Children Of The Paranormal On A&e

• You cannot reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic

#1 Claire

Living Dead

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • Interests:Photography, painting and ghosthunting!

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

Anyone see that show last night after PS?  It is quite astonishing that these kids are so ridiculed by their schoolmates and isolated because of their gifts.  It was very sad to hear what some of them have gone through.  Chip Coffee and some others got these kids and their parents together for a camp.  It gave those kids and their parents a real support group.  And with Chip's  (I never cared for him but I was impressed with him in this show...he was really good with those kids) counseling (they also had a REAL counselor there with them) you could see in their eyes that they were beginning to appreciate their gift and even feel special.  They gave an update after the show and told how each child's life had improved from being at this camp.  It was very touching.  I never thought how difficult it must be for both child and parent to be in this situation.  Hopefully now that the paranormal is becoming more mainstream all gifted children will begin to see how special they really are, stop being afraid and stop being thought of as strange or spooky by their friends.  And hopefully the ridicule and isolation will end as well.  

If you see it on again, try to watch it!

Side note:  There was one point where all the kids saw a face in the window.  They showed the window and there imprinted WAS an old man's face.  That image looked so familiar.  I'd like for others to see it to see if its familiar to them.
My Signature
"We all go a little mad sometimes."  Norman Bates

#2 fbjewels

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:My kids, Reading, the Paranormal, Useless Movie Trivia

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

Oh my gosh, this sounds fascinating!  Unfortunately, I don't have cable.  Do they run shows online or is there some other way to watch this?  

I'm so tired of missing all of the interesting shows.  What sort of gifts did the children have?  I assume some were psychic.  I can't imagine ridiculing a child for any reason.

#3 BrxGhostWriter

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

I did see this on A&E when they first aired it a few weeks ago; I found it very touching, too. I felt so badly for some of those kids and their parents. They were scared and confused and isolated. They seemed genuinely gifted, too. Chip Coffey annoys me on Paranormal State but I also thought he was good on this show.

The face pressed on the glass just looked like a generic old man to me, but to me it looked like a real person pressed their greasy face up to it; I don't know that it was paranormal.

I'm glad those kids have each other now for support and don't feel like such outcasts.

Nicole

#4 RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts
  • Interests:All things Paranormal, Spiritual, and Supernatural, . Love Music, Camping, Horseback Riding, Cinema, Photography, Art, Native American Story-Telling. Kundalini Reiki, Holographic Quantum Physics etc.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

I saw it and thought it was quite good as well. I know what it's like to be left out, ridiculed, and isolated and it's very damaging to a childs sense of self worth. I am pretty sure that some of the things we are gonna see on television about the paranormal will continue to contain a bit of over-dramatization and sensationalism, (fake substitutions etc.), but I hope it continues to get more honest and mainstream. No one should have to feel like an outcast just because they exist as they are, especially not a child. (I also felt kinda sad for the parents because I also know what it feels like to wanna help your kid through something and not know how, it is truly frustrating)!!!  Perhaps, a special school for psychic/sensitive children is much closer to being a reality.

heart.gif
Ravenheart

My Signature

#5 cleyranratgirl

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Any art that reveals what is hidden (numerology, astrology, psychology, palmistry, hypnosis, etc.) Japanese food, manga/anime, cats, corsets, coincidences, techno or rock music (although I mostly gave up on music long ago), play station games... that's all I can think of for now.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

I think I heard of this show recently... did one episode feature a girl, about 10 yrs old who could communicate with trees? Wether or not it was that show, I was absolutely ecstatic when I heard of it, becuase I was around 10 when I first started to become aware that trees are sentient. Also, my boyfriend's mom saw it, which might help her realize i'm not insane. smile.gif

#6 Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:48 AM

A special school for children gifted in this manner is NOT the answer. That isolates them even more and will never teach them how to interact with people who aren't like them. The answer is to better educate the other children. Childhood is a time when we are trying to figure out who we are and how we relate to the world at large; not some tiny segment of it. By nature children are quite possibly the meanest and most spiteful individuals - but only because they don't know any better. It's our job as parents and teachers and any adult in a child's life to teach them that not everyone is the same and those differences are okay. If you're going to isolate gifted children, you might as well isolate every child who is different. Providing a camp for them to go to during the summer is one thing - camps are good for any group of children since today's kids would rather sit in front of the computer or a video game - but providing an isolating school is quite different.
My Signature

#7 Sly-Spectre

Larry

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Drinking, Eating, Sleeping, Partying, Pool(Billiards to you Englishmen) and...Ghosts and Cryptozoology.<br /><br />I'm on Facebook look for Gerry Nix

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:36 AM

Although they call it a school, I don't think it's a year round thing, so they won't be seperated from other children for the rest of their adolescent years.
My Signature
"Something weird is going on Jess." Simon whispered as they waited to be served. "I overheard Sara and Hector say something about 'getting back at you' in the library this morning."
Jessie thought for a moment, his face expressionless as usual.
"That's just crazy." he said. "I didn't think you even knew where the library was."

-Excerpt from my short story "Stabbed in the Front."

#8 blubird

EVP

• GS Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(Lady Sorbus @ Jan 10 2008, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A special school for children gifted in this manner is NOT the answer. That isolates them even more and will never teach them how to interact with people who aren't like them. The answer is to better educate the other children. Childhood is a time when we are trying to figure out who we are and how we relate to the world at large; not some tiny segment of it. By nature children are quite possibly the meanest and most spiteful individuals - but only because they don't know any better. It's our job as parents and teachers and any adult in a child's life to teach them that not everyone is the same and those differences are okay. If you're going to isolate gifted children, you might as well isolate every child who is different. Providing a camp for them to go to during the summer is one thing - camps are good for any group of children since today's kids would rather sit in front of the computer or a video game - but providing an isolating school is quite different.

Here Here, I quite agree.

If we seperate children then other children wont learn to be tolerant of anyone thats slightly different from them.

Its the same with seperating disabled children. I know alot of the schools dont have the facilities to cater for disabled children but even ones with slight differences get singled out and tormented.
Its up to the parents to educate there children that not every one is the same but then there are alot of predudice people out there.
Thats where children get there mean streaks from, by watching how the parents behave. They just copy cos they dont know any different.

Theres alot of schools in the UK that have there "token" disabled children and generally most other children are helpful and friendly towards them because they realise that just because the disabled persons needs are different there still children.

It seems that anyone who is slightly different whether its disabled or gifted get singled out and shut away when really they should be treated all the same.
I think alot of the predudice out there stems from that.
My Signature

#9 RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts
  • Interests:All things Paranormal, Spiritual, and Supernatural, . Love Music, Camping, Horseback Riding, Cinema, Photography, Art, Native American Story-Telling. Kundalini Reiki, Holographic Quantum Physics etc.

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

I totally disagree! No one said we should leave the other children in ignorance of the children with special gifts. There are schools for children who are intellectually gifted and musically gifted and I never suffered from that, so I think your argument is a mute point! Why would educating these children about thier psychic gifts further isolate them, it would not be any different then being away at camp. Besides, who has the burden here, the gifted ones or the ones without the gifts?

Ravenheart

My Signature

#10 Sly-Spectre

Larry

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Drinking, Eating, Sleeping, Partying, Pool(Billiards to you Englishmen) and...Ghosts and Cryptozoology.<br /><br />I'm on Facebook look for Gerry Nix

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

I would say the burden falls on the society who didn't impress upon their children that those children with unique qualitities and talents are no different than those who lack them. They need to teach children that one kid has a different perception of their environment than the next, and just because someone acts differently is not a reason to exclude them from anything important such as social interaction and making firends. Unfortunately, we all have different perceptions that we have taught our children, usually without knowing it, to perceive certain things as being natural and certain things as being unnatural. That's just my theory and I couldn't tell you how to start correcting this...Because according to my theory, this inheritance of perceiving what is natural is so old I couldn't tell you the exact root of it...and I'm far too lazy.
My Signature
"Something weird is going on Jess." Simon whispered as they waited to be served. "I overheard Sara and Hector say something about 'getting back at you' in the library this morning."
"That's just crazy." he said. "I didn't think you even knew where the library was."

#11 blubird

EVP

• GS Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(RavenHeart @ Jan 10 2008, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I totally disagree! No one said we should leave the other children in ignorance of the children with special gifts. There are schools for children who are intellectually gifted and musically gifted and I never suffered from that, so I think your argument is a mute point! Why would educating these children about thier psychic gifts further isolate them, it would not be any different then being away at camp. Besides, who has the burden here, the gifted ones or the ones without the gifts?

Ravenheart

If you read the first line of the post it says these children are being "ridiculed by their schoolmates and isolated because of their gifts."

Surely if you remove that child who is gifted then you are just futher putting the spotlight onto them for any gift or talent they may have. Making them stand out in such away as they get bullied by children who dont accept or understand the differences.
I totally understand the need for schools which help children with gifts to build and grow but to take a child out of there normal surroundings because there getting treated like that is totally wrong in my eyes. Why cant they get that in main stream schools!
The average "gifted" child IS different than others, many have forms of autisum and they need to be nurtured in surroundings giving them the chance to expand and grow but in all aspects of life.

I have known people who have disabled children and refer to them as "special", well im sorry but they are no more special than any other child in my opinion. Yes they have different needs but all children need to be loved and looked after. Every child is special.

What needs to happen is education of the children who are the bullies, and there is no other word for them.

I agree also with Sly, it does fall on society and parents to teach their children.
Its the parents who teach them how to behave and if the parent is unaccepting of differences then so will the children.
How many times do we hear that an abused child has turned into the abuser! Its because they know no different, thats how they think they should act and behave. We all know thats wrong but how can a child learn, if there not told, not to stare if the parent is doing it!

If a parent is standing in a playground waiting for little Jonny or Jennie to come out of school and they have a smaller child with them and they see the "gifted" child and happen to make a derogitory comment and maybe have a look of disdain on there faces, that smaller child will pick up on that and more than likely take on the same reaction.
Thats what children do they learn by example.

My Signature

#12 RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

I did read the first line of the post. If these kids are being bullied because they have special gifts then the children doing the bullying need to be educated. So do the gifted children, but the things they need to be educated about may be different. Why teach a child with no interest in being more psychic how to utilize a gift they haven't begun to develop, recognize, or show an interest in?

I don't think any gifted child should be excluded from being with other "less gifted" children, but just as there are classes for the musically gifted, why couldn't there be classes for the psychically gifted as well? There are Medical Schools for those with an interest in medicine for doctors, but that doesn't teach those ignorant of medicine to hate doctors does it?? I am talking about the specialization for the education of psychically gifted children not racial  segregation or elitism.

Ravenheart

My Signature

#13 RoseIsRain

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

Well, considering this was the same channel that spawned the evil 'Paranormal State', I was VERY apprehensive at first.
But, like many of you have said, it's a shame that people so wish to deny unique gifts and the paranormal in general, that they'd take it out on the children.  Besides, we all know just how cruel children can be at times.

However, I don't think they need to be isolated and protected simply because they may very well encounter ignorance all their lives, and they must learn how to cope.

Edited by RoseIsRain, 10 January 2008 - 10:04 PM.

#14 RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

I agree, these children can't really be protected from reality, nor should they be protected or isolated.
heart.gif
Ravenheart

My Signature

#15 Sean lennon2

Ectoplasm

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(ClaireGStudy @ Jan 9 2008, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone see that show last night after PS?  It is quite astonishing that these kids are so ridiculed by their schoolmates and isolated because of their gifts.  It was very sad to hear what some of them have gone through.  Chip Coffee and some others got these kids and their parents together for a camp.  It gave those kids and their parents a real support group.  And with Chip's  (I never cared for him but I was impressed with him in this show...he was really good with those kids) counseling (they also had a REAL counselor there with them) you could see in their eyes that they were beginning to appreciate their gift and even feel special.  They gave an update after the show and told how each child's life had improved from being at this camp.  It was very touching.  I never thought how difficult it must be for both child and parent to be in this situation.  Hopefully now that the paranormal is becoming more mainstream all gifted children will begin to see how special they really are, stop being afraid and stop being thought of as strange or spooky by their friends.  And hopefully the ridicule and isolation will end as well.  

If you see it on again, try to watch it!

Side note:  There was one point where all the kids saw a face in the window.  They showed the window and there imprinted WAS an old man's face.  That image looked so familiar.  I'd like for others to see it to see if its familiar to them.

Ya that face freacked me out and the part that the kids felt something in the bedroom that was a great PS can't wait for the next one Picture 510.gif
My Signature

#16 Stacy

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is my children! But I am interested in all things paranormal. Ghost hunting is my favorite hobby!!

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:53 AM

I didn't see the show, but am responding to the debate on traditional schooling, verse's schooling designed for the childrens specific need's.  I have some very strong feelings on this issue, that I know most would not agree with.

My son is "gifted", however, not with psychic abilitie's, but a high IQ, which in itself is difficult to handle.  Not only is there ridicule from their peers, but also the pressure they put on themselves to fit in, to be just like everyone else.

My son has had an extremely difficult time dealing with being different.  Until about 5th grade, he didn't have many friends.  His best friends from age 5-10 were a couple of boys 5 and 6 years older than he was, because they were mentally on his level.  

My son made straight A's, up until he hit 7th grade, when he completely lost interest in school.  This was when the ridicule of other kid's escalated and really started hitting home, and he began to change to fit in.  His grade's began to drop, dramatically, until he flunked 7th, and 8th grade, though they passed him due to test grade's and IQ score's.  He later admitted to me that if hadn't started acting stupid, and getting bad grade's, he'd have no friend's and all the kids would still be picking on him.

By this point he had started hanging around with a questionable group of kids, who had started getting into a little trouble with the law here and there, and also with an older group of kid's, who was also getting into trouble with the law.

It got to the point where I could not deal with him at all.  He was drinking and doing drugs, and getting into brushes with the law himself by mid-9th grade.  I even considered asking my ex-husband to move in with me to help me get control.  He is a sophomore now, and I just took him out of school to homeschool, due to once again failing all of his classes.  

My point to all of this is, I wish I'd felt like I'd had other option's when entering my son into school.  I don't feel like placing him into the traditional public school system, with "normal" children, was at all in his best interest.  I feel like all I did was send my son off to crime-school, and in with a pack of wolve's.  They are too busy dealing with the children falling behind academically (due to pressure from school and district), to concern themselve's with children who may have other need's, or whom may be dealing with bullying or pressure from other children.

This is when the children become lost.  Mom and dad can no longer watch over them 24/7, and no trust, bond or relationship is formed between teacher and child, to either motivate, defend or inspire, therefor the children are left to fend for themselve's, thus, devising their own methods of coping, motivating, getting attention, and gaining acceptance.

I am thoroughly disappointed in the public school system, and completely disgusted by what our children are exposed to on a daily basis.  For instance, I was picking up homework for my son when he was ill, and I came out to about 20 cop car's just waiting for the kids to get out of school.  There had been a gang fight at the school a week before, and a stabbing, so this was now a daily occurance to keep the violence down.  

So, if it were me, and I had the option of sending my child to a school where his difference's were accepted and not something to be ashamed of, where he was encouraged, could openly learn, gain confindence, prosper, and be proud of his abilities and accomplishments, I would surely turn back the clock.  I don't think my son would be where he is now, if he hadn't fallen through the crack's of the traditional school system.

If I'd only known then, what I know now!  I will not make that same mistake with my daughter, who starts school next year.  Even homeschooling is a better option than leaving them to their own devices and sending them off to crime-school.  

You cannot completely shield your child from the real world, they need to know there is bad as well as good, but I don't think they need to witness the harsh reality of it on a daily basis, especially the children that are most vulnerable, whom in order to gain acceptance, become part of it.

There are a number of way's for children to interact with others without becoming social outcast's.  There are group's to get them involved with, sports activities, neighborhood children, family, etc...  There are also activitie's children can join through the local school districts whether attending them or not, this is where our tax dollars comes in handy, you still qualify for many of the benefits the public school system has to offer.

I don't feel like sending a child to a school where their "difference's" are nurtured, their "gift's" allowed to grow, and they are accepted for who they are, is detrimental to the person they are to become.  Who is stronger mentally and emotionally, the child who was ridiculed and tortured by his peer's to the point of taking a gun to school and ending his life, and those around him; or the child who was allowed to be himself, make friends, grow emotionally, and mentally, without being scorned.

I'm sorry this is so long, but as you can see, schooling is a very touchy subject with me right now.  I would rather my child be semi-sheltered, than exposed to every element our so-called "real world" has to offer.

Stacy

#17 Claire

Living Dead

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • Interests:Photography, painting and ghosthunting!

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:58 AM

Stacy,

I am so sorry to hear what you and your son have gone through.  I, too, (I guess many of us were) teased and taunted through most of my schooling.  I handled it by keeping to myself and hiding in my room.  Public School CAN be a very scary place...especially these days.  As hard as it was for ME, SOOO many years ago, kids are subjected to SOO much more now.

I hope that your son can now thrive and grow emotionally and learn to appreciate his talents.  

Thank you for sharing your story.

Claire
My Signature
"We all go a little mad sometimes."  Norman Bates

#18 Sly-Spectre

Larry

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:02 PM

Hey Satcy, thanks for sharing your story about your son. I hope for the best turnaround for him and I hope for the best for your daughter when she starts school.

I know public schooling can be hard. I was one of those gifted students too. My two cents, take it for what it's worth, is to put your kids in martial arts classes. They'll learn discipline, self confidence, and self control. Not to mention if a fellow classmate gets out of line and the teachers won't do much to help, you're kid can have a field day stomping on his face.  ninja.gif

I know parents will scream fighting never solves anything at it only makes things worse. But I got to tell you, ever since what I did in high school nobody really tried picking on me then after. "Fighting never solves anything" is a half truth, " they other half is "neither does sitting there and taking it."

Teachers and Prinipals can only do so much. If your son happens to come across these kids that are picking on him in the streets, then your kids have only themselves. Anyways that's my two cents, take it for what it's worth.
My Signature

#19 Stacy

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is my children! But I am interested in all things paranormal. Ghost hunting is my favorite hobby!!

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for all the kind words, it means allot.

I am almost ashamed to admit this, but several years back, my ex and I both told my son not to take it anymore, to fight back when they hit him.  He thought he would get into trouble with us, as we had always told him there is never a reason to resort to violence.  It was difficult explaining to him that there are time's when you have no other choice, when we'd previously taught him otherwise.

This did work for a time, but once he started getting the better of them, they started getting him in trouble by saying he was starting fights with them and beating them up.  School personnel began to believe he was bullying the bullies, so he stopped defending himself, started acting dumb, and failing classes, all to become just like them.

We're definitely a work in progress, thankfully I have a supportive family, his father is here almost daily now, and we are all trying, hoping to eventually get through to him.

I know my intelligent, loving son is in there somewhere, which for a time was hard to imagine, but at least I see bits and piece's of him now.  All I can do is hope and pray that one day he outgrows this need to be with the group of kid's he's befriended, and know that God didn't give him the gift he has given him, only to waste it away.

I continue to stand by what I said, it is a shame, that all in the name of learning academically, or teaching them the ways of the world, our children are being subjected to far more than we could ever imagine, and if some of those most vulnerable can be saved by semi-shielding them, I see no reason to expose them to ALL that today's society has to offer.  

I would a whole lot rather, imagine seeing my grown son sitting around talking to his taped glasses, pocket protector wearing, medical research buddies, than rubbing elbow's with his cell mate's.

Stacy

#20 RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

Stacy,

Thank you for the PM. Just as sometimes things go wrong no matter how hard we try, sometimes we end up in a beautiful place even if the road we traveled to get there is long, difficult and bumpy. I am wishing you and your family the best and will keep you and your son in my thoughts and prayers.

love and blessings,
heart.gif
Ravenheart

My Signature

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com