31 replies to this topic

#1 brewingaz

brewingaz

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

Ok,
So over the last few years, my wife and I play a rainfall sound for white noise that helps us fall asleep at night. It works wonderfully, except there are times where it is really difficult to fall asleep.  This is because there have been times when my wife and I have heard music playing through it, kids crying (faint enough to sound like it's coming from our kids bedrooms) etc.  We have not heard the music in a long time, but recently I've "heard" my son and daughter calling out to mommy or daddy, only to find them fast asleep. When I return to bed, sound still playing, I hear what sounds like them again. Is the white noise something that may trigger into our subconscious when we are trying to sleep and make us think we are hearing things that aren't there? We are usually wide awake when we hear these things. In some cases, one of us may hear it, and the other doesn't, but sometimes we both do. Does playing things like white noise give spirits an opportunity to be vocal?

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,703 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

It's a common phenomena, kind of like visual pareidolia but audio. Just like our mind tries to make sense of pixels, clouds etc, we try and make sense out of random noise. I use a sound machine, before that I always had a fan running for that white noise most of my life. And I can hear what sounds like music, conversations etc.  But there's nothing paranormal making that noise
Posted Image

#3 brewingaz

brewingaz

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

Good to know! While I enjoy doing investigations of paranormal activity (spirits, ghosts, etc.), I don't want it in my home ha ha.

#4 monzaria

monzaria

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:07 AM

It's been awhile since I've read into that subject. Can't recall if it was a book or a research paper (from ITC.org, etc) But some studies indicate while you're in the in between state (just about to fall asleep) is when the veil is thinnest and it's the easiest time for spirits to talk directly to you. It could be just spirits passing by, loved ones, or one's not born yet. (there have been numerous cases of people getting a little spirit activity before they, or their spouse, becomes pregnant).

Like I said, it's been a few years since I've read about it so can't remember exactly where. But try the older books (from the 60's onward when they were taking new scientific approaches not to prove spirits, but just to talk to the other side), or even start with ITC.org.

I wouldn't worry about it at all, not unless you start hearing specific things like some one asking who you are, they need help, etc....

#5 brewingaz

brewingaz

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

HA HA there better NOT be an unborn coming our way! We are done with our two kids I tell you! HA HA

#6 monzaria

monzaria

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

My husband, when we were just dating at the time (2006), would always see a little blond hair kid (toddler size) running around. He would only see it out of the corner of his eye. We dismissed it, even though I already knew that happens sometimes before having kids. I've been told after having my oldest that there's still a boy and girl running around me and that they're my future kids. We got married in 2007 and towards the end of that year I got preggers (not planed). lmao....so now we have a sandy blond tall for a 2 1/2 yr old boy running around......lmao

#7 brewingaz

brewingaz

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:17 AM

LOL Crazy!  Well, after our second, I took "measurements" to alter my "plumbing" and so I shouldn't be able to get my wife pregnant again lol.  So, I HOPE it isn't a future kid running around my house!

#8 monzaria

monzaria

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

lmao

We haven't done that......yet......we do want another one, but planned this time ;)

But I keep my ears open just in case my Hubby starts talking about seeing who he thought was or 2 1/2yr old running around. Then I can always set the calendar to 1 1/2 yrs (hopefully not less this time). lol

#9 brewingaz

brewingaz

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

Hey Monzaria, I just realized you're in Chandler, AZ.  I'm in Gilbert. We're practically neighbors!

#10 greeneyes

greeneyes

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal of course, old movies, antiques ,history, old houses. Basically if it's old and spooky, I love it!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

I use a white noise machine to fall asleep as well, and have heard strange music. Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from another part of the house, I go into the other room and hear nothing, come back and I can still hear it. I have shut the machine off and swear I can still faintly hear it. My husband has never heard it. Maybe the white noise triggers something in some people and not in others? I'm glad that I'm not the only one experiencing this, I was beginning to think I was cracking up!

#11 monzaria

monzaria

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:34 AM

brewingaz, on 24 January 2011 - 10:40 AM, said:

Hey Monzaria, I just realized you're in Chandler, AZ.  I'm in Gilbert. We're practically neighbors!

lol...yeppers :)

Native to AZ, grew up in Tempe, I remember when half of the roads in Chandler and Gilbert were either small two lanes or dirt roads. It's amazing how much has changed here.....

How long have you been in AZ?

#12 monzaria

monzaria

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:41 AM

greeneyes, on 26 January 2011 - 09:03 AM, said:

I use a white noise machine to fall asleep as well, and have heard strange music. Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from another part of the house, I go into the other room and hear nothing, come back and I can still hear it. I have shut the machine off and swear I can still faintly hear it. My husband has never heard it. Maybe the white noise triggers something in some people and not in others? I'm glad that I'm not the only one experiencing this, I was beginning to think I was cracking up!

It just reminds me of an account that a person called "ghost radio" (read this back in 99 I think?) It started that way, then after a few nights they could hear more and realize it was an old time radio station they were tuning into right before they drift off to sleep. They also heard conversations and sometimes those voices were talking about them.

I don't remember if it was from one of the many books that talk about the parallel dimensions and different vibrations etc.....but that is the time when our guard's down and we're more open to that phenomena.

What I find funny is when people hear music from white noise it's never rap, heavy metal, etc.....it's either classical, band stand (from the 20's and 30's). Makes you wonder...... ;)

#13 brewingaz

brewingaz

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

monzaria, on 27 January 2011 - 07:34 AM, said:

lol...yeppers :)

Native to AZ, grew up in Tempe, I remember when half of the roads in Chandler and Gilbert were either small two lanes or dirt roads. It's amazing how much has changed here.....

How long have you been in AZ?

Pretty  much my whole life. Moved here when I was 2 years old, so I'm pretty much native too.

monzaria, on 27 January 2011 - 07:41 AM, said:

It just reminds me of an account that a person called "ghost radio" (read this back in 99 I think?) It started that way, then after a few nights they could hear more and realize it was an old time radio station they were tuning into right before they drift off to sleep. They also heard conversations and sometimes those voices were talking about them.

I don't remember if it was from one of the many books that talk about the parallel dimensions and different vibrations etc.....but that is the time when our guard's down and we're more open to that phenomena.

What I find funny is when people hear music from white noise it's never rap, heavy metal, etc.....it's either classical, band stand (from the 20's and 30's). Makes you wonder...... ;)

Yes, I hear bandstand when I hear the music!

#14 monzaria

monzaria

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

Ditto on the bandstand. :)

Only I don't use white noise. lol

#15 brewingaz

brewingaz

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

The "white noise" sound I use is rainfall. Not the static sounds. I tend to hear more when the noise is static though ha ha. Maybe I'm just losing my mind.

#16 xxxZombieRina

xxxZombieRina

Orb

• GS Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

monzaria, on 27 January 2011 - 07:41 AM, said:

Maybe the reason that its always old time music is because if it was music from now, nobody would really report it, they'd probably ignore and think its the neighbors music, but with older music, its creepier because nobodies really used to it nowadays? just a suggestion.

#17 Stormy8

Stormy8

Orb

• GS Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

This happens to me all the time and has for years.  I've use fans/noise machines, etc. for about 20 years and have heard lots of things while using it and I totally agree it is your mind trying to make sense of chopped up bits of noise.  For me I find it's anticipatory as well, like if I hear a barking dog, sometimes I'll hear it (at night) even if has stopped.  Just this morning I was hearing a 'bumping' noise with the white noise machine on, I  turned the machine off and it disappears. :lol:

#18 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,703 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

I used to have neighbors who had a subwoofer that they often played at night. With the white noise sometimes I'd swear I could hear it, but if I got and and really listenend, they didnt have it on...I was anticipating that they would. I even thought I could hear the song!

Edited by Vlawde, 30 January 2011 - 09:39 PM.

Posted Image

#19 lilypad

lilypad

Apport

• GS Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

This  happens to me, too, not with white noise machines but with fans I use in my bedroom - not to block out noise, simply to keep me cool enough to sleep in warm weather (middle-aged woman here...).  

Wen it happens, I am usually reading in bed and totally engrossed in a book. While usually when I hear these noises, they sound either like music (ranging from Celtic to rock to instrumental), people having conversations (usually tonelessly), or, in the freakiest manifestation, I hear my name called and not just my name...one time when I was reading in bed, I clearly heard my dead grandfather's voice coming through my fan very loudly and clearly saying my name followed by my sister's name (he could never tell us apart - let me add that she lives 40 miles from me). My grandfather died many years ago, and to be honest, I hadn't thought of him in years, so I simply don't buy that my mind would subconsciously be arranging formless sound into a startling facsimile of his voice repeating names he once spoke.

But here's where I really yield to no one in my belief that these sounds are not simply produced by white noise - one night a couple of years ago, I heard similar noises when I had no fan on.  It was very late on a cold winter's night, and I was reading in bed as usual when all of a sudden I heard muted voices that sounded exactly like the "white noise" kind of voices - sounded like a group of people talking but the voices were muted and I couldn't understand anything. I began to get a little freaked out as they droned on and on - then to my horror I heard a woman laughing loudly over the voices. I felt almost as if the laugh was deliberately directed at me.  Then the voices became louder and louder, and seemed to move to downstairs in my house to the point where it sounded like there was a party in my living room!

I was scared, but I grabbed my phone and began to creep downstairs...the voices stopped when I was halfway down the stairs.

So, I don't know what I heard but I do know it wasn't all in my head!

#20 RedWyv3

RedWyv3

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

I think the spirit realm must be pretty boring, because they sure seem to like to play pranks on us! :)

Warning: My intelligence is only surpassed by my ability to feign stupidity.
Member of Pasadena Paranormal Research Team
You can find me at:  My Google+ Profile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users