Dogs Or Cats Sensing Ghosts?

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 sicboy13

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Vampires, Drums, Music, My wife, Ghosts, UFO's, Conspiracies, any unexplainable

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:51 PM

If this is an old topic, forgive me, for I am noob.

I notice that my dog occasionally stares at a corner of the room very intently, and sometimes barks at nothing at all.  I have passed it off that my dog is just a retard, but sometimes, especially when Im alone, late at night, it freaks me out.  My dog also growls at nothing sometimes. Anyone else have experience with this?

I just think that if anyone could actually sense a ghost, a dog or cat could.  They dont have the same preconceived notions that we humans unfortunatlely do.  No one has told them that ghosts dont exist(allegedly) and therefore their powers of perception must be stronger than ours.

I would love to hear your experience with this, and if this is an old thread, please send me that a way!
My Signature

"WARNING: Persons denying the existence of Robots may be Robots themselves."  
Old Glory Insurance. For when the metal ones decide to come for you - and they will.

#2 NUPS_Jennifer

Apport

• GS Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

Not to say if your dog does or does not see something you can't, but I do believe animals can see spirits.  I just finished reading a book called "The Ghosts on 87th Ln" and the author talks about how she felt her dog could see the spirits that were in her home.
My Signature

#3 GreenManThing

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

Once, my cat and dog where looking in to the bedroom, and they where growling and hissing (the dog was not hissing ;-)), I looked in to the room and didn't see anything, so I told them to shutup. When I looked up again, I saw a shadow go by the corner of the room that they where looking at, and then it dissapeared. I think that a dog would make a good addition to any ghost hunters kit (cats are too darn hard to train).
My Signature
Wizards first rule: "People are stupid: They believe what they want to be true, or what they fear is true." -- Terry Goodkind.

#4 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

Sometimes our animals are just nutso.  The other day my younger son (who's 3), stretched and made that moaning noise that one will with a REALLY good stretch (you know what I'm talking about) and both cats came sprinting in the room all poofed out wondering who was being tortured.  It didn't even sound remotely like a cat.

If there's other stuff going on I'd start documenting... but if it's just your dog growling at the corner... next time he does it, tell the corner "hey, stop freaking out my dog".  If the behavior stops (or stuff starts happening) it was an entity.  If nothing changes, it's your dog being an idiot.

I DO NOT think it would be a good idea to take an animal on an investigation -- for the simple sake of animal cruelty.  My dog WILL NOT let me go into my mother-in-law's basement by myself (where her ghost tends to hang and where he wants privacy) because I am his alpha (my husband's the alpha male but I'm the leader of the pack as well as "mom" according to my dog) and he needs to protect me from any perceived danger.  It also scares the living daylights out of him to go down there and he will cry the entire time and try to melt himself into my shoulder.  He will stand at the top of the stairs and cry if anyone else goes down there but he'll FOLLOW me down and stick to me like glue if I go down.  It's cruel to bring an animal into that sort of situation where they're torn between protecting their leader and pooping themselves in fear.
My Signature
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#5 Fey

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

My dog has been known to follow nothing around the apartment whining, and I usually pass it off as her being, as stated, a retard. But a few times it's not easy to brush off. One night when my boyfriend went out, I was laying on the couch with the dog laying across my stomach asleep when she suddenly woke up and stared out into the hallway really intently. I said her name a few times because I wanted her to stop and even asked if she wanted a treat to get her attention but she wouldn't pay any attention to me. Then she started to turn her head like she was watching someone walk around the living room and back out into the hallway. I finally got too freaked out and forced her off the couch, which seemed to snap her out of it. It still creeps me out  ermm.gif

#6 beefcloud

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:26 AM

I have experienced similar behavior from my dog. I definitely know that she has some issues. But I do not believe that this is the reason that cause her to occasionally scratch at the living room and dinning room walls. She doesn’t seem to be fearful while she does this either. She whimpers and wags her tail as she stares at the ceiling as if she were being entertained or teased. I believe that it may be possible for her to be able to see or hear something that we can’t...but who knows. Too bad they can’t talk.

Edited by beefcloud, 19 December 2007 - 03:46 AM.

#7 sicboy13

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Vampires, Drums, Music, My wife, Ghosts, UFO's, Conspiracies, any unexplainable

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE(beefcloud @ Dec 19 2007, 05:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have experienced similar behavior from my dog. I definitely know that she has some issues. But I do not believe that this is the reason that cause her to occasionally scratch at the living room and dinning room walls. She doesnít seem to be fearful while she does this either. She whimpers and wags her tail as she stares at the ceiling as if she were being entertained or teased. I believe that it may be possible for her to be able to see or hear something that we canít...but who knows. Too bad they canít talk.

I believe that we are conditioned from birth on what is acceptable and what is not, meaning we are told from a young age that ghosts are'nt real, so for most people, their mind wont allow them to see a ghost, even if its right in front of them.  Now dogs and cats, as well as other animals on the other hand, they have never been conditioned to not see these things, so naturally, they recognize a spirit, or a "ghost" by interacting with it, barking at it, scratching, whining, etc.

Just a theory, and i be edjamekated.
My Signature

"WARNING: Persons denying the existence of Robots may be Robots themselves."  
Old Glory Insurance. For when the metal ones decide to come for you - and they will.

#8 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:53 AM

I do agree though, that dogs and cats just do weird stuff because it is a part of their nature. But I also think that they likely can see/sense spirits.  So, has Tabby gotten into the catnip again, or has he seen a ghost?
My Signature
Posted Image

#9 Betsy

Apport

• GS Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:36 AM

I also believe that animals can see/sense things because of their purity and innocence, like a child.

My husband has told me about when his dad died a couple years ago (we weren't together then). Apparently there was a joke about someone else who had passed and made a chair rock. So he made his dad promise that he wouldn't do that. He didn't promise anything else and from what I understand he was quite a prankster. My husband had left where his dad was. I can't remember but I believe it was hospice, and he knew that he wouldn't be around much longer. He was already unconscience. He got home and sat down to watch TV and his dog was with him. The dog got up and walked down the hall and looked in the room where his dad used to sleep and hang out. The dog turned his turned on one side like dogs do when they're trying to understand something. He just stood at the doorway and looked in the room for a while. My husband said he said out loud that he was not going out to look because his dad was probably out there and would play a joke on him. After a couple minutes, the dog came and sat back down. I don't doubt that he saw him. I guess he was stopping by to say good bye because within minutes, hospice called to tell him that his dad had just passed.

On other occasions, I have seen our dog get up suddenly and stare down the hallway. Sometimes he looks excited and sometimes he has his tail down. I'm sure he can tell the difference between the good spirits and the bad ones.

Edited by Betsy, 20 December 2007 - 04:38 AM.

My Signature

#10 Therightone86

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:I am currently attempting to achieve my Bachelor's Degree, majoring in communications (Ha...and I don't mean spiritual). Although its only for my personal recreation, writing is a favorite hobby of mine. I tend to be an avid movie-goer and find a replenishment, of sorts, in film. Beyond that...traveling, hiking, mountain climbing, swimming, and boating. I also enjoy taking care of my fish! The supernatural/paranormal is a regular part of my life, ha, but I do enjoy learning more about it as well.

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:22 AM

I definitely believe that animals can sense things.  When I was younger, I had a White German Shepard, and I know he could see things that we couldn't.  He stared at the ceiling, different areas of the rooms, down the hallway...but it wasn't a constant thing.  It came in waves, as if he was focusing on SOMETHING.  I mean, when a dog hears a noise, even a faint one, it will perk up its ears and listen and look around...When a dog sees something, it generally sits still, focusing intently.  There just seems to be a difference in behavior.  I think that makes sense, yes?

I just remember one time I was sitting in the living room with my mother, cousin and our dog.  We were all on the couch watching television.  The T.V. was angled on the corner of the wall, and behind it my mother had put chimes up.  The dog was just sitting there, staring at the corner of the wall, watching the chimes.  He was really focused, moving his head from side to side, just really checking out that corner.  All of the sudden, he went from a sitting position to a stance.  He let out a growl, and I kid you not, He JUMPED in the air after whatever he was looking at, completing almost a full BACK FLIP!  He then raced down the hall, and into my parents' bedroom.  Shortly after, he walked back down the hall towards us, and as he did, the chimes started clanging together!  Ha!  It was unreal!

I have never experienced anything quite like that again.  I just remember we were all in a state of complete awe.  I  remember we all just looked at each other, didn't say anything, and then my cousin and I just went back to watching T.V. and my mother continued reading the newspaper.  Ha!  It was just a weird experience.

So, yes...That situation led me to believe that animals can sense, or maybe even see, what we cannot. smile.gif

-Nick-

#11 EmeraldFaerie

Daemon

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Reading, painting, gardening, movies, music, chatting, computer, baking, floral arrangment, spending time with my family.

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(sicboy13 @ Dec 19 2007, 06:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe that we are conditioned from birth on what is acceptable and what is not, meaning we are told from a young age that ghosts are'nt real, so for most people, their mind wont allow them to see a ghost, even if its right in front of them.  Now dogs and cats, as well as other animals on the other hand, they have never been conditioned to not see these things, so naturally, they recognize a spirit, or a "ghost" by interacting with it, barking at it, scratching, whining, etc.

Just a theory, and i be edjamekated.

I think you're totally right here. I definitely agree that animals can sense spirits when we can't. Of course sometimes animals just act nuts, but if they are consistently staring at the same corner, or watching the same spot or something like that, I would have to wonder. Animals are MUCH more intelligent than humans often realize.
My Signature

#12 HocusPocus

ghost@ghost.com

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, real life mysteries.

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

I think my cat does.  I think we may have a drop by haunting.  It doesn't seem like it is here all the time.  My cat love the office because it has a bed infront of the window and she loves to lay on it.  But every now and again she will just stare in the room as if someone is standing in her way.  At other time there will be a noise upstairs and she will run to the stairs and watch whatever is there.

Edited by HocusPocus, 22 December 2007 - 09:03 PM.

#13 Porcelain

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal interests include: Legends, poltergeists, spirits, spirit photography, urban myth, creatures, evps, horror/thriller movies.

Other interests: Poetry, writing, painting, drawing, music, sleeping, alcohol, gaming, shopping, clubbing.

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:40 AM

I undoubtedly believe that animals can sense things humans can't.

Once, in the house I grew up in (which was haunted by the ghost of the woman who lived there previously to us), I was alone in the house, and just happened to glance at the stairs from my room, where I saw a pale, white foot disappear around the corner. My dog was at the foot of the stairs, and was staring intently up them. I called his name, and he did not move. Didn't turn his head. Called it again, loudly, and he ignored me. Now, he is a border collie, very obidient and loving family dog, but something had his attention very firmly focused.

Needless to say I got the shivers and stayed in my room.

--edited because my grammar seems to be shocking this afternoon.--

Edited by Porcelain, 03 January 2008 - 04:41 AM.

#14 redrust

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

hello,sciboy,i'm redrust.as i think that dogs and cats have more developed sensing power to sense these supernatural creatures.Not dogs and cats only, all the animals do have the power to sense them. investigate.gif

#15 Nelson

Orb

• GS Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

there has been signifficant evidence of an animal sixth sense, my dog can tell the difference between our car and the other cars of the street, she doesnt hop up if its a neighbour only when our car is home i have nown her once to run to the gate two minutes before my parents arrived home.

My friend also has a dog who barks at the area around the door to the shower/bathroom it has never been nown to go in there and also when they placed his parrot agaisnt the wall, next to the door. it constantly flew itself into the cage walls, again and again. it only stopped when alex opened the latch and retrieved it, it had blood all over it. thats how vicous it was beating itself

#16 nannycheech1958

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:I have a lot of interests....too numerous to name....

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(sicboy13 @ Dec 15 2007, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this is an old topic, forgive me, for I am noob.

I notice that my dog occasionally stares at a corner of the room very intently, and sometimes barks at nothing at all.  I have passed it off that my dog is just a retard, but sometimes, especially when Im alone, late at night, it freaks me out.  My dog also growls at nothing sometimes. Anyone else have experience with this?

I just think that if anyone could actually sense a ghost, a dog or cat could.  They dont have the same preconceived notions that we humans unfortunatlely do.  No one has told them that ghosts dont exist(allegedly) and therefore their powers of perception must be stronger than ours.

I would love to hear your experience with this, and if this is an old thread, please send me that a way!

My dogs sit and stare into open air and move their heads as if they are watching a conversation between several people who are eating and they're waiting for a crumb to drop. They go nuts from time to time and run from window to window, barking and growling.....but when I let them outside, they wont go off the steps, and they are always quick to come back inside.

Edited by nannycheech1958, 15 January 2008 - 07:43 PM.

#17 Laurnabeth

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

I live right next to a cemetery so I have always used that theory. I see how my cat and dog respond to noises in the house. I'm pretty sure that the house is not haunted at all. The cemetery is actually quite peaceful but I still get weirded out when my cat stares out the window facing the cemetery.
My Signature
Posted Image

#18 equus6

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:14 PM

My brother lived in an apartment in Savannah, GA that was haunted.  If you know anything about Savannah, the streets are lined with refurbished mansions that have been converted into duplexes.  They are so beautiful.  Anyhow, his dog would bark like crazy in one corner of the livingroom.  I stayed with my brother for a long weekend, and told him his house was definitely haunted.  I was in the kitchen, and had an absolute heaviness on my back.  I turned to see who was standing behind me, and no one was there.  My brother's dog started to bark and growl at the corner.  It was very strange.  I think animals see and sense alot that we humans cannot see.
My Signature
Don't worry about the people in your past. There is a reason they didn't make it to your future....

#19 Blackviolett

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

Hi,

I havent posted here for ages now (bad of me I know!) but your topic caught my eye during a quick pop in.

I firmly believe that animals can sense what we maybe cannot. Our dog Tess used to 'watch' something come down the stairs regularly in our cottage and would growl at it and her neck hair would stand up. Dad used to smell perfume a lot too in the same house and we've had lights come on whilst we've been asleep and theyve been on when we got up in the morning!

I think they have a sixth sense that is super fine and picks up the slightest non human presence.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com