28 replies to this topic

#1 Morning_Glory_

Morning_Glory_

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:58 AM

As many of you know my son's grandmother passed away Dec 15th.

She was a decent person with a good heart but she had some very poor hygene habits.  She heated with kerosene, smoked and had 18 cats.  Her home and her body always had a funk about them so I pretty much avoided going to visit her as much as possible as that funk always made me gag.

Last night I woke up and saw that the clock said 12:22 and that funky smell was very strong coming from beside my bed.  I have no doubt that Brenda was there, maybe trying to make contact and thats all she could manage was to give me that memory of her smell.   I was gagging and after five minutes told her that I knew she was there and she's welcome to visit, but would she mind finding a more pleasent scent to let herself be known to me?

After I said that the scent faded and I was able to go back to sleep.

My question is - if the ghost/spirit wants to make itself known to you and you always associated that person with bad odors - can they change their scent to something much more favorable and would you realize it was that same person if they changed the scent?

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,986 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:27 AM

I wonder if they have control over that? It may be that their "smell" in life is the same in death by default
Posted Image

#3 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:15 AM

I think it'd be preferable to have that same smell associated with her presence, that way you'd know when it's her visiting and when it's someone else. I mean if all spirits smelled like roses, we'd not be able to tell them apart unless we were psychic. Surely the stench isn't as overpowering as it was in life?

#4 Morning_Glory_

Morning_Glory_

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:36 AM

being a non-smoker, non pet owner - even a mild scent of these can be strong.  Esp when its waking me up.  She hasn't been gone that long, I'm hoping its a matter of her trying to get the hang of how to visit us so that we know its her.

#5 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:16 AM

I too have often woundered if they could control that aspect of their being

#6 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE(Morning_Glory_ @ Dec 26 2007, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
being a non-smoker, non pet owner - even a mild scent of these can be strong.  Esp when its waking me up.  She hasn't been gone that long, I'm hoping its a matter of her trying to get the hang of how to visit us so that we know its her.

I'd think it more likely that they can control the intensity of the odour rather than what it is specifically. In this case, yes I'd agree she's more than likely trying to get the hang of how to let you know it's her. Just be patient. Maybe even let her know how you feel about the odour? I don't think you can offend her now...

#7 Morning_Glory_

Morning_Glory_

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:37 AM

I did, I told her I knew that she was there and it was okay, but if she could, could she give me something different - like bubble bath or honeysuckle? (her favorite flower).  I'll let you know if that changes.

When my mom first passed I got the scent of laundry detergent quite a bit -Tide.  It was her favorite laundry soap, she'd used it for years.  I'd smell Tide all over the place, I could be soaking in a bubble bath and the smell of Tide would come drifting in thru the window.  Mom's been gone several years now and I don't get scents with her as much these days, I can usually pick up that she's around without it.

#8 Aslan

Aslan

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE(Morning_Glory_ @ Dec 26 2007, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did, I told her I knew that she was there and it was okay, but if she could, could she give me something different - like bubble bath or honeysuckle? (her favorite flower).  I'll let you know if that changes.

When my mom first passed I got the scent of laundry detergent quite a bit -Tide.  It was her favorite laundry soap, she'd used it for years.  I'd smell Tide all over the place, I could be soaking in a bubble bath and the smell of Tide would come drifting in thru the window.  Mom's been gone several years now and I don't get scents with her as much these days, I can usually pick up that she's around without it.

what a touching image

some angels are smelly i guess (edit: urk!! i meant your aunt - NOT your mom)

investigate.gif

try burning a honeysuckle scented candle before you sleep - and leave a picture book of cats open near it - she might be drawn to the book and begin absorbing the scent

idk

Edited by Aslan, 26 December 2007 - 09:48 AM.

Posted Image

a new chapter begins

#9 bigmamasandi

bigmamasandi

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:I own two carpet stores. I have a great best friend, he is also my husband. I love to help people whenever I can. I think all Libras are this way. I moved from Houston to Bossier City about 15 years ago. I really love it here.

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:06 AM

My Daddy smoked a pipe. I have had that scent in my home. No one I know smokes a pipe. It is Daddy.

Sandi

#10 Gina Bear

Gina Bear

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:26 PM

Right after my brother died (like the first 24-48 hours), we could smell his cologne wafting throughout my grandmother's house (where he was living at the time he passed away). He wore Nautica cologne and it was a very distinct smell. His father and step-mother also claimed to smell his cologne at their house as well in the days after his death.
"If the people we love are taken from us, the way they live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever." - The Crow
http://www.myspace.com/gina1151987

#11 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:21 PM

You know, my father smoked Old Gold cigarettes (anyone who knows anything about cigarettes knows that Old Golds have a very distinct odor about them that could ONLY be Old Golds).  Every so often he'll "spark up" around the house... though he's been doing it less and less often because it inevitably causes an argument between hubby and me that goes something like:

Him:  "Why the heck were you smoking in the office?  You know it stinks up the house!"
Me:  "The last time I had a cigarette in the house was about a year ago and that was in the bathroom!"
Him:  "Look!  There are even ashes in the keyboard!" (or on the desk or wherever Dad chose to flick them).
Me:  "I'm not dumb enough to smoke and flick ashes in the keyboard!!!  Are you crazy?  It must have been Dad again!"
Him:  "Just make sure it doesn't happen again" *giant fake hacking cough* "You know it makes me sick!"

Once when he was "haunting" me he farted in my face when I was in the hot tub.  That was not quite as pleasant an odor as the Old Golds (I kinda like the smell and will buy a pack every so often even though they're TERRIBLE just so I can smell Dad)... but it was a DIFFERENT odor...

I'll also smell coffee in the car every so often when I'm going out of town.  When I was a kid my father always had a thermos of hot coffee with him when we traveled... and I like to think it's him pouring himself a cup while he copilots.

I think she probably made that smell because it couldn't have been anyone BUT her... and it means she's out of orientation so she'll be around now... I kind of think she won't be using it anymore since it is gagworthy (I think it's my overactive imagination but I can almost smell it and am a little queasy now).  Have you given kiddo that ginormous hug I told him to ask you for yet?

Edited by Tantric Kitten, 27 December 2007 - 11:24 PM.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#12 Morning_Glory_

Morning_Glory_

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:46 AM

thanks TK, hopefully your right. I haven't smelled that ordor since that night. Of course Chris is home now and it seems like when I get visits he's either in a very deep sleep or not at home.  (I don't even know why that is, but its like whatever attracts visitors to me they don't come around or I don't notice them when he's home).

I did give him a big hug and he's doing better.  Ex has been talking to him quite a bit too which I think is helping both of them.

#13 Morning_Glory_

Morning_Glory_

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

Son told me today that the other night he was smelling cat urine - we don't have any pets.  He said it woke him up, so I think she's letting us know she's around us.

#14 BFG

BFG

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:34 PM

When my husbands Granny was alive and we'd go to her home for a weekend visit (she lived in another state)she would fix us breakfast in the mornings big ole breakfasts, biscuits gravy, bacon sausage etc. My  oldest daughter (now grown ) says every so often when she wakes in morning at her own  home she can smell Granny cooking breakfast. very strange but we feel like its probably Granny. smile.gif

#15 Noid

Noid

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:Photography, painting, research, genetics, artificial intellegence programming

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

It would seem impossible that a ghost would carry an odour, but I've experienced it a couple of times myself.  I can't figure out how energy can hold aroma.  I just know that from what I've experienced, it does.

#16 Kate_78

Kate_78

Feeler of the Shoes

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Anything with Orlando Bloom, Leonardo DiCaprio, or Dean Cain hehe.
    Music, anything....Country, soft rock, rock,
    Kids, I have 2 of them now ;)
    Reading, I love to read but, don't b/c if I do I'll loose what little sleep I don't get.
    Writing, I
    Kate.

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:59 PM

Hey MG,
I was sitting here reading this and was wondering if you could ask her to present you with a more pleasurable smell.  
But, it looks like you've already done that.  Why don't you tell her the other smells make you sick and could she please find another one that you might recognize?  Maybe let her pick the smell if they can do that.

When I think my Nana comes for a visit I smell cooking fragrances.  Like someone's been in my kitchen cooking blueberry pancakes or something.  I have smelled the fresh scent of blue berry.

It's good to hear that she's coming back to visit you though maybe you can think of more of a pleasurable way for her to hang around though.
Did she like to cook? Or anything?  Maybe you could ask her to show herself in her favorite cooking scent.
Take Care,
Kate.

Posted Image

#17 indigocrow

indigocrow

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

If you can recognize her vibration you wont need the scent but that smell is what you associate with her. I sometimes smell my great grandmother by the smell of the perfume I wore to her funeral or the smell of the flowers from her funeral. But usually its her vibration only and I just know its her and not one of my other family members. Maybe if you suggest a scent that you will hold just for her?

#18 Sweet_88

Sweet_88

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Family, music, paranormal, photography, canoeing, reading, art (all forms), but of all these, music is my passion.

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

I've read before about different experiences people have had in the presence of spirits.  Some people 'feel' them.  Some may hear them, and some may see them or be shown something that draws them to a specific memory for that person when they were alive.  Others, I've learned, smell them.  It's apparently not too uncommon.

When I was little, I used to stay the night with my Gma sometimes.  She would try to teach me that it's important for a young lady to keep her skin clean and healthy, and proceed with the lotion and 'smelly stuff'!  I even remember her saying that I should "learn to do this now, and you will just do it automatically as you get older so your skin will always look beautiful"... Of course, since I was a tomboy when I was young, it just irritated me! laugh.gif

There are random times that I smell that specific combination of lotion and body splash, and know it's my gma.

#19 equus6

equus6

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:26 AM

I refurbished an old farm house.  The husband and wife that owned the home before me died here.  The wife was famous in our community for her cooking.  When my father and I were fixing the house we would get the strongest smells.  I was in the front room and my father was working in the kitchen.  We met each other in the hall with the same look on our faces.  The smell of bacon, eggs, and biscuits was so strong, our mouths began to water.  On occation, I still get food smells and ask Pauline what's for dinner, it smells great!!
Don't worry about the people in your past. There is a reason they didn't make it to your future....

#20 leesghost

leesghost

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

Hi Everyone.....

Best Wishes to all for the new year!

Here is a question......

Now i have experienced all of the above, a scent of a relative passing away, or a relative coming to visit me, or comming to reassure me when i have been feeling down.

BUT.......

I have also been told that certain scents of spirit can also indicate that  a negative spirit or energy has entered the room or house!

So could they also imatate a friend, family member, and loved one...  How do we know the difference? Often it is said to be a foul sweet sickly odour.... of a negative energy / spirit.

Does anyone have an opinion about this?

God Bless  x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users