossil fuels are just buried dead things, and because they have been so drastically disturbed that Mother Earth bursts forth her vengeance in "wildlife spirit" form or "Wendigo"

Much of it seemed to be a jab at Big Oil & the rape of the natural world...

"I am not mad; there are colours that we cannot see.
And, God help me! the cursed Thing is of such a colour!"- Ambrose Bierce

#59 Night_Mystic

Night_Mystic

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

Just mentioning because it's kinda freaky,

Last year there was a a gruesome murder on a Greyhound bus in the province of Manitoba, somewhere between the city of Winnipeg and Portage La Prairie(I think). The killer was recently fired from a job where he delivered newspapers, and supposedly one of the last papers he delivered had an article of about the Wendigo legend. The Wendigo legend in the paper mentioned eating people...and well, you can kinda guess from here what the legend and the murder had in common...o.0

edit: found the article if you feel like reading

and my mistake, he wasn't fired from the newspaper job. I think it was closer to Brandon, Manitoba.

Edited by Night_Mystic, 30 January 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#60 supernaturGal

supernaturGal

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Anything and everything supernatural! I love watching movies and TV (especially horror from A-Z grade, naturally), hiking, cross stitching, driving and reading. My fave authors are Dean Koontz, Graham Masterson, Karin Slaughter and Stephen King. I also have a comprehensive collection of non-fiction paranormal books.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:02 PM

Oh my, Night_Mystic, that was positively morbid. Thanks for sharing that article, I hadn't heard about that one. Not sure what to make of it, although I think it was probably a severe attack of the crazies after reading a detailed article. Still no less scary though.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users