Aim Closing Down

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 ShawnGStudy

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations, Horror Movies, Music, Traveling, Meeting New People, Sports, Friends, Chatting, Video Games, Concerts, Food, TV, New Experiences, Having A Good Time, Laughing, Making Others Laugh, Helping Others.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

Now I know not many people use instant messaging apps much anymore but I thought this might be worth posting. AOL Instant Messenger has decided to shut down. I remember in my younger days I would come home from school and jump on AIM and would be talking to friends for hours. It basically what I call today as the "original" texting. I haven't used the service for quite a few years now but I have some great memories of using the service. The last day that AIM will be available to use will be December 15th.

Here's an article here about it if you're interested in reading more... http://www.newsfacto...id=0300029F51N0
My Signature
Your Leading Gettysburg Paranormal Authority
Twitter: @WinFBLeague

#2 Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:21 AM

I used the service a lot many, many years go... then Tom Hanks brought a lot of attention to it in the hit movie, "You've Got Mail". It was the best messenger service back in the day.  :)  I used AOL's chat rooms on occasion as well.
My Signature
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#3 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,641 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

I remember everyone seemed to use AOL mail back in the day, and they had those CDs to use their dialup service. Like dialup, AOL/AIM has gone the way of the dinosaur. Between yahoo messenger, Facebook messenger, Skype and other programs, there are toms of ways to talk to people online
My Signature
Posted Image

#4 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

I used Yahoo Messenger more than AIM, but still enjoyed AIM.  Sad to see it shut down...  My wife and I used AIM to talk to each other before we started dating.  She was going to school in Idaho at the time :)
My Signature

Posted Image

"Life doesn't get easier...

You just get stronger."

#5 ShawnGStudy

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations, Horror Movies, Music, Traveling, Meeting New People, Sports, Friends, Chatting, Video Games, Concerts, Food, TV, New Experiences, Having A Good Time, Laughing, Making Others Laugh, Helping Others.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

I used to use Yahoo messenger more as well. Those were the days when Yahoo games were very popular. I had to use both including MSN messenger because the friends I had at school always had a preference. Lol.
My Signature

#6 earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

It was never a big thing for me in Australia, but we had something similar called 'msn messenger' an I was on there for hours... oh the cost of my internet browsing was extraordinary back in the old dial up modem days!
My Signature
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#7 moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:28 PM

I remember using it too. I thought it had already shut down.

#8 ShawnGStudy

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:14 PM

Haha yes, MSN messenger was another I used. Not as much as the others but I do remember it. It seems like it was AOL, Yahoo then MSN when it came to popularity for me.
My Signature

#9 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,641 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted Today, 04:47 PM

That's right, msn messenger! I think that's the first one I used. Microsoft has since replaced it with Skype
My Signature
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com