• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 curious skeptic

curious skeptic

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

I don't know what year this was, I am almost 30 but my dad traveled on business a lot when I was young. So anyway sometime in the 80s my dad was staying in a holiday inn (somewhere in SC, I want to say Florence). Well anyway he awoke to a woman standing at the edge of his bed. Initially he thought it was his mother who had recently died. He rubbed his eyes thinking he was dreaming and the woman was still there. He then was very nervous and knocked over the lamp and on table next to the bed, once the lamp was on the woman was gone.

If this was the end of the story I would be convinced my dad was hallucinating. However the next day my dad begins asking questions about the hotel and it's past. Immediately the staff knew the exact room he was staying in. Most of the staff however were very hush hush about the situation. Haunted hotels aren't good for business I suppose! The staff directed him to a worker in the dining room who had apparently worked their for years. Apparently this room had calls from it all the time when no one was in the room. Sightings and strange happenings were the norm in this room. Just numerous stories of paranormal activity primarily in the room slept in.

He also investigated around the premises the next day and right beside the hotel was an old plantation style burial ground. Some of the burials were uncovered.

Anyway I don't know what my dad saw that night. But my dad is not a liar, does not make up stories, and I would consider him a skeptical person.

I don't know what to believe, but I know my dad thinks he saw something! He never had a sighting like this before or since!

#2 Moonsong

Moonsong

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:magick, Wicca, paganism, ghosts, psychic phenomena, enegy work, vampires, BEKs, psychology... you name it really...

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:38 AM

It's possible this was an episode of "sleep paralysis," and the hotel people were having a bit of fun with him. But I kind of doubt it. First of all, if he rubbed his eyes then he probably wasn't paralysed, and the apparition remained after that. Second, it seems odd that the hotel staff would say anything at all if the room hadn't had some kind of history of activity. So, assuming the 20+ year old memory isn't faulty, I'd expect this to be a genuine encounter.

It'd be nice if you knew for sure the name and location of the hotel, though, so anyone inclined could research its history.
Yes. Yes, I do mock you. But only with the best of intentions.

#3 curious skeptic

curious skeptic

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(Moonsong @ Jan 15 2008, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's possible this was an episode of "sleep paralysis," and the hotel people were having a bit of fun with him. But I kind of doubt it. First of all, if he rubbed his eyes then he probably wasn't paralysed, and the apparition remained after that. Second, it seems odd that the hotel staff would say anything at all if the room hadn't had some kind of history of activity. So, assuming the 20+ year old memory isn't faulty, I'd expect this to be a genuine encounter.

It'd be nice if you knew for sure the name and location of the hotel, though, so anyone inclined could research its history.

To be fair my dad told this story immediately when he got home. He has stuck by the story ever since, so the memory never got old. I'll ask him the details tonight, try to get a room# and which holiday inn it was. He did stay at that holiday inn again, but not that room. He knocked on the old room and told the guy who was staying there what he saw lol.

#4 curious skeptic

curious skeptic

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(curious skeptic @ Jan 15 2008, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be fair my dad told this story immediately when he got home. He has stuck by the story ever since, so the memory never got old. I'll ask him the details tonight, try to get a room# and which holiday inn it was. He did stay at that holiday inn again, but not that room. He knocked on the old room and told the guy who was staying there what he saw lol.

Alright so I asked my dad tonight about the details. He said the woman he saw was a bit greenish and cloudy. He still isn't positive today as to what he saw. I will say he has never had a sighting since or before. This was around 1986 when this happened, so I'm not even sure this place is still there.

Apparently this Holiday Inn was in Greenville, SC off I-85. My dad said there were 3 Holiday Inn's in the Greenville area at the time. But this was the older one. Apparently there were articles in the local paper down there prior to my dad's sighting on this hotel and there being sightings. I sparked my dad's interest in this subject again and he is thinking about calling the local paper and getting copies of those articles.

He even said when he went back he went to a restaurant in the area and they knew about the hotel and it's history. When my dad went back to greenville the next year, he tried to stay at the other two holiday inn's, but they were both booked. So he was stuck with this one, but not the same room.

Anyway he told me the figure he saw wasn't clear, but had a womanly shape, and appeared to be wearing a gown.

If we can get the article it should be interesting, I'll be interested to see if it states the same room as the one my dad stayed in. He thinks it was 138 or something like that, it was definitely on the first floor!

#5 Moonsong

Moonsong

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:magick, Wicca, paganism, ghosts, psychic phenomena, enegy work, vampires, BEKs, psychology... you name it really...

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:39 PM

That would be very interesting, if you can get the article. Please post it if you get it.

I wasn't able to drum up anything on Google about haunted Holiday Inns in Greenville SC, though apparently there is a haunted inn at Merridun in SC. Maybe someone who knows how to properly research a hotel's history will take interest and help us out...
Yes. Yes, I do mock you. But only with the best of intentions.