• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:09 PM

We went to see my wife's grandma yesterday and we noticed that she was in bed with her legs hanging off, completely to the side.  We tried to wake her up and she did not recognize us for a good 30 seconds, but once she did, her speech was slurred and she was not making sense.  We both figured she had a stroke and called 911, and when the paramedics got there, they figured on the same thing.  They took her to the hospital and the doctor said she originally had a blood clot and that turned into a stroke because of the strain of the blockage.  They were able to get the blood clot out with a catheter and she is now in stable condition, except her blood pressure goes down every now and then.

My wife's grandma is 86 and in decent shape, even though she broke her hip five years ago.  That being said, this stroke will require her to have physical therapy since she has no movement now in her left arm and leg.  My wife saw her today and was able to talk to her but they had her hooked up to tubes, so she could not talk back.  She did know that she was in the room though.

I'm asking for prayers not only for her grandma, but my wife as well.  Nobody in my wife's family, except for maybe her aunt, is willing to help with anything that has anything to do with her grandma.  None of the grand kids are in town, and if they are, they do not even want to visit her in the hospital.  Case in point:  One of the cousins took his kids to the zoo today, and he knew his grandma was in the hospital.  As far as I know, he has not stopped in to see her, nor does he have plans to.  My wife needs help cleaning her grandma's house, doing laundry, but cannot get a hold of any of her cousins.  Not even her aunt feels like helping her.  Please send good vibes/prayers toward us, because my wife loves her grandma with all her heart and is getting no help from her dad's family.
Posted Image

#2 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

Man, I hate to hear that - please know that all 3 of you will stay in my heart, thoughts and prayers.  Keep us posted and remember - we love you guys.
M

#3 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:59 PM

Yes, you are all in my prayers too.

Do you have social workers or the equivalent in your hospitals? I know they are the first point of contact in our hospitals when people are in need of direction or assistance.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#4 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:03 AM

Prayers sent!
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#5 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:56 AM

Thanks guys :)

They have her blood pressure stabilized and I think my wife's aunt finally broke down and started helping her.  Not sure what her problem was, but she has all the time in the world to do something to help.  She's 65 and retired, so there is no reason for her recent actions.  I'll update as soon as I hear more.  Thanks again, all.
Posted Image

#6 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:08 PM

Prayers sent for all of you. Hugs. :hug:

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#7 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:11 AM

Thanks MacC :)

So, they they told us yesterday that because of her age, she's probably not going to bounce back from this and will need around the clock care.  My wife's aunt and uncle are in denial and think that they will keep her in the hospital forever, and there is a 48 hour window where they have to make a decision on where to take her.  I don't think they understand that they may have to take care of their mother.
Posted Image

#8 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:38 AM

Yes, we don't care for our elderly very well. It is the same thing here, we have a lot of public hospitals with elderly patients wait for retirement home placements. I think you are right about the aunt and uncle
Posted Image

#9 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 16 August 2018 - 12:38 AM, said:

Yes, we don't care for our elderly very well. It is the same thing here, we have a lot of public hospitals with elderly patients wait for retirement home placements. I think you are right about the aunt and uncle

It's so sad.  I feel like the elderly are being neglected more and more today.  I try to see my grandma every Sunday because she was always there for me when I was little.  My wife feels the same way about her grandma and the rest of her family just forget that she even exists.

Updates...

Her blood pressure is stabilized, but she is still unable to swallow.  They had to put a feeding tube in her, but she is conscious.
Posted Image

#10 lorac61469

lorac61469

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:44 PM

Sorry to hear.  She may need to go into a rehab hospital before she can go home.

My father-in-law has dementia and has lived with us for 13 years, his sister and daughter see him once or twice a year (one lives 10 minutes away and the other 30 minutes). His grandson has seen him ONCE in the 13 years. Can you believe that?

#11 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:12 AM

View PostNightWalkerGStudy, on 16 August 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

It's so sad.  I feel like the elderly are being neglected more and more today.  I try to see my grandma every Sunday because she was always there for me when I was little.  My wife feels the same way about her grandma and the rest of her family just forget that she even exists.

Updates...

Her blood pressure is stabilized, but she is still unable to swallow.  They had to put a feeding tube in her, but she is conscious.

Both your grandmothers are very lucky to have you both for grandchildren. Yes, it is very sad especially with some of the unprofessional behaviour of some in the health industry that has been shown in the media recently!
Posted Image

#12 Snickers

Snickers

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:38 AM

I've been there and done that. When my husband had alzheimer's, before he died, I got no help from his family at all. Prayers for you and your wife and her grandmother.
Don't tell me that I didn't see what I saw, or didn't hear what I heard.......Snickers

#13 dash

dash

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:36 AM

Feel for you and your family and sending prayers

#14 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:01 PM

I'm so sorry you all are going through this. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Unfortunately, I never got to meet my grandparents on my father's side and never met my mother's father. They all died before I was born. Also, my mother's mom died only a month after I was born. She just got to see me once before she died. Everyone says that I remind them of her.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#15 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:40 AM

Thank you, everyone.

Update..

I went with my wife to see her on Saturday.  She was breathing normally, but she needed the breathing tube to be able to do so.  She was awake and was able to nod yes and no to questions.  She always said how she loves my wife's voice, and you could tell that she was thinking this while we were there.  My wife was reading a bible verse to her and it made her Grandma fall asleep.  After she stopped reading, about five minutes went by, she woke up and pointed to the bible.  I guess she wanted her to read again, but we had to leave :)

This hospital has a very good spiritual environment.  You can feel it when you walk in, and it's also a very Christian hospital.  I'm not trying to get all religious here, but we can both tell that her Grandma feels very at home here, even though she was always afraid of being very far away from her house.  The nurses have been so kind to all of us, and they say that she has been a very good patient.
Posted Image

#16 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:24 PM

View PostNightWalkerGStudy, on 28 August 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

Thank you, everyone.

Update..

I went with my wife to see her on Saturday.  She was breathing normally, but she needed the breathing tube to be able to do so.  She was awake and was able to nod yes and no to questions.  She always said how she loves my wife's voice, and you could tell that she was thinking this while we were there.  My wife was reading a bible verse to her and it made her Grandma fall asleep.  After she stopped reading, about five minutes went by, she woke up and pointed to the bible.  I guess she wanted her to read again, but we had to leave :)

This hospital has a very good spiritual environment.  You can feel it when you walk in, and it's also a very Christian hospital.  I'm not trying to get all religious here, but we can both tell that her Grandma feels very at home here, even though she was always afraid of being very far away from her house.  The nurses have been so kind to all of us, and they say that she has been a very good patient.

No, Not at all on the spiritual front! You are speaking about what makes your Grandma comfortable in a time that I would think would be very stressful for your family. I am glad your wife continues to make fond memories of her Grandma, they will be the things that she will need to hold close to her heart!
Posted Image

#17 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:04 AM

Sending you prayers and love - take care
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#18 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:03 AM

Update...

Looks like she might have to go on Hospice, but we're not entirely sure yet.  The quality of life in a nursing home in her condition would be poor...  So now we're not sure what's going to happen.
Posted Image

#19 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:05 PM

Just know  we are thinking of you all :heart:
Posted Image

#20 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:47 PM

Please know I  still hold you and your family close to my heart & continuously in my prayers.  Keep us updated as you can.

M