• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jptuk

jptuk

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Psychology and belief systems. Astronomy, science, art photography and DJing.

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:53 AM

Feel free to make up your own words, it seems like some researchers in the paranormal field make up their own too and people do use them, but you won't find them in any dictionary.

Ad ridiculum (Latin: "delusion to the ridiculous") - my fallacy is better than your fallacy, fallacy

A N A L - (acronym for excessive scientific attention to detail)
Assumption
No
Apparitions
Likely

A Boniface - a pub landlord who tells everyone his establishment is haunted to get people into his pub.

Flesh Bias (exists) - Depriving all your physical senses of external stimuli to tap into the transcendental ego, and thats why ghost hunters do it in the dark.

Fluffery - 'a gullibility trap' fake articles written by ultra-skeptics both academic and none-academic for people willing to believe or trust too readily, esp. without proper or adequate evidence, also used in catching out fake mediums who research the internet.

Orbs (don't exist) - Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus poop (exists)

A Pareidoholic - (pareidolia exists) a disorder characterized by compulsive and uncontrolled persistence of seeing ghosts everywhere.

Scientimythicalists - a scientific paranormal group 'woo' believe in ghosts and spirits.

The Thatsaloadable Effect - to define how some persons who are confronted with evidence that clashes with their belief system come to hold their original position even more strongly

Xenonormal - (a word that originated on the ASSAP website) something that appears to be of paranormal origin, eg. a sight, sound or a smell, but is most likely to be the cat taking a dump and you haven't realized or some other naturally occurring incident that no one can figure out.

Zooludicrous - When a pet owner says, 'The cat and dog saw the ghost too' ???
Cert.Ppsy SCOP

#2 Creature man

Creature man

The Everchanging User

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Please, Do I need to answer that??

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:17 AM

Peeper (Adj.)- Any Ghost, Poltergist, or DPS (Demonic Paranormal State) That Pops Up Unclearly For a Short moment occasionally

LudWick Haunting (Adj.)- When someone's Mind is Tricked into seeing Something Paranormal that isn't there, then proclaiming a Haunting.

Fakiuos Paranormulis (verb)- The Claim that when your alone, your being watched, and if your walkig in a hall, something is following you that isn't real.
I like the part where it went "WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP"

Skullcandy is awesome, I got new headphones(finally!!)!

#3 jptuk

jptuk

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Psychology and belief systems. Astronomy, science, art photography and DJing.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:31 AM

hehe, brilliant creature man, I demand more  :good:
Cert.Ppsy SCOP

#4 Guest_Silent Walker_*

Guest_Silent Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:07 AM

The Gordon Brown - A particullar nasty experience where a demon takes on the guise of a frindly spirit to obtain their confidence!!

LibDem - A disembodied Voice!!

Ooooh.....not like me to be a bit political!!

Mods - If this breaks any rules whatsoever, please remove......
Moderator Note:I don't see a big problem here. This is not a serious attempt at a political statement.  if it bothers someone, let me know. Canis 11/24/10

#5 jptuk

jptuk

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:44 AM

View PostSilent Walker, on 24 November 2010 - 09:07 AM, said:

The Gordon Brown - A particullar nasty experience where a demon takes on the guise of a frindly spirit to obtain their confidence!!LibDem - A disembodied Voice!!Ooooh.....not like me to be a bit political!! Mods - If this breaks any rules whatsoever, please remove......

Haha... :Picture 524:
Cert.Ppsy SCOP

#6 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

Poltergassed:  The presence of a mysterious odor that nobody in the room seems to be able to explain.

#7 PumpkinWraith

PumpkinWraith

1D's #1 Fan

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts
  • Interests:Mainly my family and chatting to and getting to know the many good friends I've made here over the years. I love Rock, Metal and alternative music as well as having a profound interest in the paranormal.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

View PostSilent Walker, on 24 November 2010 - 09:07 AM, said:

The Gordon Brown - A particullar nasty experience where a demon takes on the guise of a frindly spirit to obtain their confidence!!

LibDem - A disembodied Voice!!

Ooooh.....not like me to be a bit political!!

Mods - If this breaks any rules whatsoever, please remove......
Moderator Note:I don't see a big problem here. This is not a serious attempt at a political statement.  if it bothers someone, let me know. Canis 11/24/10

:happy0194:  

View PostCaniswalensisGStudy, on 24 November 2010 - 10:15 AM, said:

Poltergassed:  The presence of a mysterious odor that nobody in the room seems to be able to explain.

And to relate...

Ectospasm:  The gooey mess left behind from an entity with IBS

Posted Image

The Aliens said I could take a friend next time. Apply below ......but no mad people!

I <3 One Direction. Harry 4Ever!

#8 jptuk

jptuk

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

View PostCaniswalensisGStudy, on 24 November 2010 - 10:15 AM, said:

Haha...and don't forget the beeryfart, a silent negative entity, that will knock you off your feet at twenty paces  :fighting0072:
Cert.Ppsy SCOP

#9 PumpkinWraith

PumpkinWraith

1D's #1 Fan

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts
  • Interests:Mainly my family and chatting to and getting to know the many good friends I've made here over the years. I love Rock, Metal and alternative music as well as having a profound interest in the paranormal.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

Good greif! :blink:   Imagine having those three in one room.  You wouldn't stick around for long.  Your EMF meter would probably pass out before you did.  :Picture 483:

Posted Image

The Aliens said I could take a friend next time. Apply below ......but no mad people!

#10 jptuk

jptuk

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:47 AM

View PostPumpkinWraithGStudy, on 24 November 2010 - 10:44 AM, said:

Good greif! :blink:   Imagine having those three in one room.  You wouldn't stick around for long.  Your EMF meter would probably pass out before you did.  :Picture 483:

Hahah...  :investigate: dont strike that match lol
Cert.Ppsy SCOP

#11 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

View PostPumpkinWraithGStudy, on 24 November 2010 - 10:44 AM, said:

In this case, EMF stands for "Emitted Methane Fragrance."

#12 PumpkinWraith

PumpkinWraith

1D's #1 Fan

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

View PostCaniswalensisGStudy, on 24 November 2010 - 11:55 AM, said:

Yes, that is exactly what I meant ;)

Spectoral:  Vain apparition with impressive chest area.

Debate: What you put in de room when you want to catch de ghost.

Septic:  An infectious non believer.

Santa Clause:  Figmet of your imagination.  Much like UFO and The Loch Ness Monster

Posted Image

#13 jptuk

jptuk

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:20 PM

View PostCaniswalensisGStudy, on 24 November 2010 - 11:55 AM, said:

good one haha

View PostPumpkinWraithGStudy, on 24 November 2010 - 12:56 PM, said:

Yes, that is exactly what I meant ;) Spectoral:  Vain apparition with impressive chest area.Debate: What you put in de room when you want to catch de ghost.Septic:  An infectious non believer.Santa Clause:  Figmet of your imagination.  Much like UFO and The Loch Ness Monster

Cracking  :jumping0045:
Cert.Ppsy SCOP

#14 jptuk

jptuk

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

In alphabetical order:D

Ad ridiculum (Latin: "delusion to the ridiculous") - my fallacy is better than your fallacy, fallacy (by JPTuk)

A N A L - (acronym for excessive scientific attention to detail)
Assumption
No
Apparitions
Likely (by JPTuk)

The Beeryfart - a silent negative entity, that will knock you off your feet at twenty paces. (by JPTuk)

A Boniface - a pub landlord who tells everyone his establishment is haunted to get people into his pub. (by JPTuk)

Debate - What you put in de room when you want to catch de ghost. (by PumpkinWraithGStudy)

Ectospasm - The gooey mess left behind from an entity with IBS (by PumpkinWraithGStudy)

EMF - Emitted Methane Fragrance (by CaniswalensisGStudy)

Fakiuos Paranormulis (verb)- The Claim that when your alone, your being watched, and if your walkig in a hall, something is following you that isn't real. (by creature man)

Flesh Bias (only exists on nearps.com) - Depriving all your physical senses of external stimuli to tap into the transcendental ego. Oh so, is 'that' why ghost hunters do it in the dark? (by JPTuk)

Fluffery - 'a gullibility trap' fake articles written by ultra-skeptics both academic and none-academic for people willing to believe or trust too readily, esp. without proper or adequate evidence, also used in catching out fake mediums who research the internet. (by JPTuk)

LudWick Haunting (Adj.)- When someone's Mind is Tricked into seeing Something Paranormal that isn't there, then proclaiming a Haunting. (by creature man)

Orbs (don't exist) - Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus poop (exists) (by JPTuk)

A Pareidoholic - (pareidolia exists) a disorder characterized by compulsive and uncontrolled persistence of seeing ghosts everywhere. (by JPTuk)

Peeper (Adj.)- Any Ghost, Poltergist, or DPS (Demonic Paranormal State) That Pops Up Unclearly For a Short moment occasionally (by creature man)

Poltergassed - The presence of a mysterious odor that nobody in the room seems to be able to explain. (by CaniswalensisGStudy)

Santa Clause - Figmet of your imagination. Much like UFO and The Loch Ness Monster (by PumpkinWraithGStudy)

Septic - An infectious non believer (by PumpkinWraithGStudy)

Scientimythicalists - a scientific paranormal group 'woo' believe in ghosts and spirits.(by JPTuk)

Spectoral - Vain apparition with impressive chest area (by PumpkinWraithGStudy)

The Thatsaloadable Effect - to define how some persons who are confronted with evidence that clashes with their belief system come to hold their original position even more strongly (by JPTuk)

Xenonormal - (a word that originated on the ASSAP website) something that appears to be of paranormal origin, eg. a sight, sound or a smell, but is most likely to be the cat taking a dump and you haven't realized or some other naturally occurring incident that no one can figure out. (by JPTuk)

Zooludicrous - When a pet owner says, 'The cat and dog saw the ghost too' ??? (by JPTuk)

sorry Silentwalker I didnt add the political ones they didnt fit in with the paranormal genre, but they were still great  :devil:

Edited by jptuk, 24 November 2010 - 02:44 PM.

Cert.Ppsy SCOP

#15 jptuk

jptuk

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:21 AM

Parakmondaehellphobia - a morbid and irrational fear of Monday.  :wallbash:
Cert.Ppsy SCOP

#16 PumpkinWraith

PumpkinWraith

1D's #1 Fan

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:54 AM

paranoiaparapolaroid:  The irrational fear of photographing the unknown.

Posted Image

#17 Guest_Silent Walker_*

Guest_Silent Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

Paranoiapara - the fear of jumping out of planes

Paranoiparanoi - the fear of being scared

#18 jptuk

jptuk

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:19 PM

View PostSilent Walker, on 25 November 2010 - 11:36 AM, said:

Paranoiapara - the fear of jumping out of planesParanoiparanoi - the fear of being scared

lmao.. :happy0194:
good ones.
Cert.Ppsy SCOP

#19 Creature man

Creature man

The Everchanging User

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Please, Do I need to answer that??

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

GhostStudyItis- The State Where you're ADDICTED to Ghost Study :D
I like the part where it went "WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP"

Skullcandy is awesome, I got new headphones(finally!!)!

#20 jptuk

jptuk

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:39 AM

View PostCreature man, on 26 November 2010 - 12:06 PM, said:

GhostStudyItis- The State Where you're ADDICTED to Ghost Study :D

Haha yeh, I have that  :th_angel:

another...

Paratrinket (word exists but item has no special powers only in the users mind) - An object or item that you can buy that is said to be haunted or has special supernatural powers. Eg. Crystals, wands, chakra jewellery, haunted dolls, ghost in a jar, emulats, aura goggles, magic water (great for cystitis), magic mushrooms (great for OBE's) poisonous mushrooms (great for NDE's)

:th_mask:

Edited by jptuk, 28 November 2010 - 04:45 AM.

Cert.Ppsy SCOP