Physical Mediumship!

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

#1 blubird

EVP

• GS Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:56 AM

Ive been hearing alot about this kind of psychic ability for quite a while now and I wondered what anyone else thought of it???

Apparantly a medium will sit in a "closet" construction usually a pole on which a curtain is hung and a chair for the medium to sit on. The medium is "strapped" to the chair by his/her wrists and ankles by some sort of retraint, usually tie wraps.
The medium will go into a deep state trance and apparantly be unaware of whats going on around him/her.
Spirit will then use the energy built up from the other "sitters" and the medium to either manifest or move objects around the room. Sometimes spirit will manifest via ectoplasm and shake hands with people or hug a relative in attendance.
The main thing about physical mediumship is the fact that "ectoplasm" is produced and for which spirit are able to form.

Below are some pictures of mediums producing "ectoplasm" and some manifistations of spirit people!
Judge for yourself the validity of these pictures. Also bear in mind that these photos where taken a very long time ago, Ive put up some of the dates.
As yet I have only found one picutre which is moden day, possibly taken 2006-2007.

Taken in 1933

Taken in 1920

Taken in 1920

Taken in 1920

Taken in 1948

And finally a present day one!!
These pictures are copy righted so i can only put the link up, but please take the time to look at them!!

http://www.warrencaylor.co.uk/MORE%20PHOTOS.htm

Ummmmmmmm! Believable or not?????

My Signature

#2 PIT leader

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Interests:ghost-hunting,videogames,metal and house music,horror films,comics

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:08 AM

I've heard of physical (or materialising) mediumship before. The pictures are creepy but look staged. It looks like cloth coming out in picture 4 and pictures 2 and 3 look like cardboard cut-outs. The modern day ones just look like a guy with a towel draped over his head. I remain open-minded on whether or not physical mediumship is possible though.

Edited by PIT leader, 05 January 2008 - 07:10 AM.

My Signature
We have such sights to show you!

IF YOU HAVE TIME, VIEW MY VIDEOS (NOT PARANORMAL) AT   https://www.youtube....cGDuiN3AKqdqNpQ

#3 candlewraith

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy & horror books & films; the paranormal; rats; drawing;
    music; halloween props & decor; the whispered, magical moments of connection to the universe from which we may learn.

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:01 AM

It's an intriguiging subject, but I agree, none of the photos seem genuine. All of the
images of people appear flat rather than have any dimension to them, and the ectoplasm pics do look more like cloth material than something ethereal. I've seen a few ectoplasm shots that are more believable, though I can't remember where. Thanks for bringing up this topic. Think I'm going to do some searching.....
My Signature
Posted Image

Wraithwood  - Images of Spirit & Dark Fantasy

#4 Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:08 AM

I do believe in physical phenomena, but I do not believe these photos to be real.  The so-called ecto coming out of the mouth looks like cheese cloth.  If I am not mistaken these are similar to the photos taken at Lily Dale and Camp Chesterfield.  Upon examination I believe they were determined not to be real.

I believe it is extremely rare to actually manifest spirits and ecto.  I have been in a sitting where a rain stick propped up in the corner began to make noise as if it had been turned over.  I have seen sparkles appear, but have never seen a full blown apparition be manifested.

I believe that some of the mediums at the spiritualist camps will do cabinet sittings.  They will also claim that a trumpet will rise up and deceased loved ones will speak out of it.  The theory is that the medium connects ecto from their voice box to the trumpet and spirit will "use" that to speak through it.  I saw this performed once at Chesterfield, but I personally did not believe it to be true.  JMHO

I have also had a silk done where faces appear on cloth in total darkness, and also had a card with an incredible picture on it.  It was supposed to be blank cards placed in a basket with colored pencils.  After an amount of time the cards were passed out with pictures on the front and messages written on the back from loved ones.

Hoyt Robbinette is the only person I know that performs these feats.

Amethyst
My Signature
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#5 trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:36 AM

Historically, People like Houdini (who really WANTED to find a "true medium") had a field day debunking this particular phenomenon.
99% of them turned out to be fakes, with the "cabinet" having become part of the illusion. (it hides what they're doing much the same way a similar cabinet might be part of stage magic.) most couldn't do ANYTHING, in a fully lit room, for motion-picture film (we have only still shots), and couldn't do the same thing without the cabinet.

My dad has had a stage magic hobby since he was a kid... but from watching him practice and having him describe how HE'D do some of these things, I'm not impressed at all. The use of the cabinet all by itself makes it look suspicious to people who know how stage illusions work.

My Signature

#6 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,036 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:49 AM

I've seen those pictures before somewhere in an article obout frauds. Yes, obviously they are fake. hehe that one lady even has a bad drawing attached to the top of her head!
My Signature
Posted Image

#7 blubird

EVP

• GS Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ Jan 5 2008, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've seen those pictures before somewhere in an article obout frauds. Yes, obviously they are fake. hehe that one lady even has a bad drawing attached to the top of her head!

I know I couldnt have done a worse one myself LOL happy0194.gif

I dont believe in MOST physical mediums although I have friends who regularly attend such sittings and have had really good results. But the difference is its not a stage show its done in the privacy of one of the members homes and theres only a few people who sit in the circle.
I watched abit of that program with Uri Gellar and Criss Angel and watched a man "spasm" on a chair infront of them. He was apparantly in contact with "spirit" but to me he looked like he was having a fit LOL
I think Criss Angel thought the same by his reaction!!
Thats the kind of thing i dont agree with, making a "show" and entertainment out of it. Most mediums i know just sit quietly, none of this foaming at the mouth and seizure type performance  happy0194.gif
My Signature

#8 trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

Even with only a very few people, sitting "right threre" it's still basically "stage magic" even though it's closer to "street magic"...

It's still 99.99% of the time, illusions and trickery rather than medium-ship... and the cabinet is a tool for the trick. (the cabinet is often as "tricked out" as a "lowrider"...)
My Signature

#9 blubird

EVP

• GS Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

Yep I agree Trin.

I always wondered why they had to sit in a cabinet!!  If this is real then surely theres not harm in sitting in the middle of a room!
They say they have to sit in a cabinet so that the energy can be channelled more effectivly, yeah right more like so you cant see what there doing LOL
To me sitting in the middle of a group of people would be just as effective if not more so!! But then they cant hide getting out of the tie wraps  happy0194.gif
My Signature

#10 trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

My dad has also taken up clowning with my mom. (Mom took some courses after us kids left for college, so now it's their second career.)... but has always done illusion magic, usually small things that he can do with the kids/audience right there, or at the restaurant table to keep everyone amused sort of thing.  It's amazing what he can do in his normal clothes, in a normal setting (restaurant) with just some coins and some cards, or the napkin from the table...  and just being quick with his hands.  smile.gif

So I see the cabinet as a big neon sign going "illusion, and not particularly clever."    Or if I'm rude "LOL, my Dad can do that..." smile.gif

My Signature

#11 indigocrow

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:10 AM

I went to a gallery that was dedicated to spirit photography. Alot of those photos and the ones I saw, fake, were stemmed from the Spiritualism movement. I do think physical mediumship is possible but not in that context. It is like comparing a true medium to a 1-800 psychic.

I love looking at the photos tho and seeing what people try to pass off, especially before photoshop, as evidence of spirits. The exhibit I went to had alot of modern day ones also and some were wonderful.

#12 blubird

EVP

• GS Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE(trin @ Jan 5 2008, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My dad has also taken up clowning with my mom. (Mom took some courses after us kids left for college, so now it's their second career.)... but has always done illusion magic, usually small things that he can do with the kids/audience right there, or at the restaurant table to keep everyone amused sort of thing.  It's amazing what he can do in his normal clothes, in a normal setting (restaurant) with just some coins and some cards, or the napkin from the table...  and just being quick with his hands.  smile.gif

So I see the cabinet as a big neon sign going "illusion, and not particularly clever."    Or if I'm rude "LOL, my Dad can do that..." smile.gif

Your right Trin most of these things can be passed off as illusion and its only the vunerable and total believers that refuse to see it for anything other than it is..........a trick of the mind and slight of hand!

If you look at todays illusionists they create wonderful tricks which look completely real.
I keep mentioning Criss Angel and thats because hes done some tricks which when you watch you know he shouldnt be able to do, but he does!!

I saw one of his tricks where he was skewered onto the top of a fence, shouldnt be able to do that but he did!!
Once of the best "tricks" ive seen, and to me proves that anything is possible!!
My Signature

#13 borntolive

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal and spiritual.<br />Drawing and painting.<br />Animals and birds.<br />Helping people

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

I'm sorry I don't mean this in any disrespectful way but...............
Those are soooo fake they make me laugh...........curtains/cloth cutout cardboard man (as flat as a pancake) etc.
What were they thinking back in those day's.

I heard of it before but I have never seen any proof of it, not on tape or picture (other than these ones).
I hope that some day someone can proof it exists.
Thanks for sharing though.

My Signature

Dreams happen to us.
        We do not dream.
                We are dreamt ~ Carl Jung.

Love lookes not with the eyes, but with the heart ~ W. Shakespear

#14 Sly-Spectre

Larry

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Drinking, Eating, Sleeping, Partying, Pool(Billiards to you Englishmen) and...Ghosts and Cryptozoology.<br /><br />I'm on Facebook look for Gerry Nix

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

What are we supposed to be looking at here? All I see is some guy with a bandage sticking out of his mouth. And why is it red?
My Signature
"Something weird is going on Jess." Simon whispered as they waited to be served. "I overheard Sara and Hector say something about 'getting back at you' in the library this morning."
Jessie thought for a moment, his face expressionless as usual.
"That's just crazy." he said. "I didn't think you even knew where the library was."

-Excerpt from my short story "Stabbed in the Front."

#15 blubird

EVP

• GS Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(Sly-Spectre @ Jan 7 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are we supposed to be looking at here? All I see is some guy with a bandage sticking out of his mouth. And why is it red?

LOL Youve got it in one Sly-Spectre!!

Yep as i see it the upto date pictures are of a man (who I wont name for legal reasons) sitting with a bandage or cloth coming out of his mouth.
He claims to be a physical medium but hes being very quickly proved to be a fake (and a big on at that) over here in the UK.

The reason the photos are red is because they have been taken in red light. Red light is suposed to be safe for physical mediums and ghostly ectoplasm manifistations to be photographed in!
It was also done in the victorian times like that but of course they come out black and white due to there not being colour film back then.

I have yet to find any more up to date photos to put up, mainly because photographs are not normally allowed in such situations for fear the medium maybe .............................proved to be a fake  happy0194.gif
My Signature

#16 Sly-Spectre

Larry

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Drinking, Eating, Sleeping, Partying, Pool(Billiards to you Englishmen) and...Ghosts and Cryptozoology.<br /><br />I'm on Facebook look for Gerry Nix

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

Maybe he should post the videos perhaps the thing coming out of his mouth is a haunted bandage...
My Signature
"Something weird is going on Jess." Simon whispered as they waited to be served. "I overheard Sara and Hector say something about 'getting back at you' in the library this morning."
Jessie thought for a moment, his face expressionless as usual.
"That's just crazy." he said. "I didn't think you even knew where the library was."

-Excerpt from my short story "Stabbed in the Front."

#17 Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

So, I know I keep bringing up two things that NO ONE IS answering back about..maybe because they don't know or haven't seen it , or maybe because it bores everyone to death, save me.

There is a documentary on Discovery called A Haunting In Georgia. It was filmed in 2002 and deals with the work of Dr. Roul, whoever that is. (I don't much in the parapsychology world, but...) There is a "physical medium" in that documentary and pretty much, she talks about how she "see's dead people" ala The 6th Sense.
There were no gauze bandages coming out of her mouth, but I got the feeling that whoever *she* is (I think the one on tv was an actress), she was real. Bandages not included.

Also, in the movie that no one wants to talk about either (lol) The Orphanage, they actually do this thing ^^^^^, where they sit the medium down and leave the area. She doesn't have stuff hanging from her nose though...
My Signature
Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

#18 Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

In the movie that nobody wants to talk about... A Haunting in Georgia  th_sarcastic_blum.gif  I don't know why they referred to that woman as a physical medium.  I think they used the term incorrectly.  Basicly all she did was walk around and sense the spirits in the home.  To me, she would be more clairvoyant or clairaudient....seeing and hearing spirits.  I think they misused the term.

Since I have not seen The Orphanage, I can't comment on what happened.

There are very few genuine physical mediums in the world to be honest.  And the red light they use is what is termed ruby light or ruby red.  They usually use those tiny litlle christmas tree light bulbs.  It is said that ectoplasm won't disapate or "melt" as quickly in ruby light and the energy can build.

Be leary of those who claim they can only do physical phenomena in total darkness.

As for Dr. William Roll, I found him to be a quirky little man.  He wanted to blame that little girl seeing ghosts as being on ley lines.  I find it hard to believe she hilucinated Mr. Gordy and knew his name and identified his picture....if indeed she did....because of ley lines.  I think he blames isotopes as well or something like that.

Amethyst
My Signature
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#19 Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

Love your reply Amethyst, hilarious.  good.gif

So, what is a "physical medium" really?
And what is the distinction between a clairvoyent and a physical medium?

Any answers are appreciated~
And please, no gauze bandage nose hanging ecto jokes. Unless they are really funny, and you can't help it.
My Signature
Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

#20 trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:12 PM

From a photographic POV, the ruby-light is interesting as 1) humans can see in it, but  not very well.  &  2) While it will show up on B&W film (which has to be processed in total darkness) B&W print paper won't pick it up.  So the "print dark room" for a B&W lab will often have similar lighting.

My Signature

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com