34 replies to this topic

#1 NYD

NYD

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Knitting, Medieval Reenactment, drawing, natural health

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:45 AM

I'm still a little sceptical towards crystals. I know it has been scientifically proven that they hold a form of energy, and increase a person's energy when holding a stone...but when I read what certain crystals are "good for", I can't help but wonder "how do they know that?"...

Is it all just knowledge that was passed on?

I wish there was a bit more science about it...because considering the different make up of every crystal, there might be truth to them having a different for of energy.

This site talks about the use of crystals...if that was true I'd decorate the whole house with them ;P

http://www.texasghos...sts-and-demons/

Protection from negative energies: black kyanite, black obsidian, black onyx, black tourmaline (transmutes to positive energy), bornite, celestite, citrine, elestial crystals, jet (absorbs negative energies), katanganite, kunzite, peacock ore, plancheite, quartz and smoky quartz (especially in healing).
Protection for children: agate (especially blue lace agate and green moss agate), jade, malachite, ruby and mother of pearl (for newborn infants in particular).
Grounding: agate, apache tears, bloodstone, boji stones (Kansas pop rocks), brecciated jasper, candle quartz, carnelian, cuprite, dalmatian jasper, fluorite, garnet, hematite, obsidian, salt, smoky quartz, tiger iron (mugglestone), topaz and unakite.

Angelic communication and protection: angelite, amethyst flowers, aquamarine, blue lace agate, celestite, danburite, moonstone, morganite, muscovite and selenite.

Edited by NYD, 04 November 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#2 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

View PostNYD, on 04 November 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

I'm still a little sceptical towards crystals. I know it has been scientifically proven that they hold a form of energy, and increase a person's energy when holding a stone...but when I read what certain crystals are "good for", I can't help but wonder "how do they know that?"...

Uh not that I'm aware of.  To my knowledge science says they are just rocks. Some mineral compositions can have useful and interesting interactive properties with various applied energies but I'm pretty sure that's the extent to which "science" can be applied here. Pretty much everything else is from religions, philosophies, personal beliefs and general Posted Image
- siguie -

#3 NYD

NYD

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:58 PM

View Postsiguie, on 04 November 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

Uh not that I'm aware of.  To my knowledge science says they are just rocks. Some mineral compositions can have useful and interesting interactive properties with various applied energies but I'm pretty sure that's the extent to which "science" can be applied here. Pretty much everything else is from religions, philosophies, personal beliefs and general Posted Image

From what I read a camera was developed that can photograph and measure energy levels. That is how what I described was tested...a person's energy and then different gem stones energy.

Also, think of crystal quartz watches. There is some science to it and I am interested to hear if anyone knows more about them than just being rocks.

If they really should hold energy it makes sense that different stones, with different physical properties could have an effect on other types of energy. I don't think it is all too far fetched.

#4 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

The camera you're talking about is kirlian photography.  I suggest you search it and read accounts on both sides of the aisle.  It is not generally accepted in the scientific community.

I do use stones for grounding and protection sometimes.  I'm not super into them but I also think there is something to their properties.  I choose stones that hum pleasantly and feel warm when I pick them up.  For the generic protection jewelry I make for people (I give it away) I use quartz -- which is supposed to be good for clearing and amplifying the properties of other stones -- hematite -- which is supposed to be a protective stone -- and amethyst -- which is supposed to be a healing stone.  I have picked up and given away random other stones at various times (I pick them up because they tell me to bring them home and I give them away when I get a nudge to bring my stones and then another nudge saying "give this one to this person.").  I think a lot of their power comes from the principle of mind over matter -- in other words a placebo effect.  But then some of them hum pleasantly when I pick them up where others don't.
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#5 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

Yeah the kirilian stuff is a tad questionable and I know of no "subtle human energies" that are accepted by "science" :no:

Oh and quartz in a quartz watch is just part of an oscillator circuit. The quartz doesn't power anything it just vibrates very evenly ... kind of like a quartz pendulum.

That said I've made a bazilliopn orgonites with all sorts of stones and coils :yes: but I'm an insensitive so they are all just rocks and blocks to me BUT that doesn't mean there isn't anything to all of it :no:
- siguie -

#6 NYD

NYD

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

Hm..I have noticed the sensation of warmth too in some stones. I have tested several stones at night to see if anything changes about my dreams. I did feel a change, but like you said...it could have been a Placebo effect.
Though I generally don't believe in them too much. I know the camera is not considered solid science, but not worthless either.

What I find interesting that many seem to have success with black stones like black tourmaline or obsidian when it comes to negative energy. I have heard of people placing the stones around the house...and since I have problems with things shaking and moving I thought this would be a convenient fix :lol: ....

But I really don't know about this...or other things people have suggested to me (oils...)

#7 salizander

salizander

Apport

• GS Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:15 PM

NYD -Where did you find out that it's been "scientifically proven" that a stone increases a person's energy when they hold it?

#8 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:16 AM

View Postsalizander, on 07 November 2014 - 11:15 PM, said:

NYD -Where did you find out that it's been "scientifically proven" that a stone increases a person's energy when they hold it?

Ever hear of a Transistor. One of many jobs of a transistor is to AMPLIFY.

#9 NYD

NYD

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostCDS, on 08 November 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

View Postsalizander, on 07 November 2014 - 11:15 PM, said:

Kirlian photography like some mentioned. I read about it on a website about gemstone energy a while back. I can't remember the name of the site though.

#10 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

Well a transistor might "amplify" a signal but it certainly can't increase energy ... which is neither created nor destroyed ... also quartz is an insulator so in order to use it in components like transistors it needs to be doped or mixed with impurities to create a semiconductor.

I wouldn't worry about the "science" aspect of stones :no: If something works for you that's really good enough :yes:

As for negative energy reduction using "black stones" you may want to try "apache tears" ... they are basically obsidian pebbles which are fairly cheap and easy to get :yes:

I've made a number of orgonite thangs with apache tears and powdered charcoal which are supposed to "eliminate" or somehow reprocess negative energy. Thay are really quite cheap and easy to make yourself :yes:

Other than stones you may want to pick up some "saint medals", have a local priest bless them and bury them at "the corners of your property" ... which is supposed to help :)
- siguie -

#11 salizander

salizander

Apport

• GS Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

And that's been "scientifically proven" to increase energy in HUMANS with what evidence?

The phrase "scientifically proven" was used to describe the energy increase in humans.

Saying that a transistor amplifies isn't evidence that energy is increased in humans.

The OP used the phrase, so I would like to know where this info came from.

#12 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:32 AM

Salizander, you're coming off a bit aggressive and confrontational.

The photographic process is, indeed, called Kirlian photography.  Some people consider it to be a replicable, scientific process.  Others do not.  It is generally not accepted in the traditional scientific community.  This has already been discussed in the thread. The vast majority of what we discuss on the site is not generally accepted in the traditional scientific community.
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#13 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:35 PM

Heya NYD I'm really sorry about derailing your thread with the "science" question :(

Thanxz Tantric Kitten for the step in :yes:

I'm pretty sure NYD is just looking for some  advice/assistance in regards to her first post "Increasingly Strange Events" ... so lets drop the sciencing angle please :)
- siguie -

#14 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:18 PM

I get a little frustrated when an observed effect is dismissed unless and until it can be scientifically proven.  The problem I have with this is that science doesn't know everything, and many things we can see baffle science.  It's not about jumping on the WOO bandwagon and wildly chasing every odd theory.  It's more about being able to observe effects and say we don't know why something works, but it does seem to.

On that note, I have to say that a whole lot of people report that using, say, black tourmaline in a place where there seems to be activity will diminish it.  Many would argue the woo even to go as far as the possibility of any paranormal activity existing in the first place.  So a silly stone making a pretend thing go away just seems like more woo.

But, let's just keep open minds about the possibility for a moment.  If it works, do we even need to know exactly why?  Does no scientific validation mean that observed effects must be false?

Edited by DarkShadow, 09 November 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#15 NYD

NYD

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

Yes, like some mentioned, I wasn't looking for hardcore science....just interested in that bit of science I found and wanted to know more.
I agree with DarkShadow

The problem I have with this is that science doesn't know everything, and many things we can see baffle science.  It's not about jumping on the WOO bandwagon and wildly chasing every odd theory.  It's more about being able to observe effects and say we don't know why something works, but it does seem to.

Very interesting about the Apache Tears siguie, thanks!
I have never thought of medals...interesting. I was thinking about taking a bit of holy water though, but I thought I would look silly bottling water at a church ;) And I always wonder whether a priest will believe me regarding paranormal things.

#16 herenow

herenow

Orb

• GS Member
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:History, Supernatural, Occult, Witchcraft, Nature

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

I'm with CDS on this. Quartz does increase power (amplification).
Though I've never worked with crystals, I do get a buzz from a quartz outcropping in the woods I write about.
And for the scientific angle, look up "piezoelectric effect".  
It is science.  It is a fact.

#17 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

View Postsalizander, on 08 November 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

And that's been "scientifically proven" to increase energy in HUMANS with what evidence?

The phrase "scientifically proven" was used to describe the energy increase in humans.

Saying that a transistor amplifies isn't evidence that energy is increased in humans.

The OP used the phrase, so I would like to know where this info came from.

I'm not going to do your homework for you...

You should check out piezoelectric crystals, and Germanium.

#18 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

View PostNYD, on 09 November 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

I have never thought of medals...interesting. I was thinking about taking a bit of holy water though, but I thought I would look silly bottling water at a church ;) And I always wonder whether a priest will believe me regarding paranormal things.

I've picked up holy water before and they really don't mind :no: Apparently many people bottle some to bless homes and what not ... I just left a donation as a thank you and was off. I'd also recommend sterilizing it if you are going to keep it for more than a few days though.

As for the priest believing you ... I'm sure it will depend on the priest, and I think they are required to politely ask some questions to rule out various mental issues ... other than that this is kind of their thing so they better believe you :yes: Also they might be able to give you a few pointers on what you should do with the water or medals  :)
- siguie -

#19 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

View PostNYD, on 09 November 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

At my church, next to the candles by the altar, they actually have a barrel (it almost looks like a keg) with a spigot specifically for parishoners/guests to use to fill any vials or bottles they wish to.  So, it's not as strange as you might think ;)

As far as priests believing you, you can generally tell whether they'll take you seriously or suggest you go to counseling.

....and now back to our regularly scheduled thread :)
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#20 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:53 AM

View PostDarkShadow, on 09 November 2014 - 06:18 PM, said:

I get a little frustrated when an observed effect is dismissed unless and until it can be scientifically proven.  The problem I have with this is that science doesn't know everything, and many things we can see baffle science.  It's not about jumping on the WOO bandwagon and wildly chasing every odd theory.  It's more about being able to observe effects and say we don't know why something works, but it does seem to.

On that note, I have to say that a whole lot of people report that using, say, black tourmaline in a place where there seems to be activity will diminish it.  Many would argue the woo even to go as far as the possibility of any paranormal activity existing in the first place.  So a silly stone making a pretend thing go away just seems like more woo.

But, let's just keep open minds about the possibility for a moment.  If it works, do we even need to know exactly why?  Does no scientific validation mean that observed effects must be false?

I don't think that's quite the issue here, I think the "but science" comes up when the opening question suggests that X or Y "has been scientifically proven" but then uses non-sciency stuff to support it as science.

IMHO if a placebo works, it works, and it no longer matters that it's a "placebo".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users