46 replies to this topic

#1 equus6

equus6

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

Who has a tattoo? Does it have special meaning? I'll start off. I have a tattoo on my left ankle of ocean waves and three dolphins swimmin in a circle. It has special meaning because the ocean is very dear to me. In Greek mythology, Dolphins carry the soul to the other side. In two weeks (I can't wait), I'm going to get a tattoo of a Great White Shark because they are one of the most facinating, misunderstood creatures on the planet-and I love them so much heart.gif . I will also be getting my son's name in his handwriting tattooed across my heart-cuz I love him even more heart.gif  heart.gif !!
Don't worry about the people in your past. There is a reason they didn't make it to your future....

#2 tinkerbella

tinkerbella

EVP

• GS Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:53 PM

They sound really awesome equus! smile.gif  I have three currently.  The first is the infamous butterfly on my lower back.  i'd wanted a tattoo since i was like five, and i wanted it to be a butterfly, so on my eighteenth birthday two of my friends got it for me... but it represents me coming into my own and also one of my best friends died right before my 18th birthday, so it also represents her not suffering anymore and being free.  The second is a turtle with a hibiscus in the center of it (hawaiian petroglyph style for the turtle) on my chest and represents home (since i grew up in Hawaii).  i LOVE turtles and they also stand for long life, accident prevention, and safe travels.  It works well since I travel a lot and am a complete klutz!  haha.  The third is on the top of my left foot and is a pisces symbol with a star above and below it.  I'm a pisces, so that's clear, and one star represents me, and one represents my friend that died, as she died under the pisces sign.  Instead of the line through the middle of the sign, it's a ring that wraps around the two sides, making it kind of celestial.  smile.gif  Anyway, i love all of my tattoos and they all mean something special to me.  I'm working on saving up for a fourth...

#3 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

I have 4 currently, the first 3 were just things i liked. A devil on my right shoulder, an angel on my left shoulder (although they represent the two sides to my personality wink.gif) I have a purple tribal rose on my wrist also.

My 4th tattoo was designed especially for me by a friend. It's a memorial to my grandmother who died in 1991 of breast cancer and incorporates the pink breast cancer ribbon. She helped bring me up after my father died so i wanted something special to remember her by.

Just after getting it done...

and a little more healed, a few days after...

"True Love Is Like Ghosts, Which Everyone Talks About But Few Have Seen"

#4 Dami

Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:10 PM

I have one lower back tat that means "perseverence" ...but that's because I'm 31 and every 31 year old woman at one time got a lower back tattoo around the late 90's.

And I have the following on my shoulder

niin zaagi  
niin ninde'
niin onji  
niin ingozis

It means my love, my heart, my reason, my son in my native Ojibwe.

Everyone Needs a Family Sanitorium...

典he wages of coming through life unscathed....is going through life untouched."    --  me.

#5 Guest_Silent Walker_*

Guest_Silent Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:34 AM

I have 9, a Tiger on my right upper arm (Leicester Tigers rugby). my first daughters name in a heart next to it, a Panther on my left upper arm (I used to do Taekwondo and my "master" was half man, half panther), my ex gf's name on my right shoulder, my current gf's nickname on the back of my neck, my youngest daughters name on the base of my spine, the chinese symbol for unity (Family) on my right lower arm, LCFC (Leicester City Football Club) on my chest and the Rammstein symbol with RAMMSTEIN on the center of my back (Big Rammstein fan!!)

I am having the Chinese symbol for Generations (Children) on my lower left arm in a month or so....

I love tattoo's...cant you tell!!lol

#6 bickolette

bickolette

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:18 AM

I have 5 tattoos.
I have my son's name on my wrist
I have a bat on my upper left arm
I have a group of stars on my upper right arm
I have bats at the base of my back and
I have a large bat across my upper back.

As you can tell I love bats lol

I hope to have more this year.
Posted Image

#7 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:07 AM

Okay I don't have any... yet... but am working up the nerve to get one. My comment is just generally regarding tats on the lower back for women. I read somewhere that a tat there has negative connotations. confused.gif But that seems to be a popular place.

#8 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,534 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:12 AM

I think there is a tattoo thread here somewhere from last year, but I ain't searching for it! Thinking about a stained glass tat next, and/or maybe something to  celebrate the upcoming wedding

I have 3 (so far)  Here is my first one. I knew I wanted something Celtic, so I was looking thru a Celtic art book and found this

This is my second, I always thought dragon tats were cool. I had a basic design which the artist redid, and it looks much cooler than my design

My fiance and I decided we wanted to get one with an Egyptian theme, and have the same tattoo (without doing something stupid like having our names on it) We had many ideas, and the artist came up with this. She has it on her upper back

Edited by Vlawde, 18 February 2008 - 06:14 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Dami

Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:40 AM

As for the negative connotation of the lower back tat, it's been called a "tramp stamp". The belief is a girl who would get a lower back tat must be without morals, loose, etc. Its just a continuation of a rather old world idea that girls  ANY with tattoos are amoral and promiscuous....and the lower back tattoo is ironically, a safe place for a daring girl to get one.  Easily covered up with clothes.  Its actually a derogatory term in the tat community.

I'm planning on getting a new one in the next year.  Its a rubber ducky on my hip. My little man's nickname has been Ducky (i.e. Pretty in Pink) since before my husband knew whether he was a boy or girl. (I always knew!) And since he has recently abdicated his throne on my hip, I'm having an impulse to keep him there somehow!
Everyone Needs a Family Sanitorium...

典he wages of coming through life unscathed....is going through life untouched."    --  me.

#10 Sass

Sass

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:58 AM

i have 2 so far, a white dove on the top of my arm with my  late son`s name underneath and a celtic design that has the initials of my other children and tomorrow i am going to get one done on the inside of my wrist, its 2 swallows by Benjamin Chee to signify my parents passing a fair few years ago.

Benjamin Chee Chee

Never inserted a link before  so here goes lol

if this doesnt work then just copy and paste the addy and its about the 5th one down, Swallows

Edited by Sass, 18 February 2008 - 08:02 AM.

A positive something is better than a negative anything

A man in love is incomplete until he has married..Then he's finished

http://www.myspace.com/raven_looney

#11 equus6

equus6

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:35 AM

Everyone's tattoos are really beautiful. I get annoyed that society still views tattoos as taboo. I feel it is the persons business. Like I said about mine, it's personal to me. Tattoos are addictive. Just like 'tater chips, usually you can't stop at one rolleyes.gif I have a friend who is really into RockaBilly. She has some of the coolest tattoos. I can't wait to get my next two. Lady Sorbus, don't worry. It really dosen't hurt to get one. The skin sorta goes numb. Really, it is an expression of you. Don't let what others think sway you from getting one if you really want one. If you really want one, its going to eat at you until you do!! crazy.gif I have enjoyed mine and can't wait for more!
Don't worry about the people in your past. There is a reason they didn't make it to your future....

#12 JennLynn

JennLynn

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Anything that makes you go "hmmmmmm?????"

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:54 AM

I just love everyone's!  I want one so bad and as soon as I start back to work I plan to start saving for one and it will take a lot of saving.  I want a pair of boney wings to appear to ripping out of my back done in black and white with red where it is comming out of the skin.  I want someone really good to do it.  I also want to get a brest cancer awareness tat in memory of my grandmother and for my mom (survived twice).

#13 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(equus6 @ Feb 18 2008, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone's tattoos are really beautiful. I get annoyed that society still views tattoos as taboo. I feel it is the persons business. Like I said about mine, it's personal to me. Tattoos are addictive. Just like 'tater chips, usually you can't stop at one rolleyes.gif I have a friend who is really into RockaBilly. She has some of the coolest tattoos. I can't wait to get my next two. Lady Sorbus, don't worry. It really dosen't hurt to get one. The skin sorta goes numb. Really, it is an expression of you. Don't let what others think sway you from getting one if you really want one. If you really want one, its going to eat at you until you do!! crazy.gif I have enjoyed mine and can't wait for more!

LOL thanks equus. And dami. Well I need the nerve and I also need someone to go with me.

#14 Ubriaca

Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(equus6 @ Feb 17 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who has a tattoo? Does it have special meaning?

I have one.
It means nothing...seriously.
It's a stupid Hawaiian Island Cretions flower on my left hip that I got when I was too young to drink. I found it ironic that I was legal to get a tattoo but not get drunk.

I forget that I have it, and the only time that I seem to remember is when I am dating someone *new* and they mention it.

Oh, and btw, I am pretty sure the tramp stamp connotation was created by a bunch of guys who couldn't pull chicks. So instead of them looking bad, they had to be sexist...typical. It's also called a bulls eye. Use your imagination.

Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

#15 equus6

equus6

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(Lady Sorbus @ Feb 18 2008, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL thanks equus. And dami. Well I need the nerve and I also need someone to go with me.
OK everybody! ROAD TRIP! th_sarcastic_blum.gif
QUOTE(JennLynn @ Feb 18 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just love everyone's!  I want one so bad and as soon as I start back to work I plan to start saving for one and it will take a lot of saving.  I want a pair of boney wings to appear to ripping out of my back done in black and white with red where it is comming out of the skin.  I want someone really good to do it.  I also want to get a brest cancer awareness tat in memory of my grandmother and for my mom (survived twice).
That sound really awesome!

Edited by equus6, 18 February 2008 - 05:56 PM.

#16 Cambion

Cambion

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

I also don't have any tats yet, but I would like to get one. I want one somewhere that is not plainly visible, so no forearm, hand, face or neck tats. And I haven't a clue what I want to get inked into my skin - I want to put a lot of thought into it because I don't want to get something this permanent injected into me only to hate it a couple months later. My first idea is to get either a black five-point star or a red five-point star with a black outline tattooed on my shoulder blade - something fairly small (no bigger than 4" all around).

My other idea - which I know someone will laugh at - is to get the Ninja Turtle Donatello tattooed on my shoulder blade. I know people have gotten far worse things tattooed on them, but I'm iffy about this idea because I don't know if I'll still love it in the future.

#17 JennLynn

JennLynn

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Anything that makes you go &quot;hmmmmmm?????&quot;

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

Thanks equus6!  I have had that idea for about 6 years now so I am sure about it.  When I get it I will be sure to post it for all of y'all to see!   Picture 510.gif

#18 fbjewels

fbjewels

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:My kids, Reading, the Paranormal, Useless Movie Trivia

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

I guess I've got a "tramp stamp", though I definitely disagree with that term!  It's two dragons with their tails entwined in an "infinity" symbol.  I definitely want another, but my husband isn't really into it...I wish I could talk him into getting one with me!

#19 equus6

equus6

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

I love dragons. I want to get a dragon tat somewhere. That's what I have the biggest problem with is where to put 'um! I also want to get one to honor my mother, and another to honor my father. I love the Egyptian tats Vlawde has. Heck, if I get all the tattoos I want, I'll look like Tommy Lee!! EEEKKKK!!! Seriously though, I want a breast cancer ribbon for my survivor mom, a nautical tattoo for my Navy dad, a dragon and something Egyptian for my son (he's really into both). Jewels, I like the idea with your dragons.

Edited by equus6, 19 February 2008 - 02:59 PM.

#20 Aslan

Aslan

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:15 PM

i have a big one - it would be really hard to photograph - it covers my right shoulder and runs down my arm and up onto my neck a little

its a hunting dragon surrounded by ginko leaves and coming through clouds of fire

i also have a small sun on my left shoulder - tribal type - got it in hawaii when i was in the navy

the sun doesnt mean anything other than to mark that time in my life

the dragon is from when i came home early and found my first wife making out with another guy

but hey

what did i expect working from 7am to 10pm everyday?
hard lesson that one - hurt pretty bad

what were we talking about?

id like to get another with my daughters name on my forearm
Posted Image

a new chapter begins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users