• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

dragons, don't really know why I haven't made one sooner. but yeah, these babies are complicated. they have wings and horns and dorsal thingies... and this one has whiskers too:

Posted Image

Asian style Water Dragon

Posted Image

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

sent of a packet for CONvergence's Art show on Monday. (which included a smaller dragon)

Edited by trin, 20 June 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#2 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,184 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

Very cool Trin!   :good:

#3 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

Cute l'il thing. The front view reminds me more of a demon though. Maybe if it had stubbier arms and legs?

#4 jinxybabz

jinxybabz

Apport

• GS Member
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Cats, Playing games on the computer usually Sims 3, Facebook watching videos on Youtube.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:22 AM

Very Cute when I look at your crochet projects I always feel inspired.:heart:
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#5 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

The folks at the Scifi conventions are going to LOooove them. I'm totally tickled with how well they're working out. (even more than I usually am with a new design)

gearing up for a doll meet next month, and several conventions in August-September-October-November with them coming in groups of 2 or 3 in the same month!
It keeps me sane when I'm too ill to get out or do much.

#6 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

That is so cute.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#7 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

Awesome dragon!

And the Cthulhu rocks, and the Tiny Pink Winged Bunny Angel flitterbunny is freaking adorable!!

Dang I wish I had some dispoable income to toss your way!

ETA:  But I gotta admit, some of those doll models are creepy as sin....

Edited by Safire973, 26 July 2012 - 08:10 PM.

I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#8 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostSafire973, on 26 July 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

Awesome dragon!

And the Cthulhu rocks, and the Tiny Pink Winged Bunny Angel flitterbunny is freaking adorable!!

Dang I wish I had some dispoable income to toss your way!

ETA:  But I gotta admit, some of those doll models are creepy as sin....

Thank you everyone!

My sister can't look at the dolls... (and frankly I'm surprised that I fell in love with so many of them and can participate in the hobby...)
Sis and I think the "creepy factor" (though it's more the more realistic cute/beautiful ones rather than the intentionally cartoony/anime like or intentionally creepy ones)
is that it hits "Uncanny Valley" for a lot of people. (though for me, the dolls I'm collecting aren't too real so don't trigger that for me, but there are some that are MUCH more
realistic that if I see them on flickr or at a meet I focus on their clothing, or factors that highlight the unrealness for me.) There's a few that in photos I couldn't tell if it was
a person or a doll right away.

Edited by trin, 27 July 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#9 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

OMG... The Fairyland Littlefee "Elf El" doll, looks just like my niece Boston.

Edited by MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe, 29 July 2012 - 07:03 PM.

Posted Image

My Shop

#10 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi, Trin.

I'm going to ask the question but not before complimenting you on the great job you have done so far.    The most obvious thing missing from your beautiful dragon is the snout.   Have you been experimenting with anything?   It can't be easy or it would have been figured into the pattern or it's such finite work that it would drive one crazy.

I was also wondering about the meet you went to and was curious if anyone human posed as a doll.    That would have been artful and somewhat creepy.    One wouldn't be expecting it.

#11 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

BeanSidhe, Now i HAVE to have you post a photo of your niece!

Menet, My personal style is sort of more anthropomorphic, but Hmmm, yeah I can do snouts...   part of my face design though is designed so that the viewer is left filling in the emotive details out of their own imagination.  Which to me, is more interesting than having a smile or some other features clearly embroidered on.   At the same time, I'm finding that much of their character and emotive expression seems to come from their eyes. Which eyes I've chosen, how they've been placed etc.  

... and then there is the example of Toothless
Posted Image

Also, YES people do dress up like dolls sometimes, this meet even had a "look alike contest" between some of the doll peeps and their dolls. I'll try to find a photo of the winner...  I know I have a good shot of the human, but his doll was wandering about getting photographed for the "photo scavenger hunt" so I may not have gotten a good shot of him.

Posted Image
fellow with the pink hair was first place. (his girlfriend got him into the hobby)

Posted Image
the little guy with the orange hair in the upper left shelf  is the same make-model as Mr. Pink Hair's doll.
though he had his little guy in a similar bright pink wig and wearing black t and shorts.

Edited by trin, 30 July 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#12 fbjewels

fbjewels

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:My kids, Reading, the Paranormal, Useless Movie Trivia

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

My eleven year old just saw this and loves them - now he's asking me for one. :D  He's a bit of a dragon fanatic.

Edited by fbjewels, 30 July 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#13 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Aw dang trin, now I'm going to have nightmares about that doll picture

/headdesk
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#14 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostSafire973, on 30 July 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

Aw dang trin, now I'm going to have nightmares about that doll picture

/headdesk

sorry about that, none of them are very haunted... I promise...
(people put a lot of work into customizing their dolls, so like any other artwork. but they're all less than 20 yrs old, so there hasn't been generations of time
to build up vibes/chi from their owners... really...

Though I'll admit I ended up with Sakura BECAUSE of Souji, I hadn't planned on more than one doll of that size classification)

FBJewels: Dragons are perfectly legit objects of Obsession... yes they are! :D
(I do custom orders too, and in a wide range of sizes and materials... )

Edited by trin, 31 July 2012 - 07:35 AM.

#15 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

Toothless is right up my ally.    When it comes to dragons, I have no imagination and love to look at those that have been drawn or painted.    It's all artistic endeavor no matter what you do that you enjoy.

I'm reading your post where you mention vibes or chi.....and there is this woman that I met at an exhibit here in MI.   She's a doll maker.    I won't mention any names except to plug her business, A Touch of Silver.   She makes nature dolls.    Sprites, brownies, faries and other things.   Cloth.   She wasn't on line when I spoke to her last.    She has a doll for everyone.   And I'm not a doll collector but I couldn't walk away from those Sprites.   I bought two of them.    She puts something into them.   I'm convinced of it.   hehehe    She loves her work and you can tell.     I sometimes look at people and keep their business cards because there is something about them.....and it shows in their work.   Creativity.    Maybe it's magic.   lol    I thought she might be a witch.

Like I said.  I have no imagination when it comes to dolls.   hahaha     But I'm going to drop her a line and see if she has gotten her things out there yet.   I was actually wondering if you had come across her at your  meets.   And then you can tell me your take on her.  lol

#16 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostMenet, on 01 August 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Toothless is right up my ally.    When it comes to dragons, I have no imagination and love to look at those that have been drawn or painted.    It's all artistic endeavor no matter what you do that you enjoy.

I'm reading your post where you mention vibes or chi.....and there is this woman that I met at an exhibit here in MI.   She's a doll maker.    I won't mention any names except to plug her business, A Touch of Silver.   She makes nature dolls.    Sprites, brownies, faries and other things.   Cloth.   She wasn't on line when I spoke to her last.    She has a doll for everyone.   And I'm not a doll collector but I couldn't walk away from those Sprites.   I bought two of them.    She puts something into them.   I'm convinced of it.   hehehe    She loves her work and you can tell.     I sometimes look at people and keep their business cards because there is something about them.....and it shows in their work.   Creativity.    Maybe it's magic.   lol    I thought she might be a witch.

Like I said.  I have no imagination when it comes to dolls.   hahaha     But I'm going to drop her a line and see if she has gotten her things out there yet.   I was actually wondering if you had come across her at your  meets.   And then you can tell me your take on her.  lol

She sounds Very Cool... there's really something special about the art dolls, the ball jointed dolls even though they are cast resin are hand painted, often by the owners (you can order them blank) and the owners do a lot of customization.  They DO seem to take on some level of "personality" from their owners and creators.

There's also something magical about making the plushies, sometimes I sit down pick up the yarn and when I'm done I'm a little bit surprised with what has resulted.
Especially if I just sit down to "doodle" and end up with a new design.  I'm sometimes a little mystified and inspired by how people have responded to some of them... when the right person sees the right plushie or the right doll something sweet and magical and joyous happens.

Edited by trin, 01 August 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#17 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

View Posttrin, on 30 July 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

BeanSidhe, Now i HAVE to have you post a photo of your niece!

Here is one of her.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Shop

#18 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

Oh she's a cutie, and that color is perfect for her.

#19 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

Not technically dragons, but dragonish:

netbook bag/purse made for my DD, took 14+ hrs, and $50 in materials.

Posted Image

It's being called "Bunny's Blue Dragon bag" and she Loooves it.
(I may write out the pattern, because it's such an expensive project for high quality yarns, and expensive in time...
but even if someone isn't going to pay for one to be made, they might want a pattern to make their own. )

Here's the Prototype, for MY Netbook, I'm calling this one "Feathered Serpent Bag" because it's so colorful.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users