Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

Stacy, Thanks for sharing that story.
I can not imagine how hard it must be to raise a child today. I don't have any children, and it blows my mind what parents have to go through.

Your story rings true of my own adolescence as well.

I believe in the public school system, and the idea of how it should work, but it is failing and has failed us for many years because of the corruption and beaurocracy that is attached to it.
Children should get the same degree of education at every school, but it is a fact that they don't.
And gifted children, because they are not under-performing, are generally ignored.

Is there anywhere else your son could go?? I know you are home schooling him, but I am just thinking, if there were another school, he would be able to socialize with other teens that are on the right path.
Teens seem to have a hard time with their parents, it would be so beneficial for him to get involved with other people his age that are doing good and can be an influence (friends are a HUGE influence at that age).
Also, I completely agree with Sly about martial arts, it was a savior for several of the guys I now hang out with that grew up in harder areas. But it can be pricey.

And, maybe he can find a mentor or get involved in something for his academics in addition to the physical stuff.
At 15, I was very impressionable. I think most of us were. So, I guess the challenge is to find outlets that give him the right impression.
Hard work...
If you need anything or any ideas from me, PM me. Maybe I can help in some way... Picture 562.gif
Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

#22 Stacy

Stacy

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is my children! But I am interested in all things paranormal. Ghost hunting is my favorite hobby!!

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

Thanks Ubriaca,

Basically my only options are homeschool, or private school, which at present I can't afford.  

There is an alternative school for problem kid's, but in my opinion it kind of defeat's the purpose to introduce them to yet another group of kid's, that are exactly like, or worse, than the kid's you are trying to lead them away from.  My son has a couple of friend's attending that school, and as far as I can see, it has done nothing to change or benefit them, other than they can stay up partying half the night, sleep late, and attend school for only a couple of hours a day.  What good is that diploma when your highest aspiration is to become the biggest drug dealer in town.

He does have a couple of really good friends, that are good kids, not too say they don't get into the normal trouble's of taday's teens, but they call him less and less, due to the group he's hanging around with.  He has mentioned college lately, so I'm hoping some of their college talk is starting to rub off on him.

I have tried sport's minded activitie's, but as my son has always been unusually tall from a young age, and at nearly 6'3 it seem's he has never quite gotten used to his height, and is quite clumsy, especially if around a group of people.  He play's basketball very well when playing with friends, but when involved in an actual game, he stands there (I think) hoping the ball won't come to him, avoiding physical contact, and never agressively trying to help his team.

My main concern right now I guess, is to accelerate his academic's in order to catch him up.  If he will continue with the accelerated program I could have him graduated a year or so early, and start him into college classe's, where he might find something that will hold his interest enough to motivate him into continuing his education.

Thanks again to all of you for the kind words, and suggestion's.  It's nice to be reminded that there are caring and considerate people out there.  Stacy

#23 champell

champell

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Children<br />Animals<br />Nature<br />Ghosts<br />History

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:05 AM

There are some VERY terrific public schools out there.  Check out the public school system in Tenafly, New Jersey... it can't be beat!  The wealthy people in this town send their children to public school because it is so awesome.  Real Estate is booming in that area just because of the public school system.  So even though I agree that many public school systems are failing... I do believe that it is the parents that are failing the children even more.  

Did you ever think of moving to a better area that has less crime thus less crime in it's schools?  It does go hand in hand.  That is what I have done...

Champell

Edited by champell, 14 January 2008 - 07:07 AM.

#24 Stacy

Stacy

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is my children! But I am interested in all things paranormal. Ghost hunting is my favorite hobby!!

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:31 AM

My entire family is here, so I really don't want to pick up and move, nor am I financially in a position to do so.

For the moment even the school district agree's we have no other options, as he had fallen so far behind, that the only way to pass this year, and possibly catch up to his classmates was to homeschool.  

Also, unless he's willing to put in the effort to keep up with studies, doing homework, etc., moving wouldn't be an answer to our problems, nor is going back to school.  

Homeschooling take's only a third of the time as traditional schooling, so if I can just keep him motivated enough to graduate, and possibly taking some college courses, it might steer him away from the school drop-outs and druggie's, and in with a better group of kid's.

#25 champell

champell

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Children<br />Animals<br />Nature<br />Ghosts<br />History

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:14 AM

Well I wish you guys the best of luck.  He is lucky to have a mother that puts in as much effort as you do!   biggrin.gif

Champell

Edited by champell, 15 January 2008 - 07:15 AM.

#26 Stacy

Stacy

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(champell @ Jan 15 2008, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I wish you guys the best of luck.  He is lucky to have a mother that puts in as much effort as you do!   biggrin.gif

Champell

Thanks Champell.  I don't know about effort, I think it's more desparation than anything else.  You just keep truckin along.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users